S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550 4matic / SL65
Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550

I went to pick up my new S550 4matic, which had been ordered with a Designo Interior. I expected, based on the photos I had seen in MB Designo booklet, to get an interior that looked identical to the US Mystic White Designo Interior. Instead, what I have are porcelain leather seats and arms rests on the doors, but the rest of the doors and dash are all black! Moreover, instead of the stitched leather dash and door panels, it is plain, like a standard S550. I was very surprised to say the least. When ordering I carefully went over this, so the dealer in on side - but puzzled, I might add. The ordering codes, at least for Canada, don't seem to give him control over these surface colours.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-24-2007, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
A pity if you got surprised, I hope you start liking the car anyway. Perhaps the doors could be done afterwards but I doubt much of a rebuild would make sense.

In any case, a good dealer/sales guy would have a book from MB explaining the exact construction (materials & colours for different parts of the car) for each option. You should have had a chance to browse the book yourself.

Considering options, you could have a look at the German price list. You may not be able to pick up each individual option but a package would usually consist of those individual options on the German price list. The first (lowest cost) Designo option is described like this:
designo Anilinleder einfarbig
Sitze in designo Anilinleder mit 10 Längspfeifen,
Doppelziernaht und designo Metallplakette in den
vorderen und hinteren Lehnen, Sitzspannteile und
Pompadourtaschen in Nappaleder schwarz,
Deckel Armauflage vorn und Armauflage in den
Türen in designo Leder, Veloursfussmatten schwarz
mit Einfassung in designo Leder schwarz,
Innenhimmel inkl. A-/B-/C-Säulen und
Sonnenblenden in Stoff schwarz

Perhaps you are missing the option Y80:
Erweiterte designo Lederausstattung bestehend aus:
Komplette Türbeläge vorne und hinten,
Instrumententafeloberteil und -unterteil,
Tunnelverkleidung, Deckel Armauflage,
Sitzspannteile und Pompadourtaschen sowie
Hutablage in Leder Nappa
Old 12-24-2007, 05:10 AM

W109 300 SEL 6.3, W201 190 Evo II, W140 S500, W209 CLK Black, W222 S350
Originally Posted by rachelpatricia
I went to pick up my new S550 4matic, which had been ordered with a Designo Interior. I expected, based on the photos I had seen in MB Designo booklet, to get an interior that looked identical to the US Mystic White Designo Interior. Instead, what I have are porcelain leather seats and arms rests on the doors, but the rest of the doors and dash are all black! Moreover, instead of the stitched leather dash and door panels, it is plain, like a standard S550. I was very surprised to say the least. When ordering I carefully went over this, so the dealer in on side - but puzzled, I might add. The ordering codes, at least for Canada, don't seem to give him control over these surface colours.

Any thoughts?
Did you reject the car?
Old 12-24-2007, 08:20 AM

S550 4matic / SL65
Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550 - 2

I haven't decided yet. The all leather interior was a feature I specifically wanted. Missed it my last car.They are going to talk with MB Canada to find out what they will do. Stay tuned.

I think that Diesel Benz is on to the problem. The low level control over the interior surface finishes is not setup in the Canadian system for ordering. MB Canada's material for Designo is weak and the literature misleading. Unlike the US, there are no Designo packages. So much for "more" control.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:24 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Thats most unfortunate RachelPatricia... Not sure about the Canadian brochure but the Designo mystic white in the US 2008 brochure definitely has white door panels and a white lower dash... Mind you the literature is pretty misleading in that brochure also... it has a picture of an S63 with a full leather dash.. which certainly is not the case... And of course the innevitable disclaimer in mouse type on the back... "MB reserves the right to make changes at any time.... Some vehicles may be shown with non-US equipment" etc.)

Still what has been delivered to you appears unreasonably different to the ambience of the all-white interior implied in the designo marketing materials... At the very least it feels that you are in the gray zone of misrepresentation... especially for the extra premium you pay for Designo...

I had a similar situation when I was originally delivered an S63 not only with non-leather dash/doors, but also black laquer (that I personally dislike) rather than burl trim. I rejected the vehicle and switched to an all leather S600 instead... (Which in hindsight was the better choice for me anyway)

Not sure where you stand legally on this in canada, but hopefully you can get this sorted out with an understanding dealer... but at this price I would not take a vehicle that you are not 101% happy with...

Chris
Old 12-24-2007, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
is the leather coded 501 or 801? 501 denotes stitching on the dash and doors... Look at the window sticker for this.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:33 AM

S550 4matic / SL65
Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550 III

It is 801 Black Nappa Leather. Upholstery codes available to us did not include 501. MB Designo booklet and main Canadian Literature shows Designo model with Leather covered/stiched dash. This is what we worked from.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:53 PM

yes, it seems like it's a Canadian thing. Look here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...s550+vancouver

I believe it's a Canadian Designo S550, and as far as I can tell from the pictures, there are no leather on the door panels and I assume there are no leather on the dash neither.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
It is 801 Black Nappa Leather. Upholstery codes available to us did not include 501. MB Designo booklet and main Canadian Literature shows Designo model with Leather covered/stiched dash. This is what we worked from.
Yup u gotta order the 501 black exclusive nappa leather for the leather covered dash. 801 is just nappa on the seats.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:40 AM

