S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Command updates for MY '08

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 S430, 2004 Cobra, 2004 Tahoe
Command updates for MY '08

Thought you guys would appreciate some of these updates...

• Real Time Traffic Functionality
• Display includes Bird’s Eye View Map and Distance/Time to Destination
• DVD Video Capability in the Headunit
• Audio/Video Auxiliary Inputs in the Glovebox
• Functionality of Telephone Keypad now for Audio System Input
• Search-by-Memory for the Multifunction Steering Wheel
• SIRIUS Satellite Radio as standard equipment for S-Class

(These do not apply to early production S63 and CL63's)
Old 06-06-2007, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by Blk04cobra1
Thought you guys would appreciate some of these updates...

• Real Time Traffic Functionality
• Display includes Bird’s Eye View Map and Distance/Time to Destination
• DVD Video Capability in the Headunit
• Audio/Video Auxiliary Inputs in the Glovebox
• Functionality of Telephone Keypad now for Audio System Input
• Search-by-Memory for the Multifunction Steering Wheel
• SIRIUS Satellite Radio as standard equipment for S-Class

(These do not apply to early production S63 and CL63's)
Interesting, real time traffic info and DVD video have been available in Europe from 2005 (W221) but would this navi feature appear with a navi DVD update or is there a HW change involved? I've heard this mentioned for the W204 but have not heard about 2008 W221.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
My guess is that Mercedes is playing it safe by going slow with all this "stuff" in order to ensure a smooth launch. It looks like it has paid off going by the new JDP info released today.

M
Old 06-06-2007, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 S600, 14 SL550
It would be interesting to know if MY 07 221 can be updated? Has anybody pursued that?
Old 06-07-2007, 08:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It is my understanding the some of the changes require a different head unit. However, some may be possible with a re-flash. I also think the early production S and CL63 models, which do not have these features, gives some indication as to whether they are easilyadded. If it were easy, it seems MBUSA would have flashed these features into these early cars. Instead, they gave them an IPOD kit and a $$ credit.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:43 PM

2007 ML500
i think that features such as traffic would require a new headunit, while birds eye view could be software. The telephone keypad as audio controls could maybe be software too, if the keypad itself doesn't have other buttons.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:49 AM

2007 S550
I'm going to go ahead and make it very clear to MB-USA that I want my '07 updated to the best of their abilities. The COMMAND Nav system leaves something to be desired when compared to current offerings from Audi, Lexus, Acura and Infinity. It's nowhere near as intuitive as the Japanese touch-screens or Audi's MMI (it is however better than BMW's iDrive). The COMMAND Nav looks bland and colorless next to its competitors. Realtime traffic monitoring and 3D birdseye view should have been in place since day one. For that reason, I came real close to buying an LS460L instead of the Benz.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by R&DJim
For that reason, I came real close to buying an LS460L instead of the Benz.
Oh please don't say that. I know a better NAV would be great, but to buy a Lexus for Nav and accept bland styling efforts? Not worth it! I rather have the bland NAV system that most people probably use only 20% of the time.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I'm going to go ahead and make it very clear to MB-USA that I want my '07 updated to the best of their abilities. The COMMAND Nav system leaves something to be desired when compared to current offerings from Audi, Lexus, Acura and Infinity. It's nowhere near as intuitive as the Japanese touch-screens or Audi's MMI (it is however better than BMW's iDrive). The COMMAND Nav looks bland and colorless next to its competitors. Realtime traffic monitoring and 3D birdseye view should have been in place since day one. For that reason, I came real close to buying an LS460L instead of the Benz.
Good if someone tries to find out what really can be done and not just what the dealers are willing to let us have. Please keep us informed.

However, I'm not personally after the bird's eye view, I never use it on the devices that support it. Wouldn't bother me if it was supported though, for those who want to use it.

When you say the other brands have a more colourful navi, I tend to interpret that like "the American taste against the European taste", MB does not want the car look like a Christmas tree. I believe you mean something different, meaningful use of colours likely.

I don't like touch screens, I don't want mine or others fingerprints on my navi display. Voice control should be better than touch screen.

Real time traffic monitoring was there from day 1, or even before that (it was available in many European countries when W221 was launched and it was launched in Europe before the US). So this is not a HW issue but more of the map data base support and capability to use the local traffic info source.

I guess you can see that I'm only trying to say that the W221 navi isn't too bad at all even if it can be improved.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:48 PM

2007 S550
I stopped by the dealership today and had conversations with some SA's and a gentleman in the parts department re: the 2008 COMMAND updates. As expected, they knew very little about the MY '08 and which, if any, options will be available to us (the '07 crowd). I was also told that many Euro features (such as digital TV thought the COMMAND screen) have all the hardware in place on US-spec cars, but not connected. Realtime traffic has been out in Europe ever since the W221 went on sale there almost two years ago. No one seems to know for sure.

The consensus seems to be wait and see, but I asked the SA to fill out some paperwork that showed I was interested and that they authorized to call me when they find out any news. Hopefully such inquiries will move "up the ladder" to MBUSA if enough people show interest. The parts guy told me that MB will choose when and which options to release based on the demand; therefore we all have a mission. Contact your respective SA's and let them know you want it.

