S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Electrical Problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical Problems?

hey guys my dad has a 1997 S500 and hes looking for a new car, I suggested the new S class but he is leaning more towards the 7 series because of electrical problems hes had since the beginning. the seat warmers dont work, windows dont work, and other small problems. my uncle also has these problems in his CLK. I was just wondering if these cars were lemons or has anyone had any problems with their S-classes or any other benzes.

thanks
Old 04-08-2007, 08:39 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
'97 S500

Originally Posted by sasan
hey guys my dad has a 1997 S500 and hes looking for a new car, I suggested the new S class but he is leaning more towards the 7 series because of electrical problems hes had since the beginning. the seat warmers dont work, windows dont work, and other small problems. my uncle also has these problems in his CLK. I was just wondering if these cars were lemons or has anyone had any problems with their S-classes or any other benzes.

thanks
That old '97 is a 140 which is well known as "maintenance intensive". Has he had the almost universal $5000 AC repair yet? The new S-Classes are so far very reliable, according to the dealer's mechanics.

Even the new 7-series is rather hard on the eyes and the resale value must be in the dumper. My dealer has had an '04 760IL off-lease trade-in for months which they can't get rid of, looks like. Very big, very black, very sale-proof.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:16 AM

Don't bother with the Benz very unreliable check JD power and Consumer Reports. The BMW may look bad but you won't be at the dealer as often.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by rieger
Don't bother with the Benz very unreliable check JD power and Consumer Reports. The BMW may look bad but you won't be at the dealer as often.
You mean Consumer Reports comparing the W221 and the current BMW 7-series? Perhaps you cannot avoid a dealer visit for a sporadic issue on a W221 but I wouldn't expect less visits with a 7-series.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:51 AM

McLaren 570S, G12 BMW 750Li, GLE63s AMG Coupe
And i bet rieger has had owned both the W221 and the 7-series to provide such an enlightened opinion. Keep the coming mate...next you'll be telling us how many S65s you've seen on the roadside with their hoods up!!!!
Old 04-23-2007, 05:21 PM

did I say the current 221 no but if the previous S-class and current E-class is any indication then probably it is garbage. The current 7 series I haven't driven and I didn't say it was unreliable. But had a bmw 540i which I liked. Doctor whatever you should learn to read the post properly before you tell people that they are BSing. You probably just one of those owners who like to tell your other Doctor friends that you have a merc and know nothing about cars.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
You mean Consumer Reports comparing the W221 and the current BMW 7-series? Perhaps you cannot avoid a dealer visit for a sporadic issue on a W221 but I wouldn't expect less visits with a 7-series.
I live in Canada and the w221 is a rust bucket. I had to wait 6months to get it repaired under goodwill because MB has a policy that they can only authorize 2 S-class rust repairs per week at their bodyshop. The bodyshop showed me that they were fully booked for the six months because of the rusting on the S-class. If you don't believe me do a search on google regarding S-class rusting and also E-class rusting on the older E-class.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
did I say the current 221 no but if the previous S-class and current E-class is any indication then probably it is garbage. The current 7 series I haven't driven and I didn't say it was unreliable. But had a bmw 540i which I liked. Doctor whatever you should learn to read the post properly before you tell people that they are BSing. You probably just one of those owners who like to tell your other Doctor friends that you have a merc and know nothing about cars.
It is obvious by your post you do not know S*** about the W221. If you did you would know from just reading this forum that the car has been superb mechanically. I am not aware of anyone who has had a significant complaint about the W221.

And as far as depending on JD Powers and Consumer Reports for your information...that only certifies the fact that you are a troll looking for responses. Well you got a good one from dr.skp.ortho which I think fits your profile.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:08 PM

Agree with NJ on this, my 221 has had no problems so far. Which is remarkable considering all the possible things that could go wrong with the various options I have.

