S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

new S class vs BMW 750 pricing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The AMG wheels do look nice, but I cannot fathom why the package is so pricey. No one else charges what MB does for a sport package, though Audi has recently begun charging about two-thirds as much with its S-Line.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by guru
I am a little surprised that the new S class is almost 15 K more expensive than the 750 (86 k vs 71 K). 71 K seems like a bargain price for a hi-end large sedan. I am sure you get more bells and whistles with the S class but still....
I just back from the show room.
Being sitting in the S-class interior for 10 mins, I felt I had never wanted to walk out.The feeling was like the first time I walked into St. Pete Cathedeal in Rome! The 7-series interior is a piece of smelly ****.
S-class interior is priceless.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
It's the overall package

Originally Posted by Germancar1
I guess I don't see how one could buy a car that they thought was ugly and didn't like the driver interface???

M
No car is perfect in my eyes.

It's the overall package. The M5 I couldn't pull the trigger due to his ugly headlights and cheap interior, but the face lifted 7 series, I could. I was comparing the 7 to the last year of the S, a LS430 and a XJ. The 750Li won back in Nov as I could order the upgraded Individual package (much better than the regular 7 interior), and it was significantly cheaper than even the last model S500.

Back then, I also had an E55 and didn't want two MB in the household.

However, the S-class is probably what I would buy now, especially if I can order the designo package with piano black wood. The new V8 is sweet. The 4matic S550 will be a nice alternative over the A8. Instead of a 750Li and an E63, I would have done a S550 4matic and an M5 perhaps.

By the way, one less publicized advantage of the new S over the 7, the doors open far wider. The 7 series auto trunk does not auto close from driver's seat, and the Mercedes leather, well, at least in the AMG smells better than the 7's upgraded merino leather.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by W210
No car is perfect in my eyes.

It's the overall package. The M5 I couldn't pull the trigger due to his ugly headlights and cheap interior, but the face lifted 7 series, I could. I was comparing the 7 to the last year of the S, a LS430 and a XJ. The 750Li won back in Nov as I could order the upgraded Individual package (much better than the regular 7 interior), and it was significantly cheaper than even the last model S500.

Back then, I also had an E55 and didn't want two MB in the household.

However, the S-class is probably what I would buy now, especially if I can order the designo package with piano black wood. The new V8 is sweet. The 4matic S550 will be a nice alternative over the A8. Instead of a 750Li and an E63, I would have done a S550 4matic and an M5 perhaps.

By the way, one less publicized advantage of the new S over the 7, the doors open far wider. The 7 series auto trunk does not auto close from driver's seat, and the Mercedes leather, well, at least in the AMG smells better than the 7's upgraded merino leather.

Ok, got it. I understand what you're saying. I guess if I were buying a car in this price range styling would be just as important anything else. I couldn't ever buy a car I thought didn't look right or was ugly.

M
Old 03-18-2006, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by Germancar1
Ok, got it. I understand what you're saying. I guess if I were buying a car in this price range styling would be just as important anything else. I couldn't ever buy a car I thought didn't look right or was ugly.

M
Yeah, I guess we all have different priorities. Some pay more attention to looks, some weigh performance, luxury and value more. I'm actually thinking of saving up for the 997TT, but those fog lights... yet its performance...

The S550 is pretty much a home-run in my opinion, except perhaps those debatable wheel fenders. One small complaint is that I find it slightly less roomy than the 7, and the fact that MB is making all goodies optional $$$.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by W210
Yeah, I guess we all have different priorities. Some pay more attention to looks, some weigh performance, luxury and value more. I'm actually thinking of saving up for the 997TT, but those fog lights... yet its performance...

