S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Mercedes ordering process?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes ordering process?

So I put a deposit for an S550 about 3 weeks ago. The request was put into the system while I was there.

Now, I have experience with BMW and Porsche ordering, and in those cases I was able to get a build week assigned to the car within a day or two of putting in the order. And then from that point on with BMW I could call into the automated system once a week or so just to keep an eye on it.

But with Mercedes, we're 3 weeks into this and it seems that the car has still not even made it into the production schedule. Is this normal? And do you guys have any information about the timing of the major milestones in the Mercedes ordering process?

Like I said, I know the BMW process pretty well now and so if I had chosen the 750Li, I'd have a really good idea of when the car would be here. But Mercedes seems to be quite different.

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2007, 06:44 PM

'12 ML350
Seems par for the course.

I ordered my car at the end of November and though I gave them my credit card for a $2,500 deposit, they have yet to charge it until they have a confirmed production slot - pretty decent of them given the situation.

But they have not yet confirmed production slot for my car but they are apparently still comfortable that I'll get my car by March at the latest.

Odd...BMW and Audi were always able to confirm production rather quickly.

What's the deal with the MBUSA ordering process?
Old 01-09-2007, 10:57 AM

2008 Mazda Tribute , 2007 S550.
I ordered mine in September 2006 (Canada). I was informed a few days ago that a Vehicle Identification Number had been assigned to the car (my car, I hope,)and would be delivered in February. Having endured a few stories in the past, I will believe it when I see it!
Why MB ? Why? Tomorrow's business is more important than today's if you plan to be around!
Old 01-09-2007, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 E550 4Matic, '09 S600, '07 CL600
Originally Posted by rkao
Seems par for the course.

I ordered my car at the end of November and though I gave them my credit card for a $2,500 deposit, they have yet to charge it until they have a confirmed production slot - pretty decent of them given the situation.

But they have not yet confirmed production slot for my car but they are apparently still comfortable that I'll get my car by March at the latest.

Odd...BMW and Audi were always able to confirm production rather quickly.

What's the deal with the MBUSA ordering process?
Simple, Mercedes still has the old school car manufacturing arrogance...
Old 01-09-2007, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by 04S430
I ordered mine in September 2006 (Canada). I was informed a few days ago that a Vehicle Identification Number had been assigned to the car (my car, I hope,)and would be delivered in February. Having endured a few stories in the past, I will believe it when I see it!
Why MB ? Why? Tomorrow's business is more important than today's if you plan to be around!
So 5 months, basically. I guess that's what I'm expecting. April delivery for me (ordered in December.)

That's too bad because I could cancel my order today, place a new order with BMW and definitely get a car a month earlier in March (BMW dealer has a Feb production date he can commit to me if I want to do it.)

Except for the fact that we test drove the 750Li and S550 back to back and for what we want in a car, the S550 was far superior. My wife and I didn't even have to discuss it after the test drive, we both just knew. And that was testing a car without ABC.

Oh well, apparently Mercedes knows that, too! They don't seem to be in any rush to make any commitments to us.

Last edited by eddietr; 01-09-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:56 PM

Agree, the S550 is superior to the competition at this time. What annoys me, are the blatant delivery promises when ordering. I would rather be told that I will have a waiting time of 5 or 6 months, rather than finding out in increments the actual delivery time. (Must confess, it took me more than a test drive to convince my wife it was time to replace!)
Old 01-09-2007, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
this could be partially the dealers fault. The dealer can put pressure/emphasis on your order to his market team to get a build slot assigned. Keep that in mind.

Also just look at the sales. BMW can easily give out production slots for the cars because the demand is very low (for the 7 series), same goes for Audi.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kar don
this could be partially the dealers fault. The dealer can put pressure/emphasis on your order to his market team to get a build slot assigned. Keep that in mind.

Also just look at the sales. BMW can easily give out production slots for the cars because the demand is very low (for the 7 series), same goes for Audi.
I have no problems with what you are saying. Let's hope, as I surmise, that "they" are also reading this good feed back web. Let's be kind about this; I believe that the dealer put to much emphasize on the future, rather than the present.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by 04S430
I have no problems with what you are saying. Let's hope, as I surmise, that "they" are also reading this good feed back web. Let's be kind about this; I believe that the dealer put too much emphasis on the future, rather than the present.
Let me add to this: Perhaps the dealer is caught in the middle, and should not be viewed as harshly as I did here. Perhaps Mercedes-Benz's Uber Management should accept responsibility for the promises they expect from their Foreign Country Clients, and ultimately local Dealers. I am getting fed up with CEO's looking at kids rather than real clients! Where is Mercedes Benz's credibility? I have ordered their cars in the past, based on values, and not on marketing tactics.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kar don

Thanks, that's good to know. I wonder how much of a disadvantage I have in that respect because I'm a first time Mercedes buyer. It seems a lot of the other customers are on their 5th or 10th or 15th car (often because they buy as a family) and are "VIP" customers.

Meanwhile, my wife and I don't have family around here (so we can't get credit/position for their car purchases) and this is our first Mercedes. So we're far from VIP customers.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

PO number turns into VIN number.

