S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Quality of Materials

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1963 220Sb
Originally Posted by Chi500
I sat in a w220 S-class, a 2000 model, and I remember feeling that the interior was of less quality. So now hearing that a W221 is of less quality than a w220 isn't hard to believe at all. Even with my ML's I've seen the degradation in interior quality. The interior of my w163 ML320 looked more expensive than the interior of my new w164 ML500.
The W221 is definetly not of lesser quality that the 221. Every magazine review has praised and said the best things about the 221's interior in terms of its quality and the materials used. One person's opinion vs. quite a few reviews from car magazines, I will take the magazine's opinion since they are all saying the same exact thing. I will wait of course until I get to sit in one,for my final opinion, but until then I can only go from what I have heard and that is high praise except for one person.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PHYBENZ
I have heard and that is high praise except for one person.
It's more than one person. It's pretty much everyone who has sat in these cars. I still feel that they're a step up, but I know that I'd never even consider spending 90k+ for this car without paying extra for the interior upgrades -- which is a shame.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:44 PM

2000 S500
I strongly encourage everyone to just go see for yourself. The magazines are always going to point out the positive and not the negative. What magazine in the world be dumb enough to say anything negative about MB's flagship vehicle? Say bye-bye to those advertising dollars.

And the whole idea of an S550 base model... that's like a mansion with linoleum floors. Furthermore, the Designo option is the worst investment ever. If you are planning to keep the car forever then go for it. But if you are planning to sell or trade in three years then you can kiss that 10k good bye.

Last edited by esntrk1; 12-26-2005 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by MBZFAN55
Speaking of materials, I noticed in the W221 brochure that in addition a to multiple Designo interior colors, there is a new interior option called "Exclusive Passion", as an upgrade. Does anyone have any info as to what kind of option this is as far as quality and cost ?
Where did you get a brochure?
Old 12-26-2005, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by PHYBENZ
The W221 is definetly not of lesser quality that the 221. Every magazine review has praised and said the best things about the 221's interior in terms of its quality and the materials used. One person's opinion vs. quite a few reviews from car magazines, I will take the magazine's opinion since they are all saying the same exact thing. I will wait of course until I get to sit in one,for my final opinion, but until then I can only go from what I have heard and that is high praise except for one person.
I haven't stepped into a 221 yet so I can't make a judgement. All I was saying was that it wouldnt surprise me if it was of lesser quality. I saw the same autoweek article you're referring to and it does look nice in the pictures, but I don't know how the quality of materials would look like in real life, though the design of it is very nice.

But I do remember when the 220 came out and how magazines complained of its cheap looking interior. Hopefully the interior of the 221 turns out very well, I love the way the exterior looks and I'm seriously considering one.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by Chi500
I haven't stepped into a 221 yet so I can't make a judgement. All I was saying was that it wouldnt surprise me if it was of lesser quality. I saw the same autoweek article you're referring to and it does look nice in the pictures, but I don't know how the quality of materials would look like in real life, though the design of it is very nice.

But I do remember when the 220 came out and how magazines complained of its cheap looking interior. Hopefully the interior of the 221 turns out very well, I love the way the exterior looks and I'm seriously considering one.

Chi500,

the interior is a major upgrade from the 220. Make sure you get the premium leather upholstery, it is very nice and better than the old nappa leather option. This car is much tighter and very well built compared to its 220 predecessor.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:44 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by Kar don
Chi500,

the interior is a major upgrade from the 220. Make sure you get the premium leather upholstery, it is very nice and better than the old nappa leather option. This car is much tighter and very well built compared to its 220 predecessor.
So let me clarify your comment, if I may. The W221 interior is a "major upgrade" over the W220, but I should still "make sure" that I stiil do an additional upgrade and get the "premium leather"? The Nappa on my 2004 S500, if I remember correctly, was not an option, with Designo being the only premium interior.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:45 PM
ON PROBATION

esntrk1-
Man, I seriously hope that you're not losing sleep over this LOL. The car is a complete makeover of the S-Class. They are not even producing them in volume yet that I know of -- they are just getting started. This car is miles ahead of any other MBZ product out there (especially your MY00 S500) in terms of technology: all of their new tech of the last few years and the best of the new stuff that they've culled from the development boys are all going into, and being showcased, in this car -- do you really think that it is going to be a POS? MBZ flagship class? Get real. Take deep breaths. It'll be alright.
Let 'em start produing them. Let them get the kinks out. Let them put the higher quality and evolution parts in the production bins.
This car will be utterly fantastic -- probably one of the best Benzes ever...they've just got to get a little further up the hill on the production curve. I am waiting until after the June builds to make my decision; may I suggest that you do the same?
Old 12-26-2005, 04:53 PM

1963 220Sb
Originally Posted by esntrk1
What magazine in the world be dumb enough to say anything negative about MB's flagship vehicle? Say bye-bye to those advertising dollars.
Most magazines if not all, when talking about MB's lately have complained about the interior quality, except for the CLS and and more recent MB's. The press is not afraid to be critical of MB's and their recent quality woes, it's not amatter of being dumb or not, they don't care if they rip MB.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:43 PM

BMW M850i Gran Coupe
S500 - S550 Brochure

Originally Posted by lkirchner
Where did you get a brochure?

http://www.mbfaq.com/docs/catalogos/...221_ingles.pdf

Edit: Revise url address

Last edited by MBZFAN55; 12-26-2005 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:48 PM
Almost a Member!

i originally found it on spanish website...this is the english translation if the spanish broshure..english version will be slightly different since there is no s350 or shortbody
Old 12-26-2005, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by ewde1
i originally found it on spanish website...this is the english translation if the spanish broshure..english version will be slightly different since there is no s350 or shortbody
Option availability will be totally different in US model vs. the EURO model also.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The link did not work. Please repost.

