S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Mercedes ordering process?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by eddietr
Well, it doesn't stop there! This particular $119k S550 has a TRIP ODOMETER.

I mean, how cool is that? This website has definitely sold me.
Understood on the lack of ABC...talked with Greg on another matter just the other day and he mentioned the ABC problem.

Doesn't Designo run about $11K so that would mean $108 or for the remainder of the car and options. That is a pretty good loaded car...even with the AMG package you are still talking $101+ so I would bet there is good chance it does have ABC.

American Service Center...I think I bought my first MB there in 1976 or so. I just can't remember...it was in NW or Virginia as I remember. I ended up buying most of my MB's in Annapolis at Benson Motor Cars...but I think they have changed hands now.

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 01-14-2007 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by AsianML
Not sure about the W140, but that was on the W220.
Yes the 140 had it as well. The 220 only had it on the 2003+ redesigned models, and only on the ones without the power trunk closer. It looks like its gone from the 220 though.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Understood on the lack of ABC...talked with Greg on another matter just the other day and he mentioned the ABC problem.

Doesn't Designo run about $11K so that would mean $108 or for the remainder of the car and options. That is a pretty good loaded car...even with the AMG package you are still talking $101+ so I would bet there is good chance it does have ABC.
Right, but assuming it does have AMG and ABC, then it's likely missing something else we ordered (maybe the rear seat package?)

Basically a car like we ordered with the addition of designo and the AMG pack would be about $122k. So there's about $3k in options "missing" there on this car compared to mine (again, assuming it's a sport pack car).

I guess we'll see on Monday. It's worth a call.

EDIT: made it a bit more clear that our ordered car doesn't have either the designo or the AMG pack. So that's why I'm sure it has something else this car doesn't.

Last edited by eddietr; 01-14-2007 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Right, but assuming it does have AMG and ABC, then it's likely missing something else we ordered (maybe the rear seat package?)

Basically a car like we ordered with the addition of designo and the AMG pack would be about $122k. So there's about $3k in options "missing" there on this car compared to mine (again, assuming it's a sport pack car).

I guess we'll see on Monday. It's worth a call.

EDIT: made it a bit more clear that our ordered car doesn't have either the designo or the AMG pack. So that's why I'm sure it has something else this car doesn't.
It's a guessing game but I would bet it does not have the rear seat package...just want to keep you from sleeping for the next two nights...:_)))
Old 01-14-2007, 10:54 AM

'12 ML350
I'd be curious to read what you decide there. My wife and I were talking about this on the way home tonight. The dealer had said there was a still a chance to get a March production, April delivery car and that he hoped to call us today with good news. We got no call today, and in this case no news is not good news.

So our options are:

1.) Pick some S550 in stock either at our dealer or through a dealer exchange. In all likelihood I think that means giving up on ABC, since I think I remember only finding one car with ABC last time I called around a bunch of dealers. Plus I'll probably lose some other 1 or 2 options from my list that way.

2.) 750Li. I trust/understand the BMW ordering process much better. I know I can get a car that way with exactly the features I want witho all the mystery.

3.) the A8L. I've never ordered an Audi before, so that would be an unknown again.

Right now I'm leaning towards option #1, because I'm so sold on the S550. But dropping a $100k on a car and not getting the options you want sort of sucks.

I should add that when I put the deposit on this car, I was told March or April delivery and it was on that basis that I decided to do it. I think we've clearly missed that timeframe. And given all the confusion/mystery, I'm not sure I have any confidence in May either.
Am in Hong Kong on business and just saw two S600 outside my hotel, the Peninsula, and both with the AMG package; which of course makes me want my S550 with the AMG Sport package even more.

But, pragmatism reigns and I'm going to explore the following options when I get back stateside:

1. Extend my lease on the A8L to month to month, assuming I get a confirmed order for the S550 eventually, maybe for May or June delivery

2. Go to the Audi dealer and see what they have incoming in terms of the S8, possibly customized to order if available, and see what kind of a deal I can negotiate given its poor residual for lease programs

3. Order a 750Li, which fully loaded with the sports package (now with the 20" wheels) still comes in around 'just' $90,000 or so, and lease it for 24 months only, as there is a new 7er coming out soon

4. Go to the Maserati dealer and see how crazy I can be if I lease a Quattroporte GT - completely lacking in the Teutonic engineering excellence but dripping in Italian sexiness - though someone once said its nav system doesn't work as well as a compass from Walmart!

