S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

COMAND fiber optic routing question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 S430
COMAND fiber optic routing question

I have a break in the D2B loop and no sound and no CD Changer I've read what I could find on the LOOP for the COMAND system but I can't figure out the issue I'm having. S430 2001 I found a broken fiber optic cable going to the tele aid module under the back seat, I removed the passenger seat and found the fiber optic cable goes directly to the back of the head unit. I have no connection going OUT of the Tele Aid module, so it appears to be a loop in itself back to the head unit. HERE IS WHERE I AM CONFUSED!!!!!!! I have another set of fiber optic cables that go from the CD Changer and the amplifier BACK to the font of the car, BUT ON THE PASSENGER SIDE/??? I can't get the two seat bolts on the console side out so I cannot figure out where THIS SET of fiber optic cables terminates. I have the head unit out (obviously) and they are not going to it, I am perplexed. I know it's old, outdated and troublesome but I am not looking to replace it just yet.......
Old 09-09-2020, 11:49 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
'05 S430, '05 S600
You must re-connect the loop in order to get your CD Changer and amp back. You will need to get the fiber that stops at the teleaid to become the input to the CDC and amp fiber and the return from the teleaid to become the return from the CDC and amp. Basically, you want to bypass the teleaid and also unplug it from regular power. Without a closed loop, the system won't work.
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 S430
Thanks for the reply!!!

I understand the THEORY that it has got to be a closed loop, the issue I have at this point is I don’t understand WHERE the loop that goes TO the CD changer and amplifier terminates. I traced the Tele Aid back to the head unit, but I do not know where the fiber optic cables that go to the CD changed and go come from. (Or go to). I think at this point I will loop the end that comes out of the head unit and see if that helps. I planned on eliminating the Tele Aid anyhow, but I worried that I don’t software to eliminate in the system, I don’t want to trigger a dash light.

QUOTE=turbonos7;8153670]You must re-connect the loop in order to get your CD Changer and amp back. You will need to get the fiber that stops at the teleaid to become the input to the CDC and amp fiber and the return from the teleaid to become the return from the CDC and amp. Basically, you want to bypass the teleaid and also unplug it from regular power. Without a closed loop, the system won't work.[/QUOTE]
biker349 (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 09:11 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
'05 S430, '05 S600
You won't trigger a dash light. If anything, comand will say "system unavailable" or something laong those lines. I'm sorry, my car has the later MOST system and I have done a lot of work with that but I'm not as familiar with D2B. I'm sure someone else on here is that good. I tried to do a search to see if I could find the drawing for the D2B ring but I could not. Either way... don't give up! There are TERABYTES of info on these forums so the info you need is here....somewhere... it just has to be found.
mugfors (09-10-2020)