S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Newbie help with finalizing order (AMG pack)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
my premium leather description is from MBUSA.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by NeverColdCall
See now my dealer explained that the premium leather is standard leather that's gone through repeated chemical treatments to soften it, resulting in weaker leather that doesn't last and gets "butt shine".
I think "your dealer" needs a factory tour...
Old 12-11-2006, 08:49 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S550
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I think "your dealer" needs a factory tour...
Already been many times, this dude is their top salesman for 9 years and before that he was the #1 Jaguar salesman in the *world* ... pretty amazing!!

Seriously, the leather comes down to personal preference, the cost on the premium option is practically a non-issue. I like sturdy over soft just like I prefer the sport setting over comfort, even in my previous W220 which rode like a 'Vette in sport w/ the AMG wheels. And I really can't stand "butt shine" and won't even think about risking it again.

Last edited by NeverColdCall; 12-11-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:04 PM

2008 S65 Flint Grey/Black. Wife's car: 1/5/10 2010 E550 Palladium Silver/Natural Beige Leather P2 +
I just took delivery of my S550 two weeks ago. I also pick the Androrite Grey.

Options:

P2
Pano
Electronic Truck Closer (A must)
AMG
Rear Seat Package

A few shots of my toys with the newest one being the S550. The others are a 2001TT EVO 640GT and F430 F1. Got the Pcar in 2001 and built it up over time and got the Fcar a year ago this month. All fun to drive. Wife drives a Audi
Q7 3.6 Premium Sline. Takes care of the kids and their friends.
Attached Thumbnails Newbie help with finalizing order (AMG pack)-p1010016-small-.jpg   Newbie help with finalizing order (AMG pack)-08073813-small-.jpg   Newbie help with finalizing order (AMG pack)-08074146-small-.jpg   Newbie help with finalizing order (AMG pack)-08074329-small-.jpg   Newbie help with finalizing order (AMG pack)-08074541-8-small-.jpg  

Old 12-11-2006, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Autobahn-Maniac

Options:

P2
Pano
AMG
Rear Seat Package

A few shots of my toys with the newest one being the S550. The others are a 2001TT EVO 640GT and F430 F1. Got the Pcar in 2001 and built it up over time and got the Fcar a year ago this month. All fun to drive. Wife drives a Audi

Let me be the first to say that if you're ever in the market for a 35 year old son, pls give me a call!!!!

I'm obviously not as cute as a the typical newborn/baby, but think about, at my age I can help you with the griots, zaino, whatever your preference is. What baby can do that?

Old 12-11-2006, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by eddietr
Let me be the first to say that if you're ever in the market for a 35 year old son, pls give me a call!!!!

I'm obviously not as cute as a the typical newborn/baby, but think about, at my age I can help you with the griots, zaino, whatever your preference is. What baby can do that?

LOL....
Old 12-11-2006, 10:51 PM

2008 S65 Flint Grey/Black. Wife's car: 1/5/10 2010 E550 Palladium Silver/Natural Beige Leather P2 +
[QUOTE=eddietr;1882765]Let me be the first to say that if you're ever in the market for a 35 year old son, pls give me a call!!!!

Now if you were a 28 year old HOT nanny I might consider it. Payment would be driving her home in whatever her fancy. (my payment that is)

Last edited by Autobahn-Maniac; 12-11-2006 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:21 AM

Now if you were a 28 year old HOT nanny I might consider it. Payment would be driving her home in whatever her fancy. (my payment that is)
Hmmm... that would take a crazy amount of plastic surgery. And major $$$.

<sigh> I guess it would be cheaper to buy an F-car myself.

You have an incredible stable, sir. Enjoy in great health.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:20 AM

'12 ML350

Wow...the similarities continue: we enjoy the same hobby (driving on the track) and are the same age!

Now you're going to tell me that you too have a 7 1/2 month old girl at home, aren't ya?
Old 12-12-2006, 03:29 PM

2007 SL550, 2008 S65, Golf cart and a few non-MB vehicles

Options:

P2
Pano
AMG
Rear Seat Package

Like your cars (somebody must be partial to grey ) my only concern are the objects dangling in your garage
Old 12-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by meegle
Like your cars (somebody must be partial to grey ) my only concern are the objects dangling in your garage
Automotive homocide waiting to happen.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:32 PM

The Fcar and the TT are stored in a private temperature controlled garage about three miles from where I live. You could eat off the floor in the place. The person built it like a semiconductor fab. It is basically a class 1000 clean room.

