S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Who pays MSRP?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Excellent points! However, specific to the 07 S550 it is not yet available for ED and MB Club of America does not currently offer any loyalty rewards for it.

FYI
6/1/06 – 12/31/06 MBCA loyalty rewards. One year membership ($45 annual membership fee) preceding the purchase date required. One rebate per calendar year, no AMG models are eligible. Program rewards can be combined with any and all MBUSA special programs and/or incentives. MY06 – S, and CL $2500 all models; MY06 & 07 – R, E, CLK, SLK $2000; M, GL, C $1500; G, SL $2500 all models.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm afraid I paid MSRP on my LP640 also because I am such a world-class snob who is just dumb and not qualified to post an innocent comment without the snob police all over me. I beg all of you for your forgiveness

Just unwrapped before the PDI:
http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/521/5zd9.jpg

Winter driving:
http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/6...004copycu3.jpg

So what kind of mentality do I have to own and drive such an impractical car?
Old 04-05-2007, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Murciélago LP640? Impractical? How can anyone call a Volkswagen impractical? You made a wise choice. It is one busta of a car.

They were nice enough to loan us a roadster for "Batman Begins", and while it had the "small engine" {sic} it sure was fuuunnnnn to drive.

Why was it in the movie? Murciélago means Bat in Spanish.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:10 AM

1993 190E 2.6
MSRP SUGGESTED!!! Retail, price. ITs like a guidline.

Now, for anyone who has SO much money, they litteraly burn it in the streets by not eveing asking for a better deal. Please click the link in my sig. Thanks. Your disposable income can go towards a good cause.

Seriosly guys. MSRP is what the car is suggested to be worth. Basically if you want to pay 100K for a 84K car. You can, if its worth it to you toy pay 16K over MSRP. But, if you can get the same car for less money, why not. Getting the 84k car for 81,500 still makes it worth 100K in your heart. only now you have 28,500 for MODS!
Old 04-05-2007, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by zzoorrkk
MSRP, because I consider the S a luxury automobile. As such, I do not haggle price; just as I would not haggle price on Louis Vuitton. If I want it, I get it.
Why are some of you so judgemental over my response to the original post? What qualifies you to be such an expert on life to judge me on how I live my life? Did I impose the values I believe in onto anyone? No. I simply stated what I did and what I believe in. You can simply disagree with my views on paying MSRP, but you do not need to say I am dumb or snobbish.

Yes, I pay MSRP. So? It's my money, I work hard to earn it. I'll spend it on whatever and however it makes me happy.

To each his own.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:31 AM

1993 190E 2.6
I cant spell. Im sorry.

Im not saying you are dumb. But, if you work hard for your money, why not save it where you can. I work for a non profit. There are a lot of people who could use some of the money you "waste". Its great you have the luxery to spend extra money on things, that you could have gotten for less. But why?

I bet bill gates negotiates price on anything that he thinks he can. He'll probably never run out of money. But why "waste" it.

To each thier own.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Why are some of you so judgemental over my response to the original post? What qualifies you to be such an expert on life to judge me on how I live my life? Did I impose the values I believe in onto anyone? No. I simply stated what I did and what I believe in. You can simply disagree with my views on paying MSRP, but you do not need to say I am dumb or snobbish.

Yes, I pay MSRP. So? It's my money, I work hard to earn it. I'll spend it on whatever and however it makes me happy.

To each his own.
What qualifies us to be such experts on life? Dude - Is there something wrong with you? I would expect a lot more from someone that has worked so hard in life to afford Lambos and one that burns cash in the fireplace. We are saying you are behaving dumb / snobby / wastefull by actually or telling the forum that you always pay MSRP eventhough you can probably get a discount. On the lambo - u could have taken some serious discounts! Is it because you want the dealer to kiss ur behind when you come in ? "Oh look , here is so and so who paid MSRP....... everyone, stand up......... now bow down............." thats NOT what they are sayin dude. (IF YOU ACTUALLY ARE THE OWNER OF THAT LAMBO.....) They are more likely saying "Here comes the shmuck......... lets try to sell him something else? Quick, someone tell him that his lambo will fail without the "extra special cleaning package" - u know, the one where if u dont use a microtoothbrush to clean underneath the car and inside the gas tank - the car will fail after 3000 miles"

