S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Audi A8L W12 Vs MB S600...Some Observations.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 VW Jetta GLX VR6
Originally Posted by carsinamerica
LOL, I don't know about that. I took my car cross-country and loved how easy the car made the trip (it's just a Camry), and my friend came to respect even more since his has gone cross-country twice and blown up twice.

I'm sure an S-Class would be more comfortable, mind you, I'm just saying that any good car should be worth driving cross-country with, and I never felt short on space or the need for a conversion van or SUV, and I managed to pull 25-30 mpg the whole way with a bike rack and about 100 pounds of supplies, which is a nice bonus. AND got to stop at the Salt Flats and go triple-digit speeds, which was a hoot-and-a-half for me.

Back on topic: I'm sorry, AsianML, but you think the Audi A8 W12 is more understated than the S-Class? It's got a grille that looks like a 19th-century locomotive with a cow-catcher. Actually, it's more a giant sea bass: I'm going to gulp you up, yum yum yum. I liked the A8 D3 when it came out, and it was understated them, but then came the grille-from-hell so that Audi's flagship should scream "THIS IS AN AUDI! SEE THE GIANT GRILLE? IT'S AN AUDI AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT. BEWARE!" And now, the sea bass look is spreading through their lineup, and it's now all A8's, not just the W12, that have it. Now, obviously, it's not the ugliest front end I've ever seen, because I've seen an Infiniti QX56, but understated would be the last thing I'd call it.
I realize that there are many cars that can go cross country without 'blown up', the point I was making was that there are cars that can go cross country and then there are those who make you want to do it again just because of the drive. I love my car but I would not want to go cross country in it....same goes for a camry (although they do have a soft ride for a 20k car). I would need a car that is comfortable (the massaging seats don't hurt), rides well, and has plenty of highway power. Stats such as the MPG do not influence my opinion bc I was referring to comfort and how pleasant the trip would be. If MPG were the case I guess a prius would be the best bet. On a side note I am in fact jealous that you were able to go cross country and take pictures of our great country, that is something I have on a long list of things to do.

I agree that the grill on the front of the A8 is gross. I don't like how the outside chrome piece extends from the front of the hood down to the front spoiler and the plastic between the two grilles that lay inside this section. I think they got it right with the back end, esp the W12 with the pipes integrated in nicely. It is very smooth and sophisticaed.

Nevada, I wish my car would stay clean more often as it seems yours always is. I wash mine frequently but I live in Buffalo with a black car :/... I just spent a whole day high speed buffing and then waxing it though and the paint looks like glass. Your pictures are very high quality, hope you don't mind but they look great as the background on my powerbook
Old 10-29-2006, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
RE: reliability.... Has MBZ switched their electronics subcontractors/suppliers or did they just hold thier feet to the torch? I am still a little ways away from buying a newer benz but this is reassuring for those of us who are diehard fans of the 3point, it's aboot time.

My dad bought an 05 allroad about a year ago now, and I don't think he has had any problems, knock on wood. Being a benz fanatic it was a struggle to let him buy that car but it is a fine machine, and audi interiors are fantastic, not to mention it had a great warranty program.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
MBZ has stepped up its electronics greatly over the past years. Many parts and electronic systems are now being designed in house (like they were in the past) and Bosch and its suppliers have also been put on watch by DCX.

Our W221 S's has been the most reliable cars we have ever owned. Not a single problem with any of integrated electrical and computer systems.

In fact, my dealer has stated that the new S class along with the redesigned E, new ML, and R have been relatively trouble free. I would not hesitate about buying another MBZ ever again after they fessed up and said we screwed up in the past.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:59 PM

2001 VW Jetta GLX VR6
Since we are comparing flagship 12 cylinder sedans, does anyone have any input on the 760? I have not driven one (or any of the 12 cyl saloons ) but I was just wondering how it matched up. I know it is low on the hp (438) and the torque (444) but I was wondering if anyone had any input. When I was younger I used to always consider BMW the leader of the pack in performance and MB the leader in luxury. It seems that MB now holds both titles.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
The 760's engine is by far one of the smoothest V12's ever made in NA form. Very linear hp and torque curves, its still got plenty of power to fly.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
I wouldn't say the 760 V12 motor is low on power.

In fact, for a reliable 12 cylinder naturally aspirated motor, it makes a very respectable amount of smooth fluid power. The bread and butter of the MB M275 V12 is the BiTurbo setup. If the motor was N/A, the BMW would overpower it. I give credit to BMW for seriously improving their V12 over the years. The one in the older 750 was underpowered in comparison to anything MB had in the 90's. But, since MB utilized forced induction, we are still on top.

