S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Updated my 2007 command:Tons of new options!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 10:34 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
RDS is transmitted over FM radio, not satellite radio. It may not yet be available in all parts of the country.

See http://www.navteq.com/webapps/NewsUs...ail&newsId=400 which shows it uses FM

See http://www.navteq.com/webapps/NewsUs...ail&newsId=563 which shows it applies to Mercedes.

See http://www.navteq.com/webapps/NewsUs...ail&newsId=444 which shows the areas of coverage

available in 42 markets including Annapolis, Atlanta, Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Buffalo, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Denver/Boulder, Detroit, Hartford, Houston/Galveston, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Memphis, Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, Middlesex/Somerset/Union, Milwaukee/Racine, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Nassau/Suffolk, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Portland, Providence, Riverside/San Bernardino, Sacramento, St. Louis, San Antonio, San Diego, San Francisco, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle/Tacoma, Tampa/St. Petersburg, Washington, DC and West Palm Beach.

Can you post copies of the manual when you get them?

Last edited by steveb9771; 10-19-2007 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
This was interesting. When dynamic routing was first discussed, I suggested the data would be coming through FM radio RDS but the replies convinced me it was satellite radio for MB in the US.

This reference shows it the opposite clearly. RDS is used in Europe, would make it straightforward for MB to use it also in the US.

RDS by the way is Radio Data System:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Data_System
Old 10-20-2007, 10:43 AM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
See http://www.navteq.com/rdstraffic/index.html for areas of the US where NAVTEQ RDS info (which is used by Mercedes) is available. There is a pulldown to display a detailed coverage map showing which roads are included along with a list of the radio stations that provide the information.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
This was interesting. When dynamic routing was first discussed, I suggested the data would be coming through FM radio RDS but the replies convinced me it was satellite radio for MB in the US.

This reference shows it the opposite clearly. RDS is used in Europe, would make it straightforward for MB to use it also in the US.

RDS by the way is Radio Data System:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Data_System
Thats what I thought....Im getting this done asap
Old 10-20-2007, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
“Mercedes-Benz’s selection of our Traffic RDS service marks another milestone for NAVTEQ Traffic, which leads the market in real-time traffic information delivery to in-vehicle navigation systems via satellite and RDS communication technologies,” says Howard Hayes, NAVTEQ Vice President of Dynamic Content Services. “NAVTEQ has a long-standing business relationship with Mercedes-Benz, and we are proud to extend our services to include this valuable offering to their customers.”

The above paragraph was extracted from the 2nd hyperlink provided by Steveb. It may be that we get the info from both satellite and RDS. I actually hope so because each system is very limited in its scope of service. Maybe combining them will give everyone a better shot of useful traffic info. For example, if RDS is used , I don't get any coverage as I am in Birmingham, AL and according to the map, I am not covered by RDS. However, if you look at the coverage provided by Sirius, Birmingham (and many other areas) are included.

Take another look at the paragraph above. It states that the info is delivered via satellite and RDS technologies.

Even though the coverage via RDS is not good for me at this time, I actually would prefer Radio Data Systems to be the source because in my mind this will be cheaper and more accurate as local sources are going to be on top of things moreso than a national satellite company (IMO). Are their any 2008 owners here that can testify their experience with this feature? I've read a few posts on it where it certainly works but are their any folks out there that have found it not to work at all? Any practical tips, advice, etc.???
Also, high concentration of cell phone use would suggest an accident on open stretches of highway. Everyone calling 911 or people calling family members to inform them of being late due to a wreck.

All in all, it seems this system is far from being practical for a few more months or maybe years due to the fact that only a few units are installed in cars at this time. We will just have to be patient. Kinda reminds me of the early days when cell phone towers were rare when we first were introduced to "car" phones.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by trumpet1
Take another look at the paragraph above. It states that the info is delivered via satellite and RDS technologies.
Thanks for helping reading the text correctly. This makes very much sense, also for the previous posts on this issue.

