S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Audi A8L W12 Vs MB S600...Some Observations.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 04:29 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S600, 2007 Lexus RX400h, 2006 RR Phantom (wife's car), 2006 Corvette Z51
Audi A8L W12 Vs MB S600...Some Observations.

Some observations: 2006 Audi A8L W12 vs 2007 MB S600

I posted most of this on the Audi Forum but there may also be some interest here.

I drone the W12 Audi for a year, then traded for the S600. Have driven the S600 for only a week but have spent a lot of time in the car and know it pretty well. What follows is only my opinion...nothing more. Keep in mind that I'm comparing an 06 model Audi to an 07 MB and lots of things happen in 1 model year.

The W12 interior looks better. Seat piping and rich paneling beat the S600. The W12 has a DVD system in the rear with screens in the back of the head rests. S600 does not. Outside styling is toss-up to me. I'm learning to like the S600 better. Never was that enamored with the W12.

I like the W12 Bose sound system better than the S600 600 watt Harman Kardon.

Ride comfort...pretty much a toss-up. When "Comfort" position is selected in the S600, the ride is extremely smooth...near Rolls Royce quality. In that mode the car starts out in 2nd gear. Not to worry, there is plenty of power. And if there is need you can push down and it will go into 1st and pin you back in your seat.

Quietness is about the same. Perhaps the W12 is a little quieter on acceleration...but not at cruising speed. They are both quiet.

Transmission is much better in S600...silky smooth. It only has 5 speeds. MB doesn't feel their 12 cylinder models need more than that. I assumed that my cruising rpm would be higher. No so, 65mph equals 1700 rpm. My W12 wanted to get into 6th gear as soon as possible. As a result, when accelerating from a moderate speed (55 mph) meant downshift...even with slight accelerator pressure. The S600 doesn't do that. With 510hp and 612 lb/ft. of torque from 1800 rpm, it will leap forward without downshifting. I like that.

The S600 obviously has more power than the W12. And it is very noticeable. Car & Driver puts it this way. "The S600 blasts to 60 mph in 4.2 seconds. Know what that means? To 60 mph, this 2.5-ton Teuton is quicker than:
1. A Porsche 911 Carrera S.
2. A Chevrolet Corvette convertible.
3. A Ferrari 612 Scaglietti F1."
The power is smooth and there is absolutely NO turbo lag.

Command selection is more intuitive in S600. It's similar to MMI and easy to use.

Night vision and backup cameras in the S600 are excellent...the W12 has neither. Night vision does not use the Nav screen. It is projected over the speedometer. The Speedometer is converted to a bar graph at bottom. Sounds awkward but it's not.

Nav system is better in S600. Screen is much larger and will swivel in either direction.

The W12 is smooth, powerful and loaded with features...don't know that anyone would consistently use them all. But the S600 has even more. There are 7 pages of voice commands listed in the owners manual.

W12 presented me with multiple problems (issues for you younger guys) from the start. My delivery had to be postponed for a day. The MMI would not function...just blank screen. The DVD Nav disk would not load. They worked on it most of the night and much of the next day. I threatened to cancel the deal...which I wish I had done. They had to cannibalize an XM sat receiver from another A-8. Then I was confronted with numerous squeaks and rattles. They removed the dash and door panels and filled them with foam and velcro tape...took several trips to fix that. There were many constant irritants during the year I had it. But worst was the transmission hard downshift. I identified this to the dealer on the second day. After checking with Audi they told me that I needed to drive it for 1,000 miles. That didn't fix anything. Eventually Audi changed some components but it never worked right. Audi drug their feet all the way...always an excuse why they couldn't repair the transmission. In contrast, I can not find one single thing wrong with the S600. In perusing some of the MB forums, I find this is not uncommon. The new S550 and S600 owners seem to be quite happy. It is a contrast from the Audi forum where dissatisfaction is rampant.

Both cars are good ...if they function properly. My W12 did not. So far my S600 does.

Last edited by Buffer; 10-26-2006 at 04:49 AM.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Interesting observations, thanks.

Yes for the first time in a few years Mercedes has seemed to pull off a glitch-free launch of a new model. I almost can't believe it. Wouldn't it be something if the S-Class and Lexus LS tie for reliability honors next year when the surveys come out!!!! Compared to other new launches in recent years like the new GL, R and ML the S is like a Lexus when it comes to reliability.

M
Old 10-26-2006, 08:33 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by Germancar1
Interesting observations, thanks.

Yes for the first time in a few years Mercedes has seemed to pull off a glitch-free launch of a new model. I almost can't believe it. Wouldn't it be something if the S-Class and Lexus LS tie for reliability honors next year when the surveys come out!!!! Compared to other new launches in recent years like the new GL, R and ML the S is like a Lexus when it comes to reliability.