As for the A8 W12, the key advantage I see is the AWD system. That car would easily maintain a stable 100 mph in rain.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:56 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 S600, 2007 Lexus RX400h, 2006 RR Phantom (wife's car), 2006 Corvette Z51

The last 760Li I owned was the 2004 model (Above). It was not a very good car. It had adequate power but was "slushy" on start. I had many smaller cars dust my doors until it would get wound up. The Nav system was the worst I have ever seen. It defaulted to state and county roads. Who knows what all those are? The hydraulic hose in the trunk lifter burst twice. My car smelled like hydraulic fluid every time the car would get hot. Many, many recalls...some of them serious. But here is the worst part. When I was trying to trade it for another BMW (a stupid thing to do), I was told that there would be a $15k deduction for my car because it had been repainted. I knew that was untrue. But after raising h--- with the Sales manager I was told that it had a 5" scratch at the port of entry. (Charleston SC) and was repaired at the BMW factory. I was never told about this and how would I know? But it was in the BMW computer history of the car and was used as an excuse to rip me off. I did not trade. Got the Audi W12 instead. IMHO the S600 is the best of the group...and certainly is the fastest.

Last edited by Buffer; 10-31-2006 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:10 PM

2001 VW Jetta GLX VR6
Originally Posted by Buffer

The last 760Li I owned was the 2004 model (Above). It was not a very good car. It had adequate power but was "slushy" on start. I had many smaller cars dust my doors until it would get wound up. The Nav system was the worst I have ever seen. It defaulted to state and county roads. Who knows what all those are? The hydraulic hose in the trunk lifter burst twice. My car smelled like hydraulic fluid every time the car would get hot. Many, many recalls...some of them serious. But here is the worst part. When I was trying to trade it for another BMW (a stupid thing to do), I was told that there would be a $15k deduction for my car because it had been repainted. I knew that was untrue. But after raising h--- with the Sales manager I was told that it had a 5" scratch at the port of entry. (Charleston SC) and was repaired at the MBW factory. I was never told about this and how would I know? It was used as an excuse to rip me off. I did not trade. Got the Audi W12 instead. IMHO the S600 is the best of the group...and certainly is the fastest.

Thanks for the info on the 12cylinder uber saloons. I was wondering how I would be able to compile what one person said about one car and then make that relevant to what someone said about one of the others. Since you owned all three it means we can hear from the same perspective and you have first hand exp. with each of them. I work at a Land Rover dealership (detail-to pay for my Biomedical science degree), and I know that there is some fishy dealings with what the dealer has to disclose with regards to damage at port and pre-dealerhip. Luckily we never see damage but I would assume it happens. Do all 7 series come with a front plate bracket?? Since you live in FLA that seems odd :/
Old 10-30-2006, 11:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
LS430 to Dallas -- hated the damn car.
I commute an hour a day, I hate it, it makes me fall asleep.
But when I turn the temperature lower, it's so nice -- too smooth of a ride. It's like riding on air. You decide if that's a good thing or a bad.

X5 gone way too many places long distance, great drive, sucks when you have uneven road though. Super planted at high speeds (140mph+).

R230 SL has 2 batteries.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:19 AM
Almost a Member!

2007 S600, 2007 Lexus RX400h, 2006 RR Phantom (wife's car), 2006 Corvette Z51
Your question, "Do all 7 series come with a front plate bracket?? Since you live in FLA that seems odd." I'm not sure. I don't see very many on the road. Perhaps my car was destined for somewhere else. I'll try to pay closer attention and get an answer for you.

Last edited by Buffer; 10-31-2006 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1993 300SEL/S320
I love the new 221, I have yet to see one on teh roads here yet but I'm sure I will soon, I drive my W140 from one end of NZ to the other twice a year and it's so good. the W221 is a car that I think will stand the test of time where the w220 will not.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL600, A8L W12, Continental GT, Range Rover SC
Thought I’d revive this thread because I recently replaced my 01 S500 with an 07 A8L W12 (I’m still in the Mercedes fold with an SL600). While I can’t compare with the new S Class, I can with the earlier model.

I switched to Audi partly because of some reliability problems with the S500 but mainly because my service experience with the Mercedes dealer closest to me was consistently horrible. There is another dealer north of Boston (Smith Motors in Haverhill MA) with a much better service department, but taking my cars there requires an inconveniently long drive. My other rationalization for switching was the combination of a 12 cylinder engine and four wheel drive for winter commuting.

Relative to the description of the 06 Audi at the beginning of this thread, my 07 W12 has a couple good enhancements: 1) a fabulous optional Bang and Olufsen stereo system with iPod integration and 2) a rear view camera and parking system.

