S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

enable command DVD while moving for passanger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 06:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
My understanding is that navigation would suffer in the case that GPS signal is lost when positioning is left for gyros and speed/steering info. Also the estimates to the next turn probably use speed signal too.

But could it be that the US VIM is only fooling the park signal, the Euro devices work out of park and at slow speed. Then a VIM module needs to fool the speed signal. I would have assumed that the US device is expecting both speed and park to be zero.

Would be nice to have feedback from driving/navigation experiences with the device active.

I never dreamed that nav was going to be affected by this. I will test this out later today and report what I find.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by trumpet1
I never dreamed that nav was going to be affected by this. I will test this out later today and report what I find.
I think rob mentioned it should not affect navigation but a Euro device explicitly mentioned Navi is not working fully when VIM is on.

In any case it should not be an issue as you would normally want to see the navi screen when navigating, VIM in that case is of no use (as long as it can be switched off and on).
Old 02-16-2008, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
I think rob mentioned it should not affect navigation but a Euro device explicitly mentioned Navi is not working fully when VIM is on.

In any case it should not be an issue as you would normally want to see the navi screen when navigating, VIM in that case is of no use (as long as it can be switched off and on).

If it only affects it while the VIM is on, then that's fine with me. If everything completely acts with OEM behavior when it is off, then we're good. I am about to test it in about 30 minutes.. I'll get back and tell you what happens in a short while.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:41 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S class

Back when I got mine done I remember we had a similar thread on this issue and I emailed Rob to ask him what the deal was. Here was his reply:

... As for the Navigation issue it has to do with how the VIM device works... The Nav on the 221 gets its input via three datasets: the GPS antenna, the accelerometers (gyro), and the wheel speed sensors and it uses all of this data to determine position with as fine a resolution as possible. When you turn the VIM device on via the steering controls, it allows video to play in motion by altering the data stream to the radio in two ways: the gear position is reported as being in park with the parking brake set, and the vehicle speed is reported is zero. The reason for this has to do with how the DVD playback is enabled on the 221, some vehicles have playback allowed only in park while others (mostly 2008MY) allow playback in drive below 5km/h. If you have the VIM device turned on and use the nav it will still function using the GPS and gyros but positioning updates will only occur at about 5-8 second intervals rather than every second. When the VIM is turned off everything functions as normal and nav is completely unaffected.

I also remember him saying something about how he had a special version of the unlocker that was always on and did not affect the nav but I think there was some special programming that they had to change on the radio to make it work. I had an email about it somewhere with all the details but I think I must have deleted it. I wanted to keep the on/off feature anyway since the car is unchanged from factory when its off and I didnt want to change anything after my BMW fiasco. Anyway I use the nav all the time when I am driving to meet clients and It works perfectly but I only turn the unlock on when the kids are in the car watching movies.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Glad to report that the VIM module changes nothing on the nav. Everything works great.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:41 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 White/brown Nappa S550, '13 S550 4 matic, 11 S550 sold, '10 S550 Sports BLACK 08 S550 P3 sport
I got the module installed this afternoon. Shweeet! Took me about 45 minutes because I didn't follow the instructions exactly right and chose the wrong plug. Tried again and it worked just fine. As far as your question above, I forgot to test the nav while giving the car a test run. I'll check out your question tomorrow.
Most likely it will operate just like normal. I really don't think the car operates any differently because of this module. I think it is very OEM-like.
As far as the installation of the module, it is a piece of cake if you do exactly what midcityengineering instructions tell you what to do. The hardest part is getting the little blue plugs with the yellow wires to come out of their sockets because the release tabs are so small and you can't pull the plug way out in the open to see very well. After plugging everything up, I tucked the module and spare wire up into the dash and snapped the CAN access door back in place. Other than that, it went well and operates exactly as advertised. I let the kids and the wife watch "Kong" on the test drive. The surround sound of this car is awesome!!

congrats great job. glad u and the family r enjoying the video. could u tell me how much u paid for the unit. thanks
Old 02-16-2008, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by RajwanyS550
congrats great job. glad u and the family r enjoying the video. could u tell me how much u paid for the unit. thanks
If you mention that you are a forum member, you get the unit at dealer price $399 rather than the usual $499. I hope they don't get mad at me for announcing that They are great folks to deal with. Very helpful on the phone.
You won't be able to get it cheaper than that, I promise you.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 White/brown Nappa S550, '13 S550 4 matic, 11 S550 sold, '10 S550 Sports BLACK 08 S550 P3 sport
If you mention that you are a forum member, you get the unit at dealer price $399 rather than the usual $499. I hope they don't get mad at me for announcing that They are great folks to deal with. Very helpful on the phone.
thanks i think i will order it too.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by NJS430
On a scale of 1 - 10, I would say it's a 2. Hardest part is prying off the side panel of the dashboard. I negotiated a $399 deal.

