S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

NevadaJack goes X...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by eddietr
I would be, actually. But hopefully I'll have my car with exactly what I wanted by then. But I'm sure more people will be interested by the spring.

It is a beauty! I look forward to your GL pics. Now I'll fall in love with the GL and have to get that, too!
I know a good source should you need the GL in the future...:-)

I will try and fill the GL thread with images.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBZFAN55
Jack - Hope you enjoy your new ride as much as we have enjoyed your participation on the W221 board. I always had a feeling that after the R-Class situation, an suv was always a possiblity again. Enjoy !
Thanks...glad I passed on the R...I have my doubts that will be on the market too much longer.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Thanks...glad I passed on the R...I have my doubts that will be on the market too much longer.
Hmm I see 5 to 6 R's each day here in SoCal. Just on my street alone there are about 8 families with R350's and R500's. Its a lovely concept, the front needs a bit more work. The AMG trim certainly helps though.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Hmm I see 5 to 6 R's each day here in SoCal. Just on my street alone there are about 8 families with R350's and R500's. Its a lovely concept, the front needs a bit more work. The AMG trim certainly helps though.
They are scarce here in LV...perhaps the diesel addition will help sales. Would be nice if it survived...I wonder how overseas sales are with the short wheel base?
Old 12-27-2006, 07:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
I forgot to ask NJ. Why the GL over the ML?
Old 12-27-2006, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02ml500sport/maxima06-6speed
OMG HONESTLY , IF ANYBODY NEVER SEEN THE WHITE S550 WITH AMG PACKAGE IN PERSON , LOL IT'S THE HOTTEST CAR I'VE EVER SEEN . THE 1ST TIME I'VE SEEN IT I WAS DROOLING FOR AN HOURE LOL JUST WALKING AROUND IT , IT IS SO HOT , GOD THERE IS NO SEDAN I WOULD TAKE OVER THE ALABSTER WHITE S550 WITH AMG PACKAGE , COMPARING IT TO GL ? GOD FORBID LOL PURE SEXINESS , its not your regular black s550 with 17 rims lol it is SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICk , lol DUDE ur NUTS .
Old 12-27-2006, 09:27 PM

scared of being stalked
I had not intended to announce this decision until I had a formal agreement with Greg at Westminster MB in Denver. But I have decided to shift gears and get into a GL320CDI (X164.)

Reason is very simple...I want to do some traveling in the west and many roads are gravel or two lane secondary roads which is not the best situation for a S550. In addition, my wife and I had owned wagon/diesel combos from MB before and I had a desired to get back into one. She is not here to experience either the S or the GL but would certainly approve...she loved the diesel wagons.

The GL as I said will be the diesel model in Obsidian Black with Ash Leather and all the options except for the RSE, hitch and heated seats. Build will be late March or early April with delivery in late April.

The S550 is absolutely the best MB I have owned since I started buying them in the mid-70's. I will miss some of the goodies and the ABC ride but test driving the GL450, I found the ride to be more car-like than SUV-like. 18 months of driving the S Class (W220 and W221) had been a pleasure and I look forward to my trips in the GL.

Shot a pic today of the S today while joy-riding...what a fantastic car!

s class to a gl is the equivalent to going from this girl:

to this girl:

dont do it jack, dont do it...
Old 12-27-2006, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
I honestly don't know about this one Jack. The S550 and GL simply aren't cut from the same cloth. Your experience with the S550 has been perfect and I don't think you'll have the same experience with the GL320. The interior of the S is much better than the GL as is the general build. The GL hasn't been exactly trouble free either. I would hate for you to start having problems with the GL when your S has been so trouble-free. I'm scratching my head on this one Jack.

M
Old 12-27-2006, 10:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Well it's sad to see the S550 go, luckily its not gone yet. I myself cannot warm up to the GL. When I see one around town it just does not appeal to me the way other MB's do. I really hate having some of these newer models they have now. The GL, R, and CLS really are just stupid cars to me. The GL is very nice, but just doesnt feel MB.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AsianML
When you say heated seats, does that mean the fronts too, or just the rear is excluded?
No heated seats...front or rear. You cannot have the wood wheel and heated seats and it's a package I would never use.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by Germancar1
I honestly don't know about this one Jack. The S550 and GL simply aren't cut from the same cloth. Your experience with the S550 has been perfect and I don't think you'll have the same experience with the GL320. The interior of the S is much better than the GL as is the general build. The GL hasn't been exactly trouble free either. I would hate for you to start having problems with the GL when your S has been so trouble-free. I'm scratching my head on this one Jack.

M
Read why he's switching.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:25 PM

Metro Card : (
NJ - Although I am disappointed the poster-child for the W221 is going to be jumping ship, congrats on a new ride. I am sure you will convert many of us to GL fans.

That said, perhaps MBUSA may decide to "grandfather" your S and let you have it free of charge. You have done a great job promoting the S 550 (inadvertently or intentionally).

Keep posting pics in the meantime!
Old 12-27-2006, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jsloan01
NJ - Although I am disappointed the poster-child for the W221 is going to be jumping ship, congrats on a new ride. I am sure you will convert many of us to GL fans.

That said, perhaps MBUSA may decide to "grandfather" your S and let you have it free of charge. You have done a great job promoting the S 550 (inadvertently or intentionally).