But [knock on wood] nothing but fun so far. I'll keep you guys posted as the mileage increases, which it will very quickly because I drive it all the time now. It's hard to go back to the other cars (except for the GT3 of course )
Old 04-23-2007, 10:25 PM

And I got one from you too. Hey sh** for brains read it again I said that IF THE W220 IS ANY INDICATION THEN THE W221 WOULD NOT BE RELIABLE.
Look at how MB launched the car with such fanfare when they tried to demonstrate the laser cruise control and slammed their w221's into their own cars. Blamed it on the fog. So you tell me the W221 is reliable I say only time will tell.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

And I got one from you too. Hey sh** for brains read it again I said that IF THE W220 IS ANY INDICATION THEN THE W221 WOULD NOT BE RELIABLE.
Look at how MB launched the car with such fanfare when they tried to demonstrate the laser cruise control and slammed their w221's into their own cars. Blamed it on the fog. So you tell me the W221 is reliable I say only time will tell.
that's only because they forgot to turn it on and they didn't tell the driver!!!!!
Old 04-23-2007, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Again you prove your ignorance. If you did the research you would find the driver of the W221 failed to activate the system.

BTW my W221 is over a year old now and has over 11,000 miles on it...it is perfect! When you grow up you may be lucky enough to ride in one, but with your attitude you will never be able to afford one.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:31 PM

I live in Canada and the w221 is a rust bucket. I had to wait 6months to get it repaired under goodwill because MB has a policy that they can only authorize 2 S-class rust repairs per week at their bodyshop. The bodyshop showed me that they were fully booked for the six months because of the rusting on the S-class. If you don't believe me do a search on google regarding S-class rusting and also E-class rusting on the older E-class.
So your 221 was rusting? How many miles? And do you have pictures of this? Has it rusted again after the repair?
Old 04-23-2007, 11:02 PM

My apologies didn't mean w221 I meant w220 I have 2001 S430. Not when I grow up but maybe when I get old like you I may want to boast that I have a big Mercedes. What is up with you arrogant southern americans? only thinking that you guys have the money to buy this rubbish. You guys talk like that then think why does the world hate us americans?

Last edited by rieger; 04-23-2007 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My apologies didn't mean w221 I meant w220 I have 2001 S430. Not when I grow up but maybe when I get old like you I may want to boast that I have a big Mercedes. What is up with you arrogant southern americans? only thinking that you guys have the money to buy this rubbish. You guys talk like that then think why does the world hate us americans?
Close the thread Kar don...and think about banning this jerk!
Old 04-23-2007, 11:50 PM

You and dr.skp.ortho are the ones who started the name calling telling me I don't know **** and saying I was Bsing and now you want to ban me you got to be kidding. You can dish it but can't take it. I was stating my experience with MB and you guys are the ones who said all the sh** so don't go blaming me for the hostilities. This is a forum for positive and negative experiences and last I looked this is not some communist run forum even though you try to make it so.
And look at the first thread the person asked if there were any others with the same problems with their S-class and I replied that I also had similiar problems and so has others obviously as JD Power and other have noted and yet you guys are saying I am BSing so if you can't take the truth the don't go telling others to shut their mouth.

Last edited by rieger; 04-23-2007 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
I just wanted to say after having the 760li last year with a full AC Schnitzer kit, rims, that it would break necks, people everywhere checked it out, the S550, won't do that as easily, nor the S500, or the S65, and I don't understand that either.

The interior of the Benz is the best out of them (W221) The service issues with the BMW are ungodly, squeeky brakes, I Drive not working, Habic controller not controlling, modules failing, transmission failure, broken rear axle... all of this I could live with, the part that i couldn't is the service department and the techs. Complete morons. They would break something trying to fix another. But as for the 221, the best luxury vehicle out there in my mind.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:10 PM

You and dr.skp.ortho are the ones who started the name calling telling me I don't know **** and saying I was Bsing and now you want to ban me you got to be kidding. You can dish it but can't take it. I was stating my experience with MB and you guys are the ones who said all the sh** so don't go blaming me for the hostilities. This is a forum for positive and negative experiences and last I looked this is not some communist run forum even though you try to make it so.
And look at the first thread the person asked if there were any others with the same problems with their S-class and I replied that I also had similiar problems and so has others obviously as JD Power and other have noted and yet you guys are saying I am BSing so if you can't take the truth the don't go telling others to shut their mouth.
I can smell this manure all the way down under! And as far as dishing it and not taking it....you aint served up anything.....now why not go to benzworld.org and tell all the folks over there how your s550 rusted after an alpaca pissed on it when u were cruising in the Andes!

