S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Butt ugly...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 10:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few toys
Butt ugly...

I'll stick with what I got. That is all!
Old 06-20-2005, 11:20 PM
Almost a Member!

I thought so too but I'm liking it more and more. I checked out the specs on it and it's going to be huge.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:05 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320
I'd have to disagree with your view. I think it looks very nice. The more I look at it, the better it becomes. Then again, I never thought the 7 series was all that radical. I think the W221 will definately grow on all of us. One thing I really don't understand is how they managed to make all the center consoles and center dash designs look so similar to the current Bimmer 7. Personally, I think the minimilistic dash looks nice, but I don't think I'll be used to tuning the radio using the "iDrive"-look-alike. I think I'm still the old-fashioned type who prefers knobs and buttons to something more superficial like a joystick. However, as long as MB does a good job with the interface (like Audi did with the MMI), I'm sure we'll get used to it.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:35 AM
Banned

A few toys
In the looks department you can buy a Toyota Avalon and save 65K.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
I vote no too. I would sooner get a 745iL
Old 06-21-2005, 11:54 AM

I was planning on replacing my C32 when the lease is up with a new CL, but now I'm assuming it'll also come with the i-COMAND system, column shift, and the fugly magic keypad armrest thingy. Looking at this thing, I might as well buy an Acura CL and save myself 70k.

The A8L W12 is looking mighty fine...
Old 06-24-2005, 10:44 AM

W211 & Q7
It is the trend so live with it.

Maybach, BMW 7er (E60), Toyota Crown Majesta (possible Lexus LS), the coming 2007 Toyota Carmy (interesting ..., We will see ton of raised butts everyday), and Acura RL.

Of course, MB W221 is one of them.
Attached Thumbnails Butt ugly...-bmw7.jpg   Butt ugly...-maybach.jpg   Butt ugly...-rl.jpg   Butt ugly...-crown_majesta.jpg  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
carmy.bmp (461.5 KB, 937 views)

Last edited by Otto; 06-24-2005 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:42 PM

You forgot the car that MB stole all of their styling cues from for the Maybach 57...

Old 06-24-2005, 06:13 PM

I am SOOOOO happy I bought my CLS - this thing is hideous!

If they F**k up the next CL like they did with this S I will cry.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:20 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
No Way!!!

The new S looks sweet!! I will admit when I first saw the pics I was like "this looks weird, oh no...." However, everytime I look at them again and see more pics of it I am liking the car more and more. Now it looks stunning to me! Plus I like the move to a Mercedes type of I-drive. I was in a 645i a month ago and liked playing with the i-drive but then again I am a lover of all things electronic. The more toys to play with the better! Funnily this all reminds me of the first time I say the CLS, I just didn't like it, however now I LOVE it. Drives very well, looks the bomb, and goes like stink regardless of what engine is in it, though a 55 would be ideal. It's also the first time on a Mercedes that I have continuosly used the Sport/Comfort button on the airmatic. On other models I usually just leave it in comfort but on the CLS I normally have it on the stiffest setting for maximum firmness but should the road turn uneven I move to the floaty position 'comfort'. I can't say enough good things about that car. It is so well put together, real Mercedes Quality! So new S-class can only be better! I like those rear screens as well, finally we can select them from the factory rather than giong after market. Plus I have heard they come with wireless headsets and a seperate controller on the rear armrest. The CD changer is also now a DVD/CD changer and if you have the new 600watt Harmon Kardon installed you can listen to DVD audio! Though you get a seperate DVD player in the back armrest for the 2 rear screens which are 8inch I believe.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
I think german cars are entering a dark era similar to that of american cars in the 1980s, except we have no gas shortage, just a good stylist shortage. You'd think that MB would see its huge chance here to pick up BMW customers, i guess that if you get too into tit for tat competition you can loose sight of the bigger picture. I went for a drive late tonight and ended up at a BMW dealership, it was awful! the new 3 was there, the 5, the 6, the seven, even the 5 series wagon is ugly! and it doesnt have that trunk! It seems like these cars just keep getting bigger and more clumsey looking. Heck, i thought my CLK was small and fairly low, until i lined up beside a dropped honda. It looked like i could run him over like a bug! (im not saying a dropped honda is a desirable size, i just dont like the bloated look BMWs have gotten and that MBs send to be trending towards). One thing's for sure, Audi has NO excuse for not gaining marketshare here. The new A4 and A6 are beautiful.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:46 AM

