S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Key programming

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 s500
Key programming

Does anyone have an idea if I buy an aftermarket key online how much the dealership charges to program it to my car?
Old 01-27-2020, 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
No dealership weil ever "program" an aftermarket (anyway useless) key. The only way is to order a new key from the MB Dealer. Cost vary from country to country, but a ball park number maybe 300$+
Old 01-27-2020, 01:24 PM

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
001 s600, 94 sl600
Unhappy Used Key Reprogramming --no joy

Originally Posted by Lsaueezey
Does anyone have an idea if I buy an aftermarket key online how much the dealership charges to program it to my car?
European theft prevention laws force vehicle manufacturers to 'sole source' certain 'theft prone' parts such that they cannot be reused in other cars or replacement components purchased by unauthorized parties. This is to dramatically reduce thefts of entire cars and theft of and reuse of stolen or 'recycled' critical (must use to operate the car) components. Mercedes-Benz uses a 4 component system that includes the Electronic Ignition module, the electronic key/keyFOB, the ignition 'switch, and the shift selection mechanism including its electronic modules . These components are 'hard coded ( to each other and the specific car VIN and cannot be 'recoded'. A special, segregated computer system at THE FACTORY generates a unique 'password' for the set of components which cannot be changed--ever. The 'key fob/key each include 'chips' that must match the special 'password' for the constellation of components before cranking, ignition, running, gear selection, and other functions can be performed. IF a component of this 'set' fails or is lost. one either has to replace ALL the set with NEW ordered by a DEALER, or purchase a NEW COMPONENT for THAT VEHICLE from a DEALER who MUST verify the legal ownership of the vehicle, your identity, the vehicle VIN, all visually confirmed by the 'pre authorized individuals' in the Dealership who can authorize the new component purchase. Paper and electronic records must be retained and each Dealership is physically audited for strict compliance seveal (unannounced) times each year. The penalties for non-compliance are substantial and multiple instances will result in Dealership license cancellation.

While a 'locksmith' can 'cut' a mechanically duplicate key from a 'good' one, they cannot RECODE or CODE one. so it is completely useless. A NEW key FOB and metal KEY can only be made and CODED for that unique vehicle at THE FACTORY by that separate Computer System, which performed the original CODING of all the 'theft prone components.' Furthermore, the total number of 'keys' that can be manufactured in limited to ??6?.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:28 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
W221 S500 2010
Originally Posted by Kebowers47
European theft prevention laws force vehicle manufacturers to 'sole source' certain 'theft prone' parts such that they cannot be reused in other cars or replacement components purchased by unauthorized parties. This is to dramatically reduce thefts of entire cars and theft of and reuse of stolen or 'recycled' critical (must use to operate the car) components. Mercedes-Benz uses a 4 component system that includes the Electronic Ignition module, the electronic key/keyFOB, the ignition 'switch, and the shift selection mechanism including its electronic modules . These components are 'hard coded ( to each other and the specific car VIN and cannot be 'recoded'. A special, segregated computer system at THE FACTORY generates a unique 'password' for the set of components which cannot be changed--ever. The 'key fob/key each include 'chips' that must match the special 'password' for the constellation of components before cranking, ignition, running, gear selection, and other functions can be performed. IF a component of this 'set' fails or is lost. one either has to replace ALL the set with NEW ordered by a DEALER, or purchase a NEW COMPONENT for THAT VEHICLE from a DEALER who MUST verify the legal ownership of the vehicle, your identity, the vehicle VIN, all visually confirmed by the 'pre authorized individuals' in the Dealership who can authorize the new component purchase. Paper and electronic records must be retained and each Dealership is physically audited for strict compliance seveal (unannounced) times each year. The penalties for non-compliance are substantial and multiple instances will result in Dealership license cancellation.