Oh and as far as talking to my Doctor friends...yes a few have the w221 and guess what troglodyte....they havent rusted yet!?
Old 04-25-2007, 01:17 PM

At least merc had the fog to blame....so what are you blamed on?
Old 04-25-2007, 01:23 PM

As a NON-AMERICAN i can tell you the world doesn't hate americans....but some certainly don't do your sort any favors rieger! Any idea why that could be dips**t?
Old 04-25-2007, 08:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Ok lets all relax...

OP best bet would be to wait a while (though at the present rate features are slowly dissapearing)

or just jump andd pray, so far I haven't read any complaints at all that were major. Small things like the dealer forgetting to include mats or something really minor
in either case

What ever you get enjoy it!
I've driven a w221 and its ride is godly!
lol
Old 04-26-2007, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
I see you're just determined NOT to use facts in any of your rants. The incident you speak of was not done by MB, but by a magazine. Secondly they tried to simulate what Distronic Plus would do by having a person step on the brakes at the right moment since MB told the magazine that Distronic wouldnt work inside a facility such as the one they were testing it. Does everything have to be spelled out for you? The driver of the S550 didn't step on the brake because when the S-Class rolled over the board that was placed under the carpet, he didn't feel it and thus he slammed into the car in front of him. Distronic Plus WAS NEVER ACTIVATED.

Apply a little common sense guy. If this option was so faulty it would be all over the news and Mercedes would be getting roasted and sued left and right considering how many W221s they've sold since last March with this feature. Yet you don't hear of any incidents with this feature. Now you say that people here don't want to believe that Mercedes has had problems, and likewise it seems you can't believe or even entertain the notion that MB may have turned the reliability corner with the W221. They surely have turned the corner when it comes to build quality, the S and CL prove that much at least, even before all the reliability surveys come out.

Research what actually happened, and you'll see that you're likely of the same mindset of the editor that decided to proceed with the test anyway, after MB told him that the system wasn't designed to work inside such an enclosure or that it wasn't designed to be used in fog. He was out to prove something about Mercedes and for his stupidity he was fired with egg on his face. While Mercedes has had the last laugh with record S-Class sales all over the world. Then you have to ask yourself, what type of person would use cruise control of any kind in heavy fog, only an idiot.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 04-27-2007 at 02:28 AM.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Germancar1
I see you're just determined NOT to use facts in any of your rants. The incident you speak of was not done by MB, but by a magazine. Secondly they tried to simulate what Distronic Plus would do by having a person step on the brakes at the right moment since MB told the magazine that Distronic wouldnt work inside a facility such as the one they were testing it. Does everything have to be spelled out for you? The driver of the S550 didn't step on the brake because when the S-Class rolled over the board that was placed under the carpet, he didn't feel it and thus he slammed into the car in front of him. Distronic Plus WAS NEVER ACTIVATED.

Apply a little common sense guy. If this option was so faulty it would be all over the news and Mercedes would be getting roasted and sued left and right considering how many W221s they've sold since last March with this feature. Yet you don't hear of any incidents with this feature. Now you say that people here don't want to believe that Mercedes has had problems, and likewise it seems you can't believe or even entertain the notion that MB may have turned the reliability corner with the W221. They surely have turned the corner when it comes to build quality, the S and CL prove that much at least, even before all the reliability surveys come out.

Research what actually happened, and you'll see that you're likely of the same mindset of the editor that decided to proceed with the test anyway, after MB told him that the system wasn't designed to work inside such an enclosure or that it wasn't designed to be used in fog. He was out to prove something about Mercedes and for his stupidity he was fired with egg on his face. While Mercedes has had the last laugh with record S-Class sales all over the world. Then you have to ask yourself, what type of person would put use cruise control of any kind in heavy fog, only an idiot.

M

Sir,

The answer to your last question is undoubtedly Rieger.

Regards,

SKP
Old 04-29-2007, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by dr.skp.ortho
Sir,

The answer to your last question is undoubtedly Rieger.

Regards,

SKP
Grow up you dumbass. If you want to point something out like germancar1 then go right ahead but if you want to do the name calling then atleast add something useful before you do so.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:37 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Grow up you dumbass. If you want to point something out like germancar1 then go right ahead but if you want to do the name calling then atleast add something useful before you do so.
how dare you talk to Nevada jack and other in that manner. GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE. You are not welcome here - and no one wants ANYTHING to do with someone that could EVER talk to someone the way you have just done. You are a complete disgrace and I feel bad that my good friends here had to be exposed to you. I sincerely hope he will not post again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Electrical Problems?