S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by SonnyJ
Just got a call, my car is iN!!!!!

Going back a bit, someone had asked about color code.
They said 048
But that person was mentioning 502, 202, and 802 ???? maybe a US code

Anyway, its going through the shops with all the necessary adjustments , should pick it up tomorrow or so.

Pics soon!

Yes I said it. Look at rachelpatricia's screen shot. It says 801 Black Nappa leather. The first number stands for the grade of leather, 8-series leather is a higher grade... however if the car interior color is 501, the first number 5 denotes exclusive nappa leather and means the dash and door panels are also upholstered in the same material.

If the dealership had ordered her car with 501 "black exclusive nappa leather" she would have gotten the leather dash and door panels.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S63 2005 996 Turbo S, 2006 Sennia XLE Limited AWD
Originally Posted by Kar don
Yes I said it. Look at rachelpatricia's screen shot. It says 801 Black Nappa leather. The first number stands for the grade of leather, 8-series leather is a higher grade... however if the car interior color is 501, the first number 5 denotes exclusive nappa leather and means the dash and door panels are also upholstered in the same material.

If the dealership had ordered her car with 501 "black exclusive nappa leather" she would have gotten the leather dash and door panels.
Leather are not "upgrade-able" in canadian market. s550/s63 use 8-series leather and s600/s65 use 5-series leather. The s550/s63 will not get a leather upper dash regardlees of Designo. But the material on the lower dash and door panel are parts included in Designo option. The reason rechel did not get the white lower dash and door panel is because there are two-level of Designo option and we don't know that at the time when the car was order.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:08 AM

S550 4matic / SL65
Non North American Designo Options

From what I've ciphered there are two main Designo programs outside of NA.

1. Designo Aniline Leather - This is what I was surprised by. Anline Leather (very very soft leather) on the seats, top of the door arm rest, and console. Black Nappa on Dash upper, lower and door inserts.

2. Exclusive Designo Aniline Leather - Includes all of the above plus Anline leather on the lower dash and door inserts. Doors and dash, including the upper dash are all stitched.

The Alcantara headliner is a separate option.

So is the Designo Wood/leather wheel.

MB Canada's material all clearly show only the Exclusive Designo Aniline Leather in the marketing materials. Hence my surprise.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by rachelpatricia
From what I've ciphered there are two main Designo programs outside of NA.

1. Designo Aniline Leather - This is what I was surprised by. Anline Leather (very very soft leather) on the seats, top of the door arm rest, and console. Black Nappa on Dash upper, lower and door inserts.

2. Exclusive Designo Aniline Leather - Includes all of the above plus Anline leather on the lower dash and door inserts. Doors and dash, including the upper dash are all stitched.

The Alcantara headliner is a separate option.

So is the Designo Wood/leather wheel.

MB Canada's material all clearly show only the Exclusive Designo Aniline Leather in the marketing materials. Hence my surprise.

Agree, so everyone follow along this thread should clearly understand how to work out their Designo order. Unlike UK or Germany, use of Designo parts are not clear specify on maketing material in Canada and US. (the UK brochure defines it clearly)

I did not realize that MBC's materials shown only the Exclusive Designo Aniline Leather will be use.

So, how is your car? Did you rejected? Does the dealer "really" try to help you find the answers?
Old 01-08-2008, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Well US spec can get 2 or 8 series leather on the S550. If you order designo on the V221 you get 5 series.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:29 PM

S550 4matic / SL65
Rachelpatrica S550 Designo

Yes, I have taken delivery of the car. MB Canada gave me $4000 off the car due to the "surprise". The dealer is getting a list of the parts we would need to convert the car over to what I expected. Quickly, it looks exceptionally expensive. It would be unfair to say that the car is not handsome. The Aniline leather is so so soft (like nothing I've had in a MB before) and for the most part the black and white contrast still remains striking. Carsnob was right.

