S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Kick down switch wire harness location and other mysteries.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S430
Kick down switch wire harness location and other mysteries, shock and rants.

Hey guys, I'm new to the site and to the world of Mercedes Benz in general but I just picked up a 2003 S430 at an auction with a myriad of minor issues and I've solved a few problems with the help of this forum so thank you guys for the help.

I went to replace the pedal assembly because I got a code that that throttle sensor was acting up. So the pedal I replaced didn't have a connector in the kick down switch.. the switch doesn't even have a place to connect it, almost like it's a dummy switch.

The wires harness for the switch is nowhere to be found so my questions are...

- Where does the opposite end of the of the kick down switch harness connect to?

-Are the tubes rest on top the strut mounts under the hood supposed to be connected to something? because they look like there's was another section that should screw into them but aren't there as well. The opening of the tubes are exposed.

-Are the air intakes for this car are just opening that suck air from the front of the car or is there an air box of some sort? The factory setup was replaced with some Cheap K&N style cone filter, which is a pretty stupid move if the original intake was just a free air opening. You'd think the cones would just be limiting the amount of air intake and the location of the cones would only be sucking up hot air if I'm not mistaken.

The more and more time I spend with this car, the more and more I shake my head at the previous owners and their "workmanship". While cleaning it out there's pretty strong evidence that the previous owners smoked heroin it. Which kinda but not, makes sense as to why someone would think these repairs or "mods" were acceptable.
​​​​​ Thanks bros!

Pedal assembly I removed

Where kick down switch harness should connect

Side 1 of kick down switch

Side 2 of kick down switch

Side 3 of kick down switch

Side 4 of kick down switch

Headlight covers

Engine. Notice the intakes are secured with electrical tape.

Air intake 1

Air intake 2

Trunk hole with string

Last edited by B-Stylez; 02-06-2022 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Info and photos added
Old 02-06-2022, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 351 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Are you saying that the pedal that you installed differs from the pedal that you removed?

Are you saying that the small plastic air lines are not hooked to the fittings on top of the strut? If the strut air lines are not connected, the car should be on the ground - unless the Airmatic struts have been replaced by coil-overs. Photos would be nice.
Old 02-06-2022, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S430
Originally Posted by wallyp
Are you saying that the pedal that you installed differs from the pedal that you removed?

Are you saying that the small plastic air lines are not hooked to the fittings on top of the strut? If the strut air lines are not connected, the car should be on the ground - unless the Airmatic struts have been replaced by coil-overs. Photos would be nice.
here's the pedal I removed and all 4 sides of the KD switch, with no connection port.

Ok so those tubes are for the airmatic suspension, which I noticed the first day I got the car, have been swapped with some garbage looking suspension. I'll try and take some photos later but man the suspension on this thing is so noisy.

I have replacement ball joints that I'm going to swap tomorrow but I have a feeling it might be more than that because the same noises are coming from the rear as well, unless this car has ball joints in the rear for some reason?

Last edited by B-Stylez; 02-06-2022 at 08:14 PM.