S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

You never know what each day will bring....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 ML63; 05 E55 (sold)
You never know what each day will bring....

Wife took the kids to the beach this afternoon, so I decided spur of the moment to take a ride to my local MB dealer to take a close look at the new S550. Although I love my 05 E55, I wanted to see what all the buzz has been about. I had been thinking about getting a big sedan for a change, and with the E63 in the works I thought it might be a good time to jump if the S looked good. The dealer had two S550's on the lot, white and flint grey, both lightly optioned.
I really liked the exterior in person. I liked the 9 spoke wheels better than the optional 5 spokers which you'll see on the flint S. The wheel arches and trunk line work well IMO. The S class really makes a statement. The interior is classy and well laid out and the build quality seemed excellent. The car was extremely quiet and smooth and felt very powerful. This car is packed with technology and gadgets. The voice activated commands worked flawlessly. The seats were VERY comfortable. I had placed a deposit for an S63 about six months ago, but since it seems it will be awhile before we see the S63, I placed and order for the S550!
I have a May build/June delivery. Here is my order:

07 S550
Obsidian Black/ Savannah/Cashmere
AMG Sport package
Sirius
Ventilated/heated and Drive Dynamic multicontour seats w/massage
Electronic trunk closer
Power rear and side sunshades
Rear view monitor

The other options did not seem worth their cost to me. Color choice was tough, but really how can you go wrong with a black S with some dark tint. I have obsidian on the E55 and I love it. I gotta admit that I thought hard about white which really looks good on the S. Went with the beige interior for a change. I have not yet seen this interior in person. Anyone have any comments on the beige interior in the new S? The salesman said it was really nice.I still have time to ultimately decide on colors. I would have to see andorite in the flesh before I would order it. I can tell you that the grey interior is very underwhelming. It is not the nice ash grey. It is quite drab in person and does nothing for the interior IMO.

Now the wait begins, and I have to get the E55 sold. The only concern I have is that I really love the raw intoxicating power of the E55....will I miss it with the more sedate S550? (I'm a young 40 years old, which is kinda young I think for an S class), but the car is so damn classy and comfortable, and with my kids getting bigger, it seems like a good choice. Hopefully I won't regret leaving the AMG line-up.

Also, the tranny stick on the steering column was a neat touch. Here are a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails You never know what each day will bring....-dscf0013.jpg   You never know what each day will bring....-dscf0014.jpg   You never know what each day will bring....-dscf0021.jpg   You never know what each day will bring....-dscf0023.jpg   You never know what each day will bring....-dscf0025.jpg  

Old 03-11-2006, 10:45 PM

07 ML63; 05 E55 (sold)
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I ordered the wood steering wheel also. A bargain at 500.00
Old 03-11-2006, 10:56 PM
Banned

The S class is just the best looking sedan out there now. Theres nothing you wouldn't like about this car its just beautiful. Also good decision on the wood steering wheel it makes it look more luxury but the down part is that on long drives when ur hands get sweaty you loose grip buts its not a reason to not get it. I

I've seen the beige interior on the White S550 and and the beige is so nice especially when you have the black color on the exterior its a good combo.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:59 PM

'07 S550, '03 FXDWG
Congrats Eagle! The E55 is no slouch, so moving up (laterally?) to the S550 should be an easy transition. Having test drove the S550, I found the power more than adequate, but you can always "chip" it if you want to squeak out some more HPs...

My S550 gets built in approx 10 days, and it couldn't be soon enough. Unlike you and your E-Class, I'm currently driving a Porsche Boxster S-- a great and fun ride, but I'm ready for some real room and luxury. And the Porsche Radio? Don't get me started...

My S550 is my 41st birthday gift to myself, so I'm in the same age range as you. Mine is ordered black on black, and after some 20" rims and maybe some tint, it'll be complete. Well, I'll also have to install XM Radio-- can't miss out on Opie and Anthony! Hoohoo...

I'm told it's about six weeks from build to arrival. True?