The big story is the car. This is significantly better than my W220 and reminds me more of the W140, which I enjoyed greatly. The new car is outstanding. The way it drives, the way it's features work and the level of comfort. Even the 4matic appears better since all it has done since I've gotten it, is snow. The only downside is my PDA (Treo WX700) which doesn't want to sync the phone book. There are Treo work arounds but they are cumbersome. I have owned, or my family has had, one of every series of S class from the very beginning, except one, and the current car offers the most promise of any for long term satisfaction. There are even practical improvements like: real cupholders, practical clips on the floor mats, door lock switches actually on the doors, a "chirp" when you lock the car and too many others to list. Maybe they do listen sometimes.

MBS63, the Canadian Designo literature, the s class series literature and even the downloadable price list for S class off the MB Canada site all show only photos of the exclusive Aniline Designo interior. Crazy.

I am very interested in Sonny's pictures. The fact he hasn't posted makes me wonder.......I guess we'll have to stay tuned.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:45 PM

'05 S500, '07 s550, '08 ML350, '08 Designo s550
Hey Rachel im still here!!!!

I havent posted because ive been enjoying my car too much!
Picked it up yesterday, wow...i was not surprised cause this thread but the dash is ALL black..just the seats and the armrest and the center is porcelain nappa

What a beautiful car tho i have no complaints..its raining here everyday so when its nice out ill get some good shots and put them up.

The interior is gorgeous and the leather couldn't be softer!
Old 01-08-2008, 02:47 PM

Congart! both of you, Sonny and Rechel. Enjoy the car! My salesperson just call me today and told me that my car will be in March production and expect to deliver at the end of April. .... still have to wait 4 more months ...!
Old 01-08-2008, 03:21 PM

S550 4matic / SL65
Thanks to all..

Thanks to everyone that weighted in. It was very very valuable.

Sonny, it sound like your car and mine are very similar. Glad to hear your so pleased. Hope MB Canada reads this and pay attention. Customers do care and are willing to pay. Why not give us full access and accurate marketing materials. Good for the bottom line and happy customers too.

MBS63, thanks for the thorough analysis - it was insightful and very helpful. I am interested to see photos of your car in April.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:08 PM

'05 S500, '07 s550, '08 ML350, '08 Designo s550
Yes rachel our cars are exact same i can tell by what you say and you are right, hopefully MB Canada does see this or someone should show it to them..

i need this Rain to stop in T.o. then we can get some pics exchanged!
Old 01-13-2008, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by rachelpatricia
Snapshot from MBC system of my car's codes. Additionally, details about interiors for Canadian S600 Designo and S65s. Price is MSRP - Canadian.

N.B. It is also my understanding that the wood/leather wheel can be heated in the leather portion only S550. It was to have come on my car. I prefer the all leather heated wheel and the factory sub'd - the all leather wheel instead of the wood/leather I paid for - go figure. Received a modest credit from MB.

Happy New Year.
I noticed in the what's new pages it says that "because of these changes AMG sport package is no longer available on the S600." Does this mean that there was an AMG sport package previously available on the S600 in Canada?
Old 01-14-2008, 05:11 AM

06' E500 Estate, '08 S65, '05 S430
Originally Posted by MBS63
Here is my unstanding to Canadian car:

S550 door panel and lower dashboard are plain
S63 door panel and lower dashboard has double-stitching
S600 door panel has bump and lower dashboard has double-stitching
S65 door panel has diamond pattern and lower dashboard has double-stitching

All Designo order on s63,s600,s65 will not change the pattern on the door panel and the lower dashboard. I am not sure about the s550. Due to the experince of rachelpatricia. My best guess is the Designo order on s550 will not change the pattern on door panel and lower dashboard

The Designo option only change the material/color on the front and rear seats,lower dash, door panels, door armrest, centre armrest. Alcantara Roof Liner, designo Wood/Leather Steering Wheel and designo wood trims are not include. The cost of this option is $5400, Designo Wood trims are $3200, Designo Exterior color is $1900, I don't know the price of the roof liner and the steering wheel. However, Designo Alcantara Roof liner is standard on s63,s600,s65. And beware of ordering stone trims. Stone trims are only use on keypad cover, trim strips around the center armrest and the rear cover of the center console. The rest of the wood elements will replace by black piano lacquer.

My conclusion in here is: Designo option will only change the material but not the patterns on the dash, door and seats. Ask the salesperson to give you black and white on the description of the option (which parts will replace by the Designo leather).

