S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Need Help. S550 vs. CLS55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help. S550 vs. CLS55

Okay, I need some quick advise. Tomorrow I will need to make a decision between a S550 that was ordered three months ago (has now arrived) and the CLS55.

Here's my situation. I currently drive a BMW 745Li and my lease is up. I saw the new S550 and thought it was the perfect replacement car. I ordered a Blk/Blk with AMG sport option (among other options).

I am surprised by the reaction I am getting on this decision. Everyone tells me (family and friends) that the S550 is too big of car and an older gentleman's car. I am a 45 year old business executive. I like nice things. However, I don't like being told that this car makes me look like I am driving my fathers car. I never got this with my BMW.

I went to the dealership today and drove the AMG CLS55. Wonderful car at about the same price point. ($97K) I realize these are two totally different cars. Sporty vs. luxury.

I need to make a decision between cars. I would like to get some opinions on the typical profile of a S550 owner. Is it true that the CLS55 would be more of a young business executive type car than the S550? It's not a bad thing having to make a decision between two beautiful cars. Any thoughts?

Last edited by rzundel; 04-30-2006 at 02:43 AM.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:13 AM

Yes they definitely are two different cars.

I love the interior of CLS, but a little bit cramped for me, I am 6'3".

S on the other hand is wow.
Space is perfect, well prepared well crafted car.
I don't own S or CLS, but visited the dealer to check them out.

For a business executive as you are, I would chose the S over the CLS.

FIts the profile much better
Old 04-30-2006, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Originally Posted by rzundel
Okay, I need some quick advise. Tomorrow I will need to make a decision between a S550 that was ordered three months ago (has now arrived) and the CLS55.

Here's my situation. I currently drive a BMW 745Li and my lease is up. I saw the new S550 and thought it was the perfect replacement car. I ordered a Blk/Blk with AMG sport option (among other options).

I am surprised by the reaction I am getting on this decision. Everyone tells me (family and friends) that the S550 is too big of car and an older gentleman's car. I am a 45 year old business executive. I like nice things. However, I don't like being told that this car makes me look like I am driving my fathers car. I never got this with my BMW.

I went to the dealership today and drove the AMG CLS55. Wonderful car at about the same price point. ($97K) I realize these are two totally different cars. Sporty or luxury.

I need to make a decision between cars. I would like to get some opinions on the typical profile of a S550 owner. Is it true that the CLS55 would be more of a young business executive type car than the S550? It's not a bad thing having to make a decision between two beautiful cars. Any thoughts?
First of all let me say this, your friends and others clearly are not worthy of a machine like the S550. I am barely 30 and I have purchased an S550 AMG Sport for my mother. I also own a CLS 55 AMG with 030 which would give the M5 a beating.

Now let me say this. The CLS55 is a car that is all about power and prestige of AMG name. It is luxurious while incredibly lightning fast. The S550 is in an entirely different league.

To me the S550 emdoies performance, luxury, and honor. I am also ordering an S550 as a replacement for our 750li and to be honest with you am looking forward to getting delivery later this year with all the trimmings. Having driven my mom's S550 extensively I can assure you that your decision is a great one. Her S550 gets far more looks and compliments than my CLS or E do.

The S is a work of art and shows the future of automotive technology for other car companies to copy. The bar has just been raised that much higher by Mercedes for its competitors. Even this new so called LS wont hold a candle to it. The S has far more rear room and will appeal to your clients and others who enjoy fine craftsmanship and luxury. The CLS while it is finely crafted is in no league like the new S.

I say stick with the S. It is a better decision and sure as hell one that you will not regret. I know I don't regret the decision one bit for my mother as she truly does enjoy all the little things in the car and neither will a business exec like you or I.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:22 AM

Smile

Why are you worried about what people think? Get the car that you like.
Your friends and family probably will not help you pay for the car. So get what you like. You have to drive it.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:45 PM

C240
I say drive what feels good. Young guy like yourself does seem appropriate driving a CLS rather S. Personally i wouldn't get S, regardless of the technological marvel that is, it still makes you look more older which basically translates into "not a fun guy"(whtever that means).
Old 04-30-2006, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i think that you should get the CLS if you want a fast car. i would personally get the S because, i feel, that it is a better buy and offers more creature comfort!
Old 04-30-2006, 11:50 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
Ride quality

I drive an S550 because it is comfortable for me and my passengers yet still handles itself quite capably. If you plan on carrying people around in your 4 door sedan, tha CLS won't be that practical. If you want something fast and stylish with the pretence of practicality, then the CLS55 is just the ticket.

