S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

221 Pics... Black/black S550.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I would agree Sam...I was ready to post a picture of my W220 and indicate it looked better than the W221, but also think the W126 is better looking. Black or charcoal is not the best color to display an interior in pictures so maybe it will be better in real life.

2006 W220
The one I saw had a carmel interior with the matte wood and it looked bland.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by Kar don
the S in the pictures do not have the premium leather option.
Okay on the pictures without the premium leather option but the reaction by first hand potential buyers appears to be less than encouraging with the real thing. Are you saying people who don't get the "premium leather option" should be satisfied with something less than "premium."

If the S550 V221 requires a "premium leather option" to have it look like a S Class should, then something is wrong. This is the top of the line MB Sedan...the standard leather should be "premium", period!

I still will wait until I sit in one to make a judgement.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by naadp
I'm reserving my final judgement for when I see this car in AMG form with nice wheels, a nice body kit, and some interior upgrades.
You can make a Honda Civic look good with modifications. This is supposed to be the "Flagship" and should hold its own without having to change it.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:31 PM
Almost a Member!

The W221 premium leather option I'm told will be a 1150-1500 surcharge and include a finer grain with Nappa option. This should change the whole interior look of the car...especially in a light color. I was also told there will be a DVD entertainment package for 2500 or so..in the past this has always been an aftermarket upgrade..
Old 12-26-2005, 12:10 PM
Almost a Member!

Top Pic

The top picture shows 160 on the dash, I have seen other pictures with 260 on the dash. Does anyone know why this is? Could it be that the one I saw is not the U.S. version?
Sorry I did'nt know how to insert the image.

Last edited by Royal; 12-26-2005 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:27 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Kar don
the S in the pictures do not have the premium leather option.
THEY SURE DON'T! The demo also dont have the "passion" and "exclusive passion" packages...has anyone seen what they look like?
Old 12-26-2005, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Royal
The top picture shows 160 on the dash, I have seen other pictures with 260 on the dash. Does anyone know why this is? Could it be that the one I saw is not the U.S. version?
Sorry I did'nt know how to insert the image.
insert [img] (with brackets) before the location of the image (it must be posted on a web site) and at the end of the URL (make sure it ends in .jpg) add [/img]

That should get your image posted.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:13 PM
ON PROBATION

...I still will wait until I sit in one to make a judgement.
Me, too.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Are they really serious....

I cannot believe they would have the satellite antenna stuck on the trunk. My 2006 has a nice little aero designed cover which is not too bad, but this was an add-on to the older design. In this new design are they telling us they could not integrate the antenna into the roof fin or hidden it in someway. here is my 2006 and you can see the antenna does not detract that much from the lines of the trunk lid.

That and the fender flares cause me great pain...
Hey I see you're here too! Love your W220 in White. There has always been something special about a Mercedes in White.

M
Old 12-30-2005, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
from what i'm seeing so far, it seems they've gotten some good quality back into the interior - anyone who's had a W140 before a W220 would have to agree that quality is down in the W220, even facelifted. but their design department apparently took too much from the Audi rulebook of "less is more" - the W220 interior is truly a beautiful place to be, whereas this apparently reverts to the more "formal" and functional W140 look.

i don't know, it just doesn't flow, it doesn't look beautiful the way the W220 is. but from seeing the car in person (from outside) i can say that in real life it is very impressive, even down to those wheelarches
Old 12-30-2005, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I like it!

Well I finally saw the 221 today. Silver with Black interior.

First of all the fender flares are not a problem! They did not over power the lines of the car like in the pictures. Perhaps it was the silver color but the car looks good! The rear trunk lid also does not bother me like in the pictures. The appearance is one of power and agressive style.

The interior being black turned me off...dust and other crud shows up on everything. But as far a the appearance it was fine. The leather had nice stitching accents. I did not really have time to check out all the knobs and such but they looked fine to me. The interior seemed smaller than my 2006 S430 for some reason...perhaps the black color and the seat positions.

All in all I came away with a positive feel for the car. I intend to call my sales rep and request a test drive. Purchase would be at least a year away and I would get the 450 instead of the 550. But no more reluctance on my part...I think the car is a winner.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:17 AM

2008 ML350 4matic
Well I finally saw the 221 today. Silver with Black interior.

First of all the fender flares are not a problem! They did not over power the lines of the car like in the pictures. Perhaps it was the silver color but the car looks good! The rear trunk lid also does not bother me like in the pictures. The appearance is one of power and agressive style.
Have to agree with you on the fender flares. When I first saw them in early pictures I was praying to god that they wouldn't be so bold in the final S. After seeing a black S550 at the dealer the other day, they really didn't bother me at all. My eyes were more drawn to the front and back of the car.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
i saw a black one parked curbside outside of the beverly hills location this morning on my way to the office. it was a small thrill to actually see one "in the flesh" for the first time, even though it was across the street. but overall, i was underwhelmed; the front is ok, the fender flares over the front wheels are way too much chrysler and not enough daimler for me. and as the eye travels rearward, the disappointment increases. the trunk is awful, and the whole thing looks jacked up in the *** - it's not just the taillights and odd trunklid, it's also the shape of the rear bumper and the height of the underside of the rear bumper off the ground (or at least the perception thereof).

i expect the amg version's modified rear end to do a lot for it, looks wise. i sure hope so! since everyone and their sister drives an S-class in around where i live and work, i'm no longer looking forward to the next several years of local motoring! the just-ended S class is such a handsome and distinguished looking car by comparison.

and by the way, nevada jack, your back seat photo is really nice. that car looks great in light grey interior (my father in law's just-ended leased s430 had a black interior which was also very nice). those door panels (and the cool ashtrays) are really tastefully designed and prove that it's possible to do modern and classy together in a single execution.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vixapphire
i saw a black one parked curbside outside of the beverly hills location this morning on my way to the office. it was a small thrill to actually see one "in the flesh" for the first time, even though it was across the street. but overall, i was underwhelmed; the front is ok, the fender flares over the front wheels are way too much chrysler and not enough daimler for me. and as the eye travels rearward, the disappointment increases. the trunk is awful, and the whole thing looks jacked up in the *** - it's not just the taillights and odd trunklid, it's also the shape of the rear bumper and the height of the underside of the rear bumper off the ground (or at least the perception thereof).

i expect the amg version's modified rear end to do a lot for it, looks wise. i sure hope so! since everyone and their sister drives an S-class in around where i live and work, i'm no longer looking forward to the next several years of local motoring! the just-ended S class is such a handsome and distinguished looking car by comparison.

and by the way, nevada jack, your back seat photo is really nice. that car looks great in light grey interior (my father in law's just-ended leased s430 had a black interior which was also very nice). those door panels (and the cool ashtrays) are really tastefully designed and prove that it's possible to do modern and classy together in a single execution.
Thanks on the interior image. It is really Stone interior which is a light beige, although the darker contrasting trim is more light gray. I liked the W221 I sat in but was not overwhelmed by it. Having only had the W220 3 months, I am still totally pleased with it and the ride is the best of any MB I have owned. I may get the urge in a year or two but right now "I Love My 220"
Old 01-10-2006, 12:39 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

VIPER
I think darker hues make the vehicle look alot cleaner. Its a bold design for MB, but I think it will be a success!
Old 01-10-2006, 05:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
I saw the S550 and the S600 at the LA Auto Show.

The rear of the car is UGLY in the photos, but looks decent in real life. I guess 2D images just don't do it justice.