2001 S430 does not stay running for long, strange electrical issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s430
2001 S430 does not stay running for long, strange electrical issues

Hello,

My imported S430 had been an enjoyable every day driver until recently. It made a cross country drive almost without issue, but when we were almost home strange electrical things began going awry. The power windows would not always be operable, sometimes you couldn't get them to open, sometimes they worked just fine. The instrument panel fades in and out. The sunroof will not open unless you repeatedly bump the open switch, and same for closing. Sometimes the car will die right out if the windshield wipers are in use. The alternator and battery have been replaced, and the alarm module has been removed as it had an internal short that would trigger the lock lights and tone intermittently, draining the battery. I would like to address these things soon so I can sell the car, if anyone has had experience with these issues please lend me your wisdom.
Old 07-25-2020, 02:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,045 Likes on 968 Posts
1999 E300TD
Donate the car to the Red Cresant
Old 07-25-2020, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 425 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by owned_mercedes
Hello,

My imported S430 had been an enjoyable every day driver until recently. It made a cross country drive almost without issue, but when we were almost home strange electrical things began going awry. The power windows would not always be operable, sometimes you couldn't get them to open, sometimes they worked just fine. The instrument panel fades in and out. The sunroof will not open unless you repeatedly bump the open switch, and same for closing. Sometimes the car will die right out if the windshield wipers are in use. The alternator and battery have been replaced, and the alarm module has been removed as it had an internal short that would trigger the lock lights and tone intermittently, draining the battery. I would like to address these things soon so I can sell the car, if anyone has had experience with these issues please lend me your wisdom.
electrical problems can be tricky

. Usually a problem affecting the windows and cluster is the door control module (the power seat switch panel In the door ) they are tied into everything and when they fail all kinds of weird electrical errors occur , and they fail often

other electrical issues can be with the SAM front or rear
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (07-26-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s430
Thanks, from what I have been seeing on this forum the best bet is to bite the bullet and take it to a MB mechanic or dealer.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 425 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by owned_mercedes
Thanks, from what I have been seeing on this forum the best bet is to bite the bullet and take it to a MB mechanic or dealer.
Good luck please update us as to what they find

for me the best bet is to get a door control module On eBay and swap it out and see if it fixes your problem . It takes 10 minutes to change