The S550 is pretty much a home-run in my opinion, except perhaps those debatable wheel fenders. One small complaint is that I find it slightly less roomy than the 7, and the fact that MB is making all goodies optional $$$.
Damn ! 997TT and new S-Class , both will fulfill my dreams of some kinds.
I never owned a Porsche nor a S-class.
Yes, 997TT is magnificance but first it is for DRIVING and second
it is for DRVING , and third, it is just DRIVING. With a 997TT, I would just be locked up in a tiny interior, feeling my *** on the ground, and that bumpy stiff suspensions drag my backbones, okay , bingo , fck it, it is 3.7s !
With the S-class, it is a great buy, it is a piece of jewel, touch it, feel it, and ride it. Even a S350 is now 7s and is only 10% less power than the old generation S500's 306hp. No need to go for a S500, the saving can go into all these luxury personalized PASSION leathers seats , not to say all these Airmatic, Night Vision, Paranomic Sunroof, Tiptronic buttons , Surround sound Computers! All all your friends will be happy to sit in it and as happy as like they are in Disneyland! It is so peaceful like I was in a spaceship travelling in outer space!

I will be proud and happy to own either of them.
But S-class is a much smarter buy than a 997TT , if we don't take owner's age into consideration.

Last edited by cntlaw; 03-18-2006 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:19 PM

2011 BMW 750 Individual, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Arctic Edition
rkao - I've got a deposit on a S8...to replace my 03 S500. But, now I'm considering a S550 Sport w/Designo...uggghh. What do you think of the S8?
Old 04-23-2006, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by Taurian
rkao - I've got a deposit on a S8...to replace my 03 S500. But, now I'm considering a S550 Sport w/Designo...uggghh. What do you think of the S8?
The S8 is an Audi...the S550 is a Mercedes Benz...and with the AMG Kit and Designo...it is really a Mercedes Benz...go with the S550!

It really is a great car...:-)
Old 04-24-2006, 03:09 PM

'12 ML350
Originally Posted by Taurian
Taurian, you have a PM
Old 04-24-2006, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Everyone has different priorities. That's why I don't understand why people pay so much attention to comparison tests. Unless the winning car wins in every category, it's not necessarily the best car for most people.

My complete take on this: http://www.truedelta.com/pieces/comparison_tests.php
Old 05-11-2006, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 M113K
Benz vs BMW

i love benz and my friend loves bmw we always compair which is better and has more toys and vice versa. I did get him to agree about the CLS55 no one cant not love it. Id love to have the new s550 but im happy with my W220!
Old 05-14-2006, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G63, AMG GT S
I don't think any car is BETTER. They just accel in different categories.

Before I got the CLK, I looked at the 3 series and the 5 series. I've owned a GS and a CLK before as well. And to me, the 3 and the 5 are both very sporty cars. They have the gadgets and the refinement that I would expect with such cars. However, the MBs have prestige and more luxury and comfort. And there's nothing wrong with that. I took the CLK over the 3 because I liked the styling and level of comfort a lot more. I love power, but I was not ready to give up luxury and styling for more power. That's not saying, though, that the CLK is better. The 3 is a great car. As is the 7. As is the S. They're just different.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G63, AMG GT S
Originally Posted by c240 kid
bmw = poor mans mercedes

so what do you think my opinion is?

S550 all the way!
Funny. I feel the same way about the C class.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Very funny. Lots of people think that the C Class is for the poor who can't afford a true Mercedes. However, it isn't a bad car at all. You don't look at a 3 series and think poor man's BMW.

Some people think the S Class is a funny car, since the US versions are all Long Wheel base (with the exception of the 300 series). Some people believe that you should have a chauffeur for such a vehicle unless you acquire the short wheel base version.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by guru
I am a little surprised that the new S class is almost 15 K more expensive than the 750 (86 k vs 71 K). 71 K seems like a bargain price for a hi-end large sedan. I am sure you get more bells and whistles with the S class but still....
Keep in mind, these are German cars. You need to price them with options. Furthermore, a closer competitor to the S550 would be the 750Li, since the S550 is a long wheel base model. Gotta compare apples to apples.

Then, think another bit, BMWs receive lesser discount. In the end, they come out to be about the same. Give or take a few thousand dollars.

So, do your homework, price the car with comparable options, then make an informed decision. Statistics can lie if they are used improperly, such as in this case when we say the one car is $86k and one is only $71k. These two cars are completely different.