The Audi is larger than the old S500 and feels larger on the road, partly because of the reduced visibility inherent in cars with the modern high-beltline style. The ride is very well balanced between plush and sporty. Most strikingly, the W12 is the quietest car I’ve driven, a quality that mates very well with the superb stereo.

The straight line performance of the W12 is adequate, but nothing to write home about. But then I’m a bit jaded because it’s hard to keep the traction light off on my Renntech SL600. The Bentley is quicker too.

I hated the design of the new S-Class when I first saw it, after loving the sleek and elegant design of its predecessor. I thought the Audi looked great overall, although with doubts about the fish mouth grille. With the passage of time I’ve come to like the new S Class look much more, particularly from the front and side: so much so that I would probably choose differently today if it weren’t for the dealer service issue. I still think the trunk and rear of the Audi looks better than the S trunk, which looks tacked on.

I love TeutonicCarFan’s comment “I liked the A8 D3 when it came out, and it was understated them, but then came the grille-from-hell so that Audi's flagship should scream "THIS IS AN AUDI! SEE THE GIANT GRILLE? IT'S AN AUDI AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT. BEWARE!” I agree the Audi is NOT understated, particularly since the W12 has star-shaped LED daytime running lights as well as the big grille.

I paid up for the full leather add-on, which they should offer standard on the W12. The interior is beautiful, but not really more so than the Designo silver treatment of my old S500.

One downside of the Audi is that it’s actually a more expensive car than the S600 once you take into account its very high rate of depreciation.

With 3k miles on the clock so far, there have been no flaws or problems whatever with the W12. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

Overall I’m satisfied with my W12 – it’s a really good car – but I’m sure the S600 is at least as good. I’d be more biased if the engine sported the Bentley’s twin turbos.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by sillydriver
Thought I’d revive this thread because I recently replaced my 01 S500 with an 07 A8L W12 (I’m still in the Mercedes fold with an SL600). While I can’t compare with the new S Class, I can with the earlier model.

I switched to Audi partly because of some reliability problems with the S500 but mainly because my service experience with the Mercedes dealer closest to me was consistently horrible. There is another dealer north of Boston (Smith Motors in Haverhill MA) with a much better service department, but taking my cars there requires an inconveniently long drive. My other rationalization for switching was the combination of a 12 cylinder engine and four wheel drive for winter commuting.

Relative to the description of the 06 Audi at the beginning of this thread, my 07 W12 has a couple good enhancements: 1) a fabulous optional Bang and Olufsen stereo system with iPod integration and 2) a rear view camera and parking system.

The Audi is larger than the old S500 and feels larger on the road, partly because of the reduced visibility inherent in cars with the modern high-beltline style. The ride is very well balanced between plush and sporty. Most strikingly, the W12 is the quietest car I’ve driven, a quality that mates very well with the superb stereo.

The straight line performance of the W12 is adequate, but nothing to write home about. But then I’m a bit jaded because it’s hard to keep the traction light off on my Renntech SL600. The Bentley is quicker too.

I hated the design of the new S-Class when I first saw it, after loving the sleek and elegant design of its predecessor. I thought the Audi looked great overall, although with doubts about the fish mouth grille. With the passage of time I’ve come to like the new S Class look much more, particularly from the front and side: so much so that I would probably choose differently today if it weren’t for the dealer service issue. I still think the trunk and rear of the Audi looks better than the S trunk, which looks tacked on.

I love TeutonicCarFan’s comment “I liked the A8 D3 when it came out, and it was understated them, but then came the grille-from-hell so that Audi's flagship should scream "THIS IS AN AUDI! SEE THE GIANT GRILLE? IT'S AN AUDI AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT. BEWARE!” I agree the Audi is NOT understated, particularly since the W12 has star-shaped LED daytime running lights as well as the big grille.

I paid up for the full leather add-on, which they should offer standard on the W12. The interior is beautiful, but not really more so than the Designo silver treatment of my old S500.

One downside of the Audi is that it’s actually a more expensive car than the S600 once you take into account its very high rate of depreciation.

With 3k miles on the clock so far, there have been no flaws or problems whatever with the W12. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

Overall I’m satisfied with my W12 – it’s a really good car – but I’m sure the S600 is at least as good. I’d be more biased if the engine sported the Bentley’s twin turbos.
What year is your SL600 and how do you like the Renntech mod? I sold my Renntech SL600 recently and replaced it with a S550. My Renn SL600 was a torque monster.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:03 PM

2004. I use it for summer commuting and still love it.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
sillydriver,
I'm guessing you are talking about flagship motors or chambers in somerville for the lousy service... I have found that chambers has improved slightly since I started using them back in 2001.

