Really bad miss on S600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 06:22 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a few Germans, a few Americans
Really bad miss on S600

Whats up everyone. I have an 01 S600 thats been really irritating me lately. My wife usually drives it and she came home telling me the check engine light came on and the car didnt sound right. Given her vast knowledge of cars I decided to drive it myself. Under very light acceleration the car was fine, although the light was on. As soon as I gave it much more than that, it did start missing. I figured it could wait until I was able to schedule an appt. with my tech. Today it did the same thing except about 10 times worse. I left a stop light and it started hesitating then refused to go over 40mph with the check engine light flashing until I could pull over to restart it. When I did stop it sounded like it was missing on at least 2 or 3 cylinders. It does go away when you restart the car but its nearly undriveable like this. Is this common to have this type of crap happen. I have 2 other Mercedes and Im not very happy that I bought a top model so far. By the way, Im new hi.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:06 AM

Take it to Mercedes, they will have to hook it up to the computer and see what is up. It is going to cost you at least $1000...I bet.

sad to say, but because of stupidity like this, is why people buy Lexus and not Benzitos.

Ftrom the information you have given us here, looks like its a dealer only problem
Old 12-24-2004, 07:36 AM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
It will likely need a coil pack or two. Better hope its under warranty! A V-12 mercedes will break you. I have seen it too many times. Anything you need will be model specific, rare, and incredibly expensive. Don't forget about labor, which will be substantially higher because its difficult to work on an engine that is shoe horned and wedged in to place.
It doesn't matter if you have an old 120 V-12, a 137 V-12, or a 275 V-12. They are all a PITA, and big money to maintain.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:51 PM
Almost a Member!

Its under warranty. I remember it having a slight problem after I bought it then it sat at the dealership for 2 months because of it until I started pressing the issue that I needed my car back. One would think in 2 months time they could figure out a problem that acts up this easily. Trust me, I will be selling before the warranty is up. The cost of parts can easily overwhelm the value of the car. It was my first instinct to go with an E500 or E55. But the S was very appealing. Hopefully this car starts being a little more fun to drive.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:58 PM

Even though this is a Mercedes website, get yourself a Lexus LS430 (or LX470 id your an SUV guy), you will not have any problems.

best place to get parts is from a junkyard if you can find one with a smashed up S600. Thats how I got parts for my old E320 and my dads 190E.

that is why S-classes Drop in value like a ton of bricks, so much to go wrong with them.

Last edited by Messerchmidt; 12-24-2004 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:18 PM
Almost a Member!

Im cool on Lexus. We had one for awhile and I prefer the Mercedes cars. The S is the only one Ive had issues with so far. I'll just see how the new E55's go. If they dont have too many problems I may go with one of those instead. Kind of a drop from the S class but I dont care. They have enough luxury for me. Although I do think the Lexus SUV is pretty nice. And it doesnt have the breadbox look of an ML.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Could also be a MAF sensor problem. When the tech pulls the stored DTC codes they will pinpoint the problem.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2024 S580 | 2024 Escalade ESV Sport Plat | 2022 X5M Competition
Yeah, I think the most common engine problem on the 01 600 is the ignition coils. We've had ours replaced 2 or 3 times. And when ours was getting serviced, there was at least 1 other 600 in the shop for the same problem.

Our warranty will be up in a few months. We are still deciding what to do. If we keep the car, i'll definately look into an extended warranty. I'd like to get a new S600, but the residuals are just TOO low. Something like 40% in 3 years.

Good luck!
Old 12-25-2004, 05:04 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by ///MB
Yeah, I think the most common engine problem on the 01 600 is the ignition coils. We've had ours replaced 2 or 3 times. And when ours was getting serviced, there was at least 1 other 600 in the shop for the same problem.

Our warranty will be up in a few months. We are still deciding what to do. If we keep the car, i'll definately look into an extended warranty. I'd like to get a new S600, but the residuals are just TOO low. Something like 40% in 3 years.

Good luck!
GREAT!

Anyone in the market for a very nice looking low mile 2001 S600? It has parktronic

Oh one other complaint. The factory navigation systems in these things sucks. I still havent figured out how to use it with a dial yet.
Old 12-25-2004, 05:44 PM

too many to list
hey moneypit i beleive your s600 has all the options not just parktronic its sad to hear someone having troubles with the MB flagship. if it is a major component as the problem you mentioned sounds like, then you have nohting to worry about as its covered in the warranty i also agree with Messerchmidt about the lexus i have one and nothing can beat toyota in relybility but then again a Lexus even though i have one is a Toyota imitating a Mercedes and the problem moneypit mentioned are very rare because MB is also exceptional in relyablity i guess the most problems they have is with their ML models. and yea ///MB if you try going for a 4 year lease the residual is a lot better i know it makes a lot of difference between the 3 to 4 year. once again sorry to hear about your problem but MB will take care of it. ( dont let your wife drive) :-)

