S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Television/DVDs? Apparently a reality...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 S550, '03 FXDWG
Television/DVDs? Apparently a reality...

Let me make a long story short...

WE CAN GET TV AND DVD ON OUR NAV SCREENS!!

Apparently they have two products: One is TV and video inputs (like for a DVD or game system), and the other is without the TV receiver.

According to Gary at www.nav-tv.com, it is available. He asked what city I was in, and then returned a couple local stores that can help me out.

One of the was an Al & Ed's Autosound.

Anyone ever use a nav-tv.com product?

...and no, I have no idea on price or cost of installation.

If this is reasonably priced, I'm in.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by JAdmiral

Apparently they have two products: One is TV and video inputs (like for a DVD or game system), and the other is without the TV receiver.

According to Gary at www.nav-tv.com, it is available. He asked what city I was in, and then returned a couple local stores that can help me out.

.............Yes I have used nav-tv's products before and have had no issues. They have local installers some of whom are MB dealerships that can install their products. This helps in the case of any issues, your installer is local and can correct the problem promptly.

Ted
Old 05-06-2006, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha

J...I just checked their site and there is no mention of the 2007 S Class setup. Have you discussed this in detail with nav-tv?
Old 05-06-2006, 09:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The quality of the nav-tv module is not as great as the oe tunner from mb. In the 220 the module simply converts the aux audio into audio and video input that has a signal override for a rearview camera activated in reverse. The quality is acceptable but the oe tunner gives a better picture quality. Cost for the module is a little over $400.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
J....Would you really let "Al and Ed Autosound" fool around inside the console of your new S550????
Old 05-06-2006, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by kenstudios
The quality of the nav-tv module is not as great as the oe tunner from mb. In the 220 the module simply converts the aux audio into audio and video input that has a signal override for a rearview camera activated in reverse. The quality is acceptable but the oe tunner gives a better picture quality. Cost for the module is a little over $400.
...........there is always some confusion about this. All the nav-tv module does is to enable your comand to show video while driving. The quality of the video depends on the video source. You can use the OEM TV tuner (which has two a/v inputs) with the nav-tv module which I did or you can use an adapter supplied by various vendors including nav-tv. With the adapter you can use your own tv tuner or any a/v source you choose. The quality of the video through the adapter is not as good as that through the oem tv tuner. This has nothing to do with nav-tv module.

..............yes, I'll be worried about having just anyone working on my brand new mercedes. Your job is to choose a shop you trust or find an MB dealer near you that installs nav-tv or use other vendors such as steve that has his own products and can come to you and make the installs. This topic receives a lot of attention the forum. The simple answer is that it can and has been done successfully by many with no issues, even in a brand new mercedes.

Ted
Old 05-06-2006, 04:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ted, I agree with you when you say the quality of video is as good as the source playing it. But the difference for every module you run that good quality video, the signal is lowered by some of resolutions as the video pass through it only to the limit that the module can accept. You can have a $10K HD tv but run analog video, you will never get that hd output until you get the hd compatible tuner. Yes you will see video but it will not be projected at the high resolution the tv is meant to read. Nav-tv module projects the image up to 480 lines of resolution so if you run a dvd player through RCA cables your 480 lines is reduced to maybe 300 which is lower than what your command can read. If you run the dvd player using RGB cables then you get almost 1000 lines of resolution.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by kenstudios
Ted, I agree with you when you say the quality of video is as good as the source playing it. But the difference for every module you run that good quality video, the signal is lowered by some of resolutions as the video pass through it only to the limit that the module can accept. You can have a $10K HD tv but run analog video, you will never get that hd output until you get the hd compatible tuner. Yes you will see video but it will not be projected at the high resolution the tv is meant to read. Nav-tv module projects the image up to 480 lines of resolution so if you run a dvd player through RCA cables your 480 lines is reduced to maybe 300 which is lower than what your command can read. If you run the dvd player using RGB cables then you get almost 1000 lines of resolution.
...............I think you are still confusing the "module" with the a/v adapter. The module simply tricks the comand into thinking that you are stationary when you are actually moving and allows the comand to display video while you are moving. This way you don't need star diagnosis program to activate TV. Think of the module as you will the Star diagnosis program. There is no video passing through the "module." The video passes through the "a/v adapter" or the a/v input jacks of the oem TV tuner. Both of adapter and the oem Tv tuner are separate units and have nothing to do with the module. You can use Nav-tv's adapter if you like or you can purchase similar adapters from other vendors such as steve or Megacomm.de