I can still remember seeing your SL600 fly by me on the tobin bridge, haha.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
1) a fabulous optional Bang and Olufsen stereo system with iPod integration
Congratulations on the new car!! I am so jealous of the B&O sound system. I have had the opportunity to hear this system twice, once this week at the car show in NYC--I convinced an Audi employee to open the S8 which was fitted with this

No words can fully explain the B&O sound system, I would tell anyone to hear it in person if the opportunity presents itself. The new S-Class seems to be doing quite well, but I would love to see them offer an even better sound system in the future. Lexus has Mark Levinson, and Audi has the B&O, Mercedes could use something better than the harmon/kardon. It's not that the harmon/kardon is bad at all, but it would be great to see an ultra premium system as an option in these cars.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by pmb600
No words can fully explain the B&O sound system, I would tell anyone to hear it in person if the opportunity presents itself. The new S-Class seems to be doing quite well, but I would love to see them offer an even better sound system in the future. It's not that the harmon/kardon is bad at all, but it would be great to see an ultra premium system as an option in these cars.
While I feel the S Class has a great sounds system - those that appreciate these things (Music, sound, etc) can always find better. Almost like saying "u can never be too rich" -------- "u can never have too good of a sound system"

Actually - at one point, didnt the SClass have a premium sound package? or is that only in BMW 7 series with their Logic 7. Too bad the rest of the bmw 7 series isnt "Logical"
Old 04-15-2007, 11:40 AM

2007 S
Levinson and Harman are pretty much one and the same company. Levinson is one of a myriad of Harman brands. I think when they licensed the brand out there they made a mistake in terms of the audio world, but its about chasing dollars.

In real terms, most of these are not truly really engineered by these firms but just a licensing/royalty scenario. Yes, some work is done and it is a step above a premium system - but its mostly about licensing the brand so that the consumer believes the system is a 'branded' unit. The drivers or components in any of these automobile 'Levinson' systems are so far from the quality of their main line systems its laughable. .

What really works for good mobile audio is to have a full range reproduction. A lot of systems (due to restrictions in placement, etc) lack the ability to reproduce an adequate midrange and thats the big problem. Any factory system is a compromise but unfortunately these systems are now so tied in with other functions of the car, its becoming quite difficult or impossible to supplement, modify or even replace without affecting other systems.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by anthem
In real terms, most of these are not truly really engineered by these firms but just a licensing/royalty scenario. Yes, some work is done and it is a step above a premium system - but its mostly about licensing the brand so that the consumer believes the system is a 'branded' unit.
Same in the fashion industry - You know - all the sunglasses everyone buys? Whether its Gucci, Prada, Armani, Versace - you think its an inhouse thing when you buy them, but in fact, its ALL a licensing scenario. All are made by the same manufacturer with little or no imput from the design house bearing the name. Quality is still high - production is out of Italy - design still falls along the lines of the designer.

Same probably with cars.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Chucky300
Same in the fashion industry - You know - all the sunglasses everyone buys? Whether its Gucci, Prada, Armani, Versace - you think its an inhouse thing when you buy them, but in fact, its ALL a licensing scenario. All are made by the same manufacturer with little or no imput from the design house bearing the name. Quality is still high - production is out of Italy - design still falls along the lines of the designer.

Same probably with cars.
Right, there are only two main sunglass manufacturers: Saffilo and Luxotica.

The 2007 S-Class does have harmon/kardon logic 7 sound, and I have heard it--it sounds very good. The Mark Levinson system in the Lexus is kind of bs, becuase they only charge about $1000 more for it (not sure of the exact number), whereas a real Mark Levison home system could cost you tens of thousands of dollars. The B&O system I beleive is the best, they charge $6300 extra for it, which makes it seem like its more engineered for that specific car--or the high cost could just be so that people think they are getting a real B&O system. I think that the incredible sound quality is proof alone however that the system is worth its extra cost.