I am also drafting a letter to MBUSA. I think contacting them directly might help light a fire under this thing and get the ball moving. We all took a decent risk by buying early models of an all-new Mercedes (given DaimlerChrysler's recent history). We missed out on a number of features MB omitted just to the US launch of the W221 would go smoothly. I think it's time we should be given fair access to all the new toys.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
I stopped by the dealership today and had conversations with some SA's and a gentleman in the parts department re: the 2008 COMMAND updates. As expected, they knew very little about the MY '08 and which, if any, options will be available to us (the '07 crowd). I was also told that many Euro features (such as digital TV thought the COMMAND screen) have all the hardware in place on US-spec cars, but not connected. Realtime traffic has been out in Europe ever since the W221 went on sale there almost two years ago. No one seems to know for sure.

The consensus seems to be wait and see, but I asked the SA to fill out some paperwork that showed I was interested and that they authorized to call me when they find out any news. Hopefully such inquiries will move "up the ladder" to MBUSA if enough people show interest. The parts guy told me that MB will choose when and which options to release based on the demand; therefore we all have a mission. Contact your respective SA's and let them know you want it.

I am also drafting a letter to MBUSA. I think contacting them directly might help light a fire under this thing and get the ball moving. We all took a decent risk by buying early models of an all-new Mercedes (given DaimlerChrysler's recent history). We missed out on a number of features MB omitted just to the US launch of the W221 would go smoothly. I think it's time we should be given fair access to all the new toys.
A noble effort R&DJim, but MBUSA does what it thinks is best, not what the customers think is best. I can almost see the response you will get from MBUSA about "we try to provide our customers with the latest and best features based on out research and past history" or something like that. When the next Navigation DVD comes out it will contain updated map information and if we are lucky they may update the software to include a few features but I doubt things like Realtime Traffic. I hope I am wrong.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:17 PM

2007 S550
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
A noble effort R&DJim, but MBUSA does what it thinks is best, not what the customers think is best. I can almost see the response you will get from MBUSA about "we try to provide our customers with the latest and best features based on out research and past history" or something like that. When the next Navigation DVD comes out it will contain updated map information and if we are lucky they may update the software to include a few features but I doubt things like Realtime Traffic. I hope I am wrong.
I'm not expecting all of these features to magically turn up in a new map database DVD. Even if I have to pay to make up the difference, I want these options available to '07 customers.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm not expecting all of these features to magically turn up in a new map database DVD. Even if I have to pay to make up the difference, I want these options available to '07 customers.
I would also pay something for the upgrades but I think it will depend on whether the COMAND control units are the same. If they added new hardware or redesigned the unit then changes would be next to impossible and not a simple firmware/software situation. Hopefully we will soon know with the '08 release close at hand.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:01 PM

2020 GTR Roadster, 2020 GT63S
Of all the "upgrades," the only ones I would even remotely care about are the "bird's eye view" nav, and the "search by memory."

My wife's SL has the search by memory, and it a nice convenience item. I had the bird's eye view nav in my Infiniti, and it was also nice, but not that big deal.

Of the changes, these two - I think - are the most likely to be software dependent; therefore, the easiest to add. If they make it available, I would pay a little to add them - like buying a new nav dvd; otherwise, I would not bother.

We're driving phenomenal cars with or without the "upgrades."
Old 06-26-2007, 02:46 PM

2007 S550
Another nice feature I would like to see in the W221 is a "valet lock" for the COMMAND system.

When switched on, it requires a four digit PIN to access your NAV addresses (ie home), history, calendar appointments and phonebook. I drove a new Jaguar XK that had this feature.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another nice feature I would like to see in the W221 is a "valet lock" for the COMMAND system.

When switched on, it requires a four digit PIN to access your NAV addresses (ie home), history, calendar appointments and phonebook. I drove a new Jaguar XK that had this feature.
You can turn it off and hopefully the valet would not know which button to push to turn it on. But your suggestion is a valid one and would be a nice feature.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:35 PM

s550 4matic sold, BMW X05 4.8I,1999s320 sold, 2006 sl500
upgrade

Originally Posted by srice
Of all the "upgrades," the only ones I would even remotely care about are the "bird's eye view" nav, and the "search by memory."

My wife's SL has the search by memory, and it a nice convenience item. I had the bird's eye view nav in my Infiniti, and it was also nice, but not that big deal.

Of the changes, these two - I think - are the most likely to be software dependent; therefore, the easiest to add. If they make it available, I would pay a little to add them - like buying a new nav dvd; otherwise, I would not bother.

We're driving phenomenal cars with or without the "upgrades."
I know for sure my 2005 S500 had the birds eye view , quite surprised that our 2007s do not
Old 06-27-2007, 01:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Interesting thought in the valet lock for the COMAND system. My guess is MBUSA would have to double the size of their customer call center to handle all of the forgotten passwords for owners who locked themselves out of their system. I say no thanks. I'll just remove my phone and also choose not to store items on the COMAND address book. Or, park the car myself. Of the features for MY08, I would like to have the ability to play DVD videos when stopped and also use the telephone keypad for radio station inputs.