Just for s*%ts and giggles, I'm also going to see what's available from my MB dealer in the form of a CL550, though honestly I'd have a tough time explaining to my wife why I'm getting a coupe when we have an 8 1/2 months old daughter now and hope for a second child in another 16 months or so

But again, the dealer has promised me more solid information next week and then I'll have to see if I still need to consider any/all of the above options. I am not crazy about finding an S550 from the inventory or from Glauser as, much like you, I'd prefer to have my car my way (like a Burger King burger for those of you who can remember their old slogan) and not compromise on the options and equipment for 36 months.

FWIW, my ordering process for the A8L was very straight forward a few years ago but I have an excellent Audi dealer, even if they've been inflexible thus far on the S8's price. And yes, I agree that BMW NA has a great handle on its product pipeline and can even allow customers track their cars on the shipping vessels to see when they reach port.

As much as I want the S550, I am slightly astonished that MB still has not been able to reconcile its order books with its contracted suppliers to make sure they can meet the demands of the pipeline for a flagship product like the S-klasse.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rkao
Am in Hong Kong on business and just saw two S600 outside my hotel, the Peninsula, and both with the AMG package; which of course makes me want my S550 with the AMG Sport package even more.

But, pragmatism reigns and I'm going to explore the following options when I get back stateside:

1. Extend my lease on the A8L to month to month, assuming I get a confirmed order for the S550 eventually, maybe for May or June delivery

Since you may extend your lease and wait till May or Jun, why not put in an order for a 2008 S550 and be first on the list at your dealer to order and take delivery. I would imagine the 2008's would be avalilable in October maybe?

Just a suggestion...
Old 01-14-2007, 07:35 PM

2008 Mazda Tribute , 2007 S550.
Since you may extend your lease and wait till May or Jun, why not put in an order for a 2008 S550 and be first on the list at your dealer to order and take delivery. I would imagine the 2008's would be avalilable in October maybe?

Just a suggestion...
Intelligent alternative, and you will also benefit from any updates, modifications, improvements introduced since inception.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:15 PM

'12 ML350

Just a suggestion...
A good and logical suggestion.

I have, however, grown up in an age of instant gratification and want something new to drive...and NOW!

I'll have to see what the dealer says later this week, I am in Hong Kong on business still so can't do much about it until I get back stateside later this week.

Don't get me wrong, if given the choice I'd still stick with the S550 as I've ordered it. However, the circumstance gives me pause to consider my alternatives - if needed that is.

Thanks for all your input, really appreciate the good thoughts.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
A good and logical suggestion.

I have, however, grown up in an age of instant gratification and want something new to drive...and NOW!

I'll have to see what the dealer says later this week, I am in Hong Kong on business still so can't do much about it until I get back stateside later this week.

Don't get me wrong, if given the choice I'd still stick with the S550 as I've ordered it. However, the circumstance gives me pause to consider my alternatives - if needed that is.

Thanks for all your input, really appreciate the good thoughts.
I see you are in NJ. Not sure what dealership you are working with, but maybe you could visit Ray Catena or some of the other big ones in the area. Maybe a larger dealership would be able to get you what you want more quickly.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by 04S430
Intelligent alternative, and you will also benefit from any updates, modifications, improvements introduced since inception.
So Mercedes doesn't fold in new improvements in March production like the other German manufacturers? BMW and Porsche tend to make more changes in March than in Sept/Oct.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:33 AM

2008 Mazda Tribute , 2007 S550.
So Mercedes doesn't fold in new improvements in March production like the other German manufacturers? BMW and Porsche tend to make more changes in March than in Sept/Oct.
I would imagine that as the W221 engineering/manufacturing "snags and glitches" become known, the factory rectifies them on an on going basis at the assembly line, rather than having the dealers do it for them.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:31 AM

'12 ML350
Originally Posted by pmb600
I see you are in NJ. Not sure what dealership you are working with, but maybe you could visit Ray Catena or some of the other big ones in the area. Maybe a larger dealership would be able to get you what you want more quickly.
I'm with Prestige MB, so it's a decent sized dealership that sells 40-45 S-classes a month according to an insider. I feel comfortable that the dealership is doing all it can to help get the order moving forward.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:09 PM

So my dealer was hoping to see some activity on my order by this morning, but we were disappointed once again. At this point there is a chance we could get the car in May, but I'm not holding my breath on that. Looks like June is more likely.

So I went ahead and added the AMG sport pack again (and deleted the night view.) Originally we had deleted the AMG pack, which my wife had wanted, to offset the cost of the distronic and premium leather and because of concerns about possible noise from the tires.

