S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 S550 and 07 GL450
Windshield replacement

My windshield got a rock chip a few days ago, and just in a couple of days the thing has manage to spread about 10-12 inches. Spoke with a glass repairman and they said it's to long to be repaired and needs to be replaced. Has any one had to do this before? I know it needs to be replaced I just hate that now I'll have to be concerned about the integrity and seals etc.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by PurpleHaze
My windshield got a rock chip a few days ago, and just in a couple of days the thing has manage to spread about 10-12 inches. Spoke with a glass repairman and they said it's to long to be repaired and needs to be replaced. Has any one had to do this before? I know it needs to be replaced I just hate that now I'll have to be concerned about the integrity and seals etc.
I had the same situation. My local dealer does their own install of factory glass on site and did a great job...no sign of the windshield being replaced. Price including labor was about $1200 and insurance took care of it minus my deductible.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:44 AM

08 S550 and 07 GL450
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I had the same situation. My local dealer does their own install of factory glass on site and did a great job...no sign of the windshield being replaced. Price including labor was about $1200 and insurance took care of it minus my deductible.
Thanks Nevada Jack, I plan to contact my dealer on Monday and I'll have to do the same pay my deductible.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by PurpleHaze
Thanks Nevada Jack, I plan to contact my dealer on Monday and I'll have to do the same pay my deductible.
I have read a few threads about windshield replacement and some have mentioned that in some states, insurance companies are required to pay for a damaged windshield without charging you the standard deductible. You might want to look into this. I had a small chip as well but they repaired it and did a fantastic job.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:36 AM

2011 BMW 750 Individual, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Arctic Edition
I had mine replaced a few weeks ago (car has 5,000 miles). I had the MB Dealer do the job, paid for it with my credit card, and had the insurance company send me a check. Why? With my last S500, I had a local glass repair shop come to my office and replace the windshield. They ruined the fabric on one of the pillars, and the glass was 100% not MB glass. The UV protection was not the same, and it was a very noticable difference.

Go to the dealer!!!
Old 04-29-2007, 09:37 AM

08 S550 and 07 GL450
Originally Posted by Taurian
I had mine replaced a few weeks ago (car has 5,000 miles). I had the MB Dealer do the job, paid for it with my credit card, and had the insurance company send me a check. Why? With my last S500, I had a local glass repair shop come to my office and replace the windshield. They ruined the fabric on one of the pillars, and the glass was 100% not MB glass. The UV protection was not the same, and it was a very noticable difference.

Go to the dealer!!!
Thanks Taurian for the info. I agree my insurance company had safelite auto glass call me and the rep told me that they used some aftermarket glass, and of course i told them no thanks. If i have to come out of pocket and pay the deductible I may as well go to the dealer and get it done right.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:27 AM

2007 E350 Sport Obsidian Black & 2005 Cadillac Escalade
For those of you who are interested, I just had this invisible film applied to the windshield of my new E-Class called "Clear Plex". Living in the Kansas City area, winters can be brutal to your windshield with the loose gravel. I think I paid $130 & it is completely un-noticable. Also prevents scratches your wipers can cause. At least now I'm not constantly worried about every rock that flies off of the trucks in front of me. I'm definitely sold on the product. It only took them about 15 minutes to apply it. Check the following website:

http://clearplex.com/
Old 04-30-2007, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by tlbeedy
For those of you who are interested, I just had this invisible film applied to the windshield of my new E-Class called "Clear Plex". Living in the Kansas City area, winters can be brutal to your windshield with the loose gravel. I think I paid $130 & it is completely un-noticable. Also prevents scratches your wipers can cause. At least now I'm not constantly worried about every rock that flies off of the trucks in front of me. I'm definitely sold on the product. It only took them about 15 minutes to apply it. Check the following website:

http://clearplex.com/
Is this anything like diamond fusing your windshield?
Old 04-30-2007, 03:24 PM

2007 E350 Sport Obsidian Black & 2005 Cadillac Escalade
Originally Posted by pmb600
Is this anything like diamond fusing your windshield?
Not quite sure what diamond fusing is, but they apply the hard crystal clear film similar to the way they install the clear bra on the front end. They then use heat guns to form it to the windshield. It is easily removable in the event it becomes damaged & needs to be replaced. Defintely worth the $130 for peace of mind. I've heard nothing but good things from people who have had it on their cars longer than I have.