S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

iPod integration kit arrives: confirmed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 ML350
No audio cue, unfortuately. Only visual. When you hold it down for 5 seconds and keep it down it will jump A, B, C, D...every second or so.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:17 PM

2004 S55
Originally Posted by toolboxjesse
No audio cue, unfortuately. Only visual. When you hold it down for 5 seconds and keep it down it will jump A, B, C, D...every second or so.
Thanks Jesse. The cue would certainly have been useful but the alphabetical scroll is still welcomed.

Jeff
Old 07-26-2006, 11:37 PM

Bentley Continental GT 2004
Originally Posted by toolboxjesse
You have made an interesting observation.

I immediately jumped into my car and tried it. Indeed it jumps up and down the list, but I am afraid that it does not appear to jump to the start of the next alphabet.

Instead, I suspect it jumps a certain number of entries, which if I am motivated enough I could probably discover by noting the behaviour when holding down the arrows and then comparing this with the entire alphabetised list of the iPod contents. Also it is difficult to control precisely as pressing it a tad too long makes it jump twice (you can actually see the first jump then the second jump).

Your trick certainly helps if one is locating a particular artist one knows one wants to listen to, but unfortunately if one is browsing with a view of choosing something one feels like listening to, it is difficult to beat using the COMAND and the changer loaded with MP3 dvds.

Anyway the more tricks at ones disposal the better, so thanks for yours.

Last edited by hcwong; 07-26-2006 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by rgbyhkr
By the way hcwong, you mentioned the issue of trying to navigate a long song/artist/album list with the iPod kit using the steering wheel's up/down arrows. I was wondering about something related to that. If you hold down the up/down arrow on the steering wheel, will the system continue to scroll up/down through the list or is it limited to one button press to move one space? Thanks.
Jeff
We have now discovered, as discussed above, what happens when we hold down the up/down arrows, but I have also since discovered that if one presses the arrow keys 'x' times in quick succession, it will jump 'x' artist down the list but this takes a few moments to happen. It would appear that the data pertaining to this input and the subsequent result takes a little time to travel back and forth.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:04 AM

I brought along a burned DVD with MP3s that I had been using in my W220 and also an SD card with a PCMCIA adapter. The latter was a no go as the SD card was one I use in my Treo 700w and, as such, had many more files than just the 2 folders of MP3s I put on there to play with. The system showed a message saying something about the files not being MP3s. No big deal.Jeff
There was some discussion about using flash cards with a PCMCIA adapter a while back but it since died out because nobody seemed to be able to figure out how to make the thing work.

I was initially curious about whether JPEG capability might be available so I slotted in a card with some pictures. I got the message 'file format not recognized'.

Tried again with MP3 files, figuring the system ought to recognize them right? Same 'file format not recognized' message.

By then I came to regard it as a personal challenge to see why I could not get it to work. I did a clean reformat of the card, and loaded in just 1 MP3 song. When I got 'file format not recognized' again, I lost interest.

Has anyone had any luck with using the PCMCIA slot since the last discussion died?

Last edited by hcwong; 07-27-2006 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
If anyone needs an IPOD Kit PM me. I will discount it to $350 with free shipping.

Thanks,
Old 07-27-2006, 10:47 AM

2004 S55
Originally Posted by hcwong
There was some discussion about using flash cards with a PCMCIA adapter a while back but it since died out because nobody seemed to be able to figure out how to make the thing work.

I was initially curious about whether JPEG capability might be available so I slotted in a card with some pictures. I got the message 'file format not recognized'.

Tried again with MP3 files, figuring the system ought to recognize them right? Same 'file format not recognized' message.

By then I came to regard it as a personal challenge to see why I could not get it to work. I did a clean reformat of the card, and loaded in just 1 MP3 song. When I got 'file format not recognized' again, I lost interest.

Has anyone had any luck with using the PCMCIA slot since the last discussion died?

That's very curious. In the 221 manual under "Permissible File Systems", it mentions "FAT16 or FAT32 for PCMCIA cards with storage medium". I checked the format of the card I had tried and it was Fat32. Also, the manual says:

"Permissible bit and sampling rates
- Fixed and variable bit rates up to
320 kbit/s
- Sampling rates of 24 kHz – 48 kHz

Only use MP3 tracks with a bit rate of at
least 128 kbit/s and a sampling rate of at least
44.1 kHz. Smaller rates can cause a noticeable
deterioration in sound quality. This is especially
the case if you have activated a surround sound
function."

My MP3 tracks were all 192, so they should have been ok. Of course, there were lots of other file types on that card in the root directory, so I figured that was the problem. When I go back to test a DL DVD, I'll also try the memory card again and maybe even bring along my OQO and a card reader to make changes to the card on the fly.