But if we decide to wait this out until June (or July?), we figured we might as well get everything. Plus I'm over the sticker shock now. I had originally thought of this as a $90k car, but it quickly went over $100k which bothered me a bit. And now it's over $110k. But now that I know how difficult it is to get a Mercedes, I might as well have no regrets.

Last edited by eddietr; 01-15-2007 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:15 PM

It's a guessing game but I would bet it does not have the rear seat package...just want to keep you from sleeping for the next two nights...:_)))
By the way, working backwards from the sticker price, I figured out yesterday that this car probably has everything but the ABC.

I'm going to confirm that today, but if the car has designo, rear seat package, night view, distronic, rear shades, drive dynamic, rear view, and electric trunk closer, and P2A, it would be $119,820 which is the MSRP listed for this car.

I just can't win!!!
Old 01-15-2007, 05:27 PM

So I confirmed that the designo car they have does not have ABC.

So the advantages of the designo car:

1.) The Designo package (I love the wood and the alcantara)
2.) pano roof
3.) Night view (which I'm not that interested in any more.)
4.) I can be driving it today or tomorrow

The advantages of waiting for the car I ordered:

1.) ABC. That's the big one.
2.) An MSRP of "only" $111k versus $119k for the designo car. But the real price difference is probably less than $8k, depending on how quickly they want to get rid of the $119k S550 on their lot.

Honestly, if the car in stock had ABC, I'd be driving it right now. No question. Especially since my car still isn't on the schedule and I'd be lucky to see it in May at this point.

But without ABC, I just don't know. I think if I'm not going to get ABC, I might as well look at all the 4matics the different dealers have in stock. I would have preferred a 4matic, except that I didn't order one specifically because I wanted ABC.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So I confirmed that the designo car they have does not have ABC.

So the advantages of the designo car:

1.) The Designo package (I love the wood and the alcantara)
2.) pano roof
3.) Night view (which I'm not that interested in any more.)
4.) I can be driving it today or tomorrow

The advantages of waiting for the car I ordered:

1.) ABC. That's the big one.
2.) An MSRP of "only" $111k versus $119k for the designo car. But the real price difference is probably less than $8k, depending on how quickly they want to get rid of the $119k S550 on their lot.

Honestly, if the car in stock had ABC, I'd be driving it right now. No question. Especially since my car still isn't on the schedule and I'd be lucky to see it in May at this point.

But without ABC, I just don't know. I think if I'm not going to get ABC, I might as well look at all the 4matics the different dealers have in stock. I would have preferred a 4matic, except that I didn't order one specifically because I wanted ABC.
Seems to me you are down to two options. Wait for the car you desire and when the phone rings saying it is in...enjoy it. The other is your last line about the ABC...if you can't get it on a $119K package why not look at one of the loaded deals available on a 4matic model and save some bucks.

I am not the one to preach wait...since I got tired quickly of delays and bought from stock. But if you can do it...wait and get the ABC you have on order...the ride is worth the wait.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:42 PM

07 S600, 14 SL550
There is always the S600 option, It has all that you are looking for and more. They seem to be readily available, with a nice discount. I decided to go that way and am entirely pleased. It truly is an incredible machine with ample power. I have not even excercised it yet because the mileage is around 400 to date. I like to wait until I have 1000 miles before I try it out. With ABC, alcantera, distronic, night vision, and incredibly soft leather, it may be worth your while.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by bt1340
There is always the S600 option, It has all that you are looking for and more. They seem to be readily available, with a nice discount. I decided to go that way and am entirely pleased. It truly is an incredible machine with ample power. I have not even excercised it yet because the mileage is around 400 to date. I like to wait until I have 1000 miles before I try it out. With ABC, alcantera, distronic, night vision, and incredibly soft leather, it may be worth your while.
Yeah, I've been thinking about that, too. What kind of discount do you think is available? Seems like there would still be be about a 25k gap, right?

I guess it's all relative. If you can comfortably afford to spend X on a car, you can probably afford 1.2X or 1.3X. But for me, the S600 would be by far my most expensive car I've ever owned. Not sure I'm quite ready for that.

But I agree, it would be a nice choice because it has everything plus that great engine.

Originally Posted by nj

Seems to me you are down to two options. Wait for the car you desire and when the phone rings saying it is in...enjoy it. The other is your last line about the ABC...if you can't get it on a $119K package why not look at one of the loaded deals available on a 4matic model and save some bucks.