P.S no matter what car you have as long as its not the S class in your mind you always think next time its going to be the S class

Last edited by Lexino; 12-25-2004 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:04 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Lexino
( dont let your wife drive) :-)

[/B]
You think I actually drive it? I just make the payments. Im sure MB can figure out the problem. I think my biggest problem was that we already have a CLK and C240. After getting the S, I dont see how I could get any other luxury car. It makes my other ones feel a little crappy. But thats just me. So I really hope I dont have anymore issues with it. I searched everywhere for a black on black one with the chrome rims and I dont care to get rid of it.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:55 PM

The latest coil packs start with a 275 part number. Take a look at yours and see what part number they have on them. I have not seen any 275 coil packs scorch the insulators yet.
On Dec 9th, MB issued a DTB to fix the misfire codes. It involves a software update of the ME control unit. So far, it has fixed all the S600 problem childs we have at our dealership.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2024 S580 | 2024 Escalade ESV Sport Plat | 2022 X5M Competition
Since our warranty is up in April and we'll probably be keeping the car, does anyone know of any good extended warranty companies that are decently priced?

I'm gonna start calling some dealers this week, but if anyone here has any references, please let me know.

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:24 AM

The coil packs are covered by the Calif 7/70 emission warranty. Not sure about the 49 state 8/80 emission coverage, since I live in Calif.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:24 PM

too many to list
Originally Posted by Moneypit
You think I actually drive it? I just make the payments. Im sure MB can figure out the problem. I think my biggest problem was that we already have a CLK and C240. After getting the S, I dont see how I could get any other luxury car. It makes my other ones feel a little crappy. But thats just me. So I really hope I dont have anymore issues with it. I searched everywhere for a black on black one with the chrome rims and I dont care to get rid of it.
Nope it's not just you; I recently sat in my friends CLK and didn’t really like it maybe because the S class just spoils you. All my other cars the interior cannot compare to the S class they are not even close the S has a very amazing interior for sure. Yea MB I know it might be a bit more expensive to get extended warranty from MB but I personally think it’s worth it because other company’s dont really offer service that you could compare with MB.

P.S My wife drives the Jag S Type, you guys should see the scratches she has put on it the rims, body everywhere.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:44 PM
Almost a Member!

Wanna talk about scratches? My wife backed into and knocked over a brick support for one of our outdoor lights with the C class. That didnt bother me as much as her managing to break the front license plate frame on the S class. How do you hit something with those red lights on the dashboard or the obnoxious beep that it makes when your too close to something.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:32 AM

too many to list
hahaha that is bad man, sorry to hear that I feel your pain!!
Old 01-03-2005, 10:59 AM

get a Lexus GX470, its BETTER then an S-Class and it runs properly too
Old 01-04-2005, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
745 looks like better than GX
Old 01-04-2005, 04:36 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Messerchmidt
Ive already had an overpriced Toyota and I dont think they hold a candle to Mercedes, especially the top model S. Just a preference but I like these the most so far. Besides, it helps business.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:01 AM

W220
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Messerchmidt
Another Toyota fan?
Am I missing something here?
Toyota GX470... - "Better"?
Oh boy, I have no comments...

Personally I never liked Lexus/Totyota styling... too cheap, tasteless and desire to look like Europeans is destroying them...
IMHO Nissan & Honda do much better job in design and innovation (not in sales though)...

BTW, Lexus service departments are packed as well...
My sister's two year old LS went to shop last August for... (take a guess!) engine replacement...
But thanks for nice ads and biased reviewers about Toyota/Lexus "reliability" ...
people buy it

Last edited by DMI+RY; 01-04-2005 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:53 PM

too many to list
[QUOTE=DMI+RY]

Lexus/Totyota styling... too cheap, tasteless and desire to look like Europeans is destroying them

IMHO Nissan & Honda do much better job in design and innovation (not in sales though)...
QUOTE]

