S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Wood Steering Wheel Shortage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 12:05 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Porsche: 981.2s / 997.2s / 9Y0.1s Range Rover: RRS RRFF Mercedes: 2022 GLS450
Wood Steering Wheel Shortage?

First off I want to thank everyone on this forum for posting so many things about the S550, all of the messages have been of great. I just helped my parents spec out an Obsidian / Savanna / AMG 4-matic with P2A, Night Assist, Pano roof, Rear Seat Pkg, Premium Leather and Trunk Closer.

One option they really want is the Wood/Leather Steering Wheel and the dealer is telling them they are in very short supply and cannot be ordered right now. I saw the post about installing it aftermarket but it makes it much easier to just order from the factory. Has anyone else heard of this shortage? I am not questioning the dealer because they have been great but I do wonder how this option (which seems to be a pretty standard upgrade) could be in such short supply it cannot be ordered. Any advice would be appreciated.

A4EP

04' Porsche 986S
Old 01-04-2007, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You seem to hear different things from different dealers at different times about various shortages.

I was told by one dealer that night view was very difficult to get. Another dealer the next day was telling me how the power rear side shades were in short supply and I couldn't order that. Another dealer said I couldn't order night view and rear view camera together.

This was all in the one week I was calling around looking for a car. It's possible they run short on different options from month to month and have had to delay different cars and so each dealer now has their features they are avoiding just because on of their cars happened to get delayed for that particular feature.

The dealer I ended up placing the order with says that really it's difficult for an individual dealer to predict Mercedes' supply situation in Feb or Mar or whenever my car is actually built. So he suggested I order what I want and then see what happens when a build week is finally assigned. That seemed sensible to me.

Having said that, I should point out (a) I don't have a build week assigned yet. I placed my order about 2-3 weeks ago. and (b) I actually didn't get the wood/leather steering wheel. But my dealer said nothing about any problems getting that feature.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have also heard of the wood/leather wheel being in short supply. As time passes the supply will get better but adding this as an accessory is also an option.