Thanks...maybe the forum members should partition MBUSA to grant me a free MB of my choice...that sounds reasonable to me...:-)

Thanks for the kudos and you can bet the GL will get equal time on the GL thread.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by jsloan01
I am sure you will convert many of us to GL fans.

i bet he converts me. it was so exciting seeing him take delivery of his S550. I'm in love with white S Classes now. I have only seen one S600 in white in Glencoe just a couple weeks ago. So hopefully he can make the GL feel like a real mercedes to me.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mrkhan347
s class to a gl is the equivalent to going from this girl:

...snipped...

to this girl:

...snipped...

dont do it jack, dont do it...
I don't know if I'd go THAT far.

The S550 would look pretty silly on gravel roads and the kinds of places NJ apparently plans to travel.

I agree, the S550 seems pretty great (I dont' know yet), but personally I wouldn't take it to the track. (well, ok, maybe once just for kicks )

But I think for the purpose NJ wants, the GL sounds like a great idea to me. Different needs, different vehicle.

But Nevada Jack, I am curious what makes you choose the GL over the ML. Not that I'm trying push the ML or anything. I'm just curious in case, let's say theoretically, I was starting to think about Mercedes SUV's.

Last edited by eddietr; 12-28-2006 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by AsianML
Read why he's switching.
I read why he's switching an I still can't see going from a S to a GL from an emotional standpoint. From a practical or functional standpoint yes, but when I look at the S and then a GL, NO.

M
Old 12-28-2006, 09:47 AM

Mr. Jack, go for what your heart desires. You have a very nice car but if it doesn't suit your need then it becomes a waste and at that price, a big waste. It reminds me of people that buy the S and opt for the trailer hitch. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by eddietr
I don't know if I'd go THAT far.

The S550 would look pretty silly on gravel roads and the kinds of places NJ apparently plans to travel.

I agree, the S550 seems pretty great (I dont' know yet), but personally I wouldn't take it to the track. (well, ok, maybe once just for kicks )

But I think for the purpose NJ wants, the GL sounds like a great idea to me. Different needs, different vehicle.

But Nevada Jack, I am curious what makes you choose the GL over the ML. Not that I'm trying push the ML or anything. I'm just curious in case, let's say theoretically, I was starting to think about Mercedes SUV's.
Welcome to my showroom. You are a goner when my Gallery opens on the GL thread in April...:-)))

The ML 320CDI did not have some options available and I just found the rear too abbreviated...kind of stubby. The GL has a full line of options and the ride was really car-like. More a visual appeal thing as opposed to features and performance. They both have common parts and look similar inside but the GL was just more appealing to me.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kenstudios
Mr. Jack, go for what your heart desires. You have a very nice car but if it doesn't suit your need then it becomes a waste and at that price, a big waste. It reminds me of people that buy the S and opt for the trailer hitch. Good luck with your purchase.
Thanks Ken...

People have to understand it's only a car. You love them when you own them and remember them when you sell them...but the next new one is your pet and you pamper and love it to death. Until the next one...:-)
Old 12-28-2006, 10:03 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
Dude you were king of the S class section....this is a bad deal.

But I have had 9 cars in 8 years so I know how it is Jack.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:03 AM

'12 ML350
Given Jack's needs for his lifestyle and travels, I think he's making a very sensible choice...probably result of great wisdom gathered from experience and age

I quite like the GL and plan to lease one for my wife when the current lease on the Lexus LX ends in 16 months. It's spacious, has what seems a much improved build quality like the W221 S-class, and it tows 7,500 lbs. with the optional class IV tow package so it'll be great hauling my trailer with its load of the M3 track car.

Plus the GL has garnered praise almost universally from the press, including Consumer Reports, which is not usually the case for its products. The GL is built on the R-class chassis (not sure if modified from R-class chassis or not) so the longer wheelbase and 4matic ought to make it a great mover whatever the terrain.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cy0811
Dude you were king of the S class section....this is a bad deal.

But I have had 9 cars in 8 years so I know how it is Jack.
Thanks...the king is off to conquer the GL thread...:-)

"9 cars in 8 years"...you are more insane than I am...LOL
Old 12-28-2006, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rkao
Given Jack's needs for his lifestyle and travels, I think he's making a very sensible choice...probably result of great wisdom gathered from experience and age

I quite like the GL and plan to lease one for my wife when the current lease on the Lexus LX ends in 16 months. It's spacious, has what seems a much improved build quality like the W221 S-class, and it tows 7,500 lbs. with the optional class IV tow package so it'll be great hauling my trailer with its load of the M3 track car.

Plus the GL has garnered praise almost universally from the press, including Consumer Reports, which is not usually the case for its products. The GL is built on the R-class chassis (not sure if modified from R-class chassis or not) so the longer wheelbase and 4matic ought to make it a great mover whatever the terrain.
Thanks and well put Roy. You are right...it's the "wisdom."
Old 12-28-2006, 11:20 AM
Out Of Control!!

Thanks and well put Roy. You are right...it's the "wisdom."
look at the drama you stirred in the W221 forum!
Old 12-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by rkao

I think ML, GL, and R-Classes are on the same chassis.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NevadaJack goes X...