Ted

Ted
Old 05-06-2006, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified

Ha .... it is a low end hack and not a true optical ring solution. After spending so much money on your car I can only that your previous car must have been a Nissan.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
The 2007 has some small and simple AUX audio and AUX video adapters from Mercedes parts list. Maybe you need the Euro version !
Old 05-07-2006, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
...........getting video in motion in any Mb is no longer a big deal. It used to be a big deal 6 years ago when I purchased parts from Neil Brooks of Braybrooks.co.uk and had probably the first oem Tv tuner in the USA. Back then we used the old star program to activate TV functionalty in the Euro Comand I purchased from Neil in the UK. Now, the that function of the star program has been deactivated and all these so called modules simply do what the old star program used to do. A Euro Comand is no longer neccessary. I still have the CLK from 6 years ago with the TV still working. I do not sell my cars. I have since used various modules including NAV-TV module in conjunction with OEM MB TV tuner in an addtional 3 other benzes. Absolutely no difference in video quality between the nav-tv module and the activation by star. And you wouldn't expect a difference because simply activate TV function but do not have any video passing through them.

.........the whole video in motion thing is a hot market. There are vendors who want to sell you their own version of video in motion by bashing products of other competitors and refferring to them as hacks. Bottom line is video in motion in your Mb is no longer a big deal. It is now a buyers market. Before you had had to kneel and prey and beg a vendor honor you with his/her presence and install video in motion for you. Nowadays, there are many vendors that can provide this service. Whether your old car was a Nissan or an Aston Martin, video in motion in your mercedes is no longer a big deal. You can either go get it done if it is something you wish to do, or spend time on the forum getting scared off by vendors pushing you to their own products.
Ted

Last edited by Ted Baldwin; 05-07-2006 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:30 PM

'07 S550, '03 FXDWG
Originally Posted by benzmodz
Ha .... it is a low end hack and not a true optical ring solution. After spending so much money on your car I can only that your previous car must have been a Nissan.
Well Benzmodz, considering your handle, and the fact that you know nothing about you, you're awfully brash in your "accusations" (owning a Nissan--bah!). While I won't bother defending my choice of previous cars or motoring upbringing, I will say that I find your comment surprising considering your love for modifications to vehicles.

Hmm.. let me think. What would be the two most popular "mods" a car owner makes these days? I would say (in no particular order) wheels and audio/video.

I'll be on the lookout for your mods on your vehicles, with appropriate comment.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Well Benzmodz, considering your handle, and the fact that you know nothing about you, you're awfully brash in your "accusations" (owning a Nissan--bah!). While I won't bother defending my choice of previous cars or motoring upbringing, I will say that I find your comment surprising considering your love for modifications to vehicles.

Hmm.. let me think. What would be the two most popular "mods" a car owner makes these days? I would say (in no particular order) wheels and audio/video.

I'll be on the lookout for your mods on your vehicles, with appropriate comment.

............wouldn't loose sleep over Benzmodz if I were you. The guy sells Euro Comands from Australia and spends a lot of time going from forum to forum bashing anyone that chooses a different alternative.

Ted
Old 05-07-2006, 08:50 PM

'07 S550, '03 FXDWG
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
............wouldn't loose sleep over Benzmodz if I were you. The guy sells Euro Comands from Australia and spends a lot of time going from forum to forum bashing anyone that chooses a different alternative.

Ted
Thanks for the heads-up. And slumber is one of those few things I'll compromise on anyway...