However, to the less empowered person, one may not know the difference.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by trezaei
This is only my second Benz and to be honest I never even looked at BMW and had no idea I could have had a fully loaded 5-series for the same price if not less. And to me it doesn't matter.

There is no reason in my mind to compare these cars other than the fact that they're at the top of the mass-produced car market. Now that doesn't make the equivalent in anyway, it just makes them the top two players in quality, performance, and looks.

Pricing is based on a lot of things, but when it comes to the S-Class its certainly not meant to appeal to the value buyer. Its the flagship of Mercedes as its always been, and it should remain somewhat unaffordable and a status symbol for the few fortunate enough to afford spending money without hesitation. Its their way of keeping the S out of the hands of teens like the E has fallen into. You kids are just making too much money
I think the S-class really should be looked at differently and not compared from the value angle. The rest of the cars however I could certainly see that with.
..............I think the car manufacturers convince you to shell out your cash for whatever image or idea their car is meant to convey. How much cash you shell out depends on how much of the manufacturer's marking talking points you have swallowed line hook and sinker. I am not exempt from this because I own an 05 G55 which is definitely a niche vehicle. My point though is that some elect not to buy S-class because they swallow less of the manfacture's marketing hype or they have other preferences. For instance younger buyers may prefer to buy an E55 AMG because it is sportier. The E55 AMG costs the same or more than an S550. And as you can see from the activity on the E55 board, these folks efinitely enjoy their E55's.

Ted
Old 05-15-2006, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G63, AMG GT S
Originally Posted by patrick_y
Very funny. Lots of people think that the C Class is for the poor who can't afford a true Mercedes. However, it isn't a bad car at all.
I was merely commenting on the kid's comment.

But let me tell you something... I never said the C class was a bad car. In fact, for an entry level Mercedes, I think it's a great car. I love the styling of it. I think it's far more attractive than ANY 3 series, whether it be the performance 330i or the 2 door 330ci. The only thing it lacks is power. But with the new C350, hopefully this can be taken care of.

It's a $30k car. Anyone who buys one isn't to say, poor, BUT, this is the entry level sedan. It's like people who buy the Boxster instead of the 911. Anyone who buys a Porsche buys it because of the name and the power. And the Boxster doesn't really fufill either of the above. So why do they buy it? Because they can't spend the big bucks on the 911. The same goes with the Benz.

You don't look at a 3 series and think poor man's BMW.
Sure I do. For teenagers, NO. But for older people I do. It's for those who want the BMW experience but can't step up with the big bucks for the 5.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G63, AMG GT S
Keep in mind, these are German cars. You need to price them with options. Furthermore, a closer competitor to the S550 would be the 750Li, since the S550 is a long wheel base model. Gotta compare apples to apples.

Then, think another bit, BMWs receive lesser discount. In the end, they come out to be about the same. Give or take a few thousand dollars.

So, do your homework, price the car with comparable options, then make an informed decision. Statistics can lie if they are used improperly, such as in this case when we say the one car is $86k and one is only $71k. These two cars are completely different.

However, to the less empowered person, one may not know the difference.
FREE MAINTENANCE FOR 4 YEARS!!! ADD THOSE SAVINGS ONTO THE BMW.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:42 PM

C32
Very funny. Lots of people think that the C Class is for the poor who can't afford a true Mercedes. However, it isn't a bad car at all. You don't look at a 3 series and think poor man's BMW.

Some people think the S Class is a funny car, since the US versions are all Long Wheel base (with the exception of the 300 series). Some people believe that you should have a chauffeur for such a vehicle unless you acquire the short wheel base version.
The perception is rooted in the two manufacturers' history. BMW built their reputation with the 2002, then went on to build larger, more luxurious cars.

MB was the vice versa, from the S eventually to the C. When MB released the 190E back in 1983 it was popularly dubbed the "Poor Man Mercedes."
Old 05-15-2006, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by Toog4me
I was merely commenting on the kid's comment.

