S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

w221 S500 high speed handling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
McLaren 570S, G12 BMW 750Li, GLE63s AMG Coupe
w221 S500 high speed handling

Hello everyone,

Just wondering what has been the maximum speed that other owners have taken their cars to, and what your impressions of the handling/stability/braking were?

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:07 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by dr.skp.ortho
Hello everyone,

Just wondering what has been the maximum speed that other owners have taken their cars to, and what your impressions of the handling/stability/braking were?

Thanks.
I have been to 75mph.... break in period, i dont wanna kill anything.
Breaking seems fine.

Suspension with ABC is so amazingly soft - yet stable in bends and twists. Its really really great!!!Smooth as it could be.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
S550/S500 top speed is 130 mph I believe.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:30 AM

Mommy drives a '93 Opel Astra
Originally Posted by AsianML
S550/S500 top speed is 130 mph I believe.
Top speed is 130 mph for all stock Mercedes (except AMG) in North America. (The devil knows why...?!)

For the rest of the world, it's 155 mph.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by Mean-Benz
Top speed is 130 mph for all stock Mercedes (except AMG) in North America. (The devil knows why...?!)

Might have to do with the fact that AMGs have performance tires that are able to go up to speeds of 155 mph.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:03 PM

McLaren 570S, G12 BMW 750Li, GLE63s AMG Coupe
anyone know what the s500/s550 top speed is if there was no limiter????....285kW of power.....i have a feeling it would be sonsiderably higher than the limited top speed of 155mph/250kmh
Old 08-07-2006, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Hello everyone,

Thanks.
Have taken it to about 95mph on open interstate...solid as a rock and tracks straight without the hands on the wheel (hands not too far away ...:-)

75-80 into marked 40mph curves and holds like it was glued to the road..with ABC no roll or sway and anchored into the seats by the dynamic action of the side bolsters. Love it....
Old 08-07-2006, 02:11 PM

Mercedes
Allways wondering about your speedlimits. Even a granny drives faster than 75mph here in Germany. What is the reason to buy an AMG Mercedes with 500hp or even more if you aren't allowed to push the pedal to the metal? Mercedes should offer an S230...
Old 08-07-2006, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
anyone know what the s500/s550 top speed is if there was no limiter????....285kW of power.....i have a feeling it would be sonsiderably higher than the limited top speed of 155mph/250kmh
I'm willing to bet the S550/500 (same motor?) will touch 170 completely unlimited. Of course, you will need A LOT of highway as the car will climb very very slowly at that speed. I have seen a picture a while back of a CL500 W215 holding at 160 (speedo ends, but the car was probably faster than that).
Old 08-07-2006, 03:51 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by newton22
I'm willing to bet the S550/500 (same motor?) will touch 170 completely unlimited. Of course, you will need A LOT of highway as the car will climb very very slowly at that speed. I have seen a picture a while back of a CL500 W215 holding at 160 (speedo ends, but the car was probably faster than that).
I think then the 170mph limit would be accurate because the W215 has 302bhp where as teh W221 has 388bhp
Old 08-07-2006, 04:06 PM

Mercedes
Originally Posted by Chucky300
I think then the 170mph limit would be accurate because the W215 has 302bhp where as teh W221 has 388bhp
It's no problem to reach 155mph. Even my older S500 (326hp) reached its topspeed on a regular autobahn.

Have a look at this unlimited old E55 (380hp):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9hxjdor37g
Old 08-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by easydesign
It's no problem to reach 155mph. Even my older S500 (326hp) reached its topspeed on a regular autobahn.

Have a look at this unlimited old E55 (380hp):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9hxjdor37g
That's an amazing vid. Looks like he's nearing redline, and in 5th gear!! Better watch it.

He's also taping the vid at those speeds.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:43 PM
JLP

06 E-55-95-F355S- 99 Porsche 911 C2 w mods
Originally Posted by Mean-Benz

Unless you order the 030 AMG Performance package........on the SL55 v-max is 186mph- SLK55 v-max is 177mph and the CLS55 is 183mph. On the 2007 models the E63 has also been added to the 030 roster, keep in mind that these speeds are also electronically limited.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:05 PM

07' S550
Originally Posted by newton22
I'd hate to see what the gas milage is at those speeds. Would be fun though.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:25 PM

'07 S550, '03 FXDWG
I've had mine to 120mph... doesn't feel scary at all, which IS a scary thought! Could have kept the needle climbing, but I like low auto insurance rates.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:54 PM

Mercedes
Originally Posted by JAdmiral
I've had mine to 120mph... doesn't feel scary at all, which IS a scary thought! Could have kept the needle climbing, but I like low auto insurance rates.
Scary...funny. Even an 1981 500SE doesn't feel scary at 130mph...
Old 08-14-2006, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey J...are these two of Nevada's finest waiting for you to try the 130mph on one of your speed trips to this state...I thought I heard them mention your name...LOL

Old 08-14-2006, 04:26 PM
Banned

F248 F1
Originally Posted by easydesign
Scary...funny. Even an 1981 500SE doesn't feel scary at 130mph...
If you were talking about my car, it's a 1980 !