Also, if you plan on a lot of highway travel, the S550 is amazing on the highway, the CLS55 will have more road noise (which you may like). If you spend a lot of time in cities, then driving something as large as the S550 will be more stressful than the smaller and more agile CLS55.

Last consideration- the S550 will be less expensive to lease and will hold its value better, meaning that if you do not like it, you can trade out of it more easily. Since the CLS55 is being replaced very soon by the CLS63, perhaps you can drive the S550 and find out if you can live with the image and if not, get the CLS63 later.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:46 PM

98 Ford Explorer Limited, 2007 S550 LE
I'm 27 and had the decision to either get the CLS55 or the S550 and I went with the S550 LE. The CLS is sportier and many people think it is a car that a person my age would drive and since statistics say most S class owners are white males around the age of 62. Which I am not either. The S class is everything the CLS is and much more. Big, fast, smooth, roomy and a real head turner. My neighbor has a white CLS55 and everytime I pullup, they stop looking at his car and starting drooling over mine. Plus with the new body style, no one can say anything to you for the rest of the summer through 2007!
Old 05-02-2006, 09:16 PM

S550 Vs. CLS decision update.

Thanks for everyone's help on my decision. The general feedback I received all led me to the same conclusion. Buy the car that I want and will enjoy driving for the next 3 years. Well....I ended up going a completely different direction. I got a new Porsche Carrera C4s Cab. Both the S550 and CLS55 are beautiful cars. I concluded that I was ultimately looking for "fun" car to drive. The S550 was too big and I was concerned that if I bought the CLS55 (a blast to drive!) that I would be bummed when the new CLS63 was delivered in the next few months. I couldn't wait for the CLS63 so I went forward with the Porsche option. All great except the $110K price tag.

Thanks again for all your advise. Believe it or not, you did have a big impact on my ultimate decision.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL
age of 45 is indeed a bit old for a porsche though
Old 05-03-2006, 02:51 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'08 CL600 with 152k km; '01 E430 4Matic with 428k km; '17 Porsche Cayenne with 103k km
Talking

I am surprised by the reaction I am getting on this decision. Everyone tells me (family and friends) that the S550 is too big of car and an older gentleman's car. I am a 45 year old business executive. I like nice things. However, I don't like being told that this car makes me look like I am driving my fathers car.
Throw on a set of NON-chrome Lowenhart's or Lorinser's, staggered in 20"...it won't look like a father's car then.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:59 AM

2001 Lorinser Edition CL600 (SOLD)
Originally Posted by DesiBaba
I say drive what feels good. Young guy like yourself does seem appropriate driving a CLS rather S. Personally i wouldn't get S, regardless of the technological marvel that is, it still makes you look more older which basically translates into "not a fun guy"(whtever that means).
While the CLS is a fun departure for MBZ, it's still based on the lesser elite E-class platform and in no way holds a candle to anything in the S-class realm. Throw some deep dish 20-22s, a modest body kit, lower it, and S-class will make a CLS look like a toy car. Even a stock S-class wreaks of the power image the CLS can't touch. So no way will the S make you look older; just more respected! While the CLS may look fun to some, it will NEVER command the presence on the road as the S-class beast will.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:43 AM

Good on you ! U finally bought what u like. It was not a case of picking between a Yugo and an S class.

U r picking cars that r in the same class and price range.

Some like this and some like that.

At the end of the day, u will be the one that drive
Old 05-04-2006, 12:16 PM

04 M3, 05 R1
45 isn't too young to be seen in an S class.. just get what u want.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Thanks for everyone's help on my decision. The general feedback I received all led me to the same conclusion. Buy the car that I want and will enjoy driving for the next 3 years. Well....I ended up going a completely different direction. I got a new Porsche Carrera C4s Cab. Both the S550 and CLS55 are beautiful cars. I concluded that I was ultimately looking for "fun" car to drive. The S550 was too big and I was concerned that if I bought the CLS55 (a blast to drive!) that I would be bummed when the new CLS63 was delivered in the next few months. I couldn't wait for the CLS63 so I went forward with the Porsche option. All great except the $110K price tag.

Thanks again for all your advise. Believe it or not, you did have a big impact on my ultimate decision.
Mid-life crisis appearing here...you should have bought the S550.

The Porsche love affair will fade and you will wish you had gotten that Black on Black S550 with the AMG Kit. I speak from experience at age 74...too young for a S550 AMG and too old for a Porsche...age is all relative. Enjoy the Porsche but everytime you look up at that S550 at the light you will be having second thoughts....:-)

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 05-04-2006 at 04:52 PM.