S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2003 Mercedes S500 PSE pump stopped working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2024, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes S500 W220
2003 Mercedes S500 PSE pump stopped working

About a year ago my old PSE (OEM) stopped working abruptly and I took it to a few mechanics. I later managed to buy a used PSE for $200 and it worked until a few days ago. The symptoms of the failure went something like this. Out of the blue, I could not open the trunk and tried everything with the FOB. It didn't work. I figured it may have been the battery on the fob but a short while later I started smelling something yucky from inside the car. I first blamed my pet pug for farting but it wasn't him. I stepped out of the car hoping to look into it later but I could not lock the car anymore. The Alarm was being activated which meant the FOB was fine. I read up on what to do and checked the under-the-seat fuse and it was burnt. Replaced it and then disconnected the battery to reset the PSE but it did not help. Now I am looking at yet another PSE and I don't want to spend another $200. The car has 105K miles and drives a charm. I can only work with the blade key which is extremely cumbersome..

I would be glad to try anything to make this work. The smell sorta gave it way I think. Your thoughts are welcome.

Thanks
Old 06-10-2024, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 423 Posts
Mercedes
The fishy smell was your pse pump burning up likely from a leaky air actuator

until you fix the reason your pump is burning up it will keep burning up new ones
Old 06-10-2024, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes S500 W220
But it never gave out that smell before if there was ever a leak. It has only been once and now even after resetting the battery it completely stopped working.
When I replaced the blown fuse the pump did the clicking a few times and stopped which probably meant the battery had to be reset. Unfortunately it looks like only a replacement with fix it. Wish there were key holes on all the doors and now the only way in is the blade key.
Old 06-11-2024, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 423 Posts
Mercedes
Yes it completely stopped working because your pse pump is dead again. Once you smell the fish there is no reset that will fix it

, you can get a used one on eBay or junkyard but when you reinstall you’ll need to quickly figure out why it’s burning go up

usuall a faulty trunk latch or door latch actuator