Last edited by pmb600; 04-15-2007 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:29 PM

06 612 Scaglietti
Originally Posted by TeutonicCarFan
Thanks for the info on the 12cylinder uber saloons. I was wondering how I would be able to compile what one person said about one car and then make that relevant to what someone said about one of the others. Since you owned all three it means we can hear from the same perspective and you have first hand exp. with each of them. I work at a Land Rover dealership (detail-to pay for my Biomedical science degree), and I know that there is some fishy dealings with what the dealer has to disclose with regards to damage at port and pre-dealerhip. Luckily we never see damage but I would assume it happens. Do all 7 series come with a front plate bracket?? Since you live in FLA that seems odd :/
Yes, every 7-series BMW comes with front plates. It was designed with the bumper.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Almost a Member!

bentley flying spur
Originally Posted by Buffer

The last 760Li I owned was the 2004 model (Above). It was not a very good car. It had adequate power but was "slushy" on start. I had many smaller cars dust my doors until it would get wound up. The Nav system was the worst I have ever seen. It defaulted to state and county roads. Who knows what all those are? The hydraulic hose in the trunk lifter burst twice. My car smelled like hydraulic fluid every time the car would get hot. Many, many recalls...some of them serious. But here is the worst part. When I was trying to trade it for another BMW (a stupid thing to do), I was told that there would be a $15k deduction for my car because it had been repainted. I knew that was untrue. But after raising h--- with the Sales manager I was told that it had a 5" scratch at the port of entry. (Charleston SC) and was repaired at the BMW factory. I was never told about this and how would I know? But it was in the BMW computer history of the car and was used as an excuse to rip me off. I did not trade. Got the Audi W12 instead. IMHO the S600 is the best of the group...and certainly is the fastest.
HAVE YOU DRIVEN A BENTLEY FLYING SPUR? HOW WOULD THE W12 TWIN TURBO COMPARE TO THE OTHER V12 ON THE MARKET IN TERMS OF POWER AND TORQUE DELIVERY?
Old 04-17-2007, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Kar don
sillydriver,
I'm guessing you are talking about flagship motors or chambers in somerville for the lousy service... I have found that chambers has improved slightly since I started using them back in 2001.

I can still remember seeing your SL600 fly by me on the tobin bridge, haha.
Just before I traded my S500, the active body control malfunctioned on my commute home and a big red warning came on the screen telling me to stop the car. Flagship was just ahead up Route 1, so I was forced to stop there even though I promised myself I’d only go to Smith. A couple days later they had identified and fixed the problem, so for a moment I thought their service had improved. However, when I got to the office after picking up the car I realized the doors wouldn’t lock and the trunk wouldn’t unlock. Strangely, pressing the lock button on the key would arm the alarm but not lock the door: pulling on the handle would open the door, setting off the alarm.

So I wasted more time taking the car back to Flagship. When it was ready a day later they sheepishly explained that the tech had earlier put the car into some strange software test mode and forgot to set it back to normal.

Idiocy reconfirmed.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by pmb600
Right, there are only two main sunglass manufacturers: Saffilo and Luxotica.

The 2007 S-Class does have harmon/kardon logic 7 sound, and I have heard it--it sounds very good. The Mark Levinson system in the Lexus is kind of bs, becuase they only charge about $1000 more for it (not sure of the exact number), whereas a real Mark Levison home system could cost you tens of thousands of dollars. The B&O system I beleive is the best, they charge $6300 extra for it, which makes it seem like its more engineered for that specific car--or the high cost could just be so that people think they are getting a real B&O system. I think that the incredible sound quality is proof alone however that the system is worth its extra cost.
The key feature of the B&O sound system is a pair of “acoustic lens” tweeters that rise out of the top of the dash board on electric motors when you start the car. They direct a flat, fan-shaped beam of sound directly toward the driver and front passenger. The benefit is that the flat beam means there are no reflections off of the roof or other parts of the car before the sound reaches your ears. The result is an extremely crisp sound: I'm not a huge audiophile, but it’s pretty much the best sounding stereo of any kind I’ve ever heard.

The Audi stereo is genuinely B&O. I was in a B&O boutique last Christmas buying my wife a cellphone and mentioned the salesman that I had the Audi system on order. He explained that the Audi acoustic lens tweeter was the same as on the high-end B&O floor-standing speakers and showed them to me in the demo room. They sounded great too.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
The key feature of the B&O sound system is a pair of “acoustic lens” tweeters that rise out of the top of the dash board on electric motors when you start the car. They direct a flat, fan-shaped beam of sound directly toward the driver and front passenger. The benefit is that the flat beam means there are no reflections off of the roof or other parts of the car before the sound reaches your ears. The result is an extremely crisp sound: I'm not a huge audiophile, but it’s pretty much the best sounding stereo of any kind I’ve ever heard.

The Audi stereo is genuinely B&O. I was in a B&O boutique last Christmas buying my wife a cellphone and mentioned the salesman that I had the Audi system on order. He explained that the Audi acoustic lens tweeter was the same as on the high-end B&O floor-standing speakers and showed them to me in the demo room. They sounded great too.
Yup, you are exactly right. The acoustic lens technology first debuted on their BeoLab 5 speakers. A set of those will set you back $19,000.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Audi A8L W12 Vs MB S600...Some Observations.