S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Sort of mad right now

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Sort of mad right now

I know many of you will cringe when you read this but I assure you I was very careful and made sure I was around no one when I did this. OK, here's the thing: I was looking at a thread on the W220 forum about a guy that videotaped his car doing 130 mph. I watched his video and said to myself, heck, I've never really stretched the legs on my S600 with the Renntech upgrade. So I went to an open area of interstate that never has many cars on it at this time of the evening. Bingo! I found a full mile ahead of me with no cars and stomped on it. What a surge! However, I was dissappointed when I hit 135mph. Apparently my Renntech upgrade has been altered. As I passed 135mph, it apparently is still limited to 130ish and wouldn't go any faster as the stall was clearly present. I've never gone that fast before in a car and probably never will again but I at least wanted to experience 140 or so just once while in possession of this luxo-beast.
My service tech knows I had this done and respectfully said he would leave the ECU and TCU alone knowing how much I paid to have this upgrade done. I bet the HP and TQ are not where they should be either.
P.S. I don't drive like this at all on a regular basis by no stretch of the imagination and never would recommend it on non-autobahn highways. But I thought I should try just once in my lifetime. Now please be easy on me with the bashing and scolding

Last edited by trumpet1; 05-02-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by trumpet1
I know many of you will cringe when you read this but I assure you I was very careful and made sure I was around no one when I did this. OK, here's the thing: I was looking at a thread on the W220 forum about a guy that videotaped his car doing 130 mph. I watched his video and said to myself, heck, I've never really stretched the legs on my S600 with the Renntech upgrade. So I went to an open area of interstate that never has many cars on it at this time of the evening. Bingo! I found a full mile ahead of me with no cars and stomped on it. What a surge! However, I was dissappointed when I hit 135mph. Renntech told me they removed the 130 mph limiter and re-limited it to 188 mph. WRONG! As I passed 135mph, it apparently is still limited to 130ish and wouldn't go any faster as the stall was clearly present. I got ripped off by Renntech as I wanted to get up to around 150. I've never gone that fast before in a car and probably never will but I at least wanted to experience 140 or so just once while in possession of this luxo-beast.
My service tech knows I had this done and respectfully said he would leave the ECU and TCU alone knowing how much I paid to have this done. I bet the HP and TQ are not where they should be either. That being said, I'm not so sure I would recommend these aftermarket electronic performance upgrades as you never really know what you're getting and also there just is no place on American highways where this can be used. So, I just wasted over $5K as far as I'm concerned.

P.S. I don't drive like this at all on a regular basis by no stretch of the imagination and never would recommend it on non-autobahn highways. But I thought I should try just once in my lifetime. Now please be easy on me with the bashing and scolding
Well I would take that back to them - and either get your cash back - or have them fix the problem - and DYNO it to prove to you that they gave you what you purchased.

Just my $.02.

It is a lot of money to burn up if it is not giving you what you purchased.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Get a dyno and see if it's putting down the right numbers, as advertised.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
There is a dyno shop just 3 miles from my house. Might just do that tomorrow. The biggest problem is that I won't be able to prove that my service tech didn't erase it all at a service visit.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S600 ; 1999 E55 (sold)
Renntech will reflash it for you...but i would be surprised if tcu is overwritten. That would be extremely rare for dealer to flash this unless you complained of tranny slipping.
How long did you have the car before rennteching it?

I had a good baseline on the 600 because I had the car, then put Evotech on it, then took it off, back to stock, then put Speedtuning ECU, then Speedtuning TCU a month later. I can tell the difference - but Renntech is much more extreme so you would know if the ecu/tcu is gone.
I would think just the limiter is missing, not the entire tune.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:36 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Trumpet, have no doubt you were thoughtful in terms of where to test such speeds....

Having done my own "testing" of my prior '07 CL600, I suspect real issues w/600 in terms of 100++ MPH are tires, steering, chassis, brakes and generally poor US pavement.....

Now drive CL63 030 (186 MPH limited), but top speeds are fairly meaningless to me....have always argued precision/stability at 125++MPH has various controversial risk/reward considerations, even in Germany...

And fully agree...aftermkt stuff is almost always a waste of money....the latest/greatest factory-spec stuff is usually best available tech; am always amused how my dealer (a very good major dealer where I'm treated very well) can barely deliver my cars w/appropriate tire P's and accomplish minor stuff like topping my oil or doing an oil change....wouldn't trust any (even reputed) post-factory place to do much else....