When mine gets built, I'll start a countdown thread. Can't wait!
Old 03-11-2006, 11:01 PM

'07 S550, '03 FXDWG
Originally Posted by Benzrider
The S class is just the best looking sedan out there now. Theres nothing you wouldn't like about this car its just beautiful. Also good decision on the wood steering wheel it makes it look more luxury but the down part is that on long drives when ur hands get sweaty you loose grip buts its not a reason to not get it.
If your hands are sweaty and the wheel is wood, wouldn't it grip even more? I mean damp sweaty, not soaking.

Besides, crank the A/C and avoid the sweat!
Old 03-11-2006, 11:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Congrats on ther order man!
Old 03-11-2006, 11:29 PM
ON PROBATION

Nicely done. You should be appreciating the fineness and newness of the S upon taking delivery enough that you shouldn't miss the AMGness of the E55 for a little while at least....

I have thought about that issue, and that is why I am going with the S65 -- but there is one heckuva price difference, and why? In your case I am sure that the S550 will serve you better than your E55 did, or than an S65 would....

Good for you, and well done. Can't wait to hear all about it on the forums....
Old 03-11-2006, 11:38 PM

07 ML63; 05 E55 (sold)
Originally Posted by JAdmiral
Congrats Eagle! The E55 is no slouch, so moving up (laterally?) to the S550 should be an easy transition. Having test drove the S550, I found the power more than adequate, but you can always "chip" it if you want to squeak out some more HPs...

My S550 gets built in approx 10 days, and it couldn't be soon enough. Unlike you and your E-Class, I'm currently driving a Porsche Boxster S-- a great and fun ride, but I'm ready for some real room and luxury. And the Porsche Radio? Don't get me started...

My S550 is my 41st birthday gift to myself, so I'm in the same age range as you. Mine is ordered black on black, and after some 20" rims and maybe some tint, it'll be complete. Well, I'll also have to install XM Radio-- can't miss out on Opie and Anthony! Hoohoo...

I'm told it's about six weeks from build to arrival. True?

When mine gets built, I'll start a countdown thread. Can't wait!
Cant wait to see your pics. Did you get the AMG sport package? What rims are you looking at? Why not go with Sirius? Can XM be integrated into the comand?
Old 03-11-2006, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by eagleeye
Wife took the kids to the beach this afternoon, so I decided spur of the moment to take a ride to my local MB dealer to take a close look at the new S550. Although I love my 05 E55, I wanted to see what all the buzz has been about. I had been thinking about getting a big sedan for a change, and with the E63 in the works I thought it might be a good time to jump if the S looked good. The dealer had two S550's on the lot, white and flint grey, both lightly optioned.
I really liked the exterior in person. I liked the 9 spoke wheels better than the optional 5 spokers which you'll see on the flint S. The wheel arches and trunk line work well IMO. The S class really makes a statement. The interior is classy and well laid out and the build quality seemed excellent. The car was extremely quiet and smooth and felt very powerful. This car is packed with technology and gadgets. The voice activated commands worked flawlessly. The seats were VERY comfortable. I had placed a deposit for an S63 about six months ago, but since it seems it will be awhile before we see the S63, I placed and order for the S550!
I have a May build/June delivery. Here is my order:

07 S550
Obsidian Black/ Savannah/Cashmere
AMG Sport package
Sirius
Ventilated/heated and Drive Dynamic multicontour seats w/massage
Electronic trunk closer
Power rear and side sunshades
Rear view monitor

The other options did not seem worth their cost to me. Color choice was tough, but really how can you go wrong with a black S with some dark tint. I have obsidian on the E55 and I love it. I gotta admit that I thought hard about white which really looks good on the S. Went with the beige interior for a change. I have not yet seen this interior in person. Anyone have any comments on the beige interior in the new S? The salesman said it was really nice.I still have time to ultimately decide on colors. I would have to see andorite in the flesh before I would order it. I can tell you that the grey interior is very underwhelming. It is not the nice ash grey. It is quite drab in person and does nothing for the interior IMO.

Now the wait begins, and I have to get the E55 sold. The only concern I have is that I really love the raw intoxicating power of the E55....will I miss it with the more sedate S550? (I'm a young 40 years old, which is kinda young I think for an S class), but the car is so damn classy and comfortable, and with my kids getting bigger, it seems like a good choice. Hopefully I won't regret leaving the AMG line-up.

