S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Sort of mad right now

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by love2skiutah
I did 186MPH in my Renntech'd S65. I did the same thing. It was a highway in Montana during the day with no cars around... It was a one time thing and I just had to do it... AMAZING feeling. All I can say is that it was a rush and that I will never do it again.... I actually recorded my speedometer by the passenger.

The tires and cops are the only thing that make me nervous. Good to hear from you. Haven't seen you on the forum much but of course I usually hang out here on the W221 mostly.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:04 AM
XJ9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350
Originally Posted by trumpet1
The tires and cops are the only thing that make me nervous. Good to hear from you. Haven't seen you on the forum much but of course I usually hang out here on the W221 mostly.

Yes thats true.. around here any ticket over 110 is pretty much a license suspension and anything above that usually gets you picking up trash on the side of the road for 10 days.

Still I had a chance to take out the stock S63 and I agree the performance is amazing.. its strange to feel such a big heavy car accelerate that fast.

btw: how has your experience been with the work renntech did.. seeing the gains you got has got me thinking about seeing what they can do with my C.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:53 AM

'09 S63 AMG
I did 186MPH in my Renntech'd S65. I did the same thing. It was a highway in Montana during the day with no cars around... It was a one time thing and I just had to do it... AMAZING feeling. All I can say is that it was a rush and that I will never do it again.... I actually recorded my speedometer by the passenger.

Wow!
Old 05-13-2008, 04:16 PM

I'm glad to see that Bob stepped up to help you out. We've been a RENNtech dealer for over 3 years now and only have the upmost amount of respect for RENNtech and there staff there. I'm sure that the speed limiter has been removed, it is typically moved to about 186 or 200mph.

enjoy! and get it dyno'd again once you get the 93 in there.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by James@Creative
I'm glad to see that Bob stepped up to help you out. We've been a RENNtech dealer for over 3 years now and only have the upmost amount of respect for RENNtech and there staff there. I'm sure that the speed limiter has been removed, it is typically moved to about 186 or 200mph.

enjoy! and get it dyno'd again once you get the 93 in there.
I don't have a commute to work to speak of so it's sometimes 2 weeks or more to get through a tank of gas. I'm still at half of a tank. Probably next week I'll put in the good stuff and then the next weekend or so, I'll get it dynoed again.
Yes, Bob and the guys did a great job and always get it back quickly. It was only down 2 days! I can tell already that the torque is awesome. I rarely tap into that much power....usually only when needing to squeeze into traffic while in a merging situation. Otherwise, you'd think I'm driving a 6 cylinder. I don't like to abuse my car.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Are you on a low tank yet???
Old 05-21-2008, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by AsianML
Are you on a low tank yet???
LOL.

I put in a full tank of 93 about 4 days ago (over $85), am about 3/4 full but right now I am in Dallas , TX without my car. I will return Friday night to my home and maybe Saturday I can get it re dynoed. thanks for the reminder.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Good to see Renntech helped you out there. If you ever come by the SoCal area and want a speed rush, let me know. I have a CLS55 with K4 an a brand spanking new SL63 you can test out.

As for the S65 it truly is rush, my father wanted an S65 instead of his S600 and just this week, I traded it in for him. The S65 is a true beast in every aspect.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:20 AM

S350 - 2008
It must be COOOL feeling when you drive at such speed. I like very high speed, but I never have experince of driving my car like a rocket , it must be awsome, unfortuntly the max speed that I can get from my car is 150 mph no more..
Old 05-24-2008, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Does anyone know if there is a set universal standard as to where the value for HP and TQ is derived from..... Is it at the flywheel, or the rear wheel?????

I want to know which location does MB, Renntech, Carlsson, Wald, Brabus, etc, derive their numbers from? Are they always quoting flywheel TQ and HP just to give us a high number?

My hunch is the flywheel , but I may be wrong. If it is the rear wheel, then I'm not even getting the advertised stock MB S600 HP or TQ !!!!!!

Last edited by trumpet1; 05-24-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:25 PM

'08 CL63
Does anyone know if there is a set universal standard as to where the value for HP and TQ is derived from..... Is it at the flywheel, or the rear wheel?????

I want to know which location does MB, Renntech, Carlsson, Wald, Brabus, etc, derive their numbers from? Are they always quoting flywheel TQ and HP just to give us a high number?