Have no issues w/frequently trading-in AMGs to get new copies of latest/greatest-tech, but refuse to waste my money on anything aftermkt or on any major svc costs...would rather deploy money for new, latest/greatest-tech cars more often....will argue today's cars are rather akin to smartphones....who wants a >1-2yo Blkberry/iPhone????
Old 05-01-2008, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 233 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by WSH
have always argued precision/stability at 125++MPH has various controversial risk/reward considerations, even in Germany...
Not sure what you're referring to. I've had mine above 130 MPH for several 30 mile stretches of I-5, and a few sustained bursts at 150, and the stability was very confidence-inspiring. The handling stayed controlled; there was no twitchiness whatsoever. The risks involve other traffic, and how fast it can appear out of nowhere. But the S-class chassis seems to hunker down and get more firmly attached to the road above 100 MPH. It makes you realize how much of these cars' potential we never see realized.

Trending Topics

Old 05-02-2008, 12:01 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Originally Posted by whoover
Not sure what you're referring to. I've had mine above 130 MPH for several 30 mile stretches of I-5, and a few sustained bursts at 150, and the stability was very confidence-inspiring. The handling stayed controlled; there was no twitchiness whatsoever. The risks involve other traffic, and how fast it can appear out of nowhere. But the S-class chassis seems to hunker down and get more firmly attached to the road above 100 MPH. It makes you realize how much of these cars' potential we never see realized.
Agree w/you...it's not stability of S/CL63/65 I'm worried about...it's other drivers, even in Germany....and, in US, it's the generally poor pavement, except on well-known stretches of certain fwys....
Old 05-02-2008, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by abenner5
Renntech will reflash it for you...but i would be surprised if tcu is overwritten. That would be extremely rare for dealer to flash this unless you complained of tranny slipping.
How long did you have the car before rennteching it?

I had a good baseline on the 600 because I had the car, then put Evotech on it, then took it off, back to stock, then put Speedtuning ECU, then Speedtuning TCU a month later. I can tell the difference - but Renntech is much more extreme so you would know if the ecu/tcu is gone.
I would think just the limiter is missing, not the entire tune.

I believe the HP and TQ are still there as I never noticed a change after Renntech did its thing. I'm just disappointed in the limiter. Not that I will be doing those speeds anyway, but the fact of the matter is, I paid to have it done.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by WSH
Trumpet, have no doubt you were thoughtful in terms of where to test such speeds....

Having done my own "testing" of my prior '07 CL600, I suspect real issues w/600 in terms of 100++ MPH are tires, steering, chassis, brakes and generally poor US pavement.....
Yes, my original mission was to put more air in my tires so I did that first (38 lbs per tire).

The stretch of road I was on was newly paved and smooth as glass. Very rare find around this part of the country.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
I believe the HP and TQ are still there as I never noticed a change after Renntech did its thing. I'm just disappointed in the limiter. Not that I will be doing those speeds anyway, but the fact of the matter is, I paid to have it done.
In my old '04 S600 the gain was just 40hp at the wheels,a far cry from Renntech claimed 100hp.
Similar situation with SL65 and Kleemann.
I always did dyno test before and after to have the REAL numbers.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
In 30 minutes I'll be having my car dyno'ed. I'll report back the news. Hopefully I can post the actual paperwork I get back.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 S430, 2004 Cobra, 2004 Tahoe
I'd be a little upset as well if they were supposed to remove the speed limiter...will be interesting to see what kind of numbers the 600 puts to the wheels...Im guessing 480ish hp and torque
Old 05-02-2008, 02:17 PM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
That sucks. I did not know that the 600 was limited to 130mph. I know AMG's are limited to 155 without 030 option. I have easily seen over 135 in my SLK.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by Blk04cobra1
I'd be a little upset as well if they were supposed to remove the speed limiter...will be interesting to see what kind of numbers the 600 puts to the wheels...Im guessing 480ish hp and torque

Wow! What a great guess. The numbers we got this afternoon were

AT THE REAR WHEEL:

HP was at 470 and the TQ was 580. Now let me say, I was impressed as I made a goof up yesterday by accidentally putting in regular grade fuel instead of the highest grade (I think it is 93 in my area). He said the numbers would have been about 20 to 30 points higher each if I had used the supreme unleaded as it was very clear on the graph where the engine knocked and the computer backed the power down a tad in compensation. I really was furious with myself as I have always used the best fuel. Taking into consideration that I didn't come fully prepared, I think that the most important part of my Renntech upgrade was verified to be good. The torque and HP are the most important parts as I'm never going to exceed 85-90 mph anyway and I never go over 75 most of the time. So the 130mph limiter doesn't mean as much to me as the performance part.

