S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Dynamic Rear View Monitor after COMAND update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Dynamic Rear View Monitor after COMAND update

I did not get any immediate replies "from the other forum", anybody wants to comment here:

I finally had Comand updated some time ago to the latest SW (bird's eye view, ETA on main display etc.). This is a 2006 (build date) car, so it does not have the Parking Guidance feature at the instrument cluster. Instead it has (or used to have) parallel parking and reverse parking options at the rear view camera menu.

I remember posts claiming that the dynamic lines had gone after the update. That should not happen and I know what needs to be done if the dynamic lines do not appear after Comand update. But my issue is different.

Now that I looked at my rear view monitor view, it does not look right. It looks like I had both the old dynamic lines display from the old rear view monitor control unit PLUS the fixed lines that the new cars have. And I don't have the parallel parking option (this is OK for new cars that have the Parking Guidance assist feature at the instrument cluster). But I have the "Back" button which does not appear on the figure from the current user guide. From the old user guide I can see this "Back" menu option but it should be accompanied with the parking style selection options.

I'm assuming this is still a coding issue, Comand should know that on this car it does not need to draw the lines as the camera module is doing it and this is not coded right. But what about the parallel versus reverse parking menu options? Anyone having the two options still after the Comand update?

Below a quote from the current user guide and a photo from my car.

Blue lines show the vehicle width Yellow guide line approximately 1.0 m Red guide line approximately 0.25 m Red guide line approximately 0.25 m and yellow guide line approximately 1.0 m show the approximate distance from the rear end of the vehicle. Blue line depicts the width required for the vehicle.

Last edited by Diesel Benz; 09-06-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 E 350, 2012 GLK 350, 2012 C300 4matic
I have the exact same result as you report after my update a while ago. Mine is one of the first '08 S63's in the states
Old 05-28-2008, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 GTR Roadster, 2020 GT63S
Originally Posted by Eddie Knopp
I have the exact same result as you report after my update a while ago. Mine is one of the first '08 S63's in the states
+1
Old 05-28-2008, 11:04 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
IIRC, my Jun07-build CL63 030 (has 3D nav, RTT, but pre-BlindSpotAssist) has same rear view lines as depicted in your pic....

What are the diffces btwn US and RoW rear-view cam systems/views/lines? For ex., I believe US still doesn't have Intelligent Headlamp System of RoW CLs (and '09 SLs)....
Old 05-28-2008, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Guys, I'm afraid you were looking at the first photo that is from the current Euro on-line manual. The second one (click the thumbnail to see it better) is what my car shows.

It is clearly the combined display of the current and the old one. The lines as shown in the figure from the manual are completely redundant on a 2006/2007 car.

Anyone having the menu option for parallel parking versus reverse parking after the Comand update? I'm assuming that should equally exist after the update (as well as the dynamic lines).
Old 05-28-2008, 01:00 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Indeed, was looking at first pic, not thumbnail...

Perhaps I'm not current on latest rear-view cams, but IIRC my '07 CL550 (?Oct06 build) had the dynamic guidance lines; my '07 CL600 (?Dec06 build) lacked the dynamic guidance lines....my recollection is dyn lines were removed in US-spec cars b/c of inept drivers who claimed they scuffed their wheels, etc when parking using the lines....

Don't know of any Comand menus to select Parallel Parking vs Reversing....I thought Parallel Parking feature didn't come to US b/c of litig concerns...
Old 05-28-2008, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WSH
Indeed, was looking at first pic, not thumbnail...

Perhaps I'm not current on latest rear-view cams, but IIRC my '07 CL550 (?Oct06 build) had the dynamic guidance lines; my '07 CL600 (?Dec06 build) lacked the dynamic guidance lines....my recollection is dyn lines were removed in US-spec cars b/c of inept drivers who claimed they scuffed their wheels, etc when parking using the lines....

Don't know of any Comand menus to select Parallel Parking vs Reversing....I thought Parallel Parking feature didn't come to US b/c of litig concerns...
US could be different, my understanding is that the dynamic lines were removed from new Euro cars too, actually the quote from the current manual should confirm this.

But I have an older copy of the US manual too where the dynamic lines are shown. This manual clearly also shows the parallel and reverse parking menu options.
Attached Thumbnails Dynamic Rear View Monitor after COMAND update-w221_us_2007-rear-view-monitor_2.jpg  

Last edited by Diesel Benz; 09-06-2008 at 01:00 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 05-28-2008, 02:26 PM

2018 S63 Sedan and 2012 E350 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I did not get any immediate replies "from the other forum", anybody wants to comment here:

I finally had Comand updated some time ago to the latest SW (bird's eye view, ETA on main display etc.). This is a 2006 (build date) car, so it does not have the Parking Guidance feature at the instrument cluster. Instead it has (or used to have) parallel parking and reverse parking options at the rear view camera menu.

