S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Associating memory setting with Smartkey?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Associating memory setting with Smartkey?

This is a question for NevadaJack and anyone else...

I see that Mercedes seems to have dropped the common feature on some models where a particular key is associated with a particular memory setting for the seats/etc.

This is important for me and my wife since we have about a 9" difference in height and very different tastes in seating position and we don't really have a "her" car and "my" car. (Except for the GT3, which is definitely my car and has one piece shells in it anyway

But the S we will share.

So fortunately NevadaJack said the S does have this feature. They seem to have just dropped it from the other models. For instance, the C-class section on mbusa.com makes no mention of it anymore. But the 2003 version does.

So I looked through the manual and I don't see how you associate a particular smartkey with a particular memory setting (1,2, or 3). So how does that work?

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2006, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 240 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
The key-dependent memory feature in W220s remembered all three settings for each (of up to three) keys. In other words, the car has memory for nine unique settings. It didn't associate one button with a key. MB dropped it in 2006 because few people understood it. They got tired of service calls for the memory seats not working (when it was just that a different key was used). If you pester the dealer they will activate it on a 2006 S-class. (The 9-place memory controller was not changed, only the programming.)

I thought that they did not carry this feature over into the W221, but perhaps I'm wrong. I still drive a 220.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by eddietr
This is a question for NevadaJack and anyone else...

I see that Mercedes seems to have dropped the common feature on some models where a particular key is associated with a particular memory setting for the seats/etc.

This is important for me and my wife since we have about a 9" difference in height and very different tastes in seating position and we don't really have a "her" car and "my" car. (Except for the GT3, which is definitely my car and has one piece shells in it anyway

But the S we will share.

So fortunately NevadaJack said the S does have this feature. They seem to have just dropped it from the other models. For instance, the C-class section on mbusa.com makes no mention of it anymore. But the 2003 version does.

So I looked through the manual and I don't see how you associate a particular smartkey with a particular memory setting (1,2, or 3). So how does that work?

Thanks!
Perhaps the positions are not associated with the individual keys but if you set the positions for you under memory 1 and your wife sets her position under memory 3, then when either of you enter the car...the seat will be all the way back if easy entry/exit is activated and you just press the memory button for your position. The same can be done for the passenger seat.

As I indicated in the other thread, you can also set the position for the passenger seat from the driver seat control panel.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Perhaps the positions are not associated with the individual keys but if you set the positions for you under memory 1 and your wife sets her position under memory 3, then when either of you enter the car...the seat will be all the way back if easy entry/exit is activated and you just press the memory button for your position. The same can be done for the passenger seat.
OK, well that's definitely not what I was expecting. With Volkwagen, Audi and BMW when my wife opens the drivers door even with the keyless function the drivers seat adjusts to her automatically. She likes that better than having the seat go all the way back and then waiting for the ride all the way back to her forward position.

On the other hand, what whoover is describing is even better than what I expected. With 3 positions per key, we can store a winter, summer, and long trip position for each person. That sounds perfect. Hopefully that programming option is still available on the 221. I'm hopeful it will be if it was just a stupid user issue.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2024 S580 | 2024 Escalade ESV Sport Plat | 2022 X5M Competition
Originally Posted by eddietr
OK, well that's definitely not what I was expecting. With Volkwagen, Audi and BMW when my wife opens the drivers door even with the keyless function the drivers seat adjusts to her automatically. She likes that better than having the seat go all the way back and then waiting for the ride all the way back to her forward position.

On the other hand, what whoover is describing is even better than what I expected. With 3 positions per key, we can store a winter, summer, and long trip position for each person. That sounds perfect. Hopefully that programming option is still available on the 221. I'm hopeful it will be if it was just a stupid user issue.
As far as I know, all the keys have the same 3 memory settings. They are not key dependent anymore.

Also, the seat does not have to go all the way back when you get in. It will simply move from your memory position to hers, when she gets in the car and pushes her memory number.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by ///MB
As far as I know, all the keys have the same 3 memory settings. They are not key dependent anymore.

Also, the seat does not have to go all the way back when you get in. It will simply move from your memory position to hers, when she gets in the car and pushes her memory number.
Yeah, I see you can turn off the entry/exit from comand. That's good.

But I just wish you didn't have to push the memory button. I know it's a little thing, but look how much money we spend just to avoid having to take the key out of our pocket. And this car even releases the parking brake for us, saving another button press.

Having to actually press the memory button seems archaic to me after 5 cars now where I didn't have to press the button. It's very cool when you can just touch the door, open it, and have the seat move right away to your position without having to press anything. It's like "welcome home."

Rather annoying to have gotten used to that in a <$50k Touareg, and then losing that on a >$100k Mercedes. Again, hopefully it's a programming thing.

Last edited by eddietr; 12-17-2006 at 02:03 AM.