The evaluator said he felt that at the flywheel I'm most likely getting the "as advertised" HP of at least 610 and TQ of around 720. He wants me to come back in 3 weeks with the better fuel and do this again.
Once I do, I'll report back.

Does anyone have dyno results on a non-Renntech S600?
Old 05-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Banned

07 S550 & 08 335i
There is a dyno shop just 3 miles from my house. Might just do that tomorrow. The biggest problem is that I won't be able to prove that my service tech didn't erase it all at a service visit.
If in fact your service tech did erase it, it would be noted on your service ticket something along the lines of "ECU re-flashed." Also, most Renntech service centers keep your original file saved in their logs. All they would haveto do, is just re-flash your stock file, then re-flash it again with the newest Renntech file. You should be good as new...

Alex
Old 05-02-2008, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by Alex@wheelexperts
If in fact your service tech did erase it, it would be noted on your service ticket something along the lines of "ECU re-flashed." Also, most Renntech service centers keep your original file saved in their logs. All they would haveto do, is just re-flash your stock file, then re-flash it again with the newest Renntech file. You should be good as new...

Alex
My service B papers did show "ECU flashed", but I asked the service tech did they indeed do this and the S.A. said no. This is just something that automatically gets generated by the computer when you step up to pay for the service. The tech said they are aware of my Renntech mods and they understand not to truly do this flash. I need to call Bob at Renntech and ask him if I should send the modules back.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
I just talked to Bob and he is going to take a look at my ECU and make sure it is taken care of. He said the numbers weren't too bad but that after a reflash and using proper fuel, we should have those numbers up a good bit and also remove that limiter while he's at it.
From this point on, I will talk directly to the mechanic (not just the SA) to ensure that no one tampers with the ECU. I really don't know if it was tampered with but at least I will make sure from this point on.

Renntech is a really good company with fabulous people working there. I might add, I may have been a victim of Evotech (let's not get into that!)

I edited my original post because I unfairly stated things against Renntech. I was caught up in the heat of the moment of disappointment and said things without fully researching the matter.

Last edited by trumpet1; 05-02-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 S430, 2004 Cobra, 2004 Tahoe
nice numbers, looks like Renntech (as usual) is putting out a product that is as advertised...will be interesting to see what happens when you put the better fuel in the tank.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by Blk04cobra1
nice numbers, looks like Renntech (as usual) is putting out a product that is as advertised...will be interesting to see what happens when you put the better fuel in the tank.
No matter what, I'm impressed with the power of this engine considering it's pulling such a heavy load. I just want to make sure it is performing at its peak.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
I sent my ECM back to Renntech today. I hope they can determine if my MB dealer erased the limiter setting and altered any performance files.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:15 AM

2003 S600 ; 1999 E55 (sold)
dyno

Trumpet,

My baseline for my stock S600 was 415 hp and 495 tq. So I think you have quite a nice gain from the Renntech, I am sure you will sort out the limiter issues!!!

Have you test driven an S65 and compared it to your setup? I did recently and the chipped S600's torque certainly seems very close to the (stock) S65...

That was on 91 octane gas, unfortunately Houston doesnt have the 93 which is a big drawback!!!

Last edited by abenner5; 05-04-2008 at 01:15 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 05-04-2008, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by abenner5
Trumpet,

My baseline for my stock S600 was 415 hp and 495 tq. So I think you have quite a nice gain from the Renntech, I am sure you will sort out the limiter issues!!!

Have you test driven an S65 and compared it to your setup? I did recently and the chipped S600's torque certainly seems very close to the (stock) S65...

That was on 91 octane gas, unfortunately Houston doesnt have the 93 which is a big drawback!!!

The only 65 I've ever driven was a used 05 SL65 about 2 weeks ago. Wow that thing was definitely fast. I know it is a lighter car. I would love to test drive an S65 but my dealer has not gotten one in over 18 months as far as I know and I really hate to test drive a car I have no intention of getting. I feel that once I get that regular fuel out of the tank and fill it up with 93, and get the module double checked, I should be able to get the at the wheel HP up to 500 and TQ at 610. That would be awesome. I may can find out as early as 2 weeks from now.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Got my module back this morning, installed it, and everything seems fine. I'm not going to do any pushing of it until I get that regular grade fuel out of it

Might be 2 weeks because I don't drive much in my S class.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:50 PM

S65 Renntech'd, GL450, Super Charged Range Rover
I did 186MPH in my Renntech'd S65. I did the same thing. It was a highway in Montana during the day with no cars around... It was a one time thing and I just had to do it... AMAZING feeling. All I can say is that it was a rush and that I will never do it again.... I actually recorded my speedometer by the passenger.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sort of mad right now