MB World should have a sub-fourm on Designo. I hope our discussion on here can give some help to those who wants to order Designo car.
This is the most erudite discussion I've seen on Designo. This thread got me thinking. So, I looked at my invoice and noticed the S65 interior is code 511. I believe Exclusive leather is 501, therefore maybe the 511 is the exclusive with the diamond stitch pattern?

RachaelPatricia, glad you took delivery of the car although I can imagine how you feel given that it was not what you were expecting!

J
Old 01-14-2008, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by jeffreyy
This is the most erudite discussion I've seen on Designo. This thread got me thinking. So, I looked at my invoice and noticed the S65 interior is code 511. I believe Exclusive leather is 501, therefore maybe the 511 is the exclusive with the diamond stitch pattern?

RachaelPatricia, glad you took delivery of the car although I can imagine how you feel given that it was not what you were expecting!

J

501 is black/black interior (dash/seats) and I couldn't find the code 511. Maybe you are right. What is the interior colour of your car? Is it Grey/Grey?
Attached Thumbnails Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550-colour-code.jpg   Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550-designo1.jpg   Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550-designo2.jpg  
Old 01-14-2008, 09:06 AM

.... Should the colour code defines the colour and types of leather. If the code also defines the pattern. Then every series would have their own series of colour code ....
Old 01-14-2008, 10:16 AM

S550 4matic / SL65
Interior Leather Order Codes in Canada.

Attached are the specification Sheets for Canadian Cars I received before ordering my car. Note that Standard Leather is 2XX for S450,S550 and S550 4matics, Exclusive Passion Leather is 5XX for the S600 and S65. I am assuming the XX represents codes for the different stitching. Maybe the stitched dash and quilting in the S65(5+11) and Stitched dash and doors in the S600 (5+01). The other key word in these descriptions is the word "Exclusive" Just like in Designo, this term appears to represent the stitched dash and doors. Note on the S63 the leather is described as "Passion Leather" (8xx). So, I see this as the same grade of leather as the "Exclusive Passion Leather" but without the stitching. It is still leather covered. This is the code on my car. (exact model S550 4matic with passion leather 801(black - no stitching) and X27 Aniline Leather(Porcelain designo)) The Canadian spec on the S63 has the same base interior treatment as my Designo option (8xx) minus the Aniline leather on the seats and arm rests. This means no stitching. "Exclusive Designo" for me would have added back the Stitched Dash and Doors and these area would also have the same Colour Aniline Leather if ordered as part of designo. Key word again is exclusive. Aniline Leather appears to be a grade above Passion?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
S08classV2.pdf (81.2 KB, 397 views)
Old 01-14-2008, 11:09 PM

Angry Designo disappointment again !

My salesperson call me again today He told me he got an email from designo departmant in germany saying that my natural maple wood trim (w64) has to order with the wood/leather stearing wheel (Y95), and it will replace the AMG paddle shift steering wheel. But I like the grap of the AMG thick leather stearing wheel. And what's the point of getting a wood steering wheel for a "sport" car. I mean what kind of logic are they using

Back in sept. when I order the car. I thought the Designo s63 would have the "bump" partten. And when I found out that the "bump" partten are only exclusive to s600 and the s63 will get the roll of stitches on the smooth door panel. I had to choose between "elegant" and "sporty". And I decided to choose the sport-ier s63 instead of the elegant s600. And now they told me I have to get the wood steering wheel on a sport-ier s63.

I asked the salesperson to negotiate with the Designo department and confirm with me that does the designo wood trim (w64) have to order with the Designo wood steering wheel (Y95). I understand that Designo wood steering wheel has to order in conjunction with designo wood trim. And now they are also saying the designo wood trim has to order with the designo wood steering wheel. So why don't they just have one designo wood product which include the trims and steering.

If the final answer from MB is a "no". Then I will have to use the standard wood trim, which is Burl Walnut and have a choice of high-gloss (731) or silk matte (H03).