Here's the proof of Daimler-Benz at 150, and how smooth it is. ( I have a shaky hand so exclude that!)

The S-klass are great cars.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1lNx5DpuFX8

Oh I almost forgot. Even my older benz' can break VERY good from 160- 20mph. And do a hard swerve from far left lane to 3 lanes to the right, without hesitation at 140mph. Some maniac was chassing me on my way to SFO, and i had to swerve very hard at those speeds, and apply the breaks SEVERAL times. The car held up the like a champ.

Last edited by egxpimp; 08-14-2006 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:36 PM

'07 S550, '03 FXDWG
Talking

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Hey J...are these two of Nevada's finest waiting for you to try the 130mph on one of your speed trips to this state...I thought I heard them mention your name...LOL
You know, NJ, it's so damn funny you should mention that. I was leaving The Palms hotel for So.Cal on June 6th. I had the car for just a couple weeks. Here I am, southbound on I-15 enjoying the drive, Just a little past Baker if I recall, when just on the other side of overpass was one of CALIFORNIA'S finest.

Oh please God, don't start to pull out. DON'T start to pull out!!

He pulled out.

Oh please God, let him pass me. LET HIM PASS ME!!

He pulled right behind me. And the lights wen't on.

**FRICK!!** (this is a PG-rated board)

He gets my license and proof of insurance (registration was still taped to the windshield). Insists he clocked me at 105! While not admitting ANY speed, I insisted I wasn't going anything near that speed. I continue to smile, and plead for a break. Meanwhile, I'm cursing in my mind. He goes back to his unit without answering my plead.

After coming back to my car (probably from checking for warrants), he says he's going to give me a break and only write me up for "double digits". Considering the moment, he then proceeds to ask me an unusual question: "Where are you on your way to?". As it turns out, I work for an insurance company, and said I was on my way to a conference (I was-- even pointed to my company-embroidered shirt I had on). He then made a comment about how I must REALLY know how important it is to insurance rates not to speed. I agreed knowingly, then pled again for a break and that I would watch my speed from now on.

He says, "Why should I give you a break? You guys don't give ME one!"

I saw my moment.

I then said, "Well, TODAY'S your lucky day!... " and I went on to describe how my company gives a hefty discount to peace officers on their auto insurance, and that REGARDLESS OF WHETHER HE GIVES ME A TICKET OR NOT, I will give him my card and he can call me or any agent with my company for a no-obligation quote.

-pause-

"Aww, c'mon officer, today is 6-6-06... don't be the AntiChrist!!" (yes, I actually said that). Can you give me a break?

He hangs his head, as if to say 'I can't believe I'm about to do what I'm about to do'.

He says, "Well, I'm going to go ahead and let you go with just a warning... (did my ears just deceive me?) ...but you'd BETTER keep your speed down from here on out, or I won't be so kind!".

Oh, YES SIR! THANK YOU, SIR! Have a nice day, sir!

NJ and gentlemen, that was the first ticket I have talked my way out of in over 20 years!

And I have no idea whether he ever called for a quote!

Old 08-15-2006, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You know, NJ, it's so damn funny you should mention that. I was leaving The Palms hotel for So.Cal on June 6th. I had the car for just a couple weeks. Here I am, southbound on I-15 enjoying the drive, Just a little past Baker if I recall, when just on the other side of overpass was one of CALIFORNIA'S finest.

He pulled out.

He gets my license and proof of insurance (registration was still taped to the windshield). Insists he clocked me at 105! While not admitting ANY speed, I insisted I wasn't going anything near that speed. I continue to smile, and plead for a break. Meanwhile, I'm cursing in my mind. He goes back to his unit without answering my plead.

After coming back to my car (probably from checking for warrants), he says he's going to give me a break and only write me up for "double digits". Considering the moment, he then proceeds to ask me an unusual question: "Where are you on your way to?". As it turns out, I work for an insurance company, and said I was on my way to a conference (I was-- even pointed to my company-embroidered shirt I had on). He then made a comment about how I must REALLY know how important it is to insurance rates not to speed. I agreed knowingly, then pled again for a break and that I would watch my speed from now on.

I saw my moment.

I then said, "Well, TODAY'S your lucky day!... " and I went on to describe how my company gives a hefty discount to peace officers on their auto insurance, and that REGARDLESS OF WHETHER HE GIVES ME A TICKET OR NOT, I will give him my card and he can call me or any agent with my company for a no-obligation quote.

-pause-

"Aww, c'mon officer, today is 6-6-06... don't be the AntiChrist!!" (yes, I actually said that). Can you give me a break?

He hangs his head, as if to say 'I can't believe I'm about to do what I'm about to do'.

He says, "Well, I'm going to go ahead and let you go with just a warning... (did my ears just deceive me?) ...but you'd BETTER keep your speed down from here on out, or I won't be so kind!".

NJ and gentlemen, that was the first ticket I have talked my way out of in over 20 years!

You had better hope he got a good deal on his policy..if not there will be an APB out for that S550 all over the state....:-) Great story J...
Old 08-15-2006, 12:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63

He pulled out.

I saw my moment.

-pause-