M
I agree. Im really happy. When I say Happy, its almost like I should be saying, im RELIEVED. I was so worried that this car was going to be like my last. My parents put their warnings out there, i was not allowed to complain to anyone except my service advisor if something should foul up with this launch model year mercedes.
4000 miles now - and nothing. NOTHING. To be honest, I believe the merger between Daimler Benz and Chrysler screwed everything up. Chrysler cars were absolute rubbish and the warranty payments that MB had to honor after the merger drained them of their cash reserves, thus forcing them to release models that were not perfected. Now that things are better with Chrysler, and with the success of the 300 series, MB has the resources to bring the parent brand back to legendary quality. When i first slammed my door shut, It reminded me of my friends 1989 300SEL. The weirdest thing though, the 1989 STILL sounded more vault like when that door shut hard. it was a total "LOCK ME FROM THE OUTSIDE WORLD" feeling. and from the outside, it was like, "NOTHING IS GETTING IN THIS CAR" .... the metal also felt harder in the 1989. maybe because it has less amounts of hard steel.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:06 AM

2001 VW Jetta GLX VR6
I feel that MB also took their time with this one...making sure to get it right because they know the controversy that surrounds their cars. I know someone with (I think it was an '01, but it was the body style before w221) a S600 and they had more problems with that car than they could belive. Their problems were relating mostly to electronics and suspension issues. The fact that this car is designed using the experience from the old car means they perhaps solved all the electronic issues that were new half a deecade ago.

Glad to hear the S600 is treating you well IMO it is more a piece of artwork than a machine
Old 10-26-2006, 11:08 AM

2001 VW Jetta GLX VR6
I feel that MB also took their time with this one...making sure to get it right because they know the controversy that surrounds their cars. I know someone with (I think it was an '01, but it was the body style before w221) a S600 and they had more problems with that car than they could belive. Their problems were relating mostly to electronics and suspension issues. The fact that this car is designed using the experience from the old car means they perhaps solved all the electronic issues that were new half a deecade ago.

Glad to hear the S600 is treating you well IMO it is more a piece of artwork than a machine
Old 10-26-2006, 11:10 AM

2001 VW Jetta GLX VR6

Old 10-26-2006, 11:13 AM

2001 VW Jetta GLX VR6
REALLY SORRY about the 3x reply but it seems when I go to post it takes forever so I just it the post button again. I don't know why this is because I have cable internet and a fairly new Powerbook....hmmm
Old 10-26-2006, 12:39 PM
Almost a Member!

You can

click on edit and delete the extras if you want. Thanks for your response.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Whats amazing is that the S has more new technology that is far more complex, yet its amazing easy to use and reliable. We havent had a single problem on the S600 or S550. Just the normal oil changes and basic care that goes with any car.

Dealers must love this car since they rarely see them in the service bay for problematic issues.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:59 PM

CLK500 2003, S 600 Model 2007
Now after 5 weeks of driving my S 600 I had absolutly no problem. I tried all the functions and none failure. The next 5 days I will drive the car some 1.000 miles to Germany (Autobahn) and report later on what happen when driving > 120 miles/hour..
Old 10-26-2006, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Pure Perfection...

Almost 9000 miles and 7 months and not a hint of any kind of trouble. The car performed brilliantly on my 5000+ miles cross country trip and even the gas mileage was a pleasant surprise. Just a great automobile...

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 10-26-2006 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
I like the W12 interior better than the S interior as well. Exterior, maybe the W12 a little more. It's a little more understated than the S600, which is a good thing for me.

Seems like whatever you said, I agree on so far.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Heard from my SA at the dealer today that the 221 has been incredibly trouble free.
So why is my CL55 tied up for 5 days???
Old 10-26-2006, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DFW01E55
Heard from my SA at the dealer today that the 221 has been incredibly trouble free.
So why is my CL55 tied up for 5 days???
I guess because your CL isn't a 221...but a 220?
Old 10-27-2006, 01:33 AM

2001 VW Jetta GLX VR6
I agree that the W12 interior is nicer than the S, IMO. I like the traditional setup with the shifter on the floor and how the console goes down the center where that is located. Plus you can get that auburn interior color that is a mix between brown and dark orange that is just delicious.

