S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Power door close assist question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:23 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Power door close assist question...

I have just noticed that my front passenger power door assist does not appear to be pulling the door shut. My dealer recently put in some new/larger clips to attach the door lining more solidly and I wonder if they turned this functionality off. Is there an easy way to turn this back on? I was wondering if this is something like a child lock switch but I can not find anything in the manual. (All 3 other doors work fine)

Chris
Old 05-15-2008, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 310 Likes on 228 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
I have just noticed that my front passenger power door assist does not appear to be pulling the door shut. My dealer recently put in some new/larger clips to attach the door lining more solidly and I wonder if they turned this functionality off. Is there an easy way to turn this back on? I was wondering if this is something like a child lock switch but I can not find anything in the manual. (All 3 other doors work fine)

Chris
They probably disconnected a hose. There is nothing you can do but bring it back to them.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:51 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Curious....for what are the new clips in door lining....to cure rattles/squeaking?

My sense from various P boards (new P's are notorious for endless squeaks/rattles, esp on bumpy US roads) is that chasing such sounds w/disassembly of panels, etc often creates many iatrogenic complications....truly is a controversial cost/benefit bet in deciding to try to cure any annoying noises....some of which "self-cure" anyway....
Old 05-16-2008, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by WSH
Curious....for what are the new clips in door lining....to cure rattles/squeaking?

My sense from various P boards (new P's are notorious for endless squeaks/rattles, esp on bumpy US roads) is that chasing such sounds w/disassembly of panels, etc often creates many iatrogenic complications....truly is a controversial cost/benefit bet in deciding to try to cure any annoying noises....some of which "self-cure" anyway....
I actually had a problem fix itself with my cupholder door. Not long after I bought the car, something would get hung up as I tried to shut the cupholder door (it opened fine). I had to force the door past a hang in the mechanism. Just this past month I've noticed it is working just fine. I don't know if something went ahead and finished breaking or if the hinge simply realigned itself, but nontheless, it is working just fine.

And no, it was not a coin jammed in there. I took it apart several times to make sure nothing had fallen into the mechanism. It just would hang up 80% of the time for over a year.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 310 Likes on 228 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by WSH
My sense from various P boards (new P's are notorious for endless squeaks/rattles, esp on bumpy US roads) is that chasing such sounds w/disassembly of panels, etc often creates many iatrogenic complications
You must either be a doctor or a lawyer.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:36 AM

2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Originally Posted by WSH

Yes a slight rattle was coming from the front passenger door - but only on rare occasions at a certain speed (40 mph) on a certain type of rough road surface. (We have those in the East Bay!)

My SA coincidentedly had received a factory notification that a small batch of cars went through the line with smaller clips attaching the door trim than usual and that in those rare occasions where a rattle has been reported they should be replaced with larger clips.

Mine was one of those cars apparently, the clips were replaced, and the problem has gone away. It was really no big deal - any human artifact of this complexity may have the odd issue that is no reflection on the overall quality or engineering of the product. My SA certainly takes care of me, he genuinely wants to ensure my car is 101% perfect, and keeps me informed about various factory bulletins that might be applicable. (It's like finding a good dentist/doctor etc)

You are right that many issues "self cure". In an adjacent post I mentioned some non-repetitive micro-audible ticks I can hear from the leather on my dash when starting from cold, but these go away after 5-10 minutes. (No doubt temperature adjustments in the materials and as I still have only have 6,600 miles on the clock the material interfaces must still be working in)

Chris
Old 05-16-2008, 12:58 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
cjf, totally understand....

Am OCD about any extraneous noises in my car (and I typically drive w/no music/radio on, as I enjoy exhaust music....so I more easily perceive any unusual noises given lack of other audio effects)....

Noticed some minor creaking in dash (seemingly from the carbon fiber central aspect of my dash nr climate ctrls) of my current CL63 030 at some ?5-6K mis, but only occurred once/twice on certain stretches of 101 on Peninsula (one of SF's worst fwys) or certain bumpy SF streets....was incredibly annoyed....but the creaking quickly disappeared w/o any attempt at a fix, even on same rds at same speeds....and my CL at 12K mis remains tighter in apparent build than some new AMGs I've recently test-driven....incl CL65 w/<100mis and SL63 030 w/300 mis (that awful Pano roof was creaking incessantly on a bumpy PaloAlto street)...

Def is a difficult bet on when to "chase" such noises and when to let them "self-cure".....hope your dealer seamlessly resolves the door-close issue....
Old 05-16-2008, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
WSH, so what you're saying is that you take your car to a physician when you have certain minor issues and the physician may create even more issues???

I think you may be using "iatrogenic" incorrectly here...but I know what you were trying to say...

Last edited by BlackMamba24; 05-16-2008 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:02 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Originally Posted by whoover
You must either be a doctor or a lawyer.

whoover, interesting guess....

But neither accusation is true....am a financier....

BM24, true, "iatrogenic" is traditionally used in describing medical-related complications, but why not try to adapt an underutilized term to other, analogous situations????
Old 05-16-2008, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
I'm with ya, WSH...
Old 05-17-2008, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Yes a slight rattle was coming from the front passenger door - but only on rare occasions at a certain speed (40 mph) on a certain type of rough road surface. (We have those in the East Bay!)

My SA coincidentedly had received a factory notification that a small batch of cars went through the line with smaller clips attaching the door trim than usual and that in those rare occasions where a rattle has been reported they should be replaced with larger clips.

Mine was one of those cars apparently, the clips were replaced, and the problem has gone away. It was really no big deal - any human artifact of this complexity may have the odd issue that is no reflection on the overall quality or engineering of the product. My SA certainly takes care of me, he genuinely wants to ensure my car is 101% perfect, and keeps me informed about various factory bulletins that might be applicable. (It's like finding a good dentist/doctor etc)

You are right that many issues "self cure". In an adjacent post I mentioned some non-repetitive micro-audible ticks I can hear from the leather on my dash when starting from cold, but these go away after 5-10 minutes. (No doubt temperature adjustments in the materials and as I still have only have 6,600 miles on the clock the material interfaces must still be working in)

Chris
This is interesting because my passenger door (and only the front passenger door) has occasionally some rattle. If I press it from the centre, the rattle stops. I've asked the dealer to look at it when the car was new and again at the first service but I doubt they even noticed it.

But My car is older, from late 2006 while you seem to have a 2008 (is that MY or build?) car, if it is a small build, it should not concern these two cars.

Will have to have a look at some sources that describe these issues...
Old 05-17-2008, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
This is interesting because my passenger door (and only the front passenger door) has occasionally some rattle. If I press it from the centre, the rattle stops. I've asked the dealer to look at it when the car was new and again at the first service but I doubt they even noticed it.

But My car is older, from late 2006 while you seem to have a 2008 (is that MY or build?) car, if it is a small build, it should not concern these two cars. Will have to have a look at some sources that describe these issues...
Yes, my car is an early (US market) MY08 car. (Build date June 2007)

Chris
Old 05-18-2008, 03:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Yes, my car is an early (US market) MY08 car. (Build date June 2007)

Chris
Thanks, I did not find any info from MB on this, perhaps the info is made available by MBUSA only and Euro car owners are supposed to assume "this is normal".