S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Dealer Installing Wooden Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
Dealer Installing Wooden Steering Wheel

My S550 reached Jacksonville port on Dec 20th. I ordered it with every option with the exception of AMG package. Somehow though the dealer couldn't get the wooden steering wheel on the order so they will install it for me at dealer cost when it arrives at the dealer.
My concern is can they mess anything up when they do this? Will the Steering will be as aligned as the factory steering wheel?
Old 12-24-2006, 12:36 PM

05 CLK 320
probably not, all he is doing is taking the top portion out and putting the new thing in. I would think it is a simple plug and play....

.... Dont worry
Old 12-24-2006, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by mmereos
My S550 reached Jacksonville port on Dec 20th. I ordered it with every option with the exception of AMG package. Somehow though the dealer couldn't get the wooden steering wheel on the order so they will install it for me at dealer cost when it arrives at the dealer.
My concern is can they mess anything up when they do this? Will the Steering will be as aligned as the factory steering wheel?
They do it all the time. I had it done on my E320 and my S430. If the wheel is not aligned properly, just take it back and have them redo it. My were perfect.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:20 PM

08 S550 and 07 GL450
I don't have the wooden steering wheel and i've thought about getting it.... It's considered a dealer installed option I believe
Old 01-02-2007, 06:09 PM

S550
Just an update, the dealer did a perfect job on replacing the factory steering with with the wooden one.
Silly me, didn't realize that the S550 has shifter buttons on the back of the steering wheel, and I have a tendency to accidently shift to lower gears when I'm backing out of parking spots.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:28 PM

08 S550 and 07 GL450
Originally Posted by mmereos
Just an update, the dealer did a perfect job on replacing the factory steering with with the wooden one.
Silly me, didn't realize that the S550 has shifter buttons on the back of the steering wheel, and I have a tendency to accidently shift to lower gears when I'm backing out of parking spots.
What was the cost if you don't mind me asking???? And how long did it take them to do it?????
Old 01-03-2007, 10:37 PM

Bentley Continental GT 2004
Originally Posted by cracker123
probably not, all he is doing is taking the top portion out and putting the new thing in. I would think it is a simple plug and play....

.... Dont worry
I agree not to worry, because like Nevada Jack I have had steering wheels replaced on various Benzs I have owned in the past.

The job is not quite so simple though, as the airbag needs to be removed and reinstalled, and the computer needs to be reset so that the steering wheel mounted controls will work. On my old W220 the whole process took nearly two hours.

Alignment of the wheel has never been a problem, though as an aside the wheel on the 2003 SL my wife drives arrived from the factory off center, and was put right by the dealer!

By the way, I am not sure if anyone has toyed with the idea of getting the airbag cover with stitching as shown in some of the photos in the catalogue? I enquired as I thought it would complete the look I got when I ordered the Artico dash and got extra dash stitching and on the doors as well. Turns out it apparently requires replacing the whole airbag assembly so the whole process ends up rather expensive!

Last edited by hcwong; 01-03-2007 at 10:40 PM.