S550 4matic / SL65
Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550 IV

Thanks to Kevine310 and Kar don and all the members who have offer information and advise. It always amazes me what you can learn off these forums. The interior in the photos from Kevine310 is the same interior as in the car I just ordered. MB Canada literature (see attached shows a two colour dash and of course the stiching. The specific feature code 501 was not on the order or available to specify separately in the system. I am waiting to see what MB Canada has to say on this.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:46 AM

S550 4matic / SL65
Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550 IV Photos

Sorry, I forgot to attach the photos...
Attached Thumbnails Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550-canadian-designo-cover.jpg   Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550-s-class-design-page-2.jpg   Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550-s-class-design-page-3.jpg  
Old 12-28-2007, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
I'm wondering if the woodgrain/carbon-fiber inlays that surround the seat and window switches of the new CL would fit on our S classes? Even if they did, we wouldn't have one for the back seat doors since the CL has no switches back there to steal from.
I can already see this as update on a 2010 refresh.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:43 PM

'05 S500, '07 s550, '08 ML350, '08 Designo s550
Im actually really really shocked at this Because i am in Toronto Canada and am waiting for My 2008 S550 Designo White which is said to be on the way in the next 2 weeks!. I have been waiting since AUGUST, because there was a delay on the pano roof.

I am really surprised that the dealer did not mention the difference between the interiors as i had even brought in pictures from another forum showing him what i wanted.
I will post pics ASAP when the car arrives.

Rachel, hope you are not too sad tho as the car is still stunning. But i do agree that the changes between the US and Canadian Designo are shocking.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:06 PM

S550 4matic / SL65
Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550 V

I am curious....are you saying that your Canadian Car will have be a two tone leather covered dash and doors with stitching? If it does I want to see those pictures. Which Dealer in Toronto??
Old 12-29-2007, 03:14 PM

Well i had brought in pictures that i had found on the net of someone elses designo white s550 and expecting the interior to look the same with the two tone dash .

But now that i see your problem i am not sure what i am getting!?.. I will have to wait and then post pics for you, they have told me next 2 weeks.

The dealership was Garden Motorcar in Burlington where im at.

So we'll see what happens, i dont think ill be too disappointed tho as the interior to me is still stunning.

Can you post pics of yours?
Old 12-29-2007, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
SonnyJ, ask you dealership for the interior color code. If it starts with a 5, ex 501 for black that means you will get the leather dash. If it starts with a 2 or 8, ex 801 then no leather dash.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:25 PM

Just emailed them, ill wait for reply and post
Old 12-30-2007, 01:56 AM

2008 S63 2005 996 Turbo S, 2006 Sennia XLE Limited AWD
There are serious problem on ordering Designo, because the use of material and pattern on all the model are different (S550,S63,S600,S65). Sometime when you see a picture and you can't be sure what model is shown. And the salesperson doesn't know anything because they rarely order a Designo car. And the person who actually key in the order (not the salesperson) doesn't even know what is Designo. The product code for a Designo interior will be the same for all S-class, but the it will look different (sitches, pattern, etc..) on different model.

I ordered a S63 with Designo interior in Sept. but I don't want to pick-up the car in winter, so I told them not to order the car until December. When I order the car, I thought the upper door panel will have a "bump" pattern. But I have some concern, because I saw some photo are different on internet. And the salesperson keep telling me that I should get what it shown on the booklet. Than, I saw a 08 S63 with Designo interior in the showroom and the upper door panel has "stitches" instead of "bumps". That is the time that the salesperson start to think about what is "Designo interior". At first, he doesn't know who to ask, because he has no direct contact to the MB Germany, and the ordering departmant can't give him any answer (they just know the code, and don't know any detail). Then he turns to his product manger. With some email exchange between three of us, that's how I found out that patterns on Designo interior are different on all S-Class models.

Anyway, I won't be able to see the car until March, I told the salesperson I don't want superise. But my point is: I am dealing with mid-town Toronto, which is the HQ of MB Canada. And the sales are lack of resource on Designo. So, it's either MB Canada are not interest to sell Designo, or MB do not want promote the Designo as they do to promote the AMGs.

And for the last, my experince on ordering Designo is no good at all.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by SonnyJ
Well i had brought in pictures that i had found on the net of someone elses designo white s550 and expecting the interior to look the same with the two tone dash .

But now that i see your problem i am not sure what i am getting!?.. I will have to wait and then post pics for you, they have told me next 2 weeks.

The dealership was Garden Motorcar in Burlington where im at.

So we'll see what happens, i dont think ill be too disappointed tho as the interior to me is still stunning.

Can you post pics of yours?
Sonny, I saw an 07 S550 with Designo interior that dosen't have two-tone on dashboard and door panel last month. I asked my salesperson why is that Designo interior doesn't have two-tone and he told me he would find it out for me. However, my order is not a S550 and my problem has been resolved. He never give me the answer on that question. Give them some pressure and tell them you won't pick up the car if is not the same as what you see on the booklet. Ask your salesperson to check with the product manager and ask him the find out the product description of your Designo option. Here is the email from my salesperson, you should get a description like this.