Hi Everyone,

A dealer does not have a car unless it has a PO number, this is a 10 digit number that starts with 077(indicates 07 model year).

Today for instance we have PO numbers on our inventory for cars that will go into production by March. A car promised for May should have a PO now with a March production date. A car can be printed out with the PO number showing all the "ordered" colors and equipment. A car promised after May may not be on paper yet.

If they don't show you a PO this does not always mean that they don't have the car yet. We get about 30 S class PO's per month. We can't see the ones coming in April but they will be coming. The thing you want to make sure of is that you have a real car with a PO number. If a dealer is getting 5 PO's per month and have 25 orders for the car then it's going to take 5 months just to get the car ordered.
Any dealer can print a configure screen that shows everything you may want to order but it is not a real car until you see it with a PO number. At some point in 2007 the factory will shut down 07 production and start tooling up for 08 production.

Hopes this adds some clarity to the ordering process.

Greg Weiler
Old 01-10-2007, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by 2007sclass.com
Hi Everyone,

A dealer does not have a car unless it has a PO number, this is a 10 digit number that starts with 077(indicates 07 model year).

Today for instance we have PO numbers on our inventory for cars that will go into production by March. A car promised for May should have a PO now with a March production date. A car can be printed out with the PO number showing all the "ordered" colors and equipment. A car promised after May may not be on paper yet.

If they don't show you a PO this does not always mean that they don't have the car yet. We get about 30 S class PO's per month. We can't see the ones coming in April but they will be coming. The thing you want to make sure of is that you have a real car with a PO number. If a dealer is getting 5 PO's per month and have 25 orders for the car then it's going to take 5 months just to get the car ordered.
Any dealer can print a configure screen that shows everything you may want to order but it is not a real car until you see it with a PO number. At some point in 2007 the factory will shut down 07 production and start tooling up for 08 production.

Greg Weiler

Pretty much sums it up.

If mercedes has to "shut down production" and "tool up" for 2008 production, they have some pretty lousy processes in place. If they were a good manufacturer they should be able to cruise right through to the next model year even with all minor changes.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by 2007sclass.com
Hi Everyone,

Greg Weiler
Thanks for the information. That doesn't sound very positive for me, since I've asked for confirmation that my order has been scheduled, and I still haven't gotten it. It sounds like from what you're saying, I'm probably now looking at an April build at the earliest? If you've already gotten your March allocation assigned to you, presumably my dealer has as well.

This is a small dealership, I think. They probably don't have as many S-class slots per month.

Hmmm, so I guess I'll get my car in May, June or July. Not March/April as I was originally told.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:02 PM

So what do the acronyms DDR and ALT mean in the ordering process?
Old 01-13-2007, 10:15 AM

'12 ML350
Just spoke to my rep at the dealer.

Apparently, the one item that may be holding up my production slot is (drum roll please) the electronic trunk closer.

The reason given is shortage of parts for this option as it is over ordered.

May push delivery out 1-2 months to April/May if I stick with this option.

Confirmation of the delay to be given to me by Tuesday per rep.

Slightly annoyed...
Old 01-13-2007, 10:20 AM

Just spoke to my rep at the dealer.

Apparently, the one item that may be holding up my production slot is (drum roll please) the electronic trunk closer.

The reason given is shortage of parts for this option as it is over ordered.

May push delivery out 1-2 months to April/May if I stick with this option.

Confirmation of the delay to be given to me by Tuesday per rep.

Slightly annoyed...
Trunk closer???

I'm hearing that they are having trouble with supply of the ABC. Before I heard it was the rear shades. At one point I heard it was the night view. What is going on?

Last night I heard March production is still a possibility for my car IF they can get an ALT through (whatever that is? Alternate something, but I couldn't understand the rest of the message).
Old 01-13-2007, 06:45 PM

'12 ML350
Originally Posted by eddietr
Trunk closer???

I'm hearing that they are having trouble with supply of the ABC. Before I heard it was the rear shades. At one point I heard it was the night view. What is going on?

Last night I heard March production is still a possibility for my car IF they can get an ALT through (whatever that is? Alternate something, but I couldn't understand the rest of the message).
Hmmm....I have both the ABC and the rear side sunshades on my order as well.

Oh well, seems a fait accompli that my car will not be delivered until April or, more likely, May. My lease ends on 10 April, so I may have to look for an alternative.

Now where's my Audi rep's telephone number again?
Old 01-13-2007, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
The 2007s don't have the little silver handle that pops out to close the trunk do they? I wish they did I thought that was a cool feature.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by pmb600
The 2007s don't have the little silver handle that pops out to close the trunk do they? I wish they did I thought that was a cool feature.
I don't believe the W221 has that. Was that on the 140?
Old 01-13-2007, 11:18 PM

Hmmm....I have both the ABC and the rear side sunshades on my order as well.

Oh well, seems a fait accompli that my car will not be delivered until April or, more likely, May. My lease ends on 10 April, so I may have to look for an alternative.