The best way to get the fuse panel off is to push inward at the front end of that panel at the top with your left hand causing the back end of the panel to warp/bulge outwards exposing a gap that you can then pry out with a finger of your right hand. Takes 10 seconds if you do it this way and you won't even need a plastic tool or anything.
Just be careful to line up the metal tabs properly into their slots when re-installing the panel. You don't want to bend them.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:23 AM

S550 / S430 / E320
Another added benefit to the device is that it also lifts the block on other functions like updating the address book while in motion.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Another added benefit to the device is that it also lifts the block on other functions like updating the address book while in motion.

Oh good. I didn't even realize their was a block on it. I never use it much to notice that. I'll give it a try to see what you're talking about.
The German electronic engineers need to back away from the ale while at work.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:28 PM

2007 S550 & 2005 S500 (both FULLY loaded incl. AMG sport package)
THANKS for all your valuable inputs of the VIM installation and pricing ($399 + $36 for ground shipping). I have ordered the VIM from Midcity as well and it should now be easy to install based on such explicit instructions from you.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by sanjaysingh
THANKS for all your valuable inputs of the VIM installation and pricing ($399 + $36 for ground shipping). I have ordered the VIM from Midcity as well and it should now be easy to install based on such explicit instructions from you.
Call me if you have any problems during the install. Just PM me the day of your install so I can be handy by the phone if you need assistance.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:15 AM

S550 / S430 / E320
Oh good. I didn't even realize their was a block on it. I never use it much to notice that. I'll give it a try to see what you're talking about.
The German electronic engineers need to back away from the ale while at work.
There is also a block on entering a destination in the navigation system "from map" while in motion. The device also unblocks this. If you are in the destination menu while driving, you'll see the "from Map" option is dark. Press the mute button for 2 sec and it lights up.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
There is also a block on entering a destination in the navigation system "from map" while in motion. The device also unblocks this. If you are in the destination menu while driving, you'll see the "from Map" option is dark. Press the mute button for 2 sec and it lights up.
Thanks again. I meant to post last night about this as I certainly noticed the block on the address book was released. I've always been frustrated with that block on the "via map" feature. Many times I know an area that I want to go to and not a specific address and now that you've told me this, it should be a great feature to use. Now I have more to celebrate about this relatively low cost upgrade. My Benz dealership is going to freak when I tell them all I've done.

Are you discovering these things on your own by observation??
Old 02-20-2008, 11:29 AM

S550 / S430 / E320
Thanks again. I meant to post last night about this as I certainly noticed the block on the address book was released. I've always been frustrated with that block on the "via map" feature. Many times I know an area that I want to go to and not a specific address and now that you've told me this, it should be a great feature to use. Now I have more to celebrate about this relatively low cost upgrade. My Benz dealership is going to freak when I tell them all I've done.

Are you discovering these things on your own by observation??
I was frustrated by the block on the address book and the "via map" function before I ordered the module. I had hoped that it would remove the block on these functions. I was glad to find that it did. Quite frankly, the removal of the block on these functions is just as valuable as having the video play.

My navigation is still updating every second with the VIM on. I suspect the speed input is left normal for MY08, but I am confirming this with Midcity.

So far the only negative is that the backup camera does not function with VIM on. Its not hard to turn on and off so its really not a problem

I think the guys at Midcity could sell a lot more of these devices if people knew how easy it was to install and how well it works.

Now that you have it, I think you would agree it was worth the $399.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Someone instant messaged me a question as to whether the backup camera was inoperative while I had my VIM activated. The answer is no. My backup camera still works as normal as if the VIM didn't exist. The backup camera overrides the VIM like it should.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:15 PM

I was frustrated by the block on the address book and the "via map" function before I ordered the module. I had hoped that it would remove the block on these functions. I was glad to find that it did. Quite frankly, the removal of the block on these functions is just as valuable as having the video play.

My navigation is still updating every second with the VIM on. I suspect the speed input is left normal for MY08, but I am confirming this with Midcity.

So far the only negative is that the backup camera does not function with VIM on. Its not hard to turn on and off so its really not a problem

I think the guys at Midcity could sell a lot more of these devices if people knew how easy it was to install and how well it works.

Now that you have it, I think you would agree it was worth the $399.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH for clarifying that the back up camera still works....as I thought it was a compromise that had to be made based from what I read in the above message "the only negative is that the backup camera does not function with VIM on." However, now that you have checked it, I am sure it will work. THANKS for your very valuable input...as I find the back up camera of great assistance.

