S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

S550 in Autoweek - nice article

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 05:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by Mean-Benz
a good friend of mine once came to a mercedes dealership - in streetwear.
after some minutes of looking around he asked someone about an E220 CDI and got the answer, "The used vehicles are on the backyard."

Youch! I've always wanted to walk into a Benz dealer (once I became rich) in just jeans a t-shirt and sandals...clean, but just very plain looking and see what they'd say. Once they give me the brush off I'd buy one from another dealer and come back to show them how badly they messed up.

M
Old 04-24-2006, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mommy drives a '93 Opel Astra
Originally Posted by Germancar1
Youch! I've always wanted to walk into a Benz dealer (once I became rich) in just jeans a t-shirt and sandals...clean, but just very plain looking and see what they'd say. Once they give me the brush off I'd buy one from another dealer and come back to show them how badly they messed up.

M
well, now he drives an Audi A4.

In Germany we have nice sentence about that, "Kleider machen Leute." which translates like "clothes make people."
Old 04-24-2006, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Drop by Fletcher Jones in LV...I feel overdressed in jeans and a T shirt. The sales staff (in cool season) are in shirts and ties but in the summer are in polo shirts. The customers range from plain ratty looking to half naked at times and there isn't any shortage of attention to them...

My problem has always been the management level (or one or two sales staff) who walk around thinking they own the dealership and flatter you with their presence.

At Glauser I did not notice the clientel since I was deeply involved in my S550, but the staff was fantastic from the sales rep to the sales manager and even the detailer was a pleasure to deal with.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:40 AM

2004 S55
Originally Posted by Germancar1

M
My father had an experience like that at BMW when he bought his first sportscar (560 SL back around 1990 if I remember right). He was dressed very casually and was a bit dirty from coaching baseball little league practice on a Saturday. The BMW guys wouldn't give him the time of day but the guys at the MB dealership were a lot nicer. It had a long-term effect as my parents have owned 6 different MB vehicles and have never even looked at BMW since.

As for me, I always go dressed casually into any dealership as I am a stay at home dad. I'm also often unshaven. Of course, the attentive saleperson notices that I pulled up in an S55.

Jeff
Old 04-24-2006, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by rgbyhkr
My father had an experience like that at BMW when he bought his first sportscar (560 SL back around 1990 if I remember right). He was dressed very casually and was a bit dirty from coaching baseball little league practice on a Saturday. The BMW guys wouldn't give him the time of day but the guys at the MB dealership were a lot nicer. It had a long-term effect as my parents have owned 6 different MB vehicles and have never even looked at BMW since.

As for me, I always go dressed casually into any dealership as I am a stay at home dad. I'm also often unshaven. Of course, the attentive saleperson notices that I pulled up in an S55.

Jeff
first, the next best dealership in my area is so vast that no one sees what you got.

second, I've never seen sales staff at benz working in Polo shirts. to me it seems like they have no temperature sense. It was in 03 when Germany had unusually high temperatures of about 40°C (more than 100°F) during summer. On some day I went to that benz dealer to look at the new E wagon.
I just wanted to walk out, but stopped because a sales person pulled some black leather gloves over his hands while going out with a customer to show him his new ride. gloves at 40°C? come on, that's sick!
Old 04-24-2006, 04:29 PM
Almost a Member!

M3
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Drop by Fletcher Jones in LV...I feel overdressed in jeans and a T shirt. The sales staff (in cool season) are in shirts and ties but in the summer are in polo shirts. The customers range from plain ratty looking to half naked at times and there isn't any shortage of attention to them...

My problem has always been the management level (or one or two sales staff) who walk around thinking they own the dealership and flatter you with their presence.

At Glauser I did not notice the clientel since I was deeply involved in my S550, but the staff was fantastic from the sales rep to the sales manager and even the detailer was a pleasure to deal with.
Wow, I always knew Las Vegas was "different," but this confirms my suspicions.

It's pretty cool that they dress so casually, but some might take offense--especially those "older-money" folks who are buying the bigger sedans and expect to be pampered and worshipped for their $90,000 purchase. And, I can see where they are coming from: whether or not we like to admit it, clothes play a huge part in how we judge someone. Perhaps these older-money folks (note: not necessarily OLD! ) just can't get past that concept.

I'm not sure if anyone here watches the show Curb Your Enthusiasm on HBO, but if you do, you'll probably remember the episode where Larry's friend's dad (he's in his 80s, I think) goes to an estate lawyer who's dressed for "casual Friday." The man is mortally offended, curses the lawyer out, and vows never to come back. Of course, the lawyer, a newer-gen guy, is flabbergasted and just stands there. I really thought that scene, besides being just plain funny, is indicative of the attitudes of a lot of older folks (not saying you, Jack ), who make the argument that they are forking over hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars to the lawyer (or salesman, or whomever) for their services and products, and they expect that the lawyer will convey a traditional sense of professionalism. And, that tradition is in the clothing. Why do you think senators and other influential politicians still wear outdated black suits?
Old 04-24-2006, 06:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by ohnoes
Why do you think senators and other influential politicians still wear outdated black suits?
Because the suits are government issued?

Last edited by konigstiger; 07-01-2006 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by ohnoes
Wow, I always knew Las Vegas was "different," but this confirms my suspicions.

It's pretty cool that they dress so casually, but some might take offense--especially those "older-money" folks who are buying the bigger sedans and expect to be pampered and worshipped for their $90,000 purchase. And, I can see where they are coming from: whether or not we like to admit it, clothes play a huge part in how we judge someone. Perhaps these older-money folks (note: not necessarily OLD! ) just can't get past that concept.

I'm not sure if anyone here watches the show Curb Your Enthusiasm on HBO, but if you do, you'll probably remember the episode where Larry's friend's dad (he's in his 80s, I think) goes to an estate lawyer who's dressed for "casual Friday." The man is mortally offended, curses the lawyer out, and vows never to come back. Of course, the lawyer, a newer-gen guy, is flabbergasted and just stands there. I really thought that scene, besides being just plain funny, is indicative of the attitudes of a lot of older folks (not saying you, Jack ), who make the argument that they are forking over hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars to the lawyer (or salesman, or whomever) for their services and products, and they expect that the lawyer will convey a traditional sense of professionalism. And, that tradition is in the clothing. Why do you think senators and other influential politicians still wear outdated black suits?
Funny though...casual dress is so prevalent now that anything goes in most places. You go to a show in LV now and there are people in T shirts and shorts and designer jeans with holes and tears in them. I have seen people checking in at hotels and they don't have any luggage...a plastic bag and some stuff on hangers over their shoulders.

In FJ when I go there for service...it is the old money in jeans and 34" shorts on a 40" waist, tanktop, baseball cap on backwards and sandals. The culture has changed and most businesses have learned that money comes in all shapes and looks...:-)
Old 04-24-2006, 10:16 PM

'07 S550, '03 FXDWG
Originally Posted by Mean-Benz
gloves at 40°C? come on, that's sick!
*searches for C° to F° conversion chart*
Old 04-24-2006, 10:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JAdmiral
*searches for C° to F° conversion chart*
Only commies use the metric system
Old 04-25-2006, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Only commies use the metric system
are commies communists?

I have no idea about the conversion factor. sorry.

But just imagine if a billionaire would come to a benz dealership to buy an SLR with ready cash, but would be kicked out because he dressed too casual...

Last edited by Mean-Benz; 04-25-2006 at 08:48 AM.