I am not the one to preach wait...since I got tired quickly of delays and bought from stock. But if you can do it...wait and get the ABC you have on order...the ride is worth the wait.
I think you're right. If I'm going to give up ABC, that opens up literally dozens of cars I had already ruled out because they didn't have ABC. Mostly 4matic cars.

I'd feel better about waiting if I knew how long I have to wait. They originally said March/Apr, then Apr/May, now it's May/June.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:51 AM

'12 ML350
So my dealer was hoping to see some activity on my order by this morning, but we were disappointed once again. At this point there is a chance we could get the car in May, but I'm not holding my breath on that. Looks like June is more likely.

So I went ahead and added the AMG sport pack again (and deleted the night view.) Originally we had deleted the AMG pack, which my wife had wanted, to offset the cost of the distronic and premium leather and because of concerns about possible noise from the tires.

But if we decide to wait this out until June (or July?), we figured we might as well get everything. Plus I'm over the sticker shock now. I had originally thought of this as a $90k car, but it quickly went over $100k which bothered me a bit. And now it's over $110k. But now that I know how difficult it is to get a Mercedes, I might as well have no regrets.
If indeed it'll be June or July, would you consider the S63? The MSRP will probably not be terribly far from a loaded S550 per the ordered spec.

From my point of view, if my order is that late (which I really hope it's not) and I actually have the patience to wait (which I probaby won't), I'd seriously consider the S63 and since the dealer probably owes you one for being patient, maybe you'd even coax a small discount from them.

The wife put the kibosh to my idea for a CL550 coupe (ABC is standard) given our family needs so I'm back to the basics in considering my saloon options if the S550 order is seriously delayed.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:22 AM

07 S600, 14 SL550
You can get at least 10K off of an S600. Greg at Glauser will do that. Even more is available if you hit the right dealer at the right time. If all of the high dollar options are what you desire on the S550, it would make sense if your budget permits to go to the S600.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:25 PM

'12 ML350
Latest update...

OK, so here's what's going on - according to my rep, apparently the 4matics are so popular in the northeast that getting a RWD slot is nearly impossible. And all the RWD orders are going to the west coast or to the south.

So our dealer is working with MBUSA to swap a 4matic car scheduled for production for one with RWD with one of the west coast dealers. And because the car is scheduled for production, they can still spec the car to my options and color.

The production schedule is for late Feb/early Mar so delivery will be early/mid April. If this all happen, then I'd be fine to proceed with the S550 as I've spec'ed.

The confirmation should be received by Thursday so I have my fingers crossed.

Eddietr, wonder if you're in the same boat because you're in the mid-Atlantic region?

The MBUSA allocation model seems so rigid and inflexible that any slight anomaly (if you can call me wanting a RWD S550 and the ABC option an anomaly that is!) seems to throw a wrench into the system.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:45 PM

OK, so here's what's going on - according to my rep, apparently the 4matics are so popular in the northeast that getting a RWD slot is nearly impossible. And all the RWD orders are going to the west coast or to the south.

So our dealer is working with MBUSA to swap a 4matic car scheduled for production for one with RWD with one of the west coast dealers. And because the car is scheduled for production, they can still spec the car to my options and color.

The production schedule is for late Feb/early Mar so delivery will be early/mid April. If this all happen, then I'd be fine to proceed with the S550 as I've spec'ed.

The confirmation should be received by Thursday so I have my fingers crossed.

Eddietr, wonder if you're in the same boat because you're in the mid-Atlantic region?

The MBUSA allocation model seems so rigid and inflexible that any slight anomaly (if you can call me wanting a RWD S550 and the ABC option an anomaly that is!) seems to throw a wrench into the system.
Sounds like good news!

And it sounds like your dealer is really thinking of every possible way to get this done. I wish mine were as aggressive.

I hope the swap works out for you. Do let us know.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
So I put a deposit for an S550 about 3 weeks ago. The request was put into the system while I was there.

Now, I have experience with BMW and Porsche ordering, and in those cases I was able to get a build week assigned to the car within a day or two of putting in the order. And then from that point on with BMW I could call into the automated system once a week or so just to keep an eye on it.

But with Mercedes, we're 3 weeks into this and it seems that the car has still not even made it into the production schedule. Is this normal? And do you guys have any information about the timing of the major milestones in the Mercedes ordering process?

Like I said, I know the BMW process pretty well now and so if I had chosen the 750Li, I'd have a really good idea of when the car would be here. But Mercedes seems to be quite different.

Thanks!

Check PM