S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

S430 ECU swap into s500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S500
S430 ECU swap into s500

Hello peoples. Hope you are staying safe in the midst of the stay at home orders.

I am having an issue with the ignition of this 2003 S500 4Matic that I bought off someone. I am doing an engine swap (which is almost done) and swapping all Ignition, shifter and ECU combo.
Question is. "can I swap in a combo from same year S430? Or will I have issues with the ECU trying to control the bigger engine?

All pointers on which direction is best to go will be appreciated.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 425 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by daqangel
Hello peoples. Hope you are staying safe in the midst of the stay at home orders.

I am having an issue with the ignition of this 2003 S500 4Matic that I bought off someone. I am doing an engine swap (which is almost done) and swapping all Ignition, shifter and ECU combo.
Question is. "can I swap in a combo from same year S430? Or will I have issues with the ECU trying to control the bigger engine?

All pointers on which direction is best to go will be appreciated.
it is best if you swap in both the engine , and the 4 part set of key ecu ignition and shifter. But it should work if you just swap the engine only , without those other parts . May not have the perfect tune but it will work
Old 04-21-2020, 01:01 PM

2002 S500
Originally Posted by tusabes
it is best if you swap in both the engine , and the 4 part set of key ecu ignition and shifter. But it should work if you just swap the engine only , without those other parts . May not have the perfect tune but it will work
I appreciate your quick response.

To clarify, the engine being swapped in is from an s500. And because the ignition is messed up is why I am swapping in the set.

I was worried that the ECU from the s430 may not be able to fully utilize the extra power that the s500 engine has...I am not that savvy at all. lol
Old 04-21-2020, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by daqangel
I appreciate your quick response.

To clarify, the engine being swapped in is from an s500. And because the ignition is messed up is why I am swapping in the set.

I was worried that the ECU from the s430 may not be able to fully utilize the extra power that the s500 engine has...I am not that savvy at all. lol
there are numerous people who swapped the 500 and even the amg 55 engine into their c43 without changing ecu . You’ll be fine
The following users liked this post:
daqangel (04-25-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 11:48 AM

s500
Same thing but faced issues

Hi. I’m having 4 set of ignition, key, ecu and shifter from a s430. And am did swap them into my s500. But bow engine shuts off right after starting. And after one or two more attempts to start it, it won’t do nothing. I’ve checked it with my icarsoft device. I did have a “esm drive authorization...” code. But then I reseted the code and it didn’t come again. But still does the same thing and no codes.
I’m seeing the “cut-off solenoid valve status” as “not start” As well. Which I believe is my issue. Does the shifter selector has issues?
another update is that I See my immobilizer is activated
any help?

Last edited by taregh se; 07-03-2020 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by taregh se
Hi. I’m having 4 set of ignition, key, ecu and shifter from a s430. And am did swap them into my s500. But bow engine shuts off right after starting. And after one or two more attempts to start it, it won’t do nothing. I’ve checked it with my icarsoft device. I did have a “esm drive authorization...” code. But then I reseted the code and it didn’t come again. But still does the same thing and no codes.
I’m seeing the “cut-off solenoid valve status” as “not start” As well. Which I believe is my issue. Does the shifter selector has issues?
another update is that I See my immobilizer is activated
any help?
the anti theft system Immobilizer is preventing it from running . Are you 100% positive the 4 parts you swapped were All taken from the same running donor car ?

It sounds like someone just pieced a 4 piece set together , from Pieces of different cars , and that’s why the anti theft system won’t allow it to run . Return the set and get another matched set from the same donor car
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 07:49 PM

s500
the anti theft system Immobilizer is preventing it from running . Are you 100% positive the 4 parts you swapped were All taken from the same running donor car ?

It sounds like someone just pieced a 4 piece set together , from Pieces of different cars , and that’s why the anti theft system won’t allow it to run . Return the set and get another matched set from the same donor car
so I actually have 2 cars. S430 and S500. My S500 had shifter selector issues, and I managed to fix it but then again faced another problem. The S430 was working fine when I bought it and it just had a battery drain issue ( though it looked like the EIS was fixed or something like that). However, the S430 faced some wiring problems now and I was trying to get one of the cars running until I have time for another.
My ecu serial ends with “18 32” which I couldn’t find anything online just yet.
edit: I might have mixed the ecu With the abs unit. I’m starting to think I took the wrong piece from my S430. I’ll check it and will update it here. (That’s gonna give a good laugh lol! )

Last edited by taregh se; 07-03-2020 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:16 AM

s500
so I actually have 2 cars. S430 and S500. My S500 had shifter selector issues, and I managed to fix it but then again faced another problem. The S430 was working fine when I bought it and it just had a battery drain issue ( though it looked like the EIS was fixed or something like that). However, the S430 faced some wiring problems now and I was trying to get one of the cars running until I have time for another.
My ecu serial ends with “18 32” which I couldn’t find anything online just yet.
edit: I might have mixed the ecu With the abs unit. I’m starting to think I took the wrong piece from my S430. I’ll check it and will update it here. (That’s gonna give a good laugh lol! )
so I have checked it and I was wrong about the ecu location. I swapped it and it’s working.
I have the accelerator sensor problem which I believe I have to ask it in another section
Old 07-05-2020, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
so I have checked it and I was wrong about the ecu location. I swapped it and it’s working.
I have the accelerator sensor problem which I believe I have to ask it in another section
if your car is not accelerating properly or extremely slowly when you floor the gas pedal you have a bad electronic pedal . Very common problem you must buy a new part from mercedes dealer Because most of all the used parts are bad

if you are referring to the acceleration sensor for the suspension that’s different , it’s on the strut tops
Old 07-05-2020, 05:40 PM

s500
if your car is not accelerating properly or extremely slowly when you floor the gas pedal you have a bad electronic pedal . Very common problem you must buy a new part from mercedes dealer Because most of all the used parts are bad

if you are referring to the acceleration sensor for the suspension that’s different , it’s on the strut tops
yes it is the gas pedal. Unfortunately, I’ve bought a used one. And it’s still the same, though a little better. But what got me thinking is that when I hit the brake, the accelerator doesn’t work at all. So I was thinking it’s a vacuum leak. Sprayed some starting fluid on different areas of the engine and nothing. I’m trying to see if I can only find the sensor or have to buy the whole assembly.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Like I said you need to buy a new pedal directly from Mercedes dealer . Online Mercedes dealers sell them for about $150 there is no substitute to getting one used for cheap , they are no good

buying from Mercedes dealer also gives two year parts and labor warranty if it fails again