DMI now I got no comments for you. Nissan/Honda is overly mass produced crap, and there is no way a Nissan or Honda could remotely compare to Lexus in exterior styling or in any other way. Their designs are CHEAP??? I just think its funny you bad mouth Lexus and stand up for cars like Nissan & Honda. I don't even agree with you where you say that Lexus is trying to be European and its destroying them they are selling more cars than ever. It's a pure Japanese Luxurious vehicle that has maintained the big body style that originated from Japan and because it is remarkable in luxury, durability, status, & price ( only to MB & BMW) over its 2 decades in service that it ranks with the best like MB and BMW. But on the other hand Infinity and Acura are jumping the band wagon thinking they could cash in on Lexus's magic formula, but they will not achieve that because they produce crappy cars. For example the 2003 M40 Infinity which was a new car for that year will not be produced anymore because it’s a piece of ****, the FX will not be produced anymore, the only Infinities I see on the streets are the G series.Talking about Price Lexus is not a cheaper alternative to Mercedes / BMW, its just taste. Lexus buyers can easily spend another 10 G extra to get the S or 5G extra to get a 745 but like I mentioned it's taste. However Infinity and Acura are totally for people that can't even get a Lexus yet want to drive something they would like to think is luxurious & stylish. This isn’t a matter about opinion it’s totally facts. Lexus rank with Mercedes Benz and BMW and it is something that Nissan and Honda will never be able to achieve because they produce cars for lower income demographics where as Lexus is for upper class people. The good thing about Lexus which is better than MB and BMW is that they don’t have any “entry class” for people that want to buy the name such as the C (looks like a mini S) class or the 3 (looks like mini 5 & 7) series BMW. Lexus has had the LX, LS, GS, ES, SC models in service now for over 15 years and they have been major successes. It recently introduced the IS series which has set trends for sports compacts all over the world. The Altezza is the grandfather of sports compacts recently introduced to N. America as the IS300, I have one of these vehicles and they are a pleasure to drive, never had any problems besides one time I had to take it to re-adjust my e brake. And once again you see after market Honda’s & Nissan's with Altezza style lights on the streets everywhere. Lexus is a trend setter, a highly successful manufacturer that has done in the last 20 years what MB and BMW achieved in 60. Don’t bad mouth Lexus again, EVER specially over Nissan/Honda, are you a rice?. Yea, finally give me one car that you prefer from Nissan(Infinity) / Honda (Acura) over a Toyota (Lexus). I bet you won't be able to EVER.

P.S I am definately not saying that Messerchmidt is right when he says that the GX is better than the S. I have an S class and nothing compares. Besides he's dumb enough to compare an SUV with a Luxury Sedan so he just needs help .

Ask anyone to tell you about the 3 best car makers in the world & they would tell you MB, BMW, & LEXUS, thats a challenge!!! I even have a S type Jag if would have called that a peice of **** I would have agreed because even though it cost more than my Lexus when I was buying it I had no idea that Ford has bought Jag and now I know, the hard way .

Last edited by Lexino; 01-04-2005 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:24 AM

W220
Cool

This isn’t a matter about opinion it’s totally facts...
Lexino, IT IS a matter of taste and opinion. Regardless of the mass advertisement, "best seller" ratings and "common" opinion, I never liked most of their bizarre styling and (regarding Lexus, especially LS and GS series) unlucky attempts to copy MB & BMW components (mostly MB though).

...(Toyota…) - they are a pleasure to drive
Again, it is a matter of taste and opinion. For example Maxima was always miles ahead of Camry and Civic is always a preferred choice over Corolla, considering pleasure of driving...

Don’t bad mouth Lexus again, EVER specially over Nissan/Honda, are you a rice?. Yea, finally give me one car that you prefer from Nissan(Infinity) / Honda (Acura) over a Toyota (Lexus).
Lexino, in the Toyota/Nissan/Honda group IMHO Toyota is the last one on the list. In Infiniti/Acura/Lexus - I agree, Lexus is a winner (and if not they ugly styling, I would probably prefer Lexus over others.

(Toyota/Lexus) a highly successful manufacturer ...
No doubt, Toyota/Lexus is one of the most successful businesses in automobile market. They are making good quality cars that last and they do have quick innovation implementation (especially high tech) and I think that MB and BMW should learn from Lexus in that matter. The last thing that Germans start missing during the last decade (and why Lexus got so much buzz about) is the quality of components. Regarding style - most of the European car makers (including even troubled ones) have a way better style and design (which not always comes with quality though...)

Old 01-05-2005, 05:19 PM

too many to list
well I guess everyone has their opinions no point arguing back and forth. I do prefer the new maxima over camry and civic over corrola & it seems like you agree with me that Lexus is better than Infinity & Acura, but you have to keep in mind that both maxima and civic are more expensive than their respective competitions, just like Lexus is over Inifinity and Acura. How ever again in the Toyota/Nissan/Honda group I don't agree with you that Toyota is the last one on the list. You compared the Maxima with the Camry as Maxima is Nissans flagship however Toyota's flagship the Avalon is a much better car, Toyota offers a huge variety of vehicles more than 20(in U.S) to be precise so I am telling you cannot compare even Toyota with Nissan and Honda as Toyota is in a different league. How can you tell me that its at the bottom of the list with legendary cars like the Land Cruiser, Supra, Celica, Camry Solara, Matrix. Toyota is much much better than Nissan/Honda & comparitively much more expensive next is Nissan and finally Honda is the cheapest vechile on earth. Check out this list and how they rank the vehicles in order of the better one first. Toyota-Honda-Nissian

http://waw.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_sma...yers_threaten/

these people are experts. Again I only wanna talk on facts not personal opinions.Read the article carefully, according to studies people prefer Lexus more over the BMW. Lexus has dominated sales in the Luxury car market after MB and third being BMW.

Last edited by Lexino; 01-05-2005 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:29 PM

W220
Talking

Ok, Lexino, lez stop this discussion (at least here...)
We're way off topic!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Really bad miss on S600