Thnaks
Old 12-26-2005, 06:12 PM

BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by lkirchner
The link did not work. Please repost.

Thnaks
Sorry. Try it now, I just edited the link.

Old 12-26-2005, 08:27 PM
Almost a Member!

try this one

Old 12-26-2005, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
I sat in one last week. Although i was not blown away, id classify it as adequate. id expect it to be more. the buttons are more audi-esqe.

what absolutely KILLS me is that A) STILL no steering wheel presets to scroll thru and B) STILL you can not view street names on the map unless you zoom all the way in. Since these are both annoying, simple and lame issues that have been around for years, it pisses me off to the point where I wouldnt buy the car. Pathetic. Petty, yes, but thats why you buy a car like this. Overall the car was nice and had a decent feel. Dont think I'd get one without all the options, which would push it to 100k. Not worth it.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350S4
Sat in one today. Interior looks nicer and less cheap than the W220 (although I think the W220 isn't too bad... definitely many steps down from the W126 interior, though). Materials feel the same, however, from leather seating surfaces to plastic buttons. Even the door locks are the same early 90's squared off style. The metal buttons do seem to be real metal, however. No deforming when I pressed them...

Rear fender flare is still hideous in person. Trunk's a tad small, too. Otherwise, the car is quite nice.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
I'll have to see the new interior up close because the Brochure says:

"Metalised controls and real aluminum switches"

M
Old 12-27-2005, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by Incendiary
Sat in one today. Interior looks nicer and less cheap than the W220 (although I think the W220 isn't too bad... definitely many steps down from the W126 interior, though). Materials feel the same, however, from leather seating surfaces to plastic buttons. Even the door locks are the same early 90's squared off style. The metal buttons do seem to be real metal, however. No deforming when I pressed them...

Rear fender flare is still hideous in person. Trunk's a tad small, too. Otherwise, the car is quite nice.
The fender flares are really what bother me also. The rear ones look like stick on's...they are just there with no blend to the body.

I finally realized what was bothering me about the front flares. Because of the way they curve towards the ground on the trailing edge, the car looks like it is ready to collapse downward where the front door meets the front fender. In other words the lines of the car do not extend from the front fender to the rear, but follows the line of the fender flare to the ground. It looks front heavy.

But...I will still reserve judgement until I see one in person. I have to be careful in my criticism because it may end up in my driveway in a year or two...:-)
Old 12-27-2005, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBZFAN55
Sorry. Try it now, I just edited the link.

Got it. Thanks
Old 12-27-2005, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ewde1
Thanks
Old 12-28-2005, 12:46 PM

2000 S500
Yea I am pretty upset about it. The W221 is supposed to be the undisputed king of luxury sedans. I should not be able to find any discrepancies with the interior of the vehicle.

I am still trying to download the brochure but the link is not active. If anyone has it please email it to me.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:45 PM

1963 220Sb
Here is another one by the English who are always critical of MB.

"Once inside, our misgivings evaporate. Nearly all the switchgear has been revamped to create a bespoke cabin feel, and build quality is out of this world."

Here is the whole article: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/preview...nz_s350_l.html
Old 12-28-2005, 10:20 PM

Mercedes all the way!
phybenz: regarding the Autoexpress article, you are correct in saying they are usually critical of Merc. but the fact that they think the W220 has "imposing angles" makes me a little worried about their editorial quality :p

moving on, the metal buttons aren't 100% metal (much too expensive for a mass production car), but they should NOT deform when anyone presses them. not even plastic deforms when you press hard.

there's no way the quality can be worse than a '00 W220 - that car has plastics worse than a Kia! (i should know, had a second-hand one for a few months). only the facelifted ones are worth a comparison.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:25 AM
Almost a Member!

S550: Disappointing !

Spent some time in the new S550 2 days ago......
Buttons that are real metal or not ...who cares...The point is the car interior is very disappointing. They are supposed to be the best quality cars out there...and this is just not cuting it. The design is as mediocre as the pictures I had seen seemed to show.....The clock in the center is horrible...cheap looking and just doesn't fit the theme.......The "I drive" button feels way cheaper than the BMW 7. I think that the overall quality of materials in the BMW 7 IS noticeably better...even though I am not in love with that car's interior also...

The exterior is very nice I thought....but why do I have to work SO hard at just tolerating the interior !!!!!!!

By the way...this car was fully configured, not a base model......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Quality of Materials