S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Navigation w/traffic updates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 Ford Explorer Limited, 2007 S550 LE
Navigation w/traffic updates

Does the new S550 navigation system have traffic updates to let you know if your choosen route is congested and does it suggest alternate routes?
Old 03-22-2006, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by akburton
Does the new S550 navigation system have traffic updates to let you know if your choosen route is congested and does it suggest alternate routes?
I don't think that feature is supported in the US. I would be pleasantly surprised if it did. Some sections of Europe and the Far East may have that capability.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:55 AM

2004 S55
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I don't think that feature is supported in the US. I would be pleasantly surprised if it did. Some sections of Europe and the Far East may have that capability.
Europe has a radio traffic data service called RDS TMS and I believe the COMAND system in vehicles over there supports it (could be wrong though). XM has a traffic data dservice (XM NavTraffic) to go along with there audio traffic stations. Newer Nav systems are starting to take advantage of this to incorporate the data into Nav routing. Acura already has this available in their nav systems.

Sirius has rolled out their own system, Sirius Traffic, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that the US COMAND nav systems will be compatible or that the Sirius tuners in the W221s will be able to receive this traffic data. That's one downside to the satellite radio technology. New features and services are being introduced regularly by XM and Sirius but most of them require new hardware which isn't something easy to accomoodate on stock systems.

Jeff
Old 03-22-2006, 01:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This feature is available in the Acura brands. The Nav even aids in turning the adaptive headlights.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:27 PM

S500 LWB ( W221 ) - CL63 Biturbo ( W216 ) CL 55 Kompressor ( W215 Sold ) C43 AMG ( W202 Sold )
Yes we have TMS in the UK, which predicts traffic hold ups and diverts you to a more traffic free route.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kenstudios
This feature is available in the Acura brands. The Nav even aids in turning the adaptive headlights.
I'll take the S550 with COMAND without traffic notices and rely on the steering wheel to turn the adaptive lights...:-) I have bad vibes from an earlier adventure with a Acura Vigor...
Old 03-22-2006, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by rgbyhkr
Europe has a radio traffic data service called RDS TMS and I believe the COMAND system in vehicles over there supports it (could be wrong though). XM has a traffic data dservice (XM NavTraffic) to go along with there audio traffic stations. Newer Nav systems are starting to take advantage of this to incorporate the data into Nav routing. Acura already has this available in their nav systems.

Sirius has rolled out their own system, Sirius Traffic, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that the US COMAND nav systems will be compatible or that the Sirius tuners in the W221s will be able to receive this traffic data. That's one downside to the satellite radio technology. New features and services are being introduced regularly by XM and Sirius but most of them require new hardware which isn't something easy to accomoodate on stock systems.

Jeff
Well hopefully Mercedes will update to this functionality for users who have Sirius Radio or for everyone who has navigation. Personally living in Washington DC, where the traffic is absolutely horrible. This feature is a must have. I'm considering leasing my LE anyway, so hopefully if I don't get the update by the time my lease is up I'll get a new vehicle that has it installed.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by akburton
Well hopefully Mercedes will update to this functionality for users who have Sirius Radio or for everyone who has navigation. Personally living in Washington DC, where the traffic is absolutely horrible. This feature is a must have. I'm considering leasing my LE anyway, so hopefully if I don't get the update by the time my lease is up I'll get a new vehicle that has it installed.
I think that feature will be a while in coming to MB...they are not trendsetters with electronics like the Japanese.

I drove in DC for over 20 years so I can feel your pain...:-) LV is getting that way but being retired I don't have to fight it every day.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I think that feature will be a while in coming to MB...they are not trendsetters with electronics like the Japanese.

I drove in DC for over 20 years so I can feel your pain...:-) LV is getting that way but being retired I don't have to fight it every day.
I know what you are saying about Benz and technology. But the traffic updates is a must. Shouldn't take that much of a modification to have it included. So hopefully when my lease is up and If I want another Benz they will have it.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:53 AM

2007 S550
Do you know how they use it for the headlights? Can't imagine how it would be of any use, even the most accurate Nav reading (civilian) can't possibly be accurate enough to know when to turn the headlights.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by delphipro
Do you know how they use it for the headlights? Can't imagine how it would be of any use, even the most accurate Nav reading (civilian) can't possibly be accurate enough to know when to turn the headlights.
The signal from the sat doesn't have to be super accurate. I believe they can estimate it quite well. Just like when you're driving on a feeder versus the highway itself the navigation (at least in my BMW and Lexus) can differentiate between what road.

I think it's called 'dead reckoning' ? I'm not exactly sure.

But anyways, for me traffice updates isn't a big deal. For me it's simple. 59N is always clear. Avoid 59S from 5PM to 7PM. If I need to go to the office and come back in between that time, take an alternative route a.k.a. off road

Much easier in the X5 than it was in the LS400 now
Old 03-23-2006, 02:59 AM

2007 S550
Even with dead reckoning (which I fully understand) you’re still not getting much more than within 10 feet of where you are, and a lot more elevation wise. I really can’t image why someone would take this method to aim the headlights. They already having steering wheel angle (used for the traction control system), I’m hard pressed to come up with a reason they would want to tie that to the Nav system.

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
The signal from the sat doesn't have to be super accurate. I believe they can estimate it quite well. Just like when you're driving on a feeder versus the highway itself the navigation (at least in my BMW and Lexus) can differentiate between what road.

I think it's called 'dead reckoning' ? I'm not exactly sure.

But anyways, for me traffice updates isn't a big deal. For me it's simple. 59N is always clear. Avoid 59S from 5PM to 7PM. If I need to go to the office and come back in between that time, take an alternative route a.k.a. off road

Much easier in the X5 than it was in the LS400 now
Old 03-23-2006, 04:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
How so?

M