My wife's Q7 is parked in the middle of the 2 car section of the 3 car garage and I park in the 1 car section. Oh yeah her car is Coral Gray. Yes I like grays. But every one of them is different look. Especially the F430. Thanks for the concern.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by rkao
Wow...the similarities continue: we enjoy the same hobby (driving on the track) and are the same age!

Now you're going to tell me that you too have a 7 1/2 month old girl at home, aren't ya?
No that would be completely weird.

My boy is 4.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
If nobody will, then I must ask: Which do you like better the Porsche or Ferrari?

Tee_Tz.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 S550
Originally Posted by tee_tz
If nobody will, then I must ask: Which do you like better the Porsche or Ferrari?
My heavily-opinionated self prefers Ferrari. Porches are too little and don't have the road presence. I've never driven either so I can't comment in that department.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:14 PM

The Fcar being my newest TOY car is definitely the fancy of my heart these days. I track the TT from time to time. With 640 HP and Torque all over the gearshift band, the Porsche gives you the G forces but the F430 F1 transmission is intoxicating. As they say Porsche builds cars to race, Ferrari races cars to build a few cars. Completely different philosophies, completely different car feel. Just humbly thankful to have both.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:21 PM

2011 BMW 750 Individual, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Arctic Edition
I had a 2003 S500 without the AMG. True, I was worried that my new S550 AMG would be louder. The new S is amazing. If the non-amg version is quieter, than that's purely amazing. The only downside to AMG is that the tires slip (worse in wet weather). Wish i had the time to wait for 4matic.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:34 PM

S550
If you want a quieter ride then you need the normal tires that come with the car. I'm probably one of the few people that ordered the S550 without the AMG kit and the dealer was very surprised. But I did get to test drive a car with and without ABC on the same day for testing, and I can tell you, it makes a huge difference. Take it to a parking lot with a passenger in the back and start driving in circles. People in the back will feel nausea without ABC, and they will feel very comfortable with ABC.
As for the leather, this is my 3rd Benz that I have ordered with the Standard leather and I've been very happy with it. The seats are the same comfort with or without premium leather, the only difference is the softer shinier feel of the leather, it's not like they put different springs and support on the Premium leather seats, the hardware underneath is exactly the same.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:43 PM

OK, you guys will think I'm crazy, but I ended up changing my order over the weekend. First, my wife decided she's not that interested in the AMG package anymore. And I was never that interested in the first place. Not that I don't love the way it looks, it's just that for whatever reason I love the way the W221 looks in general. Every since I first saw one on Pennsylvania Ave however many months ago.

So spending $5600 to trade one look I LOVE for another look I LOVE doesn't make sense.

And second, we've been assured by a high end detailer we know and trust (and who has kept my P-cars looking brand new) that we can keep the premium leather looking good with the right products. And with the vented seats, it seems the fit is a bit better. And in his experience, he thinks the material in the W221 is better than the premium leather in the 220. We'll see if that's true in the long run.

And third, the distronic plus sounds more and more interesting the more I read about it.

So the bottom line is we traded the AMG package for the premium leather and distronic plus.

So now we've got:

ABC
P2A package
Rear Seat Package
Distronic Plus
Night View Assist
Drive Dynamic Seats
Premium Leather
Dynamic Rear View Monitor
Power Rear Side Shades
Heated Steering Wheel
Electronic Trunk Closer

By the way, the wait sucks! And I'm sure with my luck one or more of these options will push my order back to April or May.

But reading this site makes me think it will be worth the wait. Thanks again for all the advice.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:48 AM

'12 ML350
OK, you guys will think I'm crazy, but I ended up changing my order over the weekend. First, my wife decided she's not that interested in the AMG package anymore. And I was never that interested in the first place. Not that I don't love the way it looks, it's just that for whatever reason I love the way the W221 looks in general. Every since I first saw one on Pennsylvania Ave however many months ago.

So spending $5600 to trade one look I LOVE for another look I LOVE doesn't make sense.

And second, we've been assured by a high end detailer we know and trust (and who has kept my P-cars looking brand new) that we can keep the premium leather looking good with the right products. And with the vented seats, it seems the fit is a bit better. And in his experience, he thinks the material in the W221 is better than the premium leather in the 220. We'll see if that's true in the long run.

And third, the distronic plus sounds more and more interesting the more I read about it.

