S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Q for those with MC front/rear seat/ABC pkg

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Q for those with MC front/rear seat/ABC pkg

Hello, I'm doing some research on the new S550, I probably won't buy until winter comes, or when the 4-matic version rolls out, but I was wonering about some of the features in the car. First, exactly to what extent do the rear seat move? enought to "recline" to take a nap? Secondly, is the massage feature actually comfortable or just annoying? And thirdly, how is ABC? We have alot of bumps in our city, where the two slabs of asphalt run into each other and get push up. Does ABC help in those situation? I realize I can probably get these answered by taking a test drive but the only S550 at the show room is the ver basic model, no options. thanks for all the help.
kevin
Old 04-05-2006, 12:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would recommend test driving an S600 as this car has all of the options you are looking to evaluate. They should be in dealers in a couple of weeks. Then you can evaluate the massage seats, reclining seats and ABC. Opinions on these will be very subjective but I think mostly positive. I can speak for the massaging seats as the reaction I have gotten most has been extrememly positive.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The standard suspension rides very well. Try to test drive it on the roads you find most annoying.

I've never driven an ABC car, but isn't its main benefit reduced lean in corners?
Old 04-24-2006, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by kevine310
Hello, I'm doing some research on the new S550, I probably won't buy until winter comes, or when the 4-matic version rolls out, but I was wonering about some of the features in the car. First, exactly to what extent do the rear seat move? enought to "recline" to take a nap? Secondly, is the massage feature actually comfortable or just annoying? And thirdly, how is ABC? We have alot of bumps in our city, where the two slabs of asphalt run into each other and get push up. Does ABC help in those situation? I realize I can probably get these answered by taking a test drive but the only S550 at the show room is the ver basic model, no options. thanks for all the help.
kevin
I don't have the rear seat package but I do have the massaging seats and ABC. The massage feature really works. On the 12 hour drive from Denver to LV, I used it several times to reduce the tension in my back. The lower settings are hardly perceptable and the two higher settings definitely provide some good massage and relief. The Multicontour seats are a good option.

The ABC will soften those asphalt bulges. The brochure indicates it reduces the effects of roll, vibration, pitch, dive and squat. There are sensors that electronically control high pressure hydralulic cylinders at each wheel. There are no springs. The tech specs on GCF's indicate adjustments in milliseconds to correct the ride features to as smooth as possible. From my experience against the S430 airmatic, it is smoother and quieter. The road bumps are softer and do not sound as loud. In cornering at high speed in combination with the Dynamic seat adjustments, you feel almost enclosed by the seats and the car does not lean at all.

You can also raise the car to increase the ground clearance...I tried that and with the door open and one foot on the floor, you could feel the car rising.

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 04-24-2006 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2024 S580 | 2024 Escalade ESV Sport Plat | 2022 X5M Competition
kevin
I posted some pics of the rear seats in my S600 post. Maybe that will give you a little idea of how much it reclines. I would say it reclines about as much as a coach seat on an airplane. But, he lower cushion can also be tilted up, which makes it feel even more reclined. If you've seen the W220 rear seats recline, I would say it's about double that now.
The massage features also work very well. My only problem is that automatically shuts off after 10 mins. I would prefer it just stay on the whole time.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:25 PM

McLaren 570S, G12 BMW 750Li, GLE63s AMG Coupe
The massage seats are definitely worth the investment...but just as Nevada jack said the 2 lowest settings are barely noticeable...the 2 highest settings are very good though...it definitely stops any muscle tighyness and fatigue

As far as the rear reclining seats go...the do not recline flat, but do so enough that you can take a comfortable nap...it was standard equipment on the long wheelbase in my market (Australia) but i'm not sure i would pay extra for thet feature. I don't have ABC so can't comment on that...but I have heard very good reports about it
Old 04-25-2006, 03:43 PM

Hi there, thanks for all the help, I think ABC is a must, but i'm not sure if it'll be available on the 4matic versions.

I did see the pictures of the rear seat in the other poster's thread and it was A LOT more than the old S class. I really thought the old reclining seats were a joke, I could barely tell the difference.

I don't think I'll be choosing the message feature, not much traffic here up north.
thanks all
Old 04-25-2006, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Hi there, thanks for all the help, I think ABC is a must, but i'm not sure if it'll be available on the 4matic versions.

I did see the pictures of the rear seat in the other poster's thread and it was A LOT more than the old S class. I really thought the old reclining seats were a joke, I could barely tell the difference.

I don't think I'll be choosing the message feature, not much traffic here up north.
thanks all
The massage feature is only one part of the Multi-Contour Dynamic seats. The optional seats offer more adjustments and provide a better seating feel (this in comparison to my '06 S430 seats.) Also the Dynamic feature will inflate the side bolsters to hold you firmly when cornering and without ABC all the more important. Try an test drive one with the Multi-contour Dynamic seat options and compare against the standard seat.