S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

W221 vs. MASERATI QUATTROPORTE vs. MBZ CLS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
New S is the king of luxury in its class, noone can touch it. even now people will get over the uglines and BMW IDRIVE in it, and it will sell like a hot cacke.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:06 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by cantdrive55
i had a continental gt and have driven the new flying spur... although i agree that the gt has the nicest interior i have ever seen, there was just something about the car (maybe too many vw parts...) that didn't spin my wheels the way others have... as far as the flying spur - same thing... nice car but not for that amount of money...

back to the maserati vs. w221 - i would say wait for the amg version of the w221 and go for that... i think it will be unbelievable - you won't be able to hang with vince and the boys on "entourage" but...
Jeremy Clarkson on last weeks "Top Gear" TV show had the identical reaction to the Continental GT, as you. He thought it was "missing something" to be a "great car".
Old 10-01-2005, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
At a lot of restaurant around here, Mercedes rarely make it to front row of valet anymore, unless it's an SLR or nicely mod CL/SL.

Maserati, Benley, Rolls, Ferrari, or Lambo will always take valet front row. Unfortunately, lot of people who pay $$$$$$ for car care about being exclusive, and it hurt them to see their precious Benz/Bimmer get stuffed in the back of the valet lot

Style and exclusivity is subjective, and head-turning ability and valet space ususally is a good indicator. For the rest, there're car magazine

Originally Posted by CLFREAK
In terms of style, exclusivity, road presence, performance, fit/finish, overall value, which one wins???

[I hear they may be coming out with a CLS65 LWB - which would put it at similar length to S-class].
Old 10-01-2005, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Lorinser Edition CL600 (SOLD)
Yep, zam2000, O.C. is just like Vegas (after all, half our new residents are from O.C.)! Unless your Benz is $100K + AND tricked out to the max, you'll be standing in the back waiting a half hour in valet behind all the owners getting in their Bentleys, Ferraris, Astons, Maseratis, and Lambos first.

Question: Do you think these owners generously tip the valet upon arrival to make certain their cars are front row or do the valets automatically position them there and then get taken care of later - or do these cars command so much prestige that the valets just figure the owner is so VIP he is comped???

I've asked valets, and they're so squirrely about it because they consider the tip very confidential, so I never know. First off, none of my friends have as nice a car like myself, and secondly, I've never felt comfortable asking an owner of a high-end car when and how much he tips.

Now that really sucks when you pay for a top of the line S-class and get treated like a 2nd class citizen unless you tip the valet at least a $20!

My Benzes always got front row with the others because they were tricked out; sometimes I had to tip $20 when I arrive when it's a special night like when there's big fight in town. I always take care of valets on arrival depending on where or at pickup; these guys remember you and your car better than anyone and if you take care of them well, they will make sure your car avoids dings and dents (unless it's a low-end hotel).

Maybe in Iowa the S-class will get the top spot in valet without question - but then are there even valets in Iowa? ))

zam2000, I couldn't have said it better...

Last edited by CLFREAK; 10-01-2005 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
In my experience it takes about $40 for top spots in Chicago and $20 in LA,regardless of the brand of your car.