I am so disappointed!
Old 01-15-2008, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
My salesperson call me again today He told me he got an email from designo departmant in germany saying that my natural maple wood trim (w64) has to order with the wood/leather stearing wheel (Y95), and it will replace the AMG paddle shift steering wheel. But I like the grap of the AMG thick leather stearing wheel. And what's the point of getting a wood steering wheel for a "sport" car. I mean what kind of logic are they using

Back in sept. when I order the car. I thought the Designo s63 would have the "bump" partten. And when I found out that the "bump" partten are only exclusive to s600 and the s63 will get the roll of stitches on the smooth door panel. I had to choose between "elegant" and "sporty". And I decided to choose the sport-ier s63 instead of the elegant s600. And now they told me I have to get the wood steering wheel on a sport-ier s63.

I asked the salesperson to negotiate with the Designo department and confirm with me that does the designo wood trim (w64) have to order with the Designo wood steering wheel (Y95). I understand that Designo wood steering wheel has to order in conjunction with designo wood trim. And now they are also saying the designo wood trim has to order with the designo wood steering wheel. So why don't they just have one designo wood product which include the trims and steering.

If the final answer from MB is a "no". Then I will have to use the standard wood trim, which is Burl Walnut and have a choice of high-gloss (731) or silk matte (H03).

I am so disappointed!
I realize this would incur additional cost to you and is really rediculous that they can't accomodate you...but you could just order the designo wood trim you want and then replace the wood steering wheel with the standard non-wood AMG steering wheel.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by pmb600
I realize this would incur additional cost to you and is really rediculous that they can't accomodate you...but you could just order the designo wood trim you want and then replace the wood steering wheel with the standard non-wood AMG steering wheel.
No! they said the price of the W64 (maple wood trim) is already included the y95 (wood steering wheel) And the original AMG steering (Thick steering wheel with paddle shift) can't not be order individually as a parts and install in the dealer.

They are not trying to charge me extra money. But I just can't get maple wood trim (non-standard wood trim) with a AMG thick steering wheel (standard steering wheel) .
Old 01-15-2008, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
No! they said the price of the W64 (maple wood trim) is already included the y95 (wood steering wheel) And the original AMG steering (Thick steering wheel with paddle shift) can't not be order individually as a parts and install in the dealer.

They are not trying to charge me extra money. But I just can't get maple wood trim (non-standard wood trim) with a AMG thick steering wheel (standard steering wheel) .
Why can't the wheel be ordered? Any part should be able to be ordered and installed, even if the dealer won't install it for you, someone can. It's just a steering wheel and they should all be interchangeble on the S-Class--same wiring I would assume.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
You know it's ironic because here in the US the designo packages on the AMGs come with the all leather wheel.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:02 AM

I asked the following question to the salesperson. What if a customer's AMG crashed and need a replacement steering wheel. Can you order one? And he said they don't have the parts number for it?

yes, the program in here is different than US. In US, the Designo was packaged, you don't have much choice. In here, we can have more choice to "choose". But it's a screw-up.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 249 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I asked the following question to the salesperson. What if a customer's AMG crashed and need a replacement steering wheel. Can you order one? And he said they don't have the parts number for it?

It would be more of the problem that they have so many different part numbers. I get a list of 13 variants for an S65 AMG. The basic one would be A2214600303. Any dealer would have this, if not more info.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Agreed. That is B.S. that you can't order the steering wheel. If there is a part number for a software upgrade, then there should be a part number for a steering wheel. I'm sure in Sindelfingen at the factory, the assembly guys don't go screaming down the aisles "I need an AMG all-leather steering wheel !!! And make it snappy!!". THEY PLACE AN ORDER FOR IT WITH A PART NUMBER !!!
Old 01-15-2008, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
I agree this is a BS comment by the dealer. What color interior are you trying to order? Even that though shouldn't matter because on the designos I am pretty sure they are doing black upper dash would would make the steering wheel just a standard black AMG wheel.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:01 AM

Steering wheel problem resolve

As you can imagine, the salesperson has BS a lot on how they have to order things and how much effort they have to use to get around the system. Anyway, the bottom line is "I can get my w64 wood trims with the AMG leather steering wheel now" And I told the salesperson that I don't want to hear his voice until the car is here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550