S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

ECU tuning - any horror stories or other negatives?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 SL65 45th Anniversary Edition, 2014 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
ECU tuning - any horror stories or other negatives?

I'm _this_ close to pulling the trigger on an off-brand ECU tune for my S600. Tell me why I'll regret this; what are your worst experiences or stories re: ECU tuning?

I would go with Renntech and be worry free, but I'm already getting a lot of grief on the home front for wanting to spend _even more_ money on the car. For the same $$ as Renntech I can do an off-brand ECU tune plus a $3k bauble to quiet the grumblings from my spouse.

All input welcome.

Thx,
Paul
Old 07-19-2007, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by pmrogers
I'm _this_ close to pulling the trigger on an off-brand ECU tune for my S600. Tell me why I'll regret this; what are your worst experiences or stories re: ECU tuning?

I would go with Renntech and be worry free, but I'm already getting a lot of grief on the home front for wanting to spend _even more_ money on the car. For the same $$ as Renntech I can do an off-brand ECU tune plus a $3k bauble to quiet the grumblings from my spouse.

All input welcome.

Thx,
Paul

Hey Paul. It's really funny how you are doing the exact same moves I did before I finally put the Renntech on my car. I also found a cheaper alternative for around $800 (I think) and it was a place somewhere near New Jersey. However, I just have a hard time believing that a cheaper service would be safe. I can't answer your question but I too had the same thoughts in my mind. Anyway, I just never told the "home front" what I was doing. She still doesn't know but she sure does love the race car feeling.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:43 PM

S600
Where is the place near NJ. I will give it a try and let you guys know if it works as my friend has a renntech done to his. We could compare. I am also local to NJ
Old 07-20-2007, 09:08 PM

2013 SL65 45th Anniversary Edition, 2014 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Trumpet, I may be on exactly your same path. Now I'm leaning back towards Renntech -- "I spent so much on the car already, why fuss over a couple thousand at the expense of peace of mind". Really irks me, though, to think that this is exactly what Renntech is counting on to sell a generic tune at such high price
Old 07-20-2007, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Just to let you guys know that EuroElites does the 600/65 ECU/TCU tuning in house too. And we can guarantee the same results as what Renntech has, and of course at a cheaper price.