Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 07:16 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Mercedes S55
New 20's Causing ESP and BAS to come on

Hey everyone,
I've just recently put some Lowenhart LDRs on my 2002 S55. For the first two weeks, it was normal until recently, it caused my ESP and BAS malfunction lights to come on. When I step on the brakes, I feel a grind from the petal (similiar to the feel of ABS kicking on on wet roads). I took the wheels off and replaced them with my factories and my problems went away. Called Mercedes and as I expected they said the wheels were too big. I don't think so considering many others have 20 inch wheels on their S classes. Does anyone know what could be causing this problem?
Old 07-30-2004, 09:25 PM

What is the exact size of the wheel (ie. 20x8.5, 20x9 etc)?

What size tires are you running?

On first glance/thought it would seem you have the incorrect tire size and the overall rolling diameter is off more then the car likes, and is causing your problems.

I run 20x9 wheels alll around with 255/35/20 tires with no problems.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:38 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 Mercedes S55
I'm running 20x9 and 20x10 in the rear. Tire sizes are 245/35 and 275/30. I was told this was the right configuration and I do believe that the off-sets are also correct for my car.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:45 AM

CLK 320 (W208)
Hi

Did you fix the problem you were having? If so what was the issue?

regards,

Richard
AUSCLK320
Old 02-20-2005, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Hey Masturkev....

Originally Posted by masturkev
I'm running 20x9 and 20x10 in the rear. Tire sizes are 245/35 and 275/30. I was told this was the right configuration and I do believe that the off-sets are also correct for my car.
Those wheel and tire sizes should work just fine on your car, it must be your off sets causing problems. The correct range for W220 is 31mm-46mm with some of the lower# off sets your wheel width could be causing your problems.
Have you seen Lars Kleemann car in the CL section? the CL uses the same off sets as the S, and he's running 20x10 fronts & 20x11 rears all are 36mm off sets, also his car is ridiculously lowered and he says it works just fine..... it must be your off sets...The only problem you could encounter if you have the propper off sets, is some light fender rubbing usally in the rear going over bumpy roads (Fix is-getting the rear fenders rolled)
Hope this helps Sean.....
Old 02-21-2005, 06:10 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 Mercedes S55
Dealership fixed my problem...

Hey Sean,
Thanks for the reply. I got that problem fixed at my dealership a few months back. They replaced some rotation sensor in the middle of the passenger side hub that was malfunctioning and that solved the problem. It is still under warranty, so there was no charge. I think the bigger rims caused the problem to escalate because when I put the factory rims on, the problem stopped. Anyways, everything is good now. How are your new bixenons? I'm still waiting on getting my set. Maybe next month.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Hey Masturkev....

Originally Posted by masturkev
Hey Sean,
Thanks for the reply. I got that problem fixed at my dealership a few months back. They replaced some rotation sensor in the middle of the passenger side hub that was malfunctioning and that solved the problem. It is still under warranty, so there was no charge. I think the bigger rims caused the problem to escalate because when I put the factory rims on, the problem stopped. Anyways, everything is good now. How are your new bixenons? I'm still waiting on getting my set. Maybe next month.
Yeah Bi-xenons are a must do upgrade besides looking great, I can't believe what a difference they make in lighting up the road, it's like I have dual flood lights hooked up!! I think there outstanding!!
Steve K. Is going to be installing the new mirrior upgrade on his next Southern Cali. trip about 2 months from now...I'll be taking pic's after he puts those on. I want my car to look complete befeore taking the next round of photos, I may be getting some new wheels soon so the next pic's should look pretty different.
If you get the chance, have Steve Krabbenborg do the Bi-xenon swap on your car or any other mods, the guy is awesome!! he knows what he's doing.. And talk about great prices!! I don't know how he does it???
Old 02-21-2005, 09:01 PM

2000 S-Class
I just had my tires replaced and the dash flashed a warning light with the picture of the steering wheel in red. I am not sure what this means either, it said the vehicle do not drive or something I am having Topline Auto take it to the dealers