Also, the tranny stick on the steering column was a neat touch. Here are a few pics.
Nice package...congratulations. I was going to say make sure you order the wood wheel...it makes the interior but I see you did order it.

Are you sure you want a beige interior...everything is brown or beige with no contrast...did you consider grey...LOL

Looks like there are going to be a lot of pictures come May/Jun and July....
Old 03-11-2006, 11:53 PM

07 ML63; 05 E55 (sold)
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack

Are you sure you want a beige interior...everything is brown or beige with no contrast...did you consider grey...LOL
Good one! Actually I'm not sure about the beige. I have blk/blk now and thought some type of change might be nice, but I really would like opinions, good or bad, on the beige interior. I have 2 months to make up my mind.

I looked closely at the andorite in the sun in the brochure laying on top of the flint car. Jack, your pics of the andorite at Glauser look like the flint car in my pics, but the chip in the brochure of the andorite is considerably lighter in shade and without the greenish hue seen in the flint. It looks strong and I may go with andorite as well if I can see one in person before my order is up.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good one! Actually I'm not sure about the beige. I have blk/blk now and thought some type of change might be nice, but I really would like opinions, good or bad, on the beige interior. I have 2 months to make up my mind.

I looked closely at the andorite in the sun in the brochure laying on top of the flint car. Jack, your pics of the andorite at Glauser look like the flint car in my pics, but the chip in the brochure of the andorite is considerably lighter in shade and without the greenish hue seen in the flint. It looks strong and I may go with andorite as well if I can see one in person before my order is up.
I would say the Andorite is half the depth of grey that the Flint is. Compare the contrast of the Iridium car with the Andorite in the Glauser pictrues and then look at the Flint and you will see how much lighter it really is. Look at the difference between the image in the upper right and the lower left in your shots. The Flint car in your picture is in full sun...the Andorite in the Glauser pictures are during a snow storm and no sun. This flattens the color and provides no highlights.

I don't like dark grey exteriors and silver is too common these days...I think the Anorite is a happy medium and if the blue/green hue comes out and reflects in the sun those properties...it should look great. I took the chip in the brochure out in the sun and by changing the position, it picked up those blue/green hues nicely.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:24 AM

'07 S550, '03 FXDWG
Cant wait to see your pics. Did you get the AMG sport package? What rims are you looking at? Why not go with Sirius? Can XM be integrated into the comand?
I would have liked the sport package, but for $5600, just didn't seem THAT worth it.

I ordered:
Black/Black
P2: Vented seats, Sirius, Keyless Go, Parktronic
Trunk closer
Wood steering wheel
Dynamic rear monitor
18" 5 Spoke (n/c)

Sirius came in the P1a, and would be fine for music channels, but I prefer XM for both the music (most stations have no DJs, and the ones that do don't yammer endlessly like on Sirius). As far as I can imagine, the XM won't integrate with COMAND-- I'll have to use the FM tuner method.

As far as rims go, I haven't decided. I did filed a good website that shows a LOT of manufacturer's rims: http://www.wheeltech.com/wheels/index.html

I'll be sure to post lots of pics when she arrives. Until then, we'll count the days off, in misery, together.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
congrats friend!
i really like this car in white, but you sound like you take care of your cars so keeping that black car clean at all times shouldnt be a problem lol and we all know theres nothing like a crisp clean black car...

enjoy!
Old 03-12-2006, 02:16 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Just got an S550 Launch Edition last wk; will drive it until my S65 arrives in ?Aug06.

Prelim views: outstanding $100K car....styling IMO is excellent, esp when seen live. Audio/nav/Bluetooth/ergonomics/fit&finish are class-leading. Safety technologies in this car simply dwarf those of any car, inclg Mercs based on 5 yr old tech like the SL's and E's.

Dynamically, great torque band for those 50-100MPH fwy surges. Unless planning to only keep S550 as a stop-gap car until getting S/CL65/63, I'd definitely hold out for AMG S/CL63/65......

Without AMG's performance-tuned/programmed steering/ABC&ESP software/upgraded brakes and tires/sportier seats/thicker leather steering wheel/paddle shifters, etc, I don't feel safe/confident driving an S550 around even mild fwy curves (let alone twisties) w/its luxury-tuned suspension/steering/brakes/etc at more than 5-10MPH over posted sp lims.....

