S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

W220 batter charge visit workshop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 mercedes benz s430 w220
W220 battery charge visit workshop

03 w220. Red battery charge visit workshop message. The battery and alternator seems to be working fine. 12.5v with the car off 16.4 with the car running. Any ideas? Is 16.4 too high? Lost need some guidance

Last edited by Edwin Ebanks; 08-12-2019 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Wrong spelling
Old 08-12-2019, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Yes, 16.4 is high - no idea whether that is what is setting the diagnostic code. The usual charge level is 13.8 - 14.2 vdc. Make sure that you are measuring with an accurate voltmeter/multimeter.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 mercedes benz s430 w220
Ok thanks for your reply. I checked with the multimeter and it’s giving me 14v. When I use the menu holding the res button on the dash to pull up the reading inside the car it reads 16.4.
Also some of the buttons on middle of the dash don’t work as well. Other than that car starts right up. I drive it everyday. Sometimes a message for teleaid come up and one for check light bulb. But not always. The battery message come on all the time.
Originally Posted by wallyp
Yes, 16.4 is high - no idea whether that is what is setting the diagnostic code. The usual charge level is 13.8 - 14.2 vdc. Make sure that you are measuring with an accurate voltmeter/multimeter.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by Edwin Ebanks
Ok thanks for your reply. I checked with the multimeter and it’s giving me 14v. When I use the menu holding the res button on the dash to pull up the reading inside the car it reads 16.4.
Also some of the buttons on middle of the dash don’t work as well. Other than that car starts right up. I drive it everyday. Sometimes a message for teleaid come up and one for check light bulb. But not always. The battery message come on all the time.
16.4 is way too high , if your alternator is putting out that much it can damage electronics so that’s why it’s throwing the error. But if it’s not putting out that much and it’s just an inaccurate reading of 14v actual output then you can ignore the warning .
The following users liked this post:
pmercury (08-14-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Where did you check with the multimeter? If it was at the battery, there may be another problem...

I would suggest that you check the following:
Open the hood, and find the large black plastic HVAC plenum grill on the right rear of the engine compartment. With good lighting, peer down into the grill, and check for any water in the bottom. There is a small drain hole at the bottom of the funnel-shaped plenum. It is all too common for this drain to get plugged with leaves and debris. The drain must be kept clear! If water builds up in the plenum, it will spill over into the car under the carpet. There will be no sign of visible water in the car. This water will travel under the carpet along the strengthening recesses stamped into the floor pan, and will flood the main battery cables located under the aluminum cover under the carpet.This will cause corrosion and all kinds of electrical problems. The water will continue to the rear of the car to the SAM (Signal Acquisition Module) located on the left side under the rear seat cushion. There it will cause corrosion inside the fuse/relay/computer equipment inside the SAM, with continued serious electrical problems.

If you find water under the floor, the cures include:
Keeping the drain clear;
Pulling the carpet and its padding and insulation and thoroughly drying them;
Thoroughly checking and cleaning all of the electrical connections and fuses, being very careful to avoid erroneous connections and short circuits on these major points;
Opening, drying thoroughly, then checking, and cleaning the SAM components.

There are many threads, videos, etc., concerning this problem on-line.