You are either or eitherway this forum would like to give you a
Old 04-05-2007, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels

To each his own.
are you the second coming of ClayJ ? you know, the guy that has more money then Oprah and Bill Gates put together. GM's in every corner of the world and a stable of cars that can only be photografed by NASA's camera.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 S430, 2004 Cobra, 2004 Tahoe
With the internet nowadays, buyers know there's always room to move, but sometimes not as much as the buyer would like. I think often times buyers forget that the sales people have to make a living too and arent always trying to screw you over b/c they're asking MSRP. There's also the supply and demand effect versus the want/need effect. If your dealer has the car you want, when you want, then that car is worth as much as you're willing to pay for it.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
I'm sorry, I just don't understand why someone would do that. Even the rich people on this forum, like Magwheel who's owned like 10 super cars (and proved it), have negotiated on cars. I was once at Manhattan Motorcars - the dealership for Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Lotus, Lamborghini, Porsche and others in New York city, and one thing that the salesman said to me that stuck was - "Rich people have money, but they're not stupid - you can't rip them off". It's true, someone who owns a business who knows about profit, profit margins, market rates, and just a business sense would never pay MSRP, they know more than anyone how to convince someone or negotiate to get what they want (unless inherited). I mean a Donald Trump, Sam Walton could probably get you the best deal on a Mercedes-Benz.

I don't know, for someone who drives a Lambo, not quite the typical 'hard-working, business minded person', I expected. But hey, if that's what you like to do, then cool. By the way, even musicians/celebrities get discounts on their cars for appearing for photo shoots or using their celebrity to market them.

Tee_Tz.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by tee_tz
I'm sorry, I just don't understand why someone would do that. Even the rich people on this forum, like Magwheel who's owned like 10 super cars (and proved it), have negotiated on cars. I was once at Manhattan Motorcars - the dealership for Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Lotus, Lamborghini, Porsche and others in New York city, and one thing that the salesman said to me that stuck was - "Rich people have money, but they're not stupid - you can't rip them off". It's true, someone who owns a business who knows about profit, profit margins, market rates, and just a business sense would never pay MSRP, they know more than anyone how to convince someone or negotiate to get what they want (unless inherited). I mean a Donald Trump, Sam Walton could probably get you the best deal on a Mercedes-Benz.

I don't know, for someone who drives a Lambo, not quite the typical 'hard-working, business minded person', I expected. But hey, if that's what you like to do, then cool. By the way, even musicians/celebrities get discounts on their cars for appearing for photo shoots or using their celebrity to market them.

Tee_Tz.
Hey Tee_Tz - Im from NY too.
One day when we have a mercedes meet - you should come.

Anyways - we shouldnt sweat this anymore - this guy is obviously a bull **** artist anyway. All talk - and some pictures that may be something from the internet. Lets move on - and let this foolish guy pay whatever he wants to pay. At least it doesnt come from our pockets - afterall - we are smart
Old 04-05-2007, 03:05 PM

In Internet terminology, a troll is someone who intentionally posts derogatory or otherwise inflammatory messages about sensitive topics in an established online community such as an online discussion forum to bait users into responding.

Yoyop, your thread got highjacked right after I posted my response to your question. I searched those users past posts in this forum and others, and found many occasions when they have no respect and like to trash talk people.

To each his own. Yoyop, good luck with the S550; hope you get a good deal
Old 04-05-2007, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by Chucky300
Hey Tee_Tz - Im from NY too.
One day when we have a mercedes meet - you should come.

Anyways - we shouldnt sweat this anymore - this guy is obviously a bull **** artist anyway. All talk - and some pictures that may be something from the internet. Lets move on - and let this foolish guy pay whatever he wants to pay. At least it doesnt come from our pockets - afterall - we are smart
Yeah, I'll come to the next New York meet, let me know!

But I hope it's not just S550's, S600's and my little C-Class...