My daily car is a 996TTS Coupe, so I've become addicted to sharp steering/chassis dynamics/brake pedal feel, etc....perhaps those more accustomed to SUVs and/or those who drive on straight, city/suburban surface streets 99% of time, won't mind the S550's more sloppy performance attributes?
Old 03-12-2006, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WSH
Just got an S550 Launch Edition last wk; will drive it until my S65 arrives in ?Aug06.

Prelim views: outstanding $100K car....styling IMO is excellent, esp when seen live. Audio/nav/Bluetooth/ergonomics/fit&finish are class-leading. Safety technologies in this car simply dwarf those of any car, inclg Mercs based on 5 yr old tech like the SL's and E's.

Dynamically, great torque band for those 50-100MPH fwy surges. Unless planning to only keep S550 as a stop-gap car until getting S/CL65/63, I'd definitely hold out for AMG S/CL63/65......

Without AMG's performance-tuned/programmed steering/ABC&ESP software/upgraded brakes and tires/sportier seats/thicker leather steering wheel/paddle shifters, etc, I don't feel safe/confident driving an S550 around even mild fwy curves (let alone twisties) w/its luxury-tuned suspension/steering/brakes/etc at more than 5-10MPH over posted sp lims.....

My daily car is a 996TTS Coupe, so I've become addicted to sharp steering/chassis dynamics/brake pedal feel, etc....perhaps those more accustomed to SUVs and/or those who drive on straight, city/suburban surface streets 99% of time, won't mind the S550's more sloppy performance attributes?
Congratulations on your LE S550. Sound like a ringing endorsement until "you" drove it...

Based on your driving preferences, I would guess from your comments it doesn't live up to your high level of driving skills or needs. For the rest of us Sunday drivers "accustomed" to normal performance of a luxury sedan, we will just have to be satisfied with it's "sloppy performance attributes."

I think your assessment is a little over the top. Why you would buy such a $100K poor performer for a 6 month "stop-gap car" that you do not feel "safe" driving is a little beyond my comprehension.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by WSH

I think that is all in your mind, a car like the S550 is easily cable or hustling once you get used to it. If you drive a Porsche 996TT everyday then you are most definitely "used" to the performance of the Porsche. What a nice "problem" to have! For a sedan of its class I don't think the S550 is sloppy at all, nothing with four doors short of a M5 or Quattroporte will even come close to your Porsche.

M
Old 03-13-2006, 04:36 AM

a Few Nice cars.
anyone feel like ordering me a w221???..lol

congrats on your order bro!!!..hope to afford one in the future one day!!!
Old 03-13-2006, 10:20 AM

98 Ford Explorer Limited, 2007 S550 LE

Personally, I prefer the black on cream/beige interior. That color combo is fierce. The white is nice to. I really considered that as well. But since I'm getting the LE, I really don't have any choice, so I just let it go. You are a young 40 and feelyou are too young for this car. I just entered into my late twenties and while I definitely don't fit the stereotype of an S Class driver, the car is too hot not get. I will probably upgrade the tire and wheels possibly in the future and do some Tint, that's it. Can't no one say anything to you for 18mos easy. It's a wrap this year for all other cars.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:22 AM

2006 SL55 with 030 Performance Package
5 to 10MPH above the posted speed limit, I think you can do much more than that safely in a 2007 S550, the optional ABC suspension would further enhance the handling of the S550 (Standard on S600 and S AMGs)

I was pushing the S550 air suspension hard at high speeds in cornering and thought the car felt very predicatble and safe feeling, not as good as my SL55 but very good for such a huge luxuary car

Congrats on the LE and the S65AMG will just be AWSOME!!!

AMGBENZ
Old 03-16-2006, 09:51 PM
Vic

Originally Posted by WSH

Please say you're kidding! I'll grant that you can't compare the handling to a 996, but it's hard to believe that someone addicted to sharp steering/chassis dynamics/brake pedal feel, etc. would find the S550's handling so bad that they don't feel safe/confident driving around mild freeway curves at more than 5-10 MPH over posted limits.

I'm no racer, but I go faster than that around curves (and twisties) in my SUV.