In other words, if you were looking at any car's advertised HP/TQ numbers, which location are you to assume the company is referring to? Flywheel or rear wheel?

My hunch is the flywheel , but I may be wrong. If it is the rear wheel, then I'm not even getting the advertised stock MB S600 HP or TQ !!!!!!
Flywheel.

Dave
Old 05-24-2008, 10:30 PM

Turbonetics G35
Originally Posted by WSH
Trumpet, have no doubt you were thoughtful in terms of where to test such speeds....

Having done my own "testing" of my prior '07 CL600, I suspect real issues w/600 in terms of 100++ MPH are tires, steering, chassis, brakes and generally poor US pavement.....

Now drive CL63 030 (186 MPH limited), but top speeds are fairly meaningless to me....have always argued precision/stability at 125++MPH has various controversial risk/reward considerations, even in Germany...

And fully agree...aftermkt stuff is almost always a waste of money....the latest/greatest factory-spec stuff is usually best available tech; am always amused how my dealer (a very good major dealer where I'm treated very well) can barely deliver my cars w/appropriate tire P's and accomplish minor stuff like topping my oil or doing an oil change....wouldn't trust any (even reputed) post-factory place to do much else....

Have no issues w/frequently trading-in AMGs to get new copies of latest/greatest-tech, but refuse to waste my money on anything aftermkt or on any major svc costs...would rather deploy money for new, latest/greatest-tech cars more often....will argue today's cars are rather akin to smartphones....who wants a >1-2yo Blkberry/iPhone????

I agree with you on buying factory tuned cars and leaving them be.

There is nothing better than a fast factory tuned car, you get none of the noises, smells, or problems that cars with tons of aftermarket upgrades have.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:40 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65

In other words, if you were looking at any car's advertised HP/TQ numbers, which location are you to assume the company is referring to? Flywheel or rear wheel?

Trumpet, my view is all the pseudo-quantitative hp/tq values mean very little to anyone w/a 3-digit IQ....

I tend to drive any of these cars on real-world fast fwys and mtn twisties.....and assess qualitative, subjective mid-range accel, precision/stability, braking, etc vs real-world, sometimes bumpy, wet roads....and draw own conclusions....

And mfrs are always iterating cars...esp consider that easier, more intra-MY debugs/refinements are poss in era of advcd software/hardware....for ex., my '07 SL65 had simply awful tq/trac balance....would drive my '07 CL600....and currently drive my underpowered CL63 030 faster in most conds than my SL65....

Recently test-drove '08 CL65....was fairly impressed w/tq/trac balance....

Recently rd a review of '09 SL65 in which reviewer indicated he was told AMG titrated throttle response of 65 for better trac balance in certain maneuvers....and reviewer seemed impressed w/latest changes....

Overall dynamics are far more complex than any claimed hp/tq....or 0-xxx MPH value....

BTW, I also have a <5mi daily commute (I wish I had the 80mi+ SF-MenloPk daily roundtrip commute)....it's almost criminal to not explore cars like these on interesting nearby rds on wkend AMs....I had immense fun driving my humble CL600 in mtn twisties and esp on fast fwys....
Old 05-24-2008, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
I won't do it again, that's for sure.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:06 PM

'08 CL63
I won't do it again, that's for sure.
What do u mean "you won't do it again"? You mean the Rentech mod?
Old 05-24-2008, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by Rider1
What do u mean "you won't do it again"? You mean the Rentech mod?
Yes.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63

I know MB gives numbers from the flywheel, I think all other tuners give numbers from the flywheel as well. I believe they dyno cars and then calculate for drivetrain loss and compare that number to the advertised hp.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Yes.
Trumpet,
Why such a change of heart?
What went wrong?
Mark.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by markopolo
Trumpet,
Why such a change of heart?
What went wrong?
Mark.