While a 'locksmith' can 'cut' a mechanically duplicate key from a 'good' one, they cannot RECODE or CODE one. so it is completely useless. A NEW key FOB and metal KEY can only be made and CODED for that unique vehicle at THE FACTORY by that separate Computer System, which performed the original CODING of all the 'theft prone components.' Furthermore, the total number of 'keys' that can be manufactured in limited to ??6?.
All that is true. Unfortunately, a well trained thief with a face mask and a gun is as effective as all ownership paperwork in the world. Besides, high level car theft sydicates have access to all MB tools and "special segregated computers" they need and then some. The final result is that cars are still being stolen by the boatload (literally), but you and I cannot get a spare key done.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

By these guys you may get a key for money. But soon enough you may not need the key anymore, as the car is gone
Old 01-28-2020, 10:10 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
W221 S500 2010
You don´t understand what I mean. What I mean is that life is made miserable for you when you need one of those "anti-theft" spares, whereas the thieves can get your car whenever they want. You want me to accept all those "anti theft" measures? easey, give me a lifetime full value free theft coverage. If they don´t do that is because they don´t trust their safety systems. Only work to deter petty thieves and to **** off owners.
The following users liked this post:
doni01 (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I understood what you meant. My comment was meant sarcasticly.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:06 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
2009 E350 4M Avantgarde;mistress 2002 S600; wife 2014 C300 4M
Originally Posted by Lsaueezey
If you can't afford or don''t have a second key, you shouldn't be driving an MB (it rhymes!)

Whenever I go on a trip with any of my MBs, I always give to my wife the second key to guard.
There is nowhere in North America where you will get a new key from a dealership in less than 4 days.

Last edited by kraut56; 01-28-2020 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:01 PM

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts
2013 S550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by kraut56
There is nowhere in North America where you will get a new key from a dealership in less than 4 days.
That is true!! First thing I did when I bought my Mercedes was to order a spare key since mine came only with one. I just didn't want to get stranded somewhere without it and have to wait. Unfortunately they are not cheap either
Old 01-29-2020, 11:54 AM

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
001 s600, 94 sl600
Yes, getting a new (functioning) mechanical key or key FOB is both costly and annoying and slow (several days) --because the new key/FOB must be 'coded' by the special/segregated Computer System that made the original one---in Germany at the factory. While a 'locksmith' can 'cut' a new mechanical key--it is useless and can not do anything other than open the trunk lock (if it has not been electronically locked). Dealers are required (by MBZ) and in Europe to keep detailed records for EVERYKEY /keyFOB they order (and are subjected to unannounced audits at least once per year.) Of course, the 'professional' thieves have 'picked the lock' so to speak and can still take a car, but it is no longer a trivial exercise--even for them. IF the car is equipped with electronic communication, the car can be 'bricked' rendered non-working' by the manufacturer.
One day soon every car purchaser and authorized driver will have to have an identity chip implanted (similar to pet ID chips) synchronized to the car making it inoperable to all others. [could the ID Chip be capable of 'bricking' the person?]
Old 02-02-2020, 10:57 AM

Received 208 Likes on 114 Posts
2019 W222 S560 4Matic /2019 Chevy Suburban Premier
It takes about 3-4 days (they have to be ordered from TX USA), then programmed to your car.
$375ish is the price multiple dealers in NJ have quoted me.
Plus you will get the 'new' chrome key...
Old 02-14-2024, 10:37 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
S-600 w220, Nissan s13 coupe, and Nissan s13 convertible
I paid $650 for a new key last year. It took 2 weeks for me to get the key and the keyless go doesn't work. I call BS on not being able to reprogramming old keys and stuff. I some how deleted the Vin in my eis. If you can delete it the you can write it. You just need the right tools and lots of know how to get it done. Trying to figure it out right now lol
Old 02-14-2024, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
Yes it can be done but you need special software to virginze and reprogram I think even star das can’t do it
Old 02-16-2024, 03:49 AM

I used a cdgi key programmer and was able to program a key to start my w220 s600 but I couldn't figure out how to get the buttons to work. I just bought the xhorse watch which is supposed to work with keyless go. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to program it with the xhorse mini programming tool. It'd be awesome having a keyless go watch, especially since the keyless go on my key stopped working. Idk what's wrong with it nut the lock button now unlocks the car. I have to roll down my window, lock the doors, shut down the car, pull out the key, and then close the window from the outside. Needless to say its a pain in the ***
Old 02-17-2024, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 287 Likes on 218 Posts
'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
The Xhorse Watch is not Mercedes compatible. If you want to do Mercedes keys the best 'inexpensive' system is the Xhorse VVDI MB. It won't do everything and you will need other tools, but it is a good start.
Old 02-18-2024, 04:37 PM

Man sucks that the xhorse watch doesn't work with mercedes. It's advertised to work with keyless go so I assumed it would work with mercedes. I did some research today and it seems only the vvdi plus works for mercedes. I don't know if I want to spend $1500 for a hobby. I'll probably fail to figure out how to program these keys and it'll end up sitting in the corner somewhere in my room