1998 honda civic lx
Originally Posted by King320
Heck, i thought my CLK was small and fairly low, until i lined up beside a dropped honda. It looked like i could run him over like a bug! (im not saying a dropped honda is a desirable size, i just dont like the bloated look BMWs have gotten and that MBs send to be trending towards). One thing's for sure, Audi has NO excuse for not gaining marketshare here. The new A4 and A6 are beautiful.
run over a honda like a bug? well, probably, ok - definitely. but they're good (although i'm a little biased).

i agree that audi should run the show though.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:06 AM

06 320E CDI, Porsche 911 C2, Pontiac Montana
As an E-class owner, I would NOT trade it for the new S-class even up. Those wheel arches are hideous.

I just don't understand where Mercedes heads are these days. They are getting so desperate to increase sales that they are willing to take enormous and potentially destructive chances with their products.

They have 1.3 MILLION car recall to fix their brake-by-wire failure that will cost them half a billion dollars and now they are putting out a silly design and copying the competition.

Sadly, I am having a tough time justifying the purchase of my next Benz.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
if Bentley came out with a "baby" Silver Spur with a V8 and some other decontenting at the $90K price point - they could knock MB off the throne in this segment. That Silver Spur is gorgeous.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:37 PM

The S looks nothing like the Maybach or 7 series, inside or out!
Firstly, yes the back has a slightly passing resemblance to the Maybach, but it does NOT look like a 7. Only the taillight shape resembles the Maybach, the actual shape of the back end is just a continuation of themes from the CLS, E, CLK, and W220 S. If you took an E-class, like this:

and extended the trunkline down to the crease coming off the windows, you would get:

which looks like:

Note how the trunk blends with the bumper at the bottom like the E-class and previous S-class, NOT like the Maybach, whose trunk is raised off the bumper.

The interior is, at least to me, merely a continuation of W220 themes.
Here we have a picture of the W220 interior we all know and love:

By moving up the screen and making the necessary changes pursuant to integrating the COMAND controller into the interior (obviously they are not going to leave a big chunk of wood where the COMAND control panel used to be), we get:

which looks like the new S interior.

Hopefully I have shown where the inspiration for the S-class' styling comes from: not from the Maybach, nor from the 7-series. It comes from current Mercedes styling themes.

Nick
Old 06-26-2005, 11:09 PM

Mercedes all the way!
thanks for those very nice photoshops, nick. i've also been saying that the s clearly continues current practices in mercedes styling.

those so worked up about the boot: look at the current S-class. look closely and you'll realise the butt is RAISED TOO! it's lower than this S, but it's very clearly there. especially when you see it from the rear 3/4.

sure, i'd have preferred it if Merc had a pop-up screen rather than the big chunk there, but i'll bet it's much more reliable. no finicky mechanisms to spoil or jam. audi's solution might look nice but we all know reliability isn't their strong suit at all

also, it's clear that the controls ARE STILL THERE on the dashboard just like it used to be. it's not as if everything's gonna be controlled via the screen, although i admit we don't know exactly what's gonna be physically controllable at this time.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:35 AM

W211 & Q7
2006 Hyundai Azera

Wow, we can see a lot of cars with raised trunks on the streets next year.
Attached Thumbnails Butt ugly...-005.jpg   Butt ugly...-epitherm-nnews1109720343.jpg  
Old 07-05-2005, 12:09 PM

Cool! Hyundai will have a Maybach and a 7-series now!
Old 06-28-2017, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
I've already saved the community. I got you banned.