Nothing went wrong. It's just that the car already had enough stock power for American roadways and I guess I wished that I had used that money for adding the AMG package instead. That's about the only thing that I can think of missing on an S600.
That would have made a bigger impact on the car than power. Let's face it, in USA, we have no reason to go over 80 mph in some instances and a car with 600+ ft/lb of TQ will be plenty enough to zip through a tight spot any day.
But nothing went wrong. I guess what I'm saying is I wish I could have gotten an S65
Old 05-27-2008, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Nothing went wrong. It's just that the car already had enough stock power for American roadways and I guess I wished that I had used that money for adding the AMG package instead. That's about the only thing that I can think of missing on an S600.
That would have made a bigger impact on the car than power. Let's face it, in USA, we have no reason to go over 80 mph in some instances and a car with 600+ ft/lb of TQ will be plenty enough to zip through a tight spot any day.
But nothing went wrong. I guess what I'm saying is I wish I could have gotten an S65
For us, it's not so much about the raw numbers (although we do get nice improvements). I personally test our tuning to deliver the best power delivery. In other words, when attacking a twisty road or track (or just attempting a pass), the power comes on sooner and stays longer, and by power I mean tq. Tq is what you fell when you put your foot down. I am all about 'real world' driving..... not just the numbers.

Take the SL55 for instance. In stock form the SC kicks on around 2200-2500 RPM. One of the things that we do is get the SC to kick on around 1400 RPM. That alone will give the car a nice kick in performance from a real world side.

btw... there is a really nice and very empty road in NV that one can hit 200 mph in an SL55.... but I wouldn't know anything about that!
Old 05-27-2008, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
I'm now on the 2nd full tank of 93 octane after burning up that 89 octane gas as my driving has picked up a bit lately. I hope to get by the dyno shop and do another test on it. I'll post the results ASAP. I hope to see at least a 5% improvement maybe.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:20 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Trumpet, it's all about how car behaves/reassures on one's favorite local rds....

Fund prob w/600 is, even w/its factory-spec steering/brakes/chassis, feel somewhat uncomfortable driving it very briskly, esp if accustomed to CL63 030/65 dynamics....many forget that theoretic hp/tq/accel/speed is meaningless unless chassis engineering/dynamics isn't over-compensating....

There are several urban fwys in CA which flow at 80+MPH in rush-hr.....so relevance of tq is local-dependent....doubt there are any urban fwys in mythical Germany that daily-stress-test tq/precision/stability/safety like 280 on SF Peninsula....

And have always argued tq/trac balance is critical...many iterations of factory-spec 65s had disappointing tq/trac balance....so much so that many jaded repeat new 65 buyers are now CL63 030 addicts....

To AMG's credit, they seem to be working hard to refine 65's tq/trac balance in subsequent iterations....I'll get '09 CL65 to see if true....if underwhelming, will simply revert to '09 CL63 030....if AMG struggles w/basic tq/trac balance and steering/brakes/chassis balance, it's simply laughable when any aftermkt shop attempts to "dial-in" more hp/tq.....there's no "free lunch" in many aspects of life or real-world dynamics/safety of any car....
Old 05-28-2008, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by WSH
Trumpet, it's all about how car behaves/reassures on one's favorite local rds....

Fund prob w/600 is, even w/its factory-spec steering/brakes/chassis, feel somewhat uncomfortable driving it very briskly, esp if accustomed to CL63 030/65 dynamics....many forget that theoretic hp/tq/accel/speed is meaningless unless chassis engineering/dynamics isn't over-compensating....

There are several urban fwys in CA which flow at 80+MPH in rush-hr.....so relevance of tq is local-dependent....doubt there are any urban fwys in mythical Germany that daily-stress-test tq/precision/stability/safety like 280 on SF Peninsula....

And have always argued tq/trac balance is critical...many iterations of factory-spec 65s had disappointing tq/trac balance....so much so that many jaded repeat new 65 buyers are now CL63 030 addicts....

To AMG's credit, they seem to be working hard to refine 65's tq/trac balance in subsequent iterations....I'll get '09 CL65 to see if true....if underwhelming, will simply revert to '09 CL63 030....if AMG struggles w/basic tq/trac balance and steering/brakes/chassis balance, it's simply laughable when any aftermkt shop attempts to "dial-in" more hp/tq.....there's no "free lunch" in many aspects of life or real-world dynamics/safety of any car....
The brakes are one thing I can sense are slightly weak on my car even though I've never driven an AMG before.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Talking

I'm not mad anymore
Old 06-03-2008, 10:16 PM

Great to hear that your 600 is performing correct!

Have you had a chance to get it dynoed?

Let me know if you would like some pricing to improve your braking power.

Maybe its time to look into some brembos

James