S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

S600 engine making whining noise...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2024 S580 | 2024 Escalade ESV Sport Plat | 2022 X5M Competition
S600 engine making whining noise...

Just thought I would document my recent service visit here for others and for future reference.
Recently I noticed a whining noise from the engine area when I would accelerate. It also seemed like the engine was not running as smooth and there was a loss of power. I took it to the dealer and here is what they did, as stated on the receipt.

"Idler pulley on right cam cover run vehicle and check for noise, whining noise located whine at pulley that sits on right cam cover this pulley was replaced at another dealer with old pulley version. new pulley is avail. and can only be repl. with cam cover, as it mounts differently r&r right air box drain coolant r&r air pump r&r pulley r&r coolant hose with integrated thermostat housing to access cam cover bolts. r&r front section of valve cover, and ignition coil r&r cam cover clean sealing area apply sealant and new gaskets install new updated cam cover install new updated pulley refill coolant, run vehicle, noise is no longer present."

The noise is indeed gone and I feel the car is running smoother and back to full power. Oh and we have just about 30k miles on it now.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 S63 Sedan and 2012 E350 Cabriolet
Sorry to hear that. I hope that it does not give you any more troubles.

Thanks!!
Old 06-19-2008, 11:52 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Thx for the update...always interesting to try to understand 600/65 motor issues...(know enough new 65's that were lemoned for motor-specific issues that I'm intrigued to understand why MB/AMG can't optimize these motors)....

Dealer's descrip of repair is somewhat cryptic to me....is this dealer known for competent svc for new S/CLs....or just another clueless "high-vol" dealer.....
Old 06-20-2008, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by ///MB
Just thought I would document my recent service visit here for others and for future reference.
Recently I noticed a whining noise from the engine area when I would accelerate. It also seemed like the engine was not running as smooth and there was a loss of power. I took it to the dealer and here is what they did, as stated on the receipt.

"Idler pulley on right cam cover run vehicle and check for noise, whining noise located whine at pulley that sits on right cam cover this pulley was replaced at another dealer with old pulley version. new pulley is avail. and can only be repl. with cam cover, as it mounts differently r&r right air box drain coolant r&r air pump r&r pulley r&r coolant hose with integrated thermostat housing to access cam cover bolts. r&r front section of valve cover, and ignition coil r&r cam cover clean sealing area apply sealant and new gaskets install new updated cam cover install new updated pulley refill coolant, run vehicle, noise is no longer present."

The noise is indeed gone and I feel the car is running smoother and back to full power. Oh and we have just about 30k miles on it now.
Mine did the same thing but my dealer got it right the first time. My idler pulley went out at 17000miles. If you got the correct parts on it for sure this time, the worries on this matter should be over. Honestly, I feel this should be a recall and get all of them replaced because some folks are going to have this happen to them after the warranty is over.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:10 AM

I hope I don't have any more problems with this as well. I don't recall when the first time was. I'd have to look at the old service records.

Is there only 1 idler pulley? It sounds like they replaced the right side. So, I'm assuming there is one on the left side as well.

Last edited by ///MB; 06-21-2008 at 03:30 AM.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
I hope I don't have any more problems with this as well. I don't recall when the first time was. I'd have to look at the old service records.

Is there only 1 idler pulley? It sounds like they replaced the right side. So, I'm assuming there is one on the left side as well.

Seems that there are two but I'm not positive. I do know though that mine was the one on the car's right side.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
I'm afraid my idler pulley is going bad again. I am hearing that whining sound again.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:44 PM

Sorry to hear about your idler pulley.

If it makes you feel any better, we recently had another whining noise, a ticking noise and a groaning noise all at the same time. It started right after we picked up the car from service, so I turned around and took it back.

It took them a week to find the problem and fix it. Turned out to be an ABC pump and something else I believe. I'll have pull my service records to see what they did.

I think the $7k mercedes extended warranty is starting to look better.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Sorry to hear about your idler pulley.

If it makes you feel any better, we recently had another whining noise, a ticking noise and a groaning noise all at the same time. It started right after we picked up the car from service, so I turned around and took it back.

It took them a week to find the problem and fix it. Turned out to be an ABC pump and something else I believe. I'll have pull my service records to see what they did.

I think the $7k mercedes extended warranty is starting to look better.

It turned out to be a stick stuck under the car!!!! Must have ran over it just right to lodge it midway under the car. Everything is fine
Old 10-31-2008, 01:02 AM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by trumpet1
It turned out to be a stick stuck under the car!!!! Must have ran over it just right to lodge it midway under the car. Everything is fine
trumpet1, you can really come up with some good ones.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
My idler pulley just went on me. Guys with the m275 engine, if you hear a initial whining sound at start up but then it goes... replace your pulley. It is very inexpensive and will save you headachs