But let me tell you something... I never said the C class was a bad car. In fact, for an entry level Mercedes, I think it's a great car. I love the styling of it. I think it's far more attractive than ANY 3 series, whether it be the performance 330i or the 2 door 330ci. The only thing it lacks is power. But with the new C350, hopefully this can be taken care of.

It's a $30k car. Anyone who buys one isn't to say, poor, BUT, this is the entry level sedan. It's like people who buy the Boxster instead of the 911. Anyone who buys a Porsche buys it because of the name and the power. And the Boxster doesn't really fufill either of the above. So why do they buy it? Because they can't spend the big bucks on the 911. The same goes with the Benz.

Sure I do. For teenagers, NO. But for older people I do. It's for those who want the BMW experience but can't step up with the big bucks for the 5.
Oh, I didn't mean anybody said it was a bad car. Don't worry, no misunderstanding there.

I have to say that I agree with your assessment. As a very young person myself, I am expected to drive a C. My family members, who are all considerably more mature, wouldn't drive a C to save their lives. For example, one family member says that she's almost embarassed to drive the C.

This same person said that she felt that if the C Class were a BMW 3 series, she'd think that she could get away with it. However, when asked about the BMW 5 series, she said that was passive and stated that those were for people who couldn't afford a Mercedes. Which I personally don't agree with.

Lastly, I will say this, no matter my age or wealth, if I lived in a congested city such as San Francisco downtown, or in some area where parking is hard to find and roads are narrower, I would consider driving the C Class or a 3 series BMW.

So, after hearing your assessment and Ultraseven's assessment. This is how I think. I still don't think a BMW 3 series is a poor man's BMW, but I do think that the C is a poor man's Mercedes, unless if you're in a city or of younger age.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by ultraseven
The perception is rooted in the two manufacturers' history. BMW built their reputation with the 2002, then went on to build larger, more luxurious cars.

MB was the vice versa, from the S eventually to the C. When MB released the 190E back in 1983 it was popularly dubbed the "Poor Man Mercedes."
Totally agree with you here. BMW started with small cars and worked up, while Mercedes started with large cars and worked on down.

I'm quite familiar with the history of both marques and I oddly never took this into account. Today, I realized why the 3 series is more slightly expensive than the C Class, and why the 7 series is slightly less expensive than the S (when comparably equipped).
Old 05-15-2006, 10:35 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by lorinserbenz
Spell BMW backwards WMB>>> Wanted Mercedes Benz..

The 7 is a great value in comparison to the benz... but its ugly.
How about B M TROUBLE U
Old 05-17-2006, 09:50 PM

2006 VW Passat
The 7-series is more of a bland hi end luxury car, which to me is tailored to the company execs who are like 60 or 70 years old, and the S-class is the youthful fun to drive, beauty all the while it is a beast for 15k more.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:40 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 S500, 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid, 2004 Chevy Suburbin, 1986 Toyota pickup, 1984 Toyota Supra
Originally Posted by Richard / E320
Agreed! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and speaking only for myself, I would rather behold the new S-Class (or even the W220 chassis) than the current BMW 7-Series.
I agree! The 7 series looks like a normal $30,000 dollar. If you took out the BMW and 7 series sign you wouldn't know it was a luxurious car. Think about it.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by mand
The 7-series is more of a bland hi end luxury car, which to me is tailored to the company execs who are like 60 or 70 years old, and the S-class is the youthful fun to drive, beauty all the while it is a beast for 15k more.
I'm sorry, did you say bland? The BMW 750 out-accelerates (in some tests, matches in others), out-corners, and out-stops the S550, and has the most polarizing styling in the segment, and you think it's bland? Youch. The new S is far more dynamic than the old one, but the BMW still beats it as a driver's car. To me, the Lexus LS sounds much more like the car you're describing than the 7er. Sitting in both, the S-Class feels poised and elegent, a true luxo-cruiser, grand and sweeping, but the 7-Series just feel...edgier somehow, more focused.

And I love the styling. It's not beautiful, but it strikes me as a crouching tiger, in a "cyborg killer-limo" sort of way.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: new S class vs BMW 750 pricing