I remember posts claiming that the dynamic lines had gone after the update. That should not happen and I know what needs to be done if the dynamic lines do not appear after Comand update. But my issue is different.

Now that I looked at my rear view monitor view, it does not look right. It looks like I had both the old dynamic lines display from the old rear view monitor control unit PLUS the fixed lines that the new cars have. And I don't have the parallel parking option (this is OK for new cars that have the Parking Guidance assist feature at the instrument cluster). But I have the "Back" button which does not appear on the figure from the current user guide. From the old user guide I can see this "Back" menu option but it should be accompanied with the parking style selection options.

I'm assuming this is still a coding issue, Comand should know that on this car it does not need to draw the lines as the camera module is doing it and this is not coded right. But what about the parallel versus reverse parking menu options? Anyone having the two options still after the Comand update?

Below a quote from the current user guide and a photo from my car.

Blue lines show the vehicle width Yellow guide line approximately 1.0 m Red guide line approximately 0.25 m Red guide line approximately 0.25 m and yellow guide line approximately 1.0 m show the approximate distance from the rear end of the vehicle. Blue line depicts the width required for the vehicle.

Yes - Same thing happened when I got my command updated. I went back to the dealership and mentioned this problem. They recognized it and were able to fix it.

Thanks!!
Old 05-28-2008, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ahmadkshuja
Yes - Same thing happened when I got my command updated. I went back to the dealership and mentioned this problem. They recognized it and were able to fix it.

Thanks!!
Just for a clarification, when you say they fixed it, do you mean you got back a single set of dynamic lines (instead of those fixed lines combined with the dynamic ones)?

And what about the menu option for parallel/reverse parking?

The advice for missing dynamic lines is to code COMAND for "Rear view camera installed" and "Reversing camera: camera with parking assist". I guess the workshop did not tell they did this?

Anyway your case is clearly the same as I have and I'm pretty sure the above coding fixes the duplicated lines and the missing menu. I would be happy if someone can confirm this, it always helps when you can tell the MB workshop what exactly they have to do with the car.

In any case, thanks a lot for your comments.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:31 PM

2018 S63 Sedan and 2012 E350 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Just for a clarification, when you say they fixed it, do you mean you got back a single set of dynamic lines (instead of those fixed lines combined with the dynamic ones)?

And what about the menu option for parallel/reverse parking?

The advice for missing dynamic lines is to code COMAND for "Rear view camera installed" and "Reversing camera: camera with parking assist". I guess the workshop did not tell they did this?

Anyway your case is clearly the same as I have and I'm pretty sure the above coding fixes the duplicated lines and the missing menu. I would be happy if someone can confirm this, it always helps when you can tell the MB workshop what exactly they have to do with the car.

In any case, thanks a lot for your comments.
So, here was what happened. I got my navigation software updated. I got the Video option. However, when reversing, I did not get the option for "Parallel Parking". I still had my dynamic lines (red, yellow and blue). So, I took it to a different dealership and explained the problem. First, the Service Manager said that it might be that I would lose this feature with an upgrade. Then, one of the technicians was able to fix it. He told me that he had to go through feature by feature to ensure that the software was updated correctly. After that, I now have Video as well as all parking features when reversing (as original). So there is a way to fix it.

Hope that this helps!!
Old 05-28-2008, 10:43 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Let's step back for a sec....

I can barely recall which lines are in which iteration of S/CL rear-view cam...

Typically use my pkg tech ?2-3x daily for tight pkg in urban office garages/st pkg in front of restaurants...and have never suffered pkg scuffs/dings of any kind....

Have always found MB's front Parktronic/rt mirror tilt-down upon reversing ('09 SL63 030 lacks this)/rear-view cam to be superb devices to make any parking of my CL effortless and safe in any settings I choose (any more tight pkg situations too nr other cars are unacceptable anyway).....not clear what the relevance of all these silly colored lines is anyway...
Old 05-29-2008, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ahmadkshuja
So, here was what happened. I got my navigation software updated. I got the Video option. However, when reversing, I did not get the option for "Parallel Parking". I still had my dynamic lines (red, yellow and blue). So, I took it to a different dealership and explained the problem. First, the Service Manager said that it might be that I would lose this feature with an upgrade. Then, one of the technicians was able to fix it. He told me that he had to go through feature by feature to ensure that the software was updated correctly. After that, I now have Video as well as all parking features when reversing (as original). So there is a way to fix it.

Hope that this helps!!
Thanks, this certainly helps, I was a bit unsure about the parallel/reverse parking options but your experience confirms those would remain after the appropriate version coding.

Actually I found a document specifically mentioning the parallel/reverse parking options that should remain available after the update.

Video was already available on Euro cars before the update.