Tee_Tz.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E53

Tee_Tz.
yo man, then you will stand out. better yet, take your BMW. hahaha maybe I will drive up in my toyota truck too.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Banned

2014 S550

In Internet terminology, a troll is someone who intentionally posts derogatory or otherwise inflammatory messages about sensitive topics in an established online community such as an online discussion forum to bait users into responding.

Yoyop, your thread got highjacked right after I posted my response to your question. I searched those users past posts in this forum and others, and found many occasions when they have no respect and like to trash talk people.

To each his own. Yoyop, good luck with the S550; hope you get a good deal
Oh yes - definitely.. we are the trolls here.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Banned

2014 S550

Tee_Tz.
He he, naw. at these meets....... any/all MBs come. Also - we have friends that come in other cars too. Sometimes Porsche, Bentley. I always consider these meets to be mini car shows. If it were only MBs .... it would be a bit boring anyway!
Old 04-05-2007, 06:06 PM

Wow, sorry this turned into a crazy topic. I guess the consensus is that most people do negotiate up from the invoice price. And to each his own

Side question, am I correct to assume that if the car is ordered to my spec, it's less likely I can negotiate?

Thanks all.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by yoyop
Side question, am I correct to assume that if the car is ordered to my spec, it's less likely I can negotiate?

Thanks all.
I think u can still negotiate down. Why not. Remmeber - if an option cost $3000 to the msrp - the dealer is paying probably $2200 I think. I dont know the exact %........ but sure - u can definetly try.
Assume on a $105,000 car....... try to get it for under $100K..... or at leat at that level. Depending....... $5000 is a nice discount $3000 - $6000 has been an average.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by yoyop
Absolutely not. The dealer does put emphasis on moving the cars already on their lot however, by no means think you cannot get an exceptional deal when placing a new (customized) order.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 C63s, 2021 E63s Estate
I've never paid MSRP for any car I've purchased. It's just not something I do. I'll wait for the market to soften before I purchase the vehicle I want.

I always find a happy medium whereby I feel I'm being fair to the salesperson, and the dealership. Some cars I've negotiated as low as 1K over invoice, and some I've done 1K under MSRP. It depends on the car, and the market.

I'm an informed buyer, and I make the sales process as easy as possible. I know the configuration down to the options and the pricing. The sales person simply has to relay the order to his manager, and they process the order. Everyone generally walks away happy. They feel like they made an easy sale, and they discounted the vehicle to the point where I'm happy with it. I negotiated a pretty good discount on the CLK63 (when it arrives!), and once again, am happy. I probably could have received even more of a discount if I was willing to take a model they had on the lot.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:42 PM

1993 190E 2.6
Dealers have to move so many "Units" IF the dealer can sell you a "Unit" and still make money on it. Then he will. Always haggle.

And yes, do keep in mind that salesmen have to make a living. But, If I ever made car ments, I would not want the next 3 months of my car payments going into his pocket.

By saying I dont make car payment in no way means im rich. I just dont buy what I cant afford to pay cash for. My car cost less then your rims. And Im very content with it
Old 04-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Play nice kids, remember there are rules regarding respect.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:47 AM
JLP

06 E-55-95-F355S- 99 Porsche 911 C2 w mods
Originally Posted by Chucky300
Lets move on - and let this foolish guy pay whatever he wants to pay. At least it doesnt come from our pockets - afterall - we are smart
You mean your PARENTS pockets right Chucky?
Old 04-07-2007, 01:17 AM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by JLP
You mean your PARENTS pockets right Chucky?
Jealousy is a very ugly thing......... im sorry you have it in you. Last year - my company netted enough to buy this car..... who cares who pays for it? Same pocket - Family money dude......
Old 04-07-2007, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp

To each his own.
You're a salesmans dream! Move to NYC...you'll be broke in no time. Do you pay the asking price for a home and accept the first mortgage rate you get for that home?

I'm trying to imagine what you do that could make you that kind of money with little or no business savy. If you do make as much money at you elude to, you'd probably make more and have more.

It boils down to this...if you make as much as you

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who pays MSRP?