Last edited by sanjaysingh; 02-21-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:41 PM

S550 / S430 / E320
Originally Posted by sanjaysingh
THANK YOU VERY MUCH for clarifying that the back up camera still works....as I thought it was a compromise that had to be made based from what I read in the above message "the only negative is that the backup camera does not function with VIM on." However, now that you have checked it, I am sure it will work. THANKS for very valuable input...as I find the back up camera of great assistance.
Not sure that it does. Heard form Midcity yesterday. They said they are working on getting the back-up camera to work automatically. They plan on offering a firmware update that would add it to the current VIM in the future. Left me with the impression that it is still not ready.

Let me be clear - my backup camera functions normally when you first start the car because the VIM automatically resets to off. However, if you are driving with the VIM on and you want to back into a space, you need to hold the mute button for two seconds to turn the VIM off. Not really a big deal.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:54 PM
XJ9

C350
I think maybe its because there is a difference between 2007 and 2008 models in the way the backup camera works: Original 2007 w221 and the early build 2008's had a seperate camera module in the back that actually triggered the front screen to switch to backup view. All current 2008's no longer have that module in the back but rather it is built into the front unit. Ill bet that is why there is a difference in the way the VIM behaves in early vs late models.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:59 PM

Not sure that it does. Heard form Midcity yesterday. They said they are working on getting the back-up camera to work automatically. They plan on offering a firmware update that would add it to the current VIM in the future. Left me with the impression that it is still not ready.

Let me be clear - my backup camera functions normally when you first start the car because the VIM automatically resets to off. However, if you are driving with the VIM on and you want to back into a space, you need to hold the mute button for two seconds to turn the VIM off. Not really a big deal.
I get it Sir. I haven't tried it as I am waiting to receive the module (anyday now) and try it. But I am much more of aware of its installation and working thanks to some brilliant inputs from experienced members like yourself too that have it running...
Old 02-21-2008, 06:42 PM

S550 / S430 / E320
Originally Posted by XJ9
I think maybe its because there is a difference between 2007 and 2008 models in the way the backup camera works: Original 2007 w221 and the early build 2008's had a seperate camera module in the back that actually triggered the front screen to switch to backup view. All current 2008's no longer have that module in the back but rather it is built into the front unit. Ill bet that is why there is a difference in the way the VIM behaves in early vs late models.
This would make sense as I believe trumpet1's is an 07 and mine is an August build 08
Old 02-21-2008, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
This would make sense as I believe trumpet1's is an 07 and mine is an August build 08

Yes! Mine is a 10/06 build. I think I just sneaked past some of the earlier, unwanted complications of earlier builds such as extra satellite pod on the trunklid , less advanced headrests, and some other things I'm glad I didn't have to deal with such as minor recall/flaws, etc.....
Overall, I am very pleased with my car. Fantastic in every way and their is not a day I drive it that I'm not amazed with it. It's like stepping into a new car everyday as most cars I've bought in the past start to get boring to me within 18 months, but this car is just awesome.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:26 AM

S550 / S430 / E320
Heard from MIDciy. It's only on the 08 that the backup camera is blocked.

"Yes, the 2007's and even some of the first 2008's did not have this issue because of the way the camera function worked: The park-assist module was seperate and actually turned on the rear image so it was not affected. The later 2008's have no separate park-assist module at all; it is all incorporated into the radio itself and the changed values of the gear position causes the issue."

There working on a firmware update but it really isn't a big issue. I can't complain becaue mine came with Blind spot assist and parking guidance.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:48 AM

S550 / S430 / E320
Yes! Mine is a 10/06 build. I think I just sneaked past some of the earlier, unwanted complications of earlier builds such as extra satellite pod on the trunklid , less advanced headrests, and some other things I'm glad I didn't have to deal with such as minor recall/flaws, etc.....
Overall, I am very pleased with my car. Fantastic in every way and their is not a day I drive it that I'm not amazed with it. It's like stepping into a new car everyday as most cars I've bought in the past start to get boring to me within 18 months, but this car is just awesome.
I would agree with trumpet1 on this point. I am very particular and critical of the smallest flaw in the cars I own. This one has fewer than any car I have ever owned. It's just a joy to drive - smoother than I ever thought a car could be - very quiet, no rattles, no squeaks, and the performance and driving experience is second to none. The number of nice features is amazing. The quality of materials is impressive. I had to adjust the drivers door latch to make the door align correctly, but other than that, I've done nothing and nothing has gone wrong. Hopefully, the press will give Mercedes the credit they deserve for a job well done. Six months in and I still look forward to driving it just as much as the day I got it - even more now that I know how everything works.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: enable command DVD while moving for passanger