Now where's my Audi rep's telephone number again?
I'd be curious to read what you decide there. My wife and I were talking about this on the way home tonight. The dealer had said there was a still a chance to get a March production, April delivery car and that he hoped to call us today with good news. We got no call today, and in this case no news is not good news.

So our options are:

1.) Pick some S550 in stock either at our dealer or through a dealer exchange. In all likelihood I think that means giving up on ABC, since I think I remember only finding one car with ABC last time I called around a bunch of dealers. Plus I'll probably lose some other 1 or 2 options from my list that way.

2.) 750Li. I trust/understand the BMW ordering process much better. I know I can get a car that way with exactly the features I want without all the mystery.

3.) the A8L. I've never ordered an Audi before, so that would be an unknown again.

Right now I'm leaning towards option #1, because I'm so sold on the S550. But dropping a $100k on a car and not getting the options you want sort of sucks.

I should add that when I put the deposit on this car, I was told March or April delivery and it was on that basis that I decided to do it. I think we've clearly missed that timeframe. And given all the confusion/mystery, I'm not sure I have any confidence in May either.

Last edited by eddietr; 01-13-2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
I'd be curious to read what you decide there. My wife and I were talking about this on the way home tonight. The dealer had said there was a still a chance to get a March production, April delivery car and that he hoped to call us today with good news. We got no call today, and in this case no news is not good news.

So our options are:

1.) Pick some S550 in stock either at our dealer or through a dealer exchange. In all likelihood I think that means giving up on ABC, since I think I remember only finding one car with ABC last time I called around a bunch of dealers. Plus I'll probably lose some other 1 or 2 options from my list that way.

2.) 750Li. I trust/understand the BMW ordering process much better. I know I can get a car that way with exactly the features I want without all the mystery.

3.) the A8L. I've never ordered an Audi before, so that would be an unknown again.

Right now I'm leaning towards option #1, because I'm so sold on the S550. But dropping a $100k on a car and not getting the options you want sort of sucks.

I should add that when I put the deposit on this car, I was told March or April delivery and it was on that basis that I decided to do it. I think we've clearly missed that timeframe. And given all the confusion/mystery, I'm not sure I have any confidence in May either.
I hate to sound like a Glauser (Westminster MB) shill...but give Greg a call and see what he has in stock now. They have a bunch of cars...whether they have a combination close to what you would have ordered I don't know but it is worth a call. You also will probably do better on price also as I remember you said you thought you paid too much. Give it a try...it cannot hurt.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
I don't believe the W221 has that. Was that on the 140?
Not sure about the W140, but that was on the W220.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I hate to sound like a Glauser (Westminster MB) shill...but give Greg a call and see what he has in stock now. They have a bunch of cars...whether they have a combination close to what you would have ordered I don't know but it is worth a call. You also will probably do better on price also as I remember you said you thought you paid too much. Give it a try...it cannot hurt.
Yep, thanks. I have looked closely at his two recent posts of available cars. If I go with him, I would still be giving up the ABC. I don't think any of the cars he has have ABC. Plus the hassle of getting my deposit back from the dealer and all that.

I'm looking at the website for another local dealer (American Service Center) which happens to be owned by the same owner as the dealer I'm working with and they have a designo car with an MSRP of 119,820. But they don't list the options.

(Well, they do list features but it's stupid stuff like "power mirrors", "air conditioning", "ABS", etc. If Mercedes dealers are going to go through the trouble of listing their new car inventory, why not list the actual Mercedes options???)

But I'm assuming this car must have the AMG sport pack and a bunch of other interesting options to get to $119k. If it has ABC, then my wife and I might be willing to cough up the extra cash to not have to wait.

EDIT: My wife just read this and said "Sure, if it has the suspension you want, I don't mind the extra $10k or so to get you to stop whining about not having a car.

Last edited by eddietr; 01-14-2007 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:06 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Yep, thanks. I have looked closely at his two recent posts of available cars. If I go with him, I would still be giving up the ABC. I don't think any of the cars he has have ABC. Plus the hassle of getting my deposit back from the dealer and all that.

I'm looking at the website for another local dealer (American Service Center) which happens to be owned by the same owner as the dealer I'm working with and they have a designo car with an MSRP of 119,820. But they don't list the options.

(Well, they do list features but it's stupid stuff like "power mirrors", "air conditioning", "ABS", etc. If Mercedes dealers are going to go through the trouble of listing their new car inventory, why not list the actual Mercedes options???)

But I'm assuming this car must have the AMG sport pack and a bunch of other interesting options to get to $119k. If it has ABC, then my wife and I might be willing to cough up the extra cash to not have to wait.
Who's dumb enough to think that an S-Class doesn't have power seats, mirrors, windows? Those are standard on just about all cars now.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by AsianML
Who's dumb enough to think that an S-Class doesn't have power seats, mirrors, windows? Those are standard on just about all cars now.
Well, it doesn't stop there! This particular $119k S550 has a TRIP ODOMETER.

I mean, how cool is that? This website has definitely sold me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes ordering process?