S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Whats different between US W221s and ROWs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
996 Turbo
Whats different between US W221s and ROWs?

I'm looking to purchase a new S550 (called 500 locally) and want to know some differences. The local dealership is are quite pathetic with the information they provide.

From what I can gather US spec cars have a lot more standard options. What about auto trunk closer, Digital TV tuner etc? Also does the AMG package include the AMG tips at the back.

Thanks guys I hope to be picking one up soon

Last edited by FInality; 12-16-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:26 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
mbusa.com has reasonably detailed specs/options for US cars....

Major diffces US vs ROW.....US prob has cheapest MSRPs of any region in world; most efficient lease terms (perhaps 60%++ of new $100K+ cars in US are leased; MB Credit owns these leased cars and may need to incur losses when leased cars are returned, dpdg upon aggressive lease pricing to spark sales of new cars); many buyers want an immediate car, so MBUSA and dealers pre-spec many cars w/typically desired colors/options to sit on dealer lots awaiting those who don't want to wait 2-3 mos to obtain an ordered car.....

Some options of ROW, like TV tuners, etc, are not available in US mkt, as US is world's most litigious mkt.....US has both immense frivolous litigation....and adept capitalist lawyers who force any cos. to contemplate litigation costs if products are inadequate from a safety standpoint and cause injury/death due to engineering/marketing flaws....and US has world's most consumer-friendly lemon laws and most generous mfr warranties, so most mfrs would rather debug early cars in ROW mkts before introducing into the more demanding (and costly in which to debug) US mkt....

Suspect the hypercompetitive US mkt has increasingly made any new cars into rapidly disposable, continually advanced/debugged tech commodities.....but our pals in ROW still don't have comparably efficient pricing/leasing/lemon laws&warranties/ordering terms/mechanisms available....
Old 12-17-2007, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Some previous thoughts here:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w221...n-s-class.html

Now that the US is getting video too, the differences get smaller for those "non-optioned" features. Ignoring options that are standard in the US but at least available in Europe, the most significant differences are perhaps:
- the signal lights on bumpers,
- no child locks on rear doors
- no valet lock for the trunk.

I've seen a retrofit kit for the valet lock, even that can be the same as in Europe now. You do not get Sirius in Europe but I don't think you would want to have it in Dubai. Otherwise you should be able to build the car the way you want when ordering from Europe. Cost, as mentioned above, may be significantly lower in the US, with a comparable options set.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Valet lock is now included on the 221. Was added some time during MY07 production.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
options simply not available in the US for S550 :
1. Full leather option (passion leather)
2. No hold function for brakes
3. No fridge option
4. No rear tray tables
5. No operation of climate control while the car is off
6. No memory rear seats or drive dynamic features
7. No tv tuner