S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Bluetooth blues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 s550
Question Bluetooth blues

I'm the fortunate owner of a new '07 S550 and I love the car but the car doesn't appear to like cellphones!

I'm in a catch-22 situation whereby, as a result of the extensive IR coating used on the glass surfaces, the signal strength on a cell phone in the car is weak at best. The US bluetooth module doesn't help as it has limited functionality with my phone (Nokia 8800 on the Cingular network) and does not make use of the car's external antennae. I read that the European version of the bluetooth module supports my phone directly with the added benefit of SAP (SIM Access Profile) whereby the bluetooth connection is made directly to the SIM card and a the car's external antennae is used, thereby solving the IR protection issue. After installing the said Euro bluetooth module, I get a prefect connection between the phone, bluetooth module and COMAND system (address book is accessible as well as SMS text messages, etc) however absolutely NO signal whatsoever (message on COMAND reads "No Service". I check the display on my phone which indicates that the Remote SIM function is active, but again NO signal bars whatsoever . Has anyone else experienced (and, hopefully, resolved) this issue?

My friends in Europe tell me the same system works perfectly over there and I have a sneaky suspicion that the Tele-Aid system may be interfering or worse, that MB USA have disabled some functionality in the external antennae, but I'm no expert. Any advice/suggestions will be gratefully received as I'm now the owner of 2 bluetooth modules and no working solution! Thanks in advance.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:10 PM

Harley-Davidson
I read in one of the threads on this forum that the European version of the bluetooth module will not work with North American phones. Search around in the audio and electronics section and you should be able to find lots of information.

Nevada Jack uses a second phone mounted in a cradle in his S550, and just leaves it there all the time. He has lots of posts, and is a good source of S550 information.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:03 PM

2007 s550
Many thanks for that info. The Nokia phone I'm using is not the North American version (its a UK model) so I was kinda hopeful that a "Euro" phone with the "Euro" bluetooth module would work, particularly as my phone is specifically mentioned in the accompanying documentation as being one of those which this module is supposed to support.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:01 AM

Harley-Davidson
So are you in the USA or somewhere else?
Old 08-26-2006, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by Ken23
My friends in Europe tell me the same system works perfectly over there and I have a sneaky suspicion that the Tele-Aid system may be interfering or worse, that MB USA have disabled some functionality in the external antennae, but I'm no expert. Any advice/suggestions will be gratefully received as I'm now the owner of 2 bluetooth modules and no working solution! Thanks in advance.
I am no expert on the phone install and don't use the BT option. I found it convenient to add a phone to my account and leave the one in the car plugged in full time.

My car did not have the phone installed when received and I had it done by the dealer when parts were available. The SA called me later in the day and indicated that they had to order a part to complete the install which was not included in the kit. When I checked further, I fould the part was a "splitter" and was required to allow the phone to be shared with TeleAid's use of the external antenna...something about priority use of the two systems? So maybe your suspicion is valid and it does relate to the external antenna situation.

Sorry I cannot be more specific but at least maybe it is a lead to consult with the dealer or other source.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:41 AM

2007 s550
Thanks for that insight Nevada Jack. Another forum member (MagicO309D) very kindly provided the explanation as to why the setup I was attempting will not work and I reproduce it here below for the benefit of others:

Originally Posted by MagicO309D
I'm assuming you are using one of the new MB UHI Bluetooth Modules with SAP in the US? If so, you will not be able to use the SAP profile, only normal BT hands-free profile. The issue is that these new devices are dual band and only compatible with the two European network frequencies. (It can't transmit on the US 850 and 1900MHz bands). A quad-band or US dual band unit will not happen anytime soon in the US because neither T-Mobile or Cingular are interested in supporting SAP yet so no business case.

If you want great reception and full hands-free integration from you phone, switch to one of the wired cradles. There's one available for the Nokia 6230 and it's part number is B67875849.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:42 AM

2007 s550
Originally Posted by cyclerider
So are you in the USA or somewhere else?
I'm in the USA (Tampa, FL)
Old 08-30-2006, 05:16 PM

2008 S550 4MATIC
Like Nevada Jack, I have a 2nd phone plugged into a cradle. However, I also have a bluetooth module if I want to use my Sprint Treo 700P (they pop in and out easily). Lots of limitations with the bluetooth module, though. None with the cradle.