The fact that Navada was able to do a cross country trip in his S and it made him love his car even more does speak volumes for the interior comfort. I would only attempt such a feat in a Range Rover (bc IMO the most luxurious SUV) or a conversion van (those things have plasmas nowadays). Navada, if you have any pictures of the S with trees around it or any non desert background I would love to see them.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by TeutonicCarFan
The fact that Navada was able to do a cross country trip in his S and it made him love his car even more does speak volumes for the interior comfort. I would only attempt such a feat in a Range Rover (bc IMO the most luxurious SUV) or a conversion van (those things have plasmas nowadays). Navada, if you have any pictures of the S with trees around it or any non desert background I would love to see them.
LOL, I don't know about that. I took my car cross-country and loved how easy the car made the trip (it's just a Camry), and my friend came to respect even more since his has gone cross-country twice and blown up twice.

I'm sure an S-Class would be more comfortable, mind you, I'm just saying that any good car should be worth driving cross-country with, and I never felt short on space or the need for a conversion van or SUV, and I managed to pull 25-30 mpg the whole way with a bike rack and about 100 pounds of supplies, which is a nice bonus. AND got to stop at the Salt Flats and go triple-digit speeds, which was a hoot-and-a-half for me.

Back on topic: I'm sorry, AsianML, but you think the Audi A8 W12 is more understated than the S-Class? It's got a grille that looks like a 19th-century locomotive with a cow-catcher. Actually, it's more a giant sea bass: I'm going to gulp you up, yum yum yum. I liked the A8 D3 when it came out, and it was understated them, but then came the grille-from-hell so that Audi's flagship should scream "THIS IS AN AUDI! SEE THE GIANT GRILLE? IT'S AN AUDI AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT. BEWARE!" And now, the sea bass look is spreading through their lineup, and it's now all A8's, not just the W12, that have it. Now, obviously, it's not the ugliest front end I've ever seen, because I've seen an Infiniti QX56, but understated would be the last thing I'd call it.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Damn we get 28 mpg in our S550 with highway driving. Your camry isnt so fuel friendly.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Damn we get 28 mpg in our S550 with highway driving. Your camry isnt so fuel friendly.
It gets 34 mpg on the highway at home. But not when it's loaded with 2 people, photographic equipment, snacks, reading material, camping gear, and most importantly, a bike rack attached the exterior that ruins the CoD. In the city in winter, I get about 28-29 mpg, which is bad as I've seen in it (aside from with the bike rack).
Old 10-27-2006, 06:40 AM

i only liked the last previous bigger models from Audi...the newer body style look too blunt. and the TT,s allright, but way too pricey for what it does IMHO. theyr cars are still better than most out there tho
Old 10-27-2006, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by carsinamerica

Back on topic: I'm sorry, AsianML, but you think the Audi A8 W12 is more understated than the S-Class? It's got a grille that looks like a 19th-century locomotive with a cow-catcher. Actually, it's more a giant sea bass: I'm going to gulp you up, yum yum yum. I liked the A8 D3 when it came out, and it was understated them, but then came the grille-from-hell so that Audi's flagship should scream "THIS IS AN AUDI! SEE THE GIANT GRILLE? IT'S AN AUDI AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT. BEWARE!" And now, the sea bass look is spreading through their lineup, and it's now all A8's, not just the W12, that have it. Now, obviously, it's not the ugliest front end I've ever seen, because I've seen an Infiniti QX56, but understated would be the last thing I'd call it.
WOW...we finally agree... I could not agree more on the Audi grille! I have posted on the GCZ everytime Audi comes out with a new model (which is almost weekly lately) about the UGLY grille. Your description is perfect...I called it the fanciest License Plate Holder ever conceived.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TeutonicCarFan
Navada, if you have any pictures of the S with trees around it or any non desert background I would love to see them.
Here are two...you can check my websites below and there are additional ones posted there.

Old 10-27-2006, 09:43 AM
Almost a Member!

Smile That's a

Beautiful car Jack. Wish I had one like it

Do you have two batteries? I posted this question earlier and got an answer but not specifically about the S550?
Old 10-27-2006, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Buffer
Beautiful car Jack. Wish I had one like it

Do you have two batteries? I posted this question earlier and got an answer but not specifically about the S550?
This mbworld server is really bad...could not access this morning and waiting for posts takes forever. I don't know what their problem is but I hope they get if fixed.

Yes there are two batteries...see pg 634 of the manual and it explains their use and maintenance requirements. The larger one is in the trunk and the smaller one under the hood.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Yes there are two batteries...see pg 634 of the manual and it explains their use and maintenance requirements. The larger one is in the trunk and the smaller one under the hood.
It's becoming a more common feature, I think, as car electronics get more complicated; and besides, you don't want to have to reprogram an iDrive or COMAND system from scratch when you change the battery.

I know the Phaeton had twin batteries, anybody know of any others?
Old 10-27-2006, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
W211 E class, CLS, W221 S, I think the ML has 2 batteries as well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Audi A8L W12 Vs MB S600...Some Observations.