Jeff
Old 07-27-2006, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
That's very curious. In the 221 manual under "Permissible File Systems", it mentions "FAT16 or FAT32 for PCMCIA cards with storage medium". I checked the format of the card I had tried and it was Fat32. Also, the manual says:

"Permissible bit and sampling rates
- Fixed and variable bit rates up to
320 kbit/s
- Sampling rates of 24 kHz – 48 kHz

Only use MP3 tracks with a bit rate of at
least 128 kbit/s and a sampling rate of at least
44.1 kHz. Smaller rates can cause a noticeable
deterioration in sound quality. This is especially
the case if you have activated a surround sound
function."

My MP3 tracks were all 192, so they should have been ok. Of course, there were lots of other file types on that card in the root directory, so I figured that was the problem. When I go back to test a DL DVD, I'll also try the memory card again and maybe even bring along my OQO and a card reader to make changes to the card on the fly.

Jeff
I just took a 128MB CF card and placed in my reader/writer, highlighted 10 songs in iTunes playlist, dragged them to the reader icon and it transferred them to the card. Put the card in an adapter, put it in the slot and it plays great. FAT16, mp3, sample rate 44.100 kHz, bit rate 160. Showed song and playtime on COMAND and song title on dash display.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I just took a 128MB CF card and placed in my reader/writer, highlighted 10 songs in iTunes playlist, dragged them to the reader icon and it transferred them to the card. Put the card in an adapter, put it in the slot and it plays great. FAT16, mp3, sample rate 44.100 kHz, bit rate 160. Showed song and playtime on COMAND and song title on dash display.
Knowing Jack has got it working by doing pretty much the same thing I did is most frustrating to me as being able to drag songs into a flash card and playing them with song info showing on the COMAND screen is very handy since I am always acquiring new music which I want to listen to in the car but prefer not to move the MP3 dvds which inhabit the changer and constitute my permanent incar music library.

I will try some more and report if I have any luck. Anyone else had any other experience with using the PCMCIA slot?

By the way Jack, I ultimately went for the 19" multispoke wheels (R47) with Pirelli PZero Rosso tyres. No problems with ride comfort which is distinctly firmer but still very compliant. I'll try to post some pics together with the Continental GT as I got some new wheels for that too!
Old 07-27-2006, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by JonMBZ
If anyone needs an IPOD Kit PM me. I will discount it to $350 with free shipping.

Thanks,
Dare I speculate that the discussion so far has put you off it a bit?

Last edited by hcwong; 07-28-2006 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by hcwong
Knowing Jack has got it working by doing pretty much the same thing I did is most frustrating to me as being able to drag songs into a flash card and playing them with song info showing on the COMAND screen is very handy since I am always acquiring new music which I want to listen to in the car but prefer not to move the MP3 dvds which inhabit the changer and constitute my permanent incar music library.

I will try some more and report if I have any luck. Anyone else had any other experience with using the PCMCIA slot?

By the way Jack, I ultimately went for the 19" multispoke wheels (R47) with Pirelli PZero Rosso tyres. No problems with ride comfort which is distinctly firmer but still very compliant. I'll try to post some pics together with the Continental GT as I got some new wheels for that too!
I used a clean CF card hc...nothing but the format FAT16 info on the card.

I am familiar with the R47 wheel...nice! What is the profile of hte PZero tires...I have 35 on the front and the rear I think and the ride is very smooth. Recommended psi is 35 all around for the stock Conti Contact2's.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by MrMBenz1
Does the ipod dock inside the car, or is there simply a cord installed inside the glove box? any pics of the system in action would be greatly appreciated!
As can be seen the iPod connects rather crudely to a cable sprouting from the glove compartment. The picture is of a right hand drive car obviously. The Mercedes star logo on the iPod display is kind of cute.

Another picture shows the MFD display while using the iPod. Song title, artiste and album are displayed.
Attached Thumbnails iPod integration kit arrives: confirmed!-p1010070.jpg   iPod integration kit arrives: confirmed!-p1010072.jpg   iPod integration kit arrives: confirmed!-p1010097.jpg  
Old 08-07-2006, 08:38 PM

The result you're seeing on the COMAND screen may look like traditional ID3 tag info, but it's really more like an abbreviated replication (true ID3 tag info has many more fields and is completely contained as data within the song file itself). My guess is that since the system can't assume that all discs will be burned with a folder structure that contains artist and album names, they are only passing the file name along to the MFD.

I hope that helps.

Jeff
That helps a lot, thanks!

Thought you might like to see what the COMAND screen looks like and what info is displayed when I play a MP3 dvd:
Attached Thumbnails iPod integration kit arrives: confirmed!-p1010094.jpg