S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

S Class, Why the Rush?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 05:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
S Class, Why the Rush?

If you want to be the first on the block with the car, then go ahead, but you'll probably be getting a product that is not complete. You just know that towards the fourth quarter, they will release a different engine, probably a V6 CDI Bluetech in this car, which will have plenty of low end torque; maybe a smaller V8 will be offered. Also, they will have solved the production problems that EVERY new car model has when it first comes off the line. And, you can order the options you want.( That is a separate subject that makes me crazy. You have to order OPTIONS in a $90,000 car?)

I traded in my 2002 S Class for my 05 CDI. I have never regretted it. The ride is just slightly not as good, but I don't have to worry about a $2,000 bill when the air-ride hiccups. I have my drive dynamic seats, Sirius, nav, and integrated phone. I am a happy camper, and I like diesels!
Old 03-02-2006, 11:21 AM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
What rush? I don't get the sense that people in this forum are dashing off to their Mercedes dealer to lay down deposits on an '07 S-Class. I'm as willing as the next person to bad-mouth those wheel arches, but even if it looked liked a Maserati Quattroporte I still wouldn't want an S-Class because it's just too dang big. Driving around in too much car for your needs isn't smart.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
S-class is in price range where "being first" may be important.

Applying Chevy principles somehow doesn't seem relevant.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
After going through buying one of the first couple hundred W220s delievered to the U.S. in 1999, I would not recommend buying the first delievries.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz w124
Originally Posted by lkchris
S-class is in price range where "being first" may be important.

Applying Chevy principles somehow doesn't seem relevant.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
To Each His Own

Get a life guys...if you don't want one, don't buy it. If you want to wait for the CDI...wait. If you think it's too big...buy the E. If you think it's a status thing then don't concern yourself with an S because you will never understand why people like to drive them. If you think only early builds have problems then buy one later.

Don't deny the people who have ordered or taken delivery on the new S their fun with it...let them be the ones to have all the problems and miss all the great improvements that you in your great wisdom will take advantage of by waiting. Of course, when you order one, there will be others who say wait for the next facelift or new design...sound familiar.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:12 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Get a life guys...if you don't want one, don't buy it. If you want to wait for the CDI...wait. If you think it's too big...buy the E. If you think it's a status thing then don't concern yourself with an S because you will never understand why people like to drive them. If you think only early builds have problems then buy one later.

Don't deny the people who have ordered or taken delivery on the new S their fun with it...let them be the ones to have all the problems and miss all the great improvements that you in your great wisdom will take advantage of by waiting. Of course, when you order one, there will be others who say wait for the next facelift or new design...sound familiar.
Jack, I don't want to say I liked your comments, but I think mbworld.com should make a "sticky" of the above quote, and place it in every forum. Thank you for one of the most poignant forum thoughts in recent memory!
Old 03-03-2006, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500

Exactly! Couldn't have said better myself.

Of course there will be a smaller V8 model eventually, a S63 and likely a S320 CDI, but you can't just spend all your time waiting for the next model. Before you know it this brand new S will be getting a facelift and some will say "I'll wait for the next one" because a FL signals the S is now middle aged and headed for replacement. You'd never get a car like that!

M
Old 03-03-2006, 11:28 AM

2001 E320

Absolutely perfect! I myself don't have one on order but if I did, I don't want someone to rain on my parade.

As Lee Iacocca said in his commercials years ago: “If you can find a better car, buy it” or something to that effect. A new S-Class may not be for everyone, and that's okay. There's are a lot of great, luxury products out there to choose from.

I say congratulations to all those who have a S550 on order…
Old 03-03-2006, 01:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Originally Posted by DWP
Driving around in too much car for your needs isn't smart.
oh, but it's such a fine way to impress people...
Old 03-03-2006, 01:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Of course, when you order one, there will be others who say wait for the next facelift or new design...sound familiar.

totally! as with computers, so with autos. if people thought more about what turns them on, rather than what they're "supposed to" like or want, they'd be a lot happier about their own choices, and wouldn't be so bothered with those of others.

like that goofball on that fashion tv show "runway" says, "follow your bliss".

jeez... i can't believe i just quoted that idiot.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:00 PM

98 Ford Explorer Limited, 2007 S550 LE

Well said Nevada Jack. I"m not even going to front. This is my first luxury car purchase, and I want to be one of the first to have this car on the road, in my neighborhood, at my job. It's a straight up status thing and a reward for working hard and living life. You can't take it with you, so why not spend some and enjoy. I can wait and save more than a couple grand on the purchase and get the distronic plus and electronic trunk closer. But by then everyone and there momma is going to have one and to me it will lose it's appeal. So I'm going to spend the mondey now, stunt hard and be happy with my Launch Edition. I'm already preparing a CD for my first drive. So Fresh and So Clean by Outkast is one of the Top 5 songs.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by akburton
Well said Nevada Jack. I"m not even going to front. This is my first luxury car purchase, and I want to be one of the first to have this car on the road, in my neighborhood, at my job. It's a straight up status thing and a reward for working hard and living life. You can't take it with you, so why not spend some and enjoy. I can wait and save more than a couple grand on the purchase and get the distronic plus and electronic trunk closer. But by then everyone and there momma is going to have one and to me it will lose it's appeal. So I'm going to spend the mondey now, stunt hard and be happy with my Launch Edition. I'm already preparing a CD for my first drive. So Fresh and So Clean by Outkast is one of the Top 5 songs.
Amen...! Enjoy it while you can, for whatever reason you want. I retired at age 55 and had I waited, my wife and I would not have had the opportunity to enjoy every minute that life allowed us. You work hard for whatever you have and it is your pleasure to spend it, not for someone else to question your choice or give you advice unless you ask for it. Drive it baby...turn the volume up and rattle the windows...:-)
Old 03-04-2006, 02:46 AM

Totally agree with Nevada Jack. There are lots of rationalizations for waiting, always.
But one big reason to do things now:
Life is short, and you should enjoy it.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:01 AM

2001 E320
Originally Posted by Marsden
Totally agree with Nevada Jack. There are lots of rationalizations for waiting, always.
But one big reason to do things now:
Life is short, and you should enjoy it.
Saw a blurb on Dr. Phill the other night, putting things in perspective: I might have 24 years left, or 1,248 weeks, or 8,760 days left. Hope I use those wisely.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Richard / E320
Saw a blurb on Dr. Phill the other night, putting things in perspective: I might have 24 years left, or 1,248 weeks, or 8,760 days left. Hope I use those wisely.
Remember "time flies when your having fun..." Use if "wisely" or unwisely but use it for what YOU want...:-)