"...Please take a look at the following equipment description (this is the
package that he would receive as part of the standard designo for AMG
vehicles offering) and let me know how your customer's wishes differ.
We need to be very specific with the designo product management when
talking about special orders. Please advise and I will make a formal
inquiry with Germany.

Thanks in advance.

single-tone designo Exclusive aniline leather for AMG models AMG sports
seats in designo aniline leather AMG badge in front backrests seat
side/seatback coverings and ruffled pockets in black nappa leather lower
section of dashboard in designo leather front armrest lid, door centre
panels and door armrests in designo leather velour floor mats in black
with edging in black designo leather roof lining, A/B/C-pillar trim and
sun visors in anthracite Alcantara "

By the way, how much do they charge for the Designo interior option?

here are some pic of different designo interior. The problem is I don't even know what model are shown.
Attached Thumbnails Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550-s65-1.jpg   Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550-s-saloon_equipment_designo_designoeditioni_410x220_12_2005.jpg   Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550-s-saloon_designo_editionii_410x220_04_2007.jpg   Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550-inside584524.jpg  
Old 12-30-2007, 03:10 AM

I haven't decided yet. The all leather interior was a feature I specifically wanted. Missed it my last car.They are going to talk with MB Canada to find out what they will do. Stay tuned.

I think that Diesel Benz is on to the problem. The low level control over the interior surface finishes is not setup in the Canadian system for ordering. MB Canada's material for Designo is weak and the literature misleading. Unlike the US, there are no Designo packages. So much for "more" control.
I have a second thought. When the factory took the order of a Designo White interior, they can't just put a white door panel on one car and a black door panel on another car. Then ship it to a dealer and tell them this is what you get. I mean, somewhere along the ordering process there is a trigger. What you have to find out is, does all Canadian S550 with Designo white interior will get a black door panel. If yes, then the literature was misleading. If the answer is no, than the saleperson and the dealer should responsible for not give you enough info on ordering the car. And they should take the fall.

In both cases the dealer should have (must able to find) a product description on the Designo option saying which part of the interior will be replace by designo leather. I think the salesperson and/or the dealership just assume what you see on the booklet is what you get and did not actully find the description of the product.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:00 AM

S550 4matic / SL65
Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550 VI

To add to the discussion, what MBS63 says is correct, from what I can tell for Canada. MB Canada needs to carefully and accurately describe in writing what is available model by model. Clearly, some Designo options are available (like the alcantara head liner) but not not all (like the extended leather interior which includes the dash). They should just use the European approach and make it all available at extra cost. I will include a UK PDF with a section on Designo to show this approach. Moreover, this is what the factory understands and what is used in the photos. The US, in past years, bundled Designo up in packages, (Mystic/Expresso and Graphite) Some packages for S550 had two tone stitched leather dashes (Mystic) and others didn't (Expresso). The US designo codes are bundled under a package code. I would only be speculating to say if a US car can be ordered with Designo by individual feature codes. Maybe. Of course, AMG models and the S600 introduce more complexity, as they have their own interior treatment. MB Canada needs to get this communicated to their dealers in a way that removes ambiguity. Enjoy the UK PDF. Designo section begins on Page 24.
Attached Files
Old 12-30-2007, 10:05 AM

This is what they need exactly.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBS63
This is what they need exactly.
This is a good start but not sufficient really. They should use the binder from MB that has all the details. Samples of each cloth/leather in each available colour, a detailed description of each lining, material and colour for each option. Exterior paint colours of course too.

As an example, the book showed me that the A-pillar would be black together with the roof with a two tone gray/black interior. I definitely wanted to figure out this before ordering the car.

The steering wheel leather colour isn't always obvious etc. etc.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
This is a good start but not sufficient really. They should use the binder from MB that has all the details. Samples of each cloth/leather in each available colour, a detailed description of each lining, material and colour for each option. Exterior paint colours of course too.

As an example, the book showed me that the A-pillar would be black together with the roof with a two tone gray/black interior. I definitely wanted to figure out this before ordering the car.

The steering wheel leather colour isn't always obvious etc. etc.
Like Porsche, they have an order guide for each model. The order guide has labelled diagrams, options code, product descriptions, price and (the most important) what option will conflict with other option. Any changes of material or color for the options will show a number that corresponded on the diagram. And I think that is the what MB should learn from Porsche. There should be no confusion for the customer.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBS63
Like Porsche, they have an order guide for each model. The order guide has labelled diagrams, options code, product descriptions, price and (the most important) what option will conflict with other option. Any changes of material or color for the options will show a number that corresponded on the diagram. And I think that is the what MB should learn from Porsche. There should be no confusion for the customer.
I believe MB has most of that already existing. It is just that the package isn't free and dealers may not want to order it and pay for it, specifically if they plan to sell only a few cars of one specific model that are ordered individually. The US option package system may cause issues, a US specific binder should be prepared.

For Europe the car configuration already takes care of all the dependencies between different options.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550