S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Opening power trunk w/ dead battery?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 06:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Opening power trunk w/ dead battery?

So I let the damned car sit too long and the battery died. It was old so I bought a new battery. 2001 S500 sedan, fully loaded incl. power trunk.

Using the metal key, I can push the trunk opening button on the lid and one thing clicks/unlatches, but there's a second stop or something that prevents me from being able to lift the trunk at all - like it's still latched.

I'm assuming there's an issue with the power trunk motor being geared on, so I'd have to pull really hard to brute force it open - or am I doing this wrong?
If I brute force it, will I break the motor?
Is there another way to get jumpers attached that would allow me to get enough power to open the trunk - or would a drip charger work at this point or is it too far gone (battery's totally dead)?

Thanks for your advice; this is insanely frustrating!
Old 04-11-2021, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 425 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by vixapphire
So I let the damned car sit too long and the battery died. It was old so I bought a new battery. 2001 S500 sedan, fully loaded incl. power trunk.

Using the metal key, I can push the trunk opening button on the lid and one thing clicks/unlatches, but there's a second stop or something that prevents me from being able to lift the trunk at all - like it's still latched.

I'm assuming there's an issue with the power trunk motor being geared on, so I'd have to pull really hard to brute force it open - or am I doing this wrong?
If I brute force it, will I break the motor?
Is there another way to get jumpers attached that would allow me to get enough power to open the trunk - or would a drip charger work at this point or is it too far gone (battery's totally dead)?

Thanks for your advice; this is insanely frustrating!
watch this to see how to apply power under passenger floor

once you apply power use the electric trunk button to open trunk , and charge the battery directly connected in the trunk to charger
The following users liked this post:
sprink49 (04-30-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 10:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
S55, SL500, 500SL
Originally Posted by vixapphire
Using the metal key...
It's been my experience that turning the metal key 90 degrees counter-clockwise (viewed from below) releases the trunk lid latch in the case of a dead battery.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 425 Posts
Mercedes
Yes but not always