All in all, it seems this system is far from being practical for a few more months or maybe years due to the fact that only a few units are installed in cars at this time. We will just have to be patient. Kinda reminds me of the early days when cell phone towers were rare when we first were introduced to "car" phones.
Reminds me that several after market Navigation devices, specifically cell phone based applications already read TMC info via the cellular data connection (GPRS). Would have been another option to complement RDS and/or satellite, specifically for countries that have good cellular coverage.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:04 AM

MBs
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Reminds me that several after market Navigation devices, specifically cell phone based applications already read TMC info via the cellular data connection (GPRS). Would have been another option to complement RDS and/or satellite, specifically for countries that have good cellular coverage.
Yes. They had that in Germany for a few years, but as far as I can tell it never became popular? I prefer RDS there. NAVTEQ Traffic info can also be viewed at http://www.traffic.com. Here's a map of the accident site near LA where 29 big rigs crashed and burnt in a tunnel last week. It's shown as construction site now.
Attached Thumbnails Updated my 2007 command:Tons of new options!!-lamap.jpg  

Last edited by Wolfgang; 10-21-2007 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
I looked at that website in detail and came upon a registration page. I registered my vehicle with Navteq. I don't know what good it will do but I did notice that they will mail me updates when they become available. It seems you have to email questions to them. I was going to ask them if my system will work on RDS but I just decided I didn't want to go to the trouble today. I'm going to pick up those pages in the 2008 manual hopefully Monday or Tuesday , read that and then ask questions or report what I find out.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
Yes. They had that in Germany for a few years, but as far as I can tell it never became popular? I prefer RDS there. NAVTEQ Traffic info can also be viewed at http://www.traffic.com. Here's a map of the accident site near LA where 29 big rigs crashed and burnt in a tunnel last week. It's shown as construction site now.

I clicked on that site and entered my zip code and it does show traffic conditions, traffic jams, planned construction sites, etc. Shouldn't this mean I have the service??
Old 10-22-2007, 11:35 AM

MBs
I clicked on that site and entered my zip code and it does show traffic conditions, traffic jams, planned construction sites, etc. Shouldn't this mean I have the service??
In order to receive that Navteq traffic data with RDS in your S600 you also need to be within the coverage range which steveb9771 posted above: http://www.navteq.com/rdstraffic/index.html
Old 10-22-2007, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Drat it. I don't have the service in my area. Hopefully they will get on it and add my area soon.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Since I got the upgrade, I noticed once or twice that a destination can be achieved if you know the phone number of the destination. However, today when I tried that feature, I could not figure out how to get to the screen with that option. It seems fickle as to whether or not that option pops up on the screen. Can someone help me figure out how to get to that option on the screen everytime?/// I can't remember how I got there before but I do know it does exist as I stumbled upon it the first day after I got the upgrade.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
I drove through Atlanta this evening and lo and behold my traffic info feature worked like a charm. RDS did the trick.
I have a nav question that keeps surfacing: Sometimes my nav works by allowing you to use "via map" to find a destination and then click on "start" nav to get you there. However, I find that "via map" is not always allowed to be scrolled to in order to select that option. Why is that? For example, sometimes I have a general idea where I want to go by scanning the map but I don't have the exact address (and don't really need it). I would like guidance to that area after finding it on the map but I don't always get the option to click on "via map". Sometimes I do get that option, sometimes I don't. I guess I should RTFM
Old 10-29-2007, 01:53 AM

S65 Renntech'd, GL450, Super Charged Range Rover
When I use my Navigation, it doesn't mute the radio when it gives the directions now.... Kind of annoying.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by love2skiutah
When I use my Navigation, it doesn't mute the radio when it gives the directions now.... Kind of annoying.
An interesting observation. I hope this is not intentional and can be fixed, perhaps SDS configurable, or do owners have to wait for the next Comand update? Anybody noticed the same?
Old 10-29-2007, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
You're right. I knew there was something different but I didn't realize that was it.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:20 PM

S65 Renntech'd, GL450, Super Charged Range Rover
You're right. I knew there was something different but I didn't realize that was it.
Overall, I would have to say that it's still worth doing the update. I just turn the volume up really loud on the NAV now... lol

Have you asked your service advisor about it?
Old 10-29-2007, 06:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 S550, 2013 GL450
I just had my nav updated. How do I activate the traffic feature. When I push the button for "all alerts" it tells me there are none. I live in Chicago so I find that hard to believe.
Also, do I have to leave the update disc in the cd changer or can it be removed.
Thanks,
Old 10-29-2007, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Overall, I would have to say that it's still worth doing the update. I just turn the volume up really loud on the NAV now... lol

