S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

AMG S55 Exhaust??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S-Class
AMG S55 Exhaust??

Is this what the actual AMG S55 Quad exhaust looks? It sort of looks like tip add ons because the tips aren't flushed with the pipes. Can anyone confirm this for me because I've seen the actual 2004 S55 with the quad exhaust, but I didn't notice anything fake about the exhaust from the side angle. Maybe it's just me but you probably see it flushed once it is installed on the car?? Any insight would be great hopefully I can get the picture to work!?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
amg s55 quad.bmp (1.12 MB, 918 views)
Old 08-27-2004, 11:05 AM

2000 S-Class
A little more close-up??
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
amg quad.bmp (1.09 MB, 714 views)
Old 08-27-2004, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
That's definitely the real deal....

Originally Posted by dtxmob
A little more close-up??
Yes they are crinkle cut like that, I bought mine from the dealership looked exactly the same but included the resonators.
Is that a kit you bought? if so it's not going to sound as good w/out the S55 resonators.
It should have the"AMG" logo on top of each tip, and I just went outside to look at mine for other differences, my mufflers are painted "Flat Black" not shiny polished like your pic's.
Hope this helps.....Sean...
Old 08-27-2004, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Do you have another pic' showing the tips from eye level

You know, to see how they would look if installed on the car, they should have that very distinctive stagger to them.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:48 PM

2000 S-Class
Sean,
Thanks for the replies is there anway you could send me some pics of the muffler installed on your car?! I'm getting it for way lower price than stealership, but how huge of a difference in performance and sound does it effect without the resonators. Can my stock resonators make up for that I'm planning on welding it to the existing pipes?!! Thanks again Sean!
Old 08-27-2004, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Yes I will take some close-ups of mine....

Originally Posted by dtxmob
Sean,
Thanks for the replies is there anway you could send me some pics of the muffler installed on your car?! I'm getting it for way lower price than stealership, but how huge of a difference in performance and sound does it effect without the resonators. Can my stock resonators make up for that I'm planning on welding it to the existing pipes?!! Thanks again Sean!
The only difference in yours will most likely be exhaust note. When they cut off my original reso's they were a little bigger, and the guy at the muffler shop said "The S55 resonators were much more free flowing." My advice to you would be to tell the muffler shop to replace your pipes from the 2nd set of catalytic (2nd meaning the cat's closest to the mufflers, we have 2 sets on the Sclass)converters back with 3" pipes, I think the oem (S430-S500)is 2"-2 1/2" pipes, the S55 is 3" you'll get more ponies by freeing up back presure with the bigger pipes.
You'll probably squeeze an extra 5-10 hp if you run no resonators at all, but the sound will have a little "Ricer" note to it, and it might get irratating on long trips(the exhaust noise inside the cabin) I left mine on because the muffler shop told me it would change the S55 rumble to much.
I was at the dealership, and low and behold a 03'-04' S55 was pulling in (being test driven by 1 of their mechanics) I pulled along side it sounded just like mine at idle. I think you'd be fine if you kept your old reso's and ran new pipes....
Old 08-30-2004, 01:47 PM

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
'03 S55 (79K miles)
Those are them

The pipes flare out as they enter the tips. The tips are so large that, when viewed from behind or beside the car, you can't see that there's a diameter difference

My OE mufflers/tips look exactly like the ones in your pics.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:10 PM

DTX...Word Of Advice

DTX
I have the same car as you do...and honestly not trying to bite your style but can you let me in on where you bought the AMG style mufflers/tips. I'm not really with the aftermarket tips and the dealer wants an arm and my first born. Any help would be fine...thanks