So the bottom line is we traded the AMG package for the premium leather and distronic plus.

So now we've got:

ABC
P2A package
Rear Seat Package
Distronic Plus
Night View Assist
Drive Dynamic Seats
Premium Leather
Dynamic Rear View Monitor
Power Rear Side Shades
Heated Steering Wheel
Electronic Trunk Closer

By the way, the wait sucks! And I'm sure with my luck one or more of these options will push my order back to April or May.

But reading this site makes me think it will be worth the wait. Thanks again for all the advice.
I spoke to my dealer this weekend and he mentioned that MB USA is trying to work with the mothership in das Vaterland to open up more spots in their production schedule for U.S. orders, especially for 4matic orders.

I ordered mine in RWD and he maintains that I will have my car by Feb/Mar timeframe as promised. Since I didn't order the Night View Assist or Distronic Plus, hopefully there won't be supply issues. We shall see...

Last edited by rkao; 12-19-2006 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:33 PM

2011 BMW 750 Individual, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Arctic Edition
Eddietr,

BIG MISTAKE. I have MANY friends that have Distronic...you won't use it that much, if ever. For the money, you can get other options you will use more often. The AMG package is huge on this model, and it will give the car a much more sportier appearance. Here on Long Island, S class cars are all over, and the AMG really makes the car pop. I had the last model (2003) and didn't go for the AMG...i kicked myself everyday for 39 months.

It's your call...but I would take AMG over Distronic any day of the week. Oh yeah, one more thing...why in the world would you ask your wife what she thinks!!!!!!!!!!?????????
Old 12-19-2006, 08:46 PM

'05 SL 55 Black/Black w/mods from Eurocharged/Kleemann/BuckheadImports
Post Night Vision of no use, but DEFINITELY get the Back up camera & Distr. Plus

Just make sure you get the back-up camera and distronic plus, the night vision is useless.

And everything else on your order lists looks great and will be useful!!
Old 12-19-2006, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Taurian
Eddietr,

BIG MISTAKE. I have MANY friends that have Distronic...you won't use it that much, if ever. For the money, you can get other options you will use more often. The AMG package is huge on this model, and it will give the car a much more sportier appearance. Here on Long Island, S class cars are all over, and the AMG really makes the car pop. I had the last model (2003) and didn't go for the AMG...i kicked myself everyday for 39 months.

It's your call...but I would take AMG over Distronic any day of the week. Oh yeah, one more thing...why in the world would you ask your wife what she thinks!!!!!!!!!!?????????

My wife will be driving this as much as me.

I see what you're saying about "pop". But I think I'm all "popped" out driving the GT3 (it's a special order cobalt blue). I used to have an A8 and I like the low key thing. Not that an S-class can ever be that low key, but andorite is pretty tame.

I'm a gadget freak, so I'll use the distronic enough to make it worth it I think. We'll see. I'll definitely let you guys know.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:30 AM

S550
Originally Posted by Taurian
Eddietr,

BIG MISTAKE. I have MANY friends that have Distronic...you won't use it that much, if ever. For the money, you can get other options you will use more often. The AMG package is huge on this model, and it will give the car a much more sportier appearance.
I use DISTRONIC (not PLUS) on my 2004 E500 all the time. I use it when I'm driving in neighborhoods, on highways, on big roads and little roads. I also don't think the AMG package is all that great looking, I think it's a HUGE waste of money for something that adds more road noise to a car that is meant to be quiet and luxurious. For half the price of the AMG package, DISTRONIC PLUS is something I will USE instead of something people outside the car will look at.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:17 PM

'12 ML350
Originally Posted by mmereos
I use DISTRONIC (not PLUS) on my 2004 E500 all the time. I use it when I'm driving in neighborhoods, on highways, on big roads and little roads. I also don't think the AMG package is all that great looking, I think it's a HUGE waste of money for something that adds more road noise to a car that is meant to be quiet and luxurious. For half the price of the AMG package, DISTRONIC PLUS is something I will USE instead of something people outside the car will look at.
I specifically avoided Distronic Plus on my order because (and this is just my opinion) I still like to DRIVE the car, even a 4,500 lb. luxury sedan.

I never use cruise control, even on 8 hour drives to/from Toronto from the NY Metro area when we visit my in-laws, being conerned that I would pay less attention to driving with less to do.

With cars getting so self sufficient these days, I still enjoy the use of the control interface between the human foot and the pedals!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Newbie help with finalizing order (AMG pack)