Have you asked your service advisor about it?
I haven't had a chance to speak with anyone about it yet. You guys know things more than they do (or I should say, in most cases, we know more about these cars than they do).
Today I got into the car, set a bogus destination just for testing purposes, turned on a DVD music video, and then while the video sound was muted, I continuously pressed the RPT symbol on the nav screen (to make the nav voice speak) while I adjusted the volume of the nav UP. I then released the mute on the video so that I could test the volume of the nav while music was playing at a fairly loud volume. It seems that the nav voice is louder than the music for now. I just hope my newly set volume for the nav voice HOLDS its setting so that when I actually use it I don't have to keep resetting its volume. For now, that is all I know to do. BTW, is the only way to adjust the volume of the nav done by adjusting it while in use???

I would think that this will be corrected soon. We just need to let them know about it.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by blevinson
I just had my nav updated. How do I activate the traffic feature. When I push the button for "all alerts" it tells me there are none. I live in Chicago so I find that hard to believe.
Also, do I have to leave the update disc in the cd changer or can it be removed.
Thanks,
No. You can remove the disc after install. Mine is in its case right now.

As far as the traffic info, I did nothing except go into a city (Atlanta) that has the feature and it instantly worked for me after taking the steps you took. I clicked on "traffic" and it displayed all of the congestion areas. Little yellow cars, red cars were flashing all around I-285. It was amazingly up-to-date. Unfortunately, it seems I don't have it in Birmingham, AL. On the other hand, I might actually have it here but the local agencies involved in making sure it is up to date and functioning are sitting on their hands at the desk, probably sending email jokes, and not making it apparent that we have this service. Our highway dept. has spent millions on overhead traffic notification signs and about all they ever tell us on those signs is to make sure we are buckled up or some environmental warning like ozone alerts . One of the signs says, "Ozone alert, Reduce Driving". What do they expect us to do? Pull over off the side of the road and finish our commute to work by walking the rest of the way???!!! I know , I know but it gripes me that money is so wasted.
Anyway,
In Chicago, you certainly should be seeing traffic info. Sorry to have babbled but that is my experience with it. Keep trying, maybe their is something you've overlooked.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by blevinson
Thanks,

Also, I will be popping in at my dealership this week and I am going to get some answers pertaining to this question as well as inform them about the problem with the radio not muting while nav instructions are being given. I'll post as soon as I find out something.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
OK , here's the thing

I spoke with a technical expert at MBUSA this morning and just as we have verified before, the traffic info is relayed to us via RDS. It is free of charge and does not require any activation of any kind. We here on the forum have already known this. I just wanted to reinforce that knowledge.

As far as the non-muting of the radio, he said he had not heard of this before and that I was the first to inform them of it. He said to take it to the dealership and let the normal chain of events occur to get this corrected.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:08 PM

2010 E350, 2007 S550 - SOLD, 2007 ML350
I spoke to the parts department at Laguna Niguel for the new nav update,
their latest part # was 646 02229 and do not have the newest update yet, which is 646 02231.

I guess people in Utah get their stuff faster?
Old 11-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by i7iceguy
I spoke to the parts department at Laguna Niguel for the new nav update,
their latest part # was 646 02229 and do not have the newest update yet, which is 646 02231.
Speak to the Service and/or Parts Manager to expedite. As per DTB P-B-82.85/592c released 10/4/07, all dealerships have the ability to contact Navteq and acquire the newest DVD part # BQ6460231. Reason being on the sales end the navigation database must be updated at pre-delivery inspection to insure all vehicles are released with the latest database available at that time.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:15 PM

2010 E350, 2007 S550 - SOLD, 2007 ML350
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Speak to the Service and/or Parts Manager to expedite. As per DTB P-B-82.85/592c released 10/4/07, all dealerships have the ability to contact Navteq and acquire the newest DVD part # BQ6460231. Reason being on the sales end the navigation database must be updated at pre-delivery inspection to insure all vehicles are released with the latest database available at that time.
I called again and asked them to order it for me. They told me it was on backorder and the only available copies out right now are at stores in the east coast. He thinks it'll slowly get over here in the west coast. Will get